Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2020, 18:10   #2686
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Quick question:

Is it okay to have a protein drink (protinex powder with milk) during IF + LCHF.

I feel like not getting enough protein while I look forward to get some muscle work outs done.

Will it hamper IF?
There are protein powders with zero (or very low) carbs. These should be fine for LCHF. But this will break the fast if taken during the fasting window. Have it during your 8 hour eating window.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2020, 12:39   #2687
Senior - BHPian

A question on IF timings:

I have been following 16:8 strictly for the past 2 months with a fasting time slot of 9pm to 1pm. It has been going well. I would like to change the fasting time slot to say 5pm to 9am, so that I can include breakfast and skip dinner; Just for a change.

Is that a good thing to do. Is there any significance of what time slot to choose to be on a right IF?
Old 9th May 2020, 12:48   #2688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have been following 16:8 strictly for the past 2 months with a fasting time slot of 9pm to 1pm. It has been going well. I would like to change the fasting time slot to say 5pm to 9am, so that I can include breakfast and skip dinner; Just for a change.
Ever since I started IF, I have always skipped dinner; and dinner alone. It has worked really well for me. Though, my preference is for 18:6, with lunch finished off by 2pm and the next morning's breakfast partaken only after 8am.

During the fasting window, I have physical activities from 5.30pm to 7.30pm and for about an hour the next morning.
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2020, 14:21   #2689
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Is that a good thing to do. Is there any significance of what time slot to choose to be on a right IF?
This is absolutely fine. The important part is that you need an extended period when insulin is zero in the blood. Timing can be chosen per convenience.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 12:32   #2690
BHPian

Reduced my weight from 110 kgs to 102 kgs merely by changing the food I eat . The stupid lockdown has actually given time to change my diet.

Breakfast : Changed from 2 idlis and 1 dosa at a hotel + a milkshake 2 hours later to breakfast cereal and milk plus an apple and an orange

Lunch : Usually watermelon or boiled vegetables

Snack : boiled pulses

Dinner : 1 square noodles + watermelon/ boiled vegetables

For cravings, i was constantly eating grapes. I did this the entire April . Starting May, I have switched to my regular lunch which is rice . Also, I cut down on my daily quota of 600/750 ml of soft drinks .

This has all been with zero exercise courtesy the lockdown
Ragavsr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 14:10   #2691
BHPian

Question to the IF practitioners - What are some of things you might snack on, say late in the night?

Ever since the lockdown, I've had to push my sleeping time from 10:30 odd to about 3-3:30am! While I mostly skip dinner (not as an IF practice per se, but more as a habit), I have hunger pangs striking at about midnight - 12 - 1am.

That damn hunger is very distracting and makes it hard to do my work.

Few days I had grapes; banana; watermelon; sprouts (totally love them); then it moved to some unhealthy things like cake and ice-creams! Effectively, I think I might have gained a kilo or so over the last few weeks.

Wondering if the IF folks use something that is filling enough yet low on the calories (on the veg side of the menu).

Thanks.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 14:24   #2692
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
filling enough yet low on the calories (on the veg side of the menu)
My go to snack items these days are:
1. One small rectangle of Amul dark chocolate
2. Carrots + a sliver of cheese
3. Sprouts
4. handful of cashewnuts
5. 25-35g of roasted groundnuts
6. a small cup of corn & peas - with salt & pepper
7. handful of raisins
8. 1-2 dry dates
9. If very hungry, then a banana

corn, peas & carrots are frozen and hence can quickly microwave small quantities and snack on. These small snacks have definitely helped with my 6 day a week IF regime.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 15:14   #2693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Question to the IF practitioners - What are some of things you might snack on, say late in the night?
Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
These small snacks have definitely helped with my 6 day a week IF regime.
Doesn't this snacking defeat the very purpose of intermittent fasting by supplying calories to the body when in principle, we should actually be feeding it none?
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 15:25   #2694
Team-BHP Support

This summer, I have gone berserk with wood apple and watermelon juice. The only fruit I like eating is watermelon nowadays, thanks to summer.

I have a light breakfast (sauted vegetables, eggs etc), lunch (typical but in small quantity) & rest, its all watermelons, love them.

Without trying, weight was lost by another kg. I am at my lowest 81.

To snack and not gain weight, try having fox-nuts.

Last edited by Sheel : 15th May 2020 at 16:00.
Old 15th May 2020, 15:44   #2695
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Wondering if the IF folks use something that is filling enough yet low on the calories (on the veg side of the menu).
I am assuming you are not into IF, but want to know what is a healthy snack during night. Just to clarify, in IF, we do not snack during fasting window and even during eating window, avoid snacking between meals.

Instead of looking for snacks that are low in calories, look for snacks that will not spike your insulin levels, ie., low in sugar and carbs. A few options that I can think of: roasted peanuts, roasted and salted almonds, scrambled eggs (if egg is allowed for you), cheese cubes and fruits low in sugar like strawberries, blueberries, guava, papaya etc., and vegetables saute'd in butter. Avoid snacks like cakes, ice creams and pastries. They are a definite way to gain weight.

Quote:
These small snacks have definitely helped with my 6 day a week IF regime.
I hope these are snacks that you prefer during your eating window, not during fasting window. During eating window, these are absolutely fine.
graaja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 15:49   #2696
BHPian

Quote:
My go to snack items these days are:
Thanks. Will now add peas + carrots; g.nuts + cashews; cheese/almonds/guava (thanks, Graaja).

Dates - The ones we get in market, aren't they sweetened? Tried them, but found too sweet. I have used pitted prunes off and on and found them to be not as sweet as dates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Doesn't this snacking defeat the very purpose of intermittent fasting by supplying calories to the body when in principle, we should actually be feeding it none?
Good point. I guess it does. In my case though, I am not really on IF! I just skip dinner most days for the heck of it! If I have no specific critical tasks to attend to, I don't mind the hunger pangs and can largely ignore them.

However, if I need to be at some official work, the distraction of the hunger I find is a bit difficult to handle and so the need to address them with minimal calories.

Last edited by Miyata : 15th May 2020 at 15:55.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 16:07   #2697
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Doesn't this snacking defeat the very purpose of intermittent fasting
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I hope these are snacks that you prefer during your eating window
Yes, these are for the eating window Black coffee and water are the only things i consume during the fasting window.
procrj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 17:35   #2698
Senior - BHPian

This lockdown season has really helped me with my IF schedule. I have managed to increase my average fasting time from 16 to over 18 hrs with a few 20-24 hrs fast. See the average for this week. Plus I get to break my fast with a butter coffee!

The Weight Loss Thread-screenshot_20200515194820__01.jpg

It has helped me stay below my Plateau. I was stuck on a plateau for more than 2-3 months. See the drop from begining of April onwards.

Good thing now is that the fat percentage has also decreased. Very happy with the overall progress.

The Weight Loss Thread-img20200515wa0012__01.jpg

Off late also started with some push ups. Earlier it was only jogging.
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 19:10   #2699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4. handful of cashew nuts
8. 1-2 dry dates
9. If very hungry, then a banana
These doesn't suit IF I guess. Almonds instead of cashews would help I think. Banana certainly not if you want the carbs to be low. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 15th May 2020, 19:12   #2700
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
This lockdown season has really helped me with my IF schedule. I have managed to increase my average fasting time from 16 to over 18 hrs with a few 20-24 hrs fast. See the average for this week. Plus I get to break my fast with a butter coffee!
Off late also started with some push ups. Earlier it was only jogging.
That is a fantastic streak you got going there!

Even I started using this app since a couple of weeks. Gives that extra motivation not to flunk a fast - I still manage to flunk at least one fast a week

I would highly suggest you add regular strength training to your schedule. A combination of fasting and strength training is the best way to get that shredded body with healthy lean muscle mass.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks