Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2023, 13:24   #7546
Team-BHP Support

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
In the recent past, am experiencing glitches in the unread thread list which comes up with 'User CP'.
That's strange. There have been no changes there.

Are you sure Team-BHP isn't open in some background tab somewhere?

I guess you could try clearing browser cache + cookies and see if that helps?
Old 24th August 2023, 16:16   #7547
BHPian

Re: Incorrect Unread Thread List?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
In the recent past, am experiencing glitches in the unread thread list which comes up with 'User CP'.

It used to be quite accurate earlier, BUT in the recent past it is serving me only few hours worth of past threads, when I haven't visited TBHP for couple of days.

Has any others experienced this behaviour? Please advise.
I have observed the same. I also saw few other odd behaviours:
  1. One of these is whenever I have a message saying I have been quoted.
    Say for example, if within a few minutes of getting that notification saying I have been quoted, I were to open the link in the notification, I wouldn’t see it but if I click the same link in that notification after a few hours, the reply is visible with the exact timestamp as per original notification on the post itself.

In the linked post, that response won’t load until a few hours whenever I have been quoted.

2. Another odd behaviour I saw has to do with number of posts on the right of a user profile link. Many times, a person’s total posts is shown as 0 while I am reading a response by the same person on a thread. I understood that any response to any discussion in any thread across the forum constitutes a post. Is that incorrect?

Last edited by SixPistons : 24th August 2023 at 16:18.
SixPistons is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 16:26   #7548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPistons View Post
One of these is whenever I have a message saying I have been quoted.
Say for example, if within a few minutes of getting that notification saying I have been quoted, I were to open the link in the notification, I wouldn’t see it but if I click the same link in that notification after a few hours, the reply is visible with the exact timestamp as per original notification on the post itself.

In the linked post, that response won’t load until a few hours whenever I have been quoted.
[/list]
I noticed this, and I believe it's due to new users post.

If a new user who has made fewer than 25 posts quotes you in a post, you will receive an email notification. However, the quoted post will not be visible until a moderator approves it for posting. I have experienced this multiple times myself and have observed that it seems to happen exclusively with newbies.

I have observed this behavior, but I don't have a definitive explanation. It seems that moderators would need to confirm this situation.
raptor_diwan is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 17:36   #7549
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
I noticed this, and I believe it's due to new users post.

If a new user who has made fewer than 25 posts quotes you in a post, you will receive an email notification. However, the quoted post will not be visible until a moderator approves it for posting. I have experienced this multiple times myself and have observed that it seems to happen exclusively with newbies.

I have observed this behavior, but I don't have a definitive explanation. It seems that moderators would need to confirm this situation.
True. I always observe this when a newbie quotes me. I believe notifications are a batch process triggering in pre-defined intervals upon quoting without any differentiation of posts whereas newbie posts need manual moderation before publishing. Probably mods can confirm whether any change in notification module is possible for posts awaiting moderation.
thanixravindran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 01:07   #7550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
That's strange. There have been no changes there.

Are you sure Team-BHP isn't open in some background tab somewhere?

I guess you could try clearing browser cache + cookies and see if that helps?
I could see this behaviour consistently for the last few days. But right now, I logged in to TBHP little early than usual and it looks good. The new threads are there from my last login, as it should be.

Does any maintenance routines in the wee hours of IST, manipulate this data?
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 14:40   #7551

Quote:
[*] Another odd behaviour I saw has to do with number of posts on the right of a user profile link. Many times, a person’s total posts is shown as 0 while I am reading a response by the same person on a thread. I understood that any response to any discussion in any thread across the forum constitutes a post. Is that incorrect?[/list]
I've too faced this issue where the number of posts counter does not increase with subsequent posts. Can moderators shed some light on how does it work?

विनम्र
vjvinamara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 15:23   #7552
BHPian

I just checked that you have made a total of 4 posts but only 1 showed up on your counter. I believe it is possible that this is a latent bug(as we call it in software) which has been there for a while and only got attention in case of new folks because number of posts said 0 on the right when someone may just be reading one of their first few posts.
This is is how I discovered it.
SixPistons is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 15:44   #7553
BANNED

Quote:
I just checked that you have made a total of 4 posts but only 1 showed up on your counter. I believe it is possible that this is a latent bug(as we call it in software) which has been there for a while and only got attention in case of new folks because number of posts said 0 on the right when someone may just be reading one of their first few posts.
This is is how I discovered it.

Posts in Introduce Yourself section, and in the Off-topic section don't count towards your post count.
turbo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 17:12   #7554

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Posts in Introduce Yourself section, and in the Off-topic section don't count towards your post count.
Thank you for the clarification. I've made 4 posts where 1 has been in the 'In-Car Entertainment' forum and the rest are in 'Shifting Gears' section and the counter has increased to 1 so I assume the 'Shifting Gears' forum comes under the Off-topic section.
vjvinamara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 17:14   #7555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjvinamara View Post
I've too faced this issue where the number of posts counter does not increase with subsequent posts. Can moderators shed some light on how does it work?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Writeups in the Shifting Gears and Introduce Yourself sections aren't taken into account while calculating the Posts count.

However, if you report any posts for violation of rules, necessary edits or to highlight exceptional content, those are added to the Post counts. So, the count reflected in the profile can either be same, greater or lesser than the actual write-ups.
dailydriver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 12:44   #7556
BHPian

Is there an option to export all posts of a given thread in a PDF format for offline reading?

I searched for this on the forum but could not find any leads. Hence asking here.
115 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 13:11   #7557
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 115 View Post
Is there an option to export all posts of a given thread in a PDF format for offline reading?

I searched for this on the forum but could not find any leads. Hence asking here.
Not a perfect solution, but you can switch to a printable view from tools (at the top of each page of a thread). Then, use the print function of the browser (laptop/mobile). But, there is a catch! For a long running thread, you will have to do this for each page. I don’t see an option to view the entire thread at once.
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 13:19   #7558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
However, when it comes to global find and replace.... that's one of the scariest / most dangerous tools IMO

Will see what I can do about those 13xx threads. Thanks for pointing it out.
Thank you for acknowledging it.

Same is with "Breeza". It shows 9 pages of search results.

Anyway, not going to bother you for this again.
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 10:09   #7559
Senior - BHPian

Is there a way to link text to a YouTube URL without embedding the video?
ron178 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 12:15   #7560
BHPian

Do we have a thread where BHPians who publish anything or blog/vlog can share their work. I am an academic and I write on International Affairs, and publish every now and then,

For example, my article appeared in The Hindu today, so made me curious to see if we have some common thread.

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd September 2023 at 14:00. Reason: Not allowed
avingodb is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks