Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2021, 21:58   #7201
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Sorry about this. We are working to have it fixed. In the interim, have you tried clicking the "Remember Me" checkbox when you log in?
Yes, I do have the checkbox selected when logging in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
There is definitely an issue that we are working to resolve.
Thanks, it seems to have been resolved for me today. I haven't faced the problem after logging in today. I will check tomorrow again and report here if I see the problem again.
Old 3rd September 2021, 22:49   #7202
BHPian

@Rehaan
I have a suggestion, don't know whether it would be practical or whether it would become a burden to the servers. My suggestion is that we could have a guest membership for our site and provide certain features like
  1. subscribing or saving a thread, post etc.
  2. option to use different background. I use BHP black (it can be considered as a dark theme).
These guests may not be allowed to write a post, but other than that they could be given some features like the ones I mentioned and some more which won't finally affect the quality of our forum but still we could show our love to our lakhs of readers.

Would like to know other BHPian's opinion about it. comment.

P.S. I have a friend who keeps certain threads which he follows open in his browser always or else he would have to keep using the search tab always. Even I used to do this before becoming a member.

Last edited by RR96 : 3rd September 2021 at 23:18.
Old 3rd September 2021, 23:38   #7203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR96 View Post
My suggestion is that we could have a guest membership for our site. Would like to know other BHPian's opinion about it. please comment.
Guest membership is a big NO from me, it does not add any value to our forum.

If anyone wants to become a member, they can always apply (like we did). If they qualify to become members, our Moderator team will approve them.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 3rd September 2021 at 23:39.
Cyborg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 04:43   #7204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Guest membership is a big NO from me, it does not add any value to our forum.

If anyone wants to become a member, they can always apply (like we did). If they qualify to become members, our Moderator team will approve them.
It is true that it won't add any value to the forum but it would be a big plus to our constant guests. Also on an other note if implemented the gap between member and guest would be reduced, the premium of being a member reduces.
Old 4th September 2021, 11:02   #7205
BHPian

Quote:
*SNIP*

P.S. I have a friend who keeps certain threads which he follows open in his browser always or else he would have to keep using the search tab always. Even I used to do this before becoming a member.
There's an amazing feature in web browsers that will help in such cases. It's variously called "bookmarks" or "favourites" etc. Your friend could use this feature instead of having to keep those tabs permanently open

Cheers
tilt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 12:23   #7206

I'm a newbie here. My suggestions are
1. Team-Bhp app for mobile phone
2. introduction of stories like in other social media apps.
Old 4th September 2021, 14:56   #7207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is true that it won't add any value to the forum but it would be a big plus to our constant guests. Also on an other note if implemented the gap between member and guest would be reduced, the premium of being a member reduces.
Firstly, why on earth would Team-BHP want to do something which doesn’t add any value to our forum. What you are suggesting would in fact deplete our value. Our forum quality is maintained because of the strict discipline enforced by our Moderator team, for accepting new members as well those already there.

Secondly, again, why reduce the gap between member and guest? Guests are more than welcome to read our informative content, we are already adding value to the world by doing that.

What you are suggesting is detrimental to our own interest, it’s like shooting ourselves in the foot.

No further engagement on this topic from my side. What needs to be said, has already been said.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 4th September 2021 at 14:57.
Old 4th September 2021, 18:31   #7208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoV View Post
There was one. It is long since dead. The way of the present and the future is to use your browser, just like on any other device, but on your mobile, select the mobile "skin"
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 20:33   #7209
BHPian

Quote:
Firstly, why on earth would Team-BHP want to do something which doesn’t add any value to our forum.
Although I don’t agree with suggestions made by RR96, I wholeheartedly disagree with the tone and content of your post.

Quote:
What you are suggesting would in fact deplete our value. Our forum quality is maintained because of the strict discipline enforced by our Moderator team, for accepting new members as well those already there.
Please explain this. How does providing guest members some generic features like bookmarking or selecting a theme deplete the forum quality. Once again, I don’t agree that we should be providing these features for guests. But at the same time, completely lost on the claims you made.

Quote:
Secondly, again, why reduce the gap between member and guest? Guests are more than welcome to read our informative content, we are already adding value to the world by doing that.
Tbhp is a community of members. But the Tbhp website by design is open for members as well as guests. Don’t forget that majority of us were guest readers at one point of time. Let’s not be arrogant and make this US vs the world thing.

My opinion is - Tbhp members are a fraction of the overall readership. Anything that helps bring more traffic to the website organically without compromising quality should be done. The forum in the past has helped guests who have reached out through contact us section. We should continue to do that even in the future. Whether it be through highlighting important issues or giving some features.

Quote:
No further engagement on this topic from my side. What needs to be said, has already been said.
That is called a shoot and scoot strategy. If everyone started doing this on every post, then Tbhp would become a monologue.

PS: I have seen other posts from your handle in the past. Found them informative and learnt from them as well. My reservations are against the content of the quoted post.

Last edited by warrioraks : 4th September 2021 at 20:47.
warrioraks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 22:16   #7210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
That is called a shoot and scoot strategy. If everyone started doing this on every post, then Tbhp would become a monologue.
Hello Warrioraks, let’s say I am making a one time exception to the shoot and scoot strategy (as you say ). To me, when I say I am not engaging on a particular topic anymore, it simply means there is no additional value I can add to the topic or I have said what I had to say.

There is absolutely nothing wrong “in the tone and/or content of my post”. No business/forum/enterprise takes on or introduces new feature/s or content unless it’s a value add to the business. Anything that doesn’t add value or improvement to the existing offering is a waste of time and resources. It has nothing to do with us or them or arrogance. It’s simply conducting business in an efficient, streamlined and disciplined manner.

Again, introducing guest members is a thing which brings in a host of administrative issues needing time and manpower to administer to. It adds zero value to Team-BHP while increasing administration exponentially vis-a-vis the current requirement.

If anyone wants to bookmark a page or thread simply do it in your browser, why does anyone need a guest membership to do that. It’s business sense my friend, not arrogance. What’s arrogance got to do with optimum utilisation of resources and cutting out or not introducing stuff which doesn’t contribute to your business.

If anyone who is reading our forum and is really interested in becoming a member, all they have to do is apply. If the application is deemed fit for entry, they are members. Don’t you think applying for a full membership is better than “guest membership”.

Hope you can understand where I am coming from now and after this clarification, especially for you I really have nothing more which may add value to this discussion, so good-bye for now.

Cheerio

Disclaimer: These are obviously my views on conducting business (this is not my business to run) and may differ from the founder and/or moderator views.

Last edited by Cyborg : 4th September 2021 at 22:40.
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 22:47   #7211
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@Rehaan
I have a suggestion, don't know whether it would be practical or whether it would become a burden to the servers. My suggestion is that we could have a guest membership for our site and provide certain features like
  1. subscribing or saving a thread, post etc.
  2. option to use different background. I use BHP black (it can be considered as a dark theme).
These guests may not be allowed to write a post, but other than that they could be given some features like the ones I mentioned and some more which won't finally affect the quality of our forum but still we could show our love to our lakhs of readers.

Would like to know other BHPian's opinion about it. comment.

First of all, welcome to the forum!

Here are my views on the 2 suggestions in your post.

Guests do have the option of using browser bookmarks to "save" their favourite threads as tilt above has already highlighted.

I mostly use T-BHP on my phone, and a lot of times use it without logging in. You do have the option of selecting the theme you like. Here is a screenshot I took just a while back. Unless ofcouse you meant something else?

T-BHP does give guests a voice (which I regard as a far more important thing) from time to time. We have innumerable posts across various threads now from "guests", contributed via the contact us section. In case he is not aware of it, you can share it with your friend too. He can contribute while he waits for the membership to get approved

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-screenshot_20210904180038_brave.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoV View Post
I'm a newbie here. My suggestions are
2. introduction of stories like in other social media apps.
Welcome to forum!

Regarding 2, I don't know if that would work here given our content is more text based. Maybe T-BHP can contribute more on those other platforms via stories from the official channels. Say when the team are out reviewing a car. But, I would let the Mods comment on that.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 4th September 2021 at 22:48.
Dry Ice is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 00:10   #7212
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Warrioraks, let’s say I am making a one time exception to the shoot and scoot strategy (as you say ).
Hello Cyborg, we disagree again. Let me tell you why and you can decide whether another exception entails.

Quote:
There is absolutely nothing wrong “in the tone and/or content of my post”.
This is how I see this statement - You self assessed your own post and declared a favourable judgement based on just one person’s opinion i.e. yourself.

Quote:
No business/forum/enterprise takes on or introduces new feature/s or content unless it’s a value add to the business. Anything that doesn’t add value or improvement to the existing offering is a waste of time and resources. It has nothing to do with us or them or arrogance. It’s simply conducting business in an efficient, streamlined and disciplined manner.

Again, introducing guest members is a thing which brings in a host of administrative issues needing time and manpower to administer to. It adds zero value to Team-BHP while increasing administration exponentially vis-a-vis the current requirement.

If anyone wants to bookmark a page or thread simply do it in your browser, why does anyone need a guest membership to do that. It’s business sense my friend, not arrogance. What’s arrogance got to do with optimum utilisation of resources and cutting out or not introducing stuff which doesn’t contribute to your business.
Ok so I might not be as business savvy as you buddy. Still, let’s look at Tbhp from a pure commercial angle. Where do you think the money comes from? There is no membership fees, correct?

My guess is - funds are generated through through ads and merchandise. Both are open to guests. Therefore, from a pure business perspective, members and guests both are revenue generating customers. Let me repeat what I said in the previous post - Anything that helps bring more traffic to the website organically without compromising quality should be pursued.

The way I see it - Tbhp has awesome content which attracts lots of traffic. Without the content generated by members, guests would have no reason to lurk. Hence there can be no compromise on the quality. But you never answered my question in the first place on how feature requests from RR96 would lead to quality issues. So no point going down further this path.

On the other hand, I can tell you point blank that higher traffic (even from guest readers) will lead to more ad revenue. Net positive for the business and hence something which attracts more guest readers can turn out beneficial from a business perspective as well.

Unless you know about Tbhp’s business model and it significantly deviates from my hypothesis above, your entire premise of not caring about the guest readers doesn’t hold.

And yeah please don’t keep on highlighting the bookmark thing. Already mentioned in the last post that I don’t support that feature as well.

Quote:
If anyone who is reading our forum and is really interested in becoming a member, all they have to do is apply. If the application is deemed fit for entry, they are members. Don’t you think applying for a full membership is better than “guest membership”.
Let’s not decide for others on what’s better and what not. Both of us are members so we know the answer for us. Other people can evaluate for themselves.

For me, a person who applied for the membership on the first day of finding the forum and the person who lurked for a decade and then applied, all are same.
I will leave it at that.

Quote:
Hope you can understand where I am coming from now and after this clarification, especially for you
Not really

Last edited by warrioraks : 5th September 2021 at 00:36.
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 11:24   #7213
Senior - BHPian

Dear Mods,

Now that we have a cycling sub forum in the motorbikes section I suggest renaming the motorbikes sections to 2 Wheels or something to that effect.
cooldude1988765 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 00:43   #7214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Welcome to forum!

Regarding 2, I don't know if that would work here given our content is more text based. Maybe T-BHP can contribute more on those other platforms via stories from the official channels. Say when the team are out reviewing a car. But, I would let the Mods comment on that.
Thank you, what I meant was something interactive not exactly stories but a medium where we can only share photos and other forum members could like it or something like that because as a newbie myself, I'm not able to gather enough courage to pen down a thread or a post. So, a new medium like just sharing photos or maybe it could be a sequence of photos, For example, a DIY.
This might encourage many members to participate.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th September 2021 at 05:38. Reason: Quote tag fixed
Old 7th September 2021, 06:29   #7215
BHPian

Re: What car for my software engineer friend?

Note to mods

Can we not merge all these What car for my friend/boss/old parents/…../me to one parent thread?

I would even go to the extent of building our own recommendation tool like this Headphone selling website does - https://www.headphonezone.in/pages/headphone-finder

We can add functional and technical features to choose from, based on garage data of members or usage experience upvote on few key features (e.g ingress, egress convenience).

I do not think spinning a new thread every isolated need is a good sustainable idea.

Last edited by Thilak29 : 7th September 2021 at 06:48.
Thilak29 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks