Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2016, 12:33   #6151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
In Chrome on Android, QUOTE and QUOTE + buttons are invisible. I can see the THANKS button though.
Does "view desktop version" help show the buttons? Just curious.

Last edited by SDP : 26th August 2016 at 12:39. Reason: Fixing broken quote tag
Old 26th August 2016, 12:36   #6152
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post

Does "view desktop version" help show the buttons? Just curious.
Hey, it works now, thanks! Any idea why mobile version does not show the QUOTE buttons?
Old 26th August 2016, 12:38   #6153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, it works now, thanks! Any idea why mobile version does not show the QUOTE buttons?
Chrome changes all the time - and sometimes older web apps may break. Even more so on the mobile optimized sites.

It is a bit of a nuisance but at least encourages apps to stay up to date on html 5, ACID compliance etc etc.

Extremely noticeable when you install chrome beta builds even on your desktop
Old 26th August 2016, 16:39   #6154
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In Chrome on Android, QUOTE and QUOTE + buttons are invisible. I can see the THANKS button though.
No one else has reported this issue.

It's probably some corrupt cache on your mobile.

Try going to Chrome > Settings > Privacy > Clear browsing data >

Select:
- Clear data from the beginning of time
- Cached images & files

Let me know if that works. It should free up some space on your device too!

(If not, do you have any kind of add-blocking app installed? Could be a false positive there)
Old 26th August 2016, 18:35   #6155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
It's probably some corrupt cache on your mobile. Let me know if that works. It should free up some space on your device too!
Clearing up cache worked. However, QUOTE+ shows up as Q+ for some reason. Even in landscape mode. But its not really an issue though.

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-screenshot_20160826183107.jpg

By the way, it took me a few mins to figure out how to get back to "Mobile Site" from "Desktop Site"

Last edited by SmartCat : 26th August 2016 at 18:37.
Old 26th August 2016, 19:04   #6156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Try going to Chrome > Settings > Privacy > Clear browsing data
(If not, do you have any kind of add-blocking app installed? Could be a false positive there)
What might be happening - and this is an old issue with forums, bulletin boards, blogs etc that display ad banners - is that if a particular ad didn't display properly (eg: due to ad blockers or just a connection timeout) it may interfere with the rendering of the rest of the page.
Old 27th August 2016, 09:57   #6157
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Clearing up cache worked. However, QUOTE+ shows up as Q+ for some reason. Even in landscape mode. But its not really an issue though.
Glad that fixed it.

On the Smartphone skin, the QUOTE+ button has been abbreviated to Q+ in order to make it smaller.

This has been done so that the whole row fits in one line on narrow mobile screens.
Old 1st September 2016, 12:50   #6158
Team-BHP Support

Is there a way to bookmark a particular post? Say, I come across a post with info that I may want to refer to even in the future; how do I navigate to it without having to search and comb through.

One way I think of is saving the post URL but then it is too cumbersome and won't be accessible if I log in on some other device.
Old 1st September 2016, 12:56   #6159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Is there a way to bookmark a particular post? Say, I come across a post with info that I may want to refer to even in the future; how do I navigate to it without having to search and comb through.

One way I think of is saving the post URL but then it is too cumbersome and won't be accessible if I log in on some other device.
Do you see the #postnumber at the top right hand corner of each post? For example your post is #6158

That is a "permalink" - which means you can right click on it and bookmark it

And then if you use for example chrome / firefox / safari etc across all your devices logged into the same ID, your bookmarks are synced over automatically.

See attached - circled in red.
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-screenshot.png  

Last edited by hserus : 1st September 2016 at 13:01. Reason: screenshot
Old 1st September 2016, 13:06   #6160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

(Credit to Rehaan for this)I had a similar question. One good way is to use an app/plugin like 'Pocket'. It comes as an App/extension to Chrome and I think is already inbuilt in Firefox. Save any links (not just from this site) into it and read at your convenience. it saves the contents itself.
Old 1st September 2016, 13:17   #6161
BHPian

Quote:

I have an App 'G Task' in my mobile and whenever I want to bookmark a particular post, I select the post in the T-BHP App and go to share option and select G Task App. So, I basically save the specific link of the post to G Task and I can access it from G Task App anytime later.

I use to do similarly in my Asus phone with 'Do It Later' App earlier. Works for me.

Edit: As Rajeevraj mentioned, Pocket also works. Difference between using Pocket and G Task is, Pocket saves the content also of the page you are saving, but G Task only saves the link and you need internet connection to open the page.

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 1st September 2016 at 13:20. Reason: Add
Old 1st September 2016, 13:47   #6162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are on Android with Chrome browser, just select the text snippet you want to save and then share it with the Google Keep app. There is a Chrome extension for Google Keep on the PC as well.

If you just want to save the link, just bookmark it. Chrome bookmarks are synchronized across all signed-in devices.

Edit: Before Google Keep, I used to keep emails in my Drafts folder. :-(
Old 2nd September 2016, 15:59   #6163
BHPian

It would be nice to look at a thread and see who started it and when it was started.

My habit is to go to the forum every day and just click on "New Posts"; and then scroll down to open the threads I am interested in. What happens with this is that I see a topic that sounds interesting, click on it - only to see that the thread was started some time in 2006 or 2008 or something. Someone posted a comment on that thread in the last day or so and therefore it shows up in my "New Posts" list. Unfortunately the topic is no longer has any currency.

This is why I request this feature be included. I have seen this in the other vBulletin forums I frequent, so I know it's not technically impossible.

Thanks and cheers
Old 3rd September 2016, 17:16   #6164
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm unable to unsubscribe from a thread while browsing on a mobile device using Chrome. Same is easily done when using a laptop. Is it a bug? The only option I get is to subscribe to already subscribed thread!
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-screenshot_20160903171054.png  

Old 3rd September 2016, 17:40   #6165
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
That is a "permalink" - which means you can right click on it and bookmark it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
(Credit to Rehaan for this)I had a similar question. One good way is to use an app/plugin like 'Pocket'. It comes as an App/extension to Chrome and I think is already inbuilt in Firefox. Save any links (not just from this site) into it and read at your convenience. it saves the contents itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
I have an App 'G Task' in my mobile and whenever I want to bookmark a particular post, I select the post in the T-BHP App and go to share option and select G Task App. So, I basically save the specific link of the post to G Task and I can access it from G Task App anytime later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
If you just want to save the link, just bookmark it. Chrome bookmarks are synchronized across all signed-in devices.
If I understand this right, all these solutions ask that I save the permalink as a bookmark. I login regularly through at least three devices and don't sign in on Chrome so I won't have those bookmarks accessible across these devices.

I was hoping that we could have a way of bookmarking posts on team-bhp itself; meaning, search for bookmarked posts just how we search for posts we've thanked/been thanked for.

Most Viewed