Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2017, 09:02   #1801
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
And trust me it's a delicate balance- try relaxing the low-carb rule even for a single day and you will immediately find your body reacting- and not in a good way!
This is true only in the initial months of LCHF. After 6 months of LCHF, your body can handle diet breaking without fuss. There is no sugar/carb high I used to experience before.

In the initial months, I used to pay a heavy price if ate carb for even one meal. Next day I see my weight increase by as much as 0.5-1 kg. But I don't see that happening anymore. My body has learned to ignore carb/sugar violations.

I break LCHF at least once every 10 days and it has no effect at all. As long as I am following LCHF 80% of the time, violations have no impact. Yesterday I had ideal's icecream, and today my weight is unchanged.
Old 16th March 2017, 13:02   #1802
BHPian

Today's LCHF breakfast :

2 eggs scrambled in butter with half cup of broccoli and a small tomato, and one tablespoon milk... Added a slice of cheese when done.

Half a cup of boiled rajma sauteed in butter with onions n tomatoes!
Attached Thumbnails
The Weight Loss Thread-1489649289160.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th March 2017 at 14:01. Reason: As requested :)
Old 16th March 2017, 13:43   #1803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Today's LCHF breakfast :
2eggs scrambled in butter with half cup of brocli and a small tomato, and one tablespoon milk...Added a slice of cheese when done.

Half a cup of boiled rajma sauted in butter with onions n tomatoes!
That looks tempting! Where can one find such veg recipes for LCHF? Any pointers will be helpful.
Old 16th March 2017, 13:48   #1804
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
That looks tempting! Where can one find such veg recipes for LCHF? Any pointers will be helpful.
All leafy greens are great for LCHF diet.
Pair them with any animal protein and its a fantastic meal.
Old 16th March 2017, 17:54   #1805
BHPian

Thinking of giving LCHF a shot. For not any reason in particular, except to try it out, see how it feels, and may be knock off an inch or two from the stomach, and perhaps do away my BP medication, which, at present, is at 140/80.

I am 45+, 5.6 and weigh 67-68 kgs.

What worries me the most regarding LCHF is the lack of fibre content and volume of the food. I will tell you why. Thrice I have tried low carb, low fat and high protein (read non-veg) diet—not exactly LCHF but nonetheless close—at various points of time and over the years have come to understand that they had led, first to constipation and later to bleeding.

These misadventures led me to read on the effect of what you eat on what you expel, and am happy to say that, as of now, my constitution is content, and the feces, their colour, consistency and volume tell me that they too are glad.

I repeat my query: guys how to you manage the fibre and the volume part, especially the former. Any pointers or am I sort of an exception?
Old 16th March 2017, 18:03   #1806
Team-BHP Support

Lots of vegetables and grains have loads of fibre. Not sure why you think LCHF lifestyle has no fibre?

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articl...you-think.html
Old 16th March 2017, 18:38   #1807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Lots of vegetables and grains have loads of fibre. Not sure why you think LCHF lifestyle has no fibre?

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articl...you-think.html
Sorry... am novice with regards to LCHF. Vegetables I can understand... but grains? Wouldn't they also be carb rich?

And how much vegetables should one consume to be fibre sufficient? As far as I recall have always had enough portion of them but still constipation and its concomitant plagued me.
Old 16th March 2017, 23:21   #1808
Team-BHP Support

I typically pair chicken or fish with leafy greens.

Sauteed spinach in garlic butter.
Chicken grilled with just salt, pepper, lemon and olive oil.

There is no fiber deficiency in this diet.

The Weight Loss Thread-img_3698.jpg
I plated this with lesser greens for the sake of making it look neat. I ended up eating about 4 times that much of the salad.

The Weight Loss Thread-img_20170220_100319.jpg
Don't want Non-Veg, no problem. How about a spinach sauce over brinjals.

The Weight Loss Thread-wpimage62696912jpeg.jpeg
But prawns are the easiest and fastest to cook. Here with some mushrooms.

Last edited by bblost : 16th March 2017 at 23:25.
Old 17th March 2017, 00:31   #1809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
Sorry... am novice with regards to LCHF. Vegetables I can understand... but grains? Wouldn't they also be carb rich?

And how much vegetables should one consume to be fibre sufficient? As far as I recall have always had enough portion of them but still constipation and its concomitant plagued me.
LCHF also acts as a diuretic. Making you lose a lot of water. So when that happens, a side effect is constipation. Hence it may not actually be fiber deficiency, specially if u eat a lot of green leafy vegetables. It could be due to the loss of water too. Try increasing your water intake for a few days and see if it helps.
Old 17th March 2017, 11:53   #1810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I typically pair chicken or fish with leafy greens.
Mouthwatering as usual.

That seems like a saviour. Will munch more than I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Try increasing your water intake for a few days and see if it helps.
I have always been a heavy drinker. (Thankfully my sugar levels are within normal range: excessive thirst, amongst others is also a symptom of diabetes).

In the first instance the doctor immediately made me switch to the normal diet and, though it took time, it worked.

In the third and last instance I switched over to regular diet almost immediately I noticed the symptom, and things became regular from almost the next day onwards, which also confirmed my hypothesis.
Old 17th March 2017, 21:12   #1811
Senior - BHPian

So, I think I may have been starving myself lately. The reason I say this is because of late, I have started falling ill more frequently than I used to, I have terrible mood swings and my weight has not budged.

Yesterday I decided to log whatever I eat during the whole day. And it was a day when I ate more than I normally do. I had two slices of pizza for breakfast, a normal lunch and a heavy dinner, with snacks between lunch and dinner. On top of that, I did not go to the gym either. So, my calories in were more than usual and calories out were less than usual. Even after that, I had consumed only 100 calories more than what I had burnt. All this was logged and tracked in fitbit.

I am going to actively try to increase my diet and see what happens. Would be interesting if I lose weight by increasing my intake
Old 18th March 2017, 12:01   #1812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
So, I think I may have been starving myself lately. The reason I say this is because of late, I have started falling ill more frequently than I used to, I have terrible mood swings and my weight has not budged.
First and foremost, the weather factor... high day time temperature that gets low at night take toll on your body. The problem gets compounded if you are eating less while at the same time weight training, the fatigue factor.

Besides, try to increase your diet to the level that you feel satiated. Once I was in the same rut when out of sheer frustration, I increased my diet and lo! weight loss which had stalled accelerated.

And most of all... Please do keep in mind that our body is much smarter than we take it to be. It is highly adaptable. So keep an eye for the stimulus, diet and cardio and weigh training or for that matter whatever protocol you practice, along with age, daily routine, sleep etc.--observe things carefully and plan your response accordingly.

Well I just thought, diet and lifestyle of the world's healthiest hearts.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-39292389

Last edited by Piyadassi : 18th March 2017 at 12:20.
Old 18th March 2017, 12:58   #1813
BHPian

Hi All - looking for suggestions on LCHF diet for vegetarians. Any resources please?
Old 18th March 2017, 17:37   #1814
BHPian

Low carb high protein/fiber diet is only good for weight loss rather until you reach your desired lower weight. For strength it is completely useless. This diet is a cheat for workout and gives a small and trim look ie eat less calories and workout less to achieve that lean weak look . Tried this diet for 1 year and then shifted. Its brilliant for those who want to keep a check on their weight or loose some.
Old 18th March 2017, 19:18   #1815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First and foremost, the weather factor... high day time temperature that gets low at night take toll on your body. The problem gets compounded if you are eating less while at the same time weight training, the fatigue factor.
You are so right. The times I have fallen sick have also been accompanied by changes in weather and one of my kids falling sick. Can't really stop kids from falling sick as they pick up the germs from some kid or other at school. Besides, their immunity is still building up. But every time I have been the first one in the house, after the kid, to catch the bug. It was not always so.

Quote:
Besides, try to increase your diet to the level that you feel satiated. Once I was in the same rut when out of sheer frustration, I increased my diet and lo! weight loss which had stalled accelerated.

And most of all... Please do keep in mind that our body is much smarter than we take it to be. It is highly adaptable. So keep an eye for the stimulus, diet and cardio and weigh training or for that matter whatever protocol you practice, along with age, daily routine, sleep etc.--observe things carefully and plan your response accordingly.
Yup. I have not been to the gym for more than a week. With summer approaching, my routine is only going to get more strenuous. Weekdays I alternate between cardio and weights and weekends generally have a bike ride of 50+ miles average.
This year I am also thinking of starting off commuting to work on bike. That will be another 20+ miles each day.

Yesterday I had a normal diet, with no workout. And as suspected, came up 400 calories short.

I really need to up my diet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks