Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2022, 13:40   #7411
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
May I request the Moderators and and Distinguished Bhpians to explore the possibility of merging all the hitherto created threads paying tributes to dead people into a single Obituaries Thread.

Going forward, the same could be used to post tributes to all departed souls, irrespective of their work sphere and stature.

The Obituaries Thread may be kept in the non thankable Et cetera part of the Shifting Gears section.

Thanks in advance.
+1 Let it be a section on "Obituaries and Remembrances". Within the section there could be threads on different people. Given that it is in a section titled thus may discourage some writers from pouring out their negativity.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 14:51   #7412
BHPian

Is there an option to search or filter members by location?

Also a thread for different cities might help in finding out whatever we need in that particular city like car accessories, parts, restaurants, etc and members of those cities can message or meet each other. I know this sounds like Justdial but exclusively for BHPians.

I'm sorry if this post seems bizarre. 🙏

Last edited by CarNerd : 12th September 2022 at 14:59.
CarNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 16:01   #7413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
+1 Let it be a section on "Obituaries and Remembrances"...
Absolutely. A young forum didn't need to think of this --- but we are all getting older. Not, of course, that personal age is always the determining number in these things, but forum age increases the needs.

Please team: do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
... ... ...

I'm sorry if this post seems bizarre. 🙏
It is not bizarre at all! In the age of Google, and with SQL/etc databases having been around for a generation or two, such expectations are natural.

How much is possible/practical in the relatively basic software that runs our forum, however, may be a different matter.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 16:15   #7414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Click on Quick Links > Members List.

Then select Search Members > Advanced Search.

In the resulting form in the Location field, enter the location you are interested in.

Click on Search Now.

For example, out of a total 50444 members 10835 are from Bangalore (plus 1138 from Bengaluru and 216 from BLR). That's nearly 22%.
binand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 11:27   #7415
BHPian

Not sure if this has been requested, but we should have a page dedicated to the upcoming and recent launches.

With too many threads it get's quiet confusing at times.

This will also give someone an idea of what's the next expected launch, need not be confirmed launch but rumors as well. Could be a read-only(no comments) page which can be updated regularly by mods.

Thinking of something like a MS Office Calendar, simply visit to know what options do we have.

Many of us think what could be the next new product from Sokda/VW, TATA, Honda etc.
firstdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 10:48   #7416
BHPian

Quote:

*SNIP*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
*SNIP*

It is not bizarre at all! In the age of Google, and with SQL/etc databases having been around for a generation or two, such expectations are natural.

How much is possible/practical in the relatively basic software that runs our forum, however, may be a different matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Click on Quick Links > Members List.

Then select Search Members > Advanced Search.

In the resulting form in the Location field, enter the location you are interested in.

Click on Search Now.

For example, out of a total 50444 members 10835 are from Bangalore (plus 1138 from Bengaluru and 216 from BLR). That's nearly 22%.
I see only one issue with the feasibility of implementing this - there are some members here who do one of the following, making it difficult to find them:
  1. Leave their location blank;
  2. put "India" as their location;
  3. Use different conventions for the location info (BLR vs. Bangalore vs. Bengaluru vs. SpdBrkr City etc.)
  4. put their RTO area (KL-01 etc.) as their location.
Of course such people are in the minority, so it may not really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Cheers

Last edited by tilt : 19th September 2022 at 10:49.
Old 24th September 2022, 13:36   #7417
BHPian

My suggestion to GTO & Team.

Many of us might face scam/fraud calls to extract money. We've many new experiences/posts that have been converted to a proper new thread with increased visibility, thanks to GTO for this.

What I would suggest is to put an exclamatory/warning sign (!) in red color or a caution sign in yellow color or their text equivalents in brackets like (Warning/Caution) just before the start of the thread title.

The purpose is to alert members & guests that these threads are of warning/caution type just to bring awareness amongst us so that we do not become a victim to these scams.
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 15:02   #7418
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhupesh_2628 View Post
What I would suggest is to put an exclamatory/warning sign (!) in red color or a caution sign in yellow color or their text equivalents in brackets like (Warning/Caution) just before the start of the thread title.
Some similar (software) forums have a thread smilie, which will always show on thread listings. I am not sure but I don't think Team-BHP utilises this function.

I also don't know if smilie codes are parsed in heading fields. I do know that the design ethos of T-BHP has always been to to keep things neat and tidy, minimising these features, eg the 2-smilie-per-post rule.

I do think it is a good idea --- but, in practice, any such thing that requires the moderator team to see each new thread and add a symbol where appropriate, adds more work to an already tough job.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 21:31   #7419
Senior - BHPian

Search within subscribed threads

It would be great to be able to search within one's subscribed threads. In many cases, it would help getting more focused results without the privacy-invasive AI models used by many nowadays. It would've made even searching this thread to post this message simpler.

Just in case this already works, please do share.
Old 19th October 2022, 16:00   #7420
BHPian

Mods,

Can you add a feature to make our threads in Assembly line visible to members we wish i.e., give viewing access to other members we select. This would be helpful if we had been to a place together and are writing the travelogue together. Hope this is a useful sugeestion.
RR96 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 15:58   #7421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
It would be great to be able to search within one's subscribed threads.
Go to Search > Advanced Search, and in the "Search in Forum(s)" box you'll find the option to search only in threads that one has subscribed to.
binand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 10:47   #7422
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Can we have a separate sub section for e-scooters under the 2 wheeler head? It would really help those interested only in the EV scooters.
m8002? is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 21:06   #7423
Distinguished - BHPian

Noticed this alignment issue on the mobile browser. The rendered page is extending beyond the mobile screen and one needs to “zoom out” to see the full thread name. See the highlighted “Next Page” section, which is the standard width. Subsequent pages don’t have this issue.

I suspect this is due to a long list of characters with no whitespace in the circled thread name. If yes, can this thread be renamed to rectify the alignment issue?

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-59937652c6a04fc4a21a5ca9da85d057.jpeg
Misaligned thread list

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-51511e33e74141c89cfc20d48f2f7d9d.jpeg
No issue on the next page of thread list
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 21:11   #7424
BHPian

Can we add a special mark for the person who has started the thread, like "OP" as used by reddit?

Many BHPians do start a personal thread where they are seeking advice, opinions, etc., and it is difficult to identify the original poster in a long thread.
Blackwing is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 22:47   #7425
BHPian

I am using another non automobile forum and the quoted reply mechanism is quite good there. It gives only few lines of the quoted post and gives option to expand in case someone wants to read the full post. For the poster using mobile, it is very easy to quote reply as trimming a long post is quite cumbersome. I don't know whether there is any correct way but while doing quote reply I try to enter backspace and some times remove the quote braces character and getting it back with long press and slide itself is becoming a task.

For the mobile reader also, it doesn't add inconvenience as it shows only a part of quoted post and if needed one can expand it to get context. Finally, it will spare valuable time for moderators too in trimming posts.
thanixravindran is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks