Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2024, 21:44   #7651
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon_booster View Post
How can I join an active group? I can't seem to find one here except discussion threads.
Team-BHP runs on a standard, albeit somewhat customised, forum software. There may be functionality that is just not used.

I've been here for a long, long time. I have never been part of such a group. I don't think you are missing anything.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 11:59   #7652
Distinguished - BHPian

For a while now, I've seen news channels pick up discussions from our forum and publish them as 'news'. Latest case in point:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post5742536 (Bangalore: My car was vandalised by autorickshaw drivers)

Besides the point about the lazy, pathetic standard of journalism this represents, we need to be aware that what we post could now reach a far, far wider audience. Yes, all our forum posts are anyway accessible online, but once something gets picked up by a news outlet, the reach is exponentially higher.

While this great for the forum, individual users need to be aware of posting personally identifiable information in their posts. I've also seen several posts where people put up license, registration information, identifiable addresses, people/locality, future travel plans, etc. Not to mention the posts that right out identify the real names of members and their handles. (With good intent, of course.) Like the 'Intro' section, or the photographs in the 'Meetup' section.

I think the forum needs to develop guidelines and members need to be more aware of the kind of info they are comfortable sharing, which could easily go to a much, much wider audience, outside of the forum itself.

(Personally, I've always valued completely anonymity on any online forum.)

Last edited by am1m : 25th March 2024 at 12:03.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2024, 00:02   #7653
BHPian

Unlike what looks like many other bhpians, I am a huge fan of the infinite scroll feature.

So my request is actually the other way. Would it be possible to enable infinite scroll while going to previous pages too ( basically while scrolling up) ?
anandhsub is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th April 2024, 04:32   #7654
Senior - BHPian

Can we have "Preview post" button enabled in Quick Reply mode too? I want to be quick but I still want to see how it looks before actually posting.

Oh and the rule not to post back to back posts sounds a little too much. A while ago I posted two comments and they got merged with a warning. Two days passed and I got a PM from almighty GTO regarding the same. Almost missed a heartbeat there.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2024, 02:16   #7655
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Can we have "Preview post" button enabled in Quick Reply mode too? I want to be quick but I still want to see how it looks before actually posting.
You've got it already! Click "Go Advanced" and, with the 'advanced' entry screen you get a preview of your post as it is so far first.

When I remember, I always do this before posting. And I just corrected two typos in this post using it.

Quote:
Oh and the rule not to post back to back posts sounds a little too much. A while ago I posted two comments and they got merged with a warning. Two days passed and I got a PM from almighty GTO regarding the same. Almost missed a heartbeat there.
We are stuck with that one and we have to accept it.

If you find that you have done it accidentally, or missed the time limit for editing, or even come back hours later with more material but nobody else has posted, just "report" your own post and ask the mods to merge. They will.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 04:59   #7656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You've got it already! Click "Go Advanced" and, with the 'advanced' entry screen you get a preview of your post as it is so far first.

When I remember, I always do this before posting. And I just corrected two typos in this post using it.
No, that's not what I meant. If you have to click on "Go Advanced" you are already out of "Quick Reply" mode.
The "Preview Post" button only appears if you a) click "Go Advanced" or b) quote someone's comment.
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 18:29   #7657
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
If you have to click on "Go Advanced" you are already out of "Quick Reply" mode.
But what difference does it make? You want to be able to have preview plus the quick-reply window instead of preview plus the full-reply window.

The only advantage that occurs to me is that you can still review the thread above the reply window. In full-reply, you can review the thread (at least text) below it.

Well, perhaps I am arguing the point just for the sake of it: please excuse! But I know from history that if someone wants a user-interface change, they have to make a very good case for it

(On my side, I'd like one or two things from the full reply to be included in the quick reply too.)
Old 9th April 2024, 20:01   #7658
BHPian

Maybe change the layout? It looks rather dated to me (not a complaint). The new and improved photo gallery looks great, and if we could make the entire forum like that, it would be a big improvement.
Old 9th April 2024, 20:31   #7659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
In full-reply, you can review the thread (at least text) below it.
Only on desktop and not on mobile. Although the good part is the browser saves whatever is written even if you navigate to some other pages and then come back to finish the reply.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 03:37   #7660
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
Only on desktop and not on mobile.
Thanks! I seldom use a mobile device for forum following.
Old 10th April 2024, 19:55   #7661
BHPian

There used to be a section of suggested threads at the bottom of the thread we are reading. The suggestion used to be fairly accurate related to the topic we are reading. Later that feature gone away. That was very useful feature I used to use a lot. Missing that feature. Please bring that feature back.
Old 11th April 2024, 16:47   #7662
BHPian

I’ve noticed that the joining date in our profile is the date when we applied for membership, not when our membership was approved.
Is there any particular reason for this? Shouldn’t it be the date when we received the approval email?

In my opinion, a person becomes a member of this community when their membership gets approved, not when they apply for it.
Old 12th April 2024, 08:49   #7663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Magic View Post
I’ve noticed that the joining date in our profile is the date when we applied for membership, not when our membership was approved.
Is there any particular reason for this? Shouldn’t it be the date when we received the approval email?

In my opinion, a person becomes a member of this community when their membership gets approved, not when they apply for it.
I guess from the time someone applies for membership to the time it is approved, is hardly a few days or a week. So there is hardly any difference in the dates. Anyway the join date only shows a Month and Year so would likely be correct in the majority of cases.

In practice though, I don't think such a small thing makes any difference at all to the user experience or forum quality!
s4ch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 14:31   #7664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
the join date only shows a Month and Year

In practice though, I don't think such a small thing makes any difference at all to the user experience or forum quality!
Yes, I agree that such a small thing doesn't change the user experience or the quality of the forum.
I just queried what I noticed, as generally, the joining date is considered when a person comes on board of a given organisation, group, community, etc.
By the way, the join date does show the day along with the month and year (for example - 6th March 2012).
It's Magic is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2024, 13:56   #7665
BHPian

Will it be possible to create sub-forums in the Travelogue section and distribute/display them geographically (N-E-W-S) for Indian travelogues and region/continent wise for International travelogues?

This will certainly assist in a better reading experience & help people interested in gathering information for their intended trips.

Likewise for the Commercial Vehicles section. Automotive, Aircraft and Marine/Maritime related topics to displayed/distributed under sub-forums?

Last edited by BlackBeard : 14th April 2024 at 14:18.
BlackBeard is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks