Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2021, 14:50   #7231
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

A weird thing I found out today was that even though you can click on the edit button on the 30th minute, you won't be allowed to make the changes.
For eg; I was adding replies to two of the queries on the "Used Car Price Check Thread" in a post I had made about 20 minutes earlier. Upon clicking on the save button, it didn't allow me to actually make the change. This makes me lose all the additional content that I had written and somewhat just spoils the mood.

Mods, request you to keep the edit option as is. But, when a member does finish the edit after the 30th minute, please let them save it.

Last edited by akash_v12 : 19th October 2021 at 14:57.
akash_v12 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 16:17   #7232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
A weird thing I found out today was that even though you can click on the edit button on the 30th minute, you won't be allowed to make the changes. ...
True. It seems to be when you save the changes that counts.
Quote:
when a member does finish the edit after the 30th minute, please let them save it.
How long do you want? How long is reasonable?

Occasionally, I have forgotten about an edit in progress, and return to that tab some time later. I'm not surprised to be unable to save my changes. Should I be allowed to after an hour?

Anyway, I suspect the thirty-minute limit is a configurable option, but how it is implemented will be coded in VB: That is probably not changeable.
Old 28th October 2021, 10:19   #7233
Distinguished - BHPian

Noticing a trend in the Route/Travelog section- members, especially newbies, seem to just post asking for help with trip planning without bothering to read the previous posts in the thread. Often the answer is in the post just before theirs or just a few posts prior!

Some sort of messaging at the top of those threads asking people to check the older posts before asking for information would be good. Otherwise it'll go the way of other travel websites like IndiaMike where people just want to use it as a free travel agency without realizing that this is a collaborative forum when you give information as well as take, or at least make the effort to read before asking the same questions again and again.

Last edited by am1m : 28th October 2021 at 10:21.
Old 28th October 2021, 10:54   #7234
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Noticing a trend in the Route/Travelog section- members, especially newbies, seem to just post asking for help with trip planning without bothering to read the previous posts in the thread. Often the answer is in the post just before theirs or just a few posts prior!
On some forums where respondents can be quite blunt, the reply to such queries would be "Type this into the search bar above, and see what comes up".
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 18:09   #7235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Otherwise it'll go the way of other travel websites like IndiaMike where people just want to use it as a free travel agency without realizing that this is a collaborative forum when you give information as well as take, or at least make the effort to read before asking the same questions again and again.
Or at least take the effort to say thank you. Yes, as an Indiamiker, I can relate to all that. Mind you, that site is now almost a social corner for just a handful of old regulars: we'd be delighted to see travellers back, appreciative or not! Domestic travel conversation is slowly picking up; of course, international travel inbound is not yet happening anyway.

And, the same thing happens on threads like the accident thread. "Not sure" if some random video has been posted before? If it was a year ago, it is understandable, but when it has been posted just a few posts back, not so much.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 12:04   #7236
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Hi - I notice the team-bhp logo on the home screen (not forum) is a stretched image, so looks bad quality.

I think its using the same logo image as the forum, but the placeholder on the home page is larger causing the stretch and bad quality. Can we fix that?
SLK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 21:43   #7237
BHPian

Something that would make a HUGE difference in how I would use the forum.

My biggest gripe with the forum is how I find content. There is 5 star rated content being uploaded on the daily and I don't know where to find it. I don't want to be searching through all the forums one by one to see when Dr.AD has posted some juicy pics of his red 320 or iliketurtles has a sexy new mod on his car.

What I'm proposing is a feed where we can follow some members and their new posts show up on this personalised feed for us.

We are limited to GTO's curation that appears on the home page. More often than not smaller updates to some threads fly under the radar and are lost.

Add to that the really difficult search box of our forum, the time I've spent on the forum has drastically reduced. I know it's a good thing but I also crave for more good content. (it's out there, I just want to find it more conveniently)

Pls don't suggest subscribing to threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR96 View Post
@Rehaan
Can we have a gallery link in the user profile i.e. a link in the public profile to all the photos posted by a user in various threads.
Yes please!!!!

Last edited by viXit : 5th November 2021 at 21:48.
viXit is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 17:36   #7238
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the "Search" in the main menu bar, and the "Search this thread" in the thread menu bar:
When a user clicks on these options, an input box appears. Please set the focus to the input box. Presently the user has to click on the input box before providing the search terms.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 23:41   #7239
Senior - BHPian

I've been debating with myself about this a long time but I think it needs to be said, and I understand these rules will be hard to implement, not in the least because of ambiguity.

Can we have some sort of new regulation on posts about safety and NCAP ratings? I've seen nearly every discussion about this get so heated that it severely impedes those who have actually something valuable to share. It's almost like a political discussion, manufacturers being the equivalent of political parties here.

There is also a lot of misinformation about the tests but in particular, I'm referring to posts offending people who choose to buy cars that don't have very high NCAP ratings, for example (I'm making these up for the sake of preserving the identity of the posters and also because it would need a lot of citations, but I'm fairly sure one can find similar ones on the forum):

"But of course our Indian buyers will only care about fuel efficiency"

"Those who buy <car> only care about bling and features"

"There are two types of people, some who value safety, driving dynamics and build quality and some who value fuel economy and reliability"

"Side and curtain airbags are useless when the bodyshell is unstable"

"A zero star car with a stable bodyshell is better than a four star car with an unstable bodyshell"

"<car1> has the same kerb mass as the one tested by Euro NCAP so it should score similarly in India"

"The body weld diagrams are the same so I can say with certainty that the Indian car will perform the same as the <other market> car"

"NCAP ratings are useless in the real world"

"I would rather buy <car1> than the tin can <car2>"

"The government should ban the sale of cars that score less than four stars"

If anyone is interested I am willing to explain why I believe each of the above statements should be avoided, but I'll try to keep this post concise for now (I'll agree that ship has sailed).

I think it's important that we keep in mind the role NCAPs play: to provide a platform for vehicle manufacturers to sell safety, to objectively inform consumers about vehicle safety, to promote healthy competition between manufacturers in the further development of safety and, in the case of some NCAPs, to use the power of the consumer to make sure manufacturers don't sell safer cars in some select markets only. NCAPs are not supposed to play a regulatory role, though they have to assume a pseudo-regulatory role in some poorly regulated markets at times. In India, regulation is now taken care of by ARAI's AIS crash test standards for homologation.

I believe that as a responsible forum we should promote the purchase of safer cars and continue to call out manufacturers who make safety compromises just for Indian consumers, but we shouldn't look down on those who purchase cars that we don't consider 'safe'.

Speaking of which, I think we should try and discourage the use of the words 'safe' and 'unsafe' and try to promote the use of the words 'safer' and 'less safe' instead, because it's upto the consumer to decide what they consider an acceptable level of safety. Admittedly, I will have a hard time making this switch but I think it's important nevertheless. There seems to be a general consensus that 4 stars and above is 'safe' and 3 stars and less is 'unsafe', which is a perfectly acceptable opinion to hold but I think it is up to each individual to decide what they consider acceptable.

Another related suggestion - can crash test results from all other NCAPs than Global NCAP's #SaferCarsforIndia programme, and Bharat NCAP (whenever it comes) be moved to The International Automotive Scene rather than Road Safety? (including but not limited to the thread I created on recent Latin NCAP results) This might help control misinformation about the validity of these results.

I posted this because I don't want to see a repeat of last November's thread on non-voluntary Global NCAP results during this month's results. (I think my posts on that thread weren't exactly 'nice' either)

A disclaimer: I am sometimes a hypocrite and might violate what I've said above on the forums. Like everyone I do have a soft corner for certain brands and find it hard to post in a completely neutral manner, but feel free to point this out. If I do have different expectations from different brands it's usually based on history.
ron178 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 00:13   #7240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
Can we have some sort of new regulation on posts about safety and NCAP ratings? I've seen nearly every discussion about this get so heated that it severely impedes those who have actually something valuable to share. It's almost like a political discussion, manufacturers being the equivalent of political parties here.
I agree with most of your points. Just adding my 2 cents.

Being an automobile forum and that too with an influence on the general scene, we should discuss about this topic too. We have to call out brands greed, hypocrisy and other negativity in the topic of safety too. We have to force companies to improve their cars safety. So, I'm ok with calling certain brand's car as tin cans.

But calling out the buyers and ridiculing them should not be allowed. Everyone has their own reasons for buying a specific car or from a specific brand. And not a single crash test rating covers 100% of the scenarios.

And this goes against the forum rules as well. So, I guess we just have to report the rude/offensive posts!
Old 11th November 2021, 10:58   #7241
Senior - BHPian

I have observed that the number of posts shown against the user profile is lesser than the count that actually comes up when viewing all posts by the user. Is there any intentional reason for this? Or is it a bug that needs to be corrected?

Last edited by adisan : 11th November 2021 at 11:04.
Old 11th November 2021, 11:05   #7242
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
I have observed that the number of posts shown against the user profile is lesser than the count that actually comes up when viewing all posts by the user. Is there any intentional reason for this? Or is it a bug that needs to be corrected?
From FAQ:

It may take the system upto an hour to update your post count or membership level. Also note that posts in some of the forums do not add up to the post count. The excluded forum sections are:

1. Introduce Yourself.

2. Shifting Gears.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 11:28   #7243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
From FAQ:
It may take the system upto an hour to update your post count or membership level. Also note that posts in some of the forums do not add up to the post count. The excluded forum sections are:
1. Introduce Yourself.
2. Shifting Gears.
Thank you.

In my case, profile shows the posts count as 50. View all posts shows 65. Only a couple of my posts are from Shifting Gears section, and in the past hour I might have posted 2 or 3 times.

Hence the query.

Last edited by adisan : 11th November 2021 at 11:29.
Old 12th November 2021, 10:22   #7244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
The excluded forum sections are:
1. Introduce Yourself.
2. Shifting Gears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
Only a couple of my posts are from Shifting Gears section
Apologies, my bad.

I found that I had more than a couple of posts from the Shifting Gears section, and the counts displayed might be correct.
Old 12th November 2021, 10:57   #7245
BHPian

When you click the team bhp news at the end of a thread the "view forum discussion" button is at the top in the desktop layout but is at the bottom in the mobile skin.

I would like if the button is at the top in the mobile skin too as I prefer reading the posts directly on the forum. Currently I have to first scroll through the news which transcribes the posts to get to the button which is not the case on the desktop skin.

Another workaround could be if for those who are logged in, clicking on the news link directly takes you to the thread.
anandhsub is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks