Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2020, 15:26   #6856
BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjadekar View Post
The quality of the content and sense of community here is outstanding, better than on any other Indian forum I have come across. However, the site looks a bit dated and is missing some of the functionality and many of the bells and whistles of other forum platforms. I am active on a few forums that use Discourse (PLEX and Mac Power Users are good examples) and I could not recommend it more. I am not sure if it would be possible to migrate to another platform given the amount (and wealth!) of content and number of users here but if it is at all possible then I would strongly urge you to consider Discourse.
I second that! I suggest a paid option called I.P. Board by Invision. Migration should be possible (and I can help!).

Team-BHP packs top horsepower, but looks slightly dated. Maybe it just needs some detailing after all
typlo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 15:51   #6857
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typlo View Post
looks slightly dated.
Don't care, because it is simple and effective. It has also had a great deal invested in it by the team. Time and effort.

True that it might not be my choice for a new bulletin-board-style forum. But all the functionality we need is here. Let us not change for cosmetics, or go-faster stripes.

Any specific complaints? They might be more worth mentioning than suggesting a brand-new system. A small thing, but I'd like to see the smiley selection revised and extended. And there are still small usability problems for me when using on the phone screen.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 16:13   #6858
BHPian

Is there any way of undo-ing the Thanks? I tend to hit the button several times unknowingly while browsing on mobile. It is right in the place where thumb is supposed to be.
ast.ggn is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 17:34   #6859
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
Is there any way of undo-ing the Thanks?
No, But request seconded: it would be nice if there was. Even on the big screen I make mistakes.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 19:40   #6860
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Dutee Chand to sell gifted BMW to meet Olympic training expenses.
Here's some twist.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/76997607.cms
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 20:00   #6861
BHPian

I have a suggestion/request for team-bhp.
Can we have a provision where we can mark any post as favourite, so that one can find them quickly.

There is tons of useful information available on each thread, but few posts are my favourite and I would like to have direct access to them in need.

For e.g. I have a favourite post on 1). How to drive in rainy season thread 2) how to install a lamp in boot etc.
INJAXN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 21:00   #6862
BHPian

In new post/thread page, these titles are unreadable with Silver Theme :

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-tbhp.png
Justin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 21:38   #6863
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
I have a suggestion/request for team-bhp.
Can we have a provision where we can mark any post as favourite, so that one can find them quickly.
If not the provision, you can do it in your browser. Just bookmark the thread, and keep a separate folder for your T-BHP bookmarks. Maybe bookmarking individual posts might not work so well (don't know if the bookmark would show you just the post rather than its place in the thread) but it could be done.

This is what I do with those threads I want to go back to once a year, or even every few years.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 21:43   #6864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If not the provision, you can do it in your browser. Just bookmark the thread, and keep a separate folder for your T-BHP bookmarks. Maybe bookmarking individual posts might not work so well (don't know if the bookmark would show you just the post rather than its place in the thread) but it could be done.
Just click on the post ID(top-right corner of the post) and it will link directly to that post so that you can bookmark an individual post

Last edited by Justin : 16th July 2020 at 22:00.
Justin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 09:53   #6865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Just click on the post ID(top-right corner of the post) and it will link directly to that post so that you can bookmark an individual post
I checked after you mentioned this, that is in fact a permanent link. Thanks for pointing it out.

form wiki: A permalink or permanent link is a URL that is intended to remain unchanged for many years into the future, yielding a hyperlink that is less susceptible to link rot. Permalinks are often rendered simply, that is, as friendly URLs, so as to be easy for people to type and remember.
INJAXN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 18:37   #6866
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes indeed. You can also right-click and copy link location to get the URL of a single post.

My concern was what happens when you go to that URL. Would you see just that post. That might be fine, or you might want to see it in place in its thread. My quick test just now shows that it does the latter, which is probably the most useful to you in this context.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 20:00   #6867
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
My point was precisely to change the link from Contact Us>Share to Contact Us>Speak
Done. In future you could "Report post" for specific edits like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
When you click on it, you're redirected to a new webpage. This page doesn't have our Team-Bhp icon (favicon).
This happens since the page in question is actually hosted by our Newsletter provider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjadekar View Post
I am active on a few forums that use Discourse (PLEX and Mac Power Users are good examples) and I could not recommend it more.
Thanks! Though as you mentioned, migrating is just too mammoth a task and hence isn't something we're considering right now.

If you have specific ideas / features that you think could be applied to Team-BHP, do point them out and we'll see if they are possible via plugins etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A small thing, but I'd like to see the smiley selection revised and extended.
Earlier this was a problem because there was nothing standardized to move to, but now with the Whatsapp style emojis, this is something we could consider in the future. However, other feature additions do take precedence above this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
In new post/thread page, these titles are unreadable with Silver Theme
Will look into this, thanks!
Rehaan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 08:44   #6868
BHPian

My wish list:

I wish TBHP was not so overly paranoid about avoiding what they call *SMS style abbreviations*. Eg: One of my recent posts got edited by a moderator bcoz I had used *hwy* instead of highway and *esp* instead of especially!

The mods are undoubtedly doing a super duper fantastic job, but come on guys, get a life, loosen up a bit. Nothing is lost by using such abbreviations, including the use of *bcoz* in this post. The forum doesn't lose its value.
vharihar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 09:06   #6869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
My wish list:

I wish TBHP was not so overly paranoid about avoiding what they call *SMS style abbreviations*. Eg: One of my recent posts got edited by a moderator bcoz I had used *hwy* instead of highway and *esp* instead of especially!

The mods are undoubtedly doing a super duper fantastic job, but come on guys, get a life, loosen up a bit. Nothing is lost by using such abbreviations, including the use of *bcoz* in this post. The forum doesn't lose its value.
Do not agree with this view at all!!

This is one of the few places where I do not get to read such shortcuts. Don't forget, words were cut short in SMS because there was a 128 character limitation. That could be excused then, but what's stopping people from typing full words here - other than sheer laziness??
samaspire is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 09:23   #6870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
My wish list:
I wish TBHP was not so overly paranoid about avoiding what they call *SMS style abbreviations*. come on guys, get a life, loosen up a bit. Nothing is lost by using such abbreviations
Do not agree.
This is one such forum which has heavily influenced me in the ways I write, think and perceive. There are umpteen platforms for such gibberish.
I do not wish this to change, ever. If there are others who vote this change, they must be kept at bay to retain the sanctity of this forum.
Thilak29 is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks