Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2023, 06:23   #7576
GTE
BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

I would suggest a single touch delete for PM.
Old 8th October 2023, 18:59   #7577
BHPian

Can we add a function to save useful posts (not entire threads) under one's profile?

I have several times felt the need for this when I have seen mention of a particular model of appliance that i want to buy in the future or a useful technique to do a thing.
catchjyoti is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 07:26   #7578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchjyoti View Post
Can we add a function to save useful posts (not entire threads) under one's profile?

I have several times felt the need for this when I have seen mention of a particular model of appliance that i want to buy in the future or a useful technique to do a thing.
Not a bad suggestion, but until they feel it useful to implement you can simply bookmark the post link and save it in your browser under some T-BHP bookmarks folder.

i.e. in your case , on the top right hand corner you will see the link to the post that would look like this # 7577 (Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians)
Fillmore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 16:48   #7579
BHPian

Apologies if this is nitpicking and adding extra work for modmins. I'm still requesting as it would be very easy to implement. Please could we add a rule to change "costed" to "cost". Thanks
digitalnirvana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 18:06   #7580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just use a note-taking app (for added benefit, one that can sync across multiple devices). I use OneNote. Google Keep & Evernote are other well-known alternatives.
Old 10th October 2023, 18:40   #7581
BHPian

Quote:

A workaround would be using Thanks option, and one can track all the messages they thanked under their profile. I know it’s not ideal and it really beats the purpose of Thanks button.

Long term solution would be adding a Bookmark option similar to Thanks. I think this can be achieved by mimicking same thanks functionality by replacing the button name and icon.
rx100 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 00:20   #7582
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Please could we add a rule to change "costed" to "cost".
I feel your pain and share it, but where to stop? We must all have our favourite errors. eg can I please have correction of "acronym" when it is plain ordinary abbreviation being referred to?

Mistakes change the language. They become the language. There's not much that we can do about it, except cry together on something like our English-Language thread.

Tangentially: as an ex computer systems manager, I was never short of people with "quick questions." The answers were often far from quick, or easy! I don't know much about this BB system, but I don't think it has any spelling checker or auto-correction process waiting to be easily implemented. But I could be absolutely wrong on that.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 00:52   #7583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The answers were often far from quick, or easy! I don't know much about this BB system, but I don't think it has any spelling checker or auto-correction process waiting to be easily implemented. But I could be absolutely wrong on that.
Well you're absolutely right, it is never easy and the modmins do a thankless job keeping this place clean and up to a standard. I've never been a BB or Xenforo board admin, but it isbasically similar to a profanity filter or a text rule. For example in the olden days on here A Ess Ess would get censored to *** and so users would write it as A.S.S.

Anyway it is a minor thing and as you say language evolves.

Mods, please do the needful and revert back /sarcasm

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 12th October 2023 at 00:57.
Old 12th October 2023, 03:25   #7584
BHPian

Quote:
Apologies if this is nitpicking and adding extra work for modmins. I'm still requesting as it would be very easy to implement. Please could we add a rule to change "costed" to "cost". Thanks
If modmins can be considered as a proper word, then costed is also a proper word. I think costed can be used interchangeably with cost as past tense form.

Further discussion on this may be off topic for this thread and we may have to switch to Grammar thread.

Last edited by rx100 : 12th October 2023 at 03:29.
Old 12th October 2023, 13:40   #7585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx100 View Post
If modmins can be considered as a proper word, then costed is also a proper word. I think costed can be used interchangeably with cost as past tense form.

Further discussion on this may be off topic for this thread and we may have to switch to Grammar thread.
Modmins is something I use as an amalgamation of moderators and admins. Its not a proper word.

Costed is a proper word, but mainly for accounting. It is not the past tense of cost and not meant to be used the way it is mainly used here.

Peace
digitalnirvana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 20:43   #7586
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Anyway it is a minor thing and as you say language evolves.
To put it politely, it changes. To put it more bluntly, it degrades, because the changes we are talking of are mistakes or ignorance. Clever people can invent clever language. Shakespeare was a genius! Prepone is clever. I take my hat off to modmin: nice one!

Quote:
Mods, please do the needful and revert back /sarcasm
haha, "revert back" is one of my language horrors!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 21:10   #7587
BHPian

Quote:
Costed is a proper word, but mainly for accounting...
I had absolutely no idea! Up until now I thought it was an Indianism like preponed.
Roy.S is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 03:50   #7588
Distinguished - BHPian

Costings, costed... Words that belong to the such world as estimating, eg in manufacturing.

Sorry. Yes, I know: we do have a thread for this sort of thing <BLUSH>
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 21:09   #7589
BHPian

I have somewhat radical suggestions.
  • Official reviews: This 'new car review' business is for some time now driven by video. The touch and feel that video provides cannot be matched by photos and text. I feel the painstaking effort that goes into making these review posts is no longer worth the effort of enthusiasts. Its just hard to compete against the youtube diarrhea. Yes, those reviews may sometimes be more loyal to the brand or inclined by bias, but our own members eventually go into showrooms and provide the independent voice that matters.
  • Long term reliability and ownership data: This is a whitespace that the community can fill. If there is a report that members can fill for every service station visit (or even fuel/charge economy data by usage), we can start visualizing how brands/models compare during initial/medium/long term ownership periods.
    If we start publishing ranks, I would hope the stronger brands would be keen to share their ASS data as well at some point. Just like Mahindra has an incentive to volunteer their cars for NCAP. And the weaker brands have to follow eventually.
dust-n-bones is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 21:31   #7590
BHPian

I would like to see more detailed reviews of new cars, when i compare new and old reviews being posted on team-bhp there is a huge difference between them, now reviews much shorter with less details, why reviews now do not have smaller yet significant things section or other points, earlier reviews were much better in terms of quality and detail.
manofinfinity is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks