Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2022, 18:15   #796
BHPian

Re: Spooky Experiences : Share them here

It was back in 2007, first year of college in Pune. Ours was a newly built campus and our hostel was just constructed. We were the first ones to be occupying the rooms. Mine was a room at the end of the hallway on ground floor. Our campus was around 1.5 kms into a village road off the highway. Back then it was a dirt road and mostly uninhabited. There was village around 2 kms further down the same dirt road from our college.

As common with Indian villages, there were stories of there being an ancient burial ground on that road and villagers would avoid walking down it late into the night. But now that our campus had come up, it used to to be littered with students until late night.

It was the first week of moving into the hostel, I started having nightmares of weird kinds. I never had any such nightmares in life even as a kid.
I used to be in a state of half awake and half asleep, and hear mixed noises like, some people screaming, some laughing, kids crying, women folk singing etc, all at once and used to feel like all of them are just standing at the head of my bed. Some times, it felt as if they were all standing just at my bed behind me if I am sleeping facing the other side. It would wake me up and then I would go to sleep again. I am not the one to get scared easily and dismissed them as weird dreams.

One day I was sleeping alone in the room as my room-mates were partying at the hostel terrace (Yes, 3 idiots style ) and I started having the same nightmares, I was almost awake when I felt my bed being lifted up from the feet, and came down with a bang! I was totally awake now and it shook me up badly. To this day, I can't be sure if it actually happened or I just felt it happening in my dream, but it felt very real.
I did not tell any of this to my room mate as I did not want to scare him, but asked him to sleep on my bed for the rest of the week and I slept on his. On the second day of sleeping on my bed he woke up all of sudden due to a nightmare. In the morning, I asked him what did he see. I had goosebumps and was shit scared when he described them to me. He had the exact same experience as me of the weird noises of people and the feeling of them being right next to the bed.
Told this to parents and grand mother, she asked me to keep a knife/ scissor under the pillow, keep a Hanuman idol and some other stuff that I don't remember anymore. But after a few days, these things never occurred in the 2 years I stayed in that hostel.

Last edited by ishan12 : 8th June 2022 at 18:17.
ishan12 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 19:11   #797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
It was back in 2007, first year of college in Pune. Ours was a newly built campus and our hostel was just constructed. We were the first ones to be occupying the rooms. Mine was a room at the end of the hallway on ground floor. Our campus was around 1.5 kms into a village road off the highway. Back then it was a dirt road and mostly uninhabited. There was village around 2 kms further down the same dirt road from our college.

Told this to parents and grand mother, she asked me to keep a knife/ scissor under the pillow, keep a Hanuman idol and some other stuff that I don't remember anymore. But after a few days, these things never occurred in the 2 years I stayed in that hostel.
Which College was this?
Old 10th October 2022, 14:51   #798
Senior - BHPian

The recently released Kannada movie Lucky Man is already on Prime.

About half an hour into the movie there is a scene where the hero enters a place called Love Court. Except for a candle held by a character named Baby, the room is engulfed in darkness. Suddenly, there is a flickering of lights and it is revealed that the Boss is trying to fix a light bulb. Once done, the room lits up and we get to see the fixer.

Fair right?

A scene that could have been part of any movie. Why should that spook me? Why, you might ask.

1. The Boss is actually God, played by Late Punith Rajkumar (in one of his last onscreen cameos). His character tries to help the protagonist rethink and relive his life with love, understanding and empathy.

2. I had switched on my Amazon Firestick last Friday. Yesterday, it would switch on, allow me to navigate to the movie Lucky Man and as soon as the title cards end, the TV would start flickering, the screen would go blank and there would be no signal.

I tried changing the HDMI ports, switched off and on the firestick and the TV, checked for loose connections - in short did everything I could think of!

Thrice, the same thing was repeated. Then, on my fourth attempt, things turned normal and we were able to watch the movie till the end.

But does that mean our travails with the stick are over?

I can't just say; not yet!
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 16:10   #799
BHPian

I believe this is very apt here. Quite an interesting study undertaken by a doctor about the dreams/ experiences of patients before they died. The doctor actually interviewed the patients about their dreams and how they felt. The broad finding is that many felt a kind of calm and were at peace due to such dreams and died shortly afterwards. A unique study and insight into human brain.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th December 2022 at 20:12. Reason: Fixing YouTube URL. Just enter the URL directly into the post without the URL tags. Thanks.
vamsi.kona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 19:46   #800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post

I had switched on my Amazon Firestick last Friday. Yesterday, it would switch on, allow me to navigate to the movie Lucky Man and as soon as the title cards end, the TV would start flickering, the screen would go blank and there would be no signal.
The first thing that came to my mind was that the backlight in your LED display was going kaput unless you have a TV that does not have a backlight. Then you are on your own
green_ninja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 21:15   #801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_ninja View Post
The first thing that came to my mind was that the backlight in your LED display was going kaput unless you have a TV that does not have a backlight. Then you are on your own
Its a ten year old LCD unit.

There must have been some software glitch in the Firestick that day and hence the problem.
Old 12th February 2023, 13:38   #802
Senior - BHPian

So this happened early this morning and was captured on my camera which we had set up to monitor the nanny during the day, but just for the fun of it, I decided to leave it on through the night since it records only when there is movement detected.

I figured it was my phone, but not sure what caused it to do this nor if it was the flash or screen blinking. Almost like a Morse code.
There is also a static noise along with the flashes recorded. The phone is a Iphone 13 pro, if that helps in case it is a known issue
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 20:26   #803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I figured it was my phone, but not sure what caused it to do this nor if it was the flash or screen blinking. Almost like a Morse code.
There is also a static noise along with the flashes recorded. The phone is a Iphone 13 pro, if that helps in case it is a known issue
Was it plugged into the charger by any chance? I have had something similar happen with my Android phone when plugged into the charger. Reason being - there was a voltage fluctuation/loose contact in the wall socket and the charging stopped/restarted multiple times in quick succession. The screen switches off/on every time charging stops/starts creating the illusion of flashing. One possible explanation!
Old 12th February 2023, 22:11   #804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_ninja View Post
Was it plugged into the charger by any chance? I have had something similar happen with my Android phone when plugged into the charger. Reason being - there was a voltage fluctuation/loose contact in the wall socket and the charging stopped/restarted multiple times in quick succession. The screen switches off/on every time charging stops/starts creating the illusion of flashing. One possible explanation!
It wasn't plugged in. It was probably because of this-
https://www.reddit.com/r/Nest/commen..._when_nest_is/

Just that I don't remember if I took the phone at that time while half asleep.
Old 19th February 2023, 08:45   #805
BHPian

This happened a couple of months ago. Maybe it was a dream but nevertheless -

It was the middle of the night and I saw a man by my bedside beckoning me to come with him. I also distinctly remember him saying - come with me, its time. I did not want to accompany him and then next I was floating above my bed looking at my own body. Then nothing.

This also happened a second time about a week after this first instance. That time the person was pulling me out of my body but I remember steadfastly refusing to go with him and then again that was that.

Maybe it was something I ate for dinner but these sure were strange dreams.
luvDriving is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 12:40   #806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
It was the middle of the night and I saw a man by my bedside beckoning me to come with him. I also distinctly remember him saying - come with me, its time. I did not want to accompany him and then next I was floating above my bed looking at my own body. Then nothing.

This also happened a second time about a week after this first instance. That time the person was pulling me out of my body but I remember steadfastly refusing to go with him and then again that was that.

Maybe it was something I ate for dinner but these sure were strange dreams.
It could be sleep paralysis, i personally haven't experienced supernatural and neither do i deny it's existence but in most cases there is a scientific explanation.

Here is an article about it https://www.healthline.com/health/sl...emon#treatment
revvharder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 12:56   #807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
It could be sleep paralysis, i personally haven't experienced supernatural and neither do i deny it's existence but in most cases there is a scientific explanation.

Here is an article about it https://www.healthline.com/health/sl...emon#treatment
Thank you for the article.

Yes it could be sleep paralysis, although my sleeping time is the same everyday and I am unable to sleep on my back after my angioplasty last year. It just starts paining in the chest after a couple of minutes of lying on the back so I have to sleep on the left side since the right is also uncomfortable.

First time I heard of this lucid dream concept and it does fit my case.
Old 2nd April 2023, 15:59   #808
Senior - BHPian

The Witches of Solan
Quote:

After the Partition, administrative offices of Lahore’s Punjab University (later, Panjab University, Chandigarh) were shifted to the cantonment barracks in Solan (Himachal Pradesh). Situated high on the hills, the new habitation was surrounded by dense pine trees and deep gorges. It was not long before the inhabitants started fearing that the locality was haunted by churails (witches). Local people often noticed a slow-moving flame in the forest at night. A majority of the residents stopped moving out of home after dark.

After a series of meetings, it was decided that a tantrik should be hired. There was marathon haggling with a few tantriks; finally, one was engaged for ‘guaranteed’ freedom from bhoots and churails at a price of Rs 15, that too in advance. The tantrik and his aide, draped only in a loincloth, with a vermilion mark on the forehead and ash on the body, started conducting rituals at night which were beyond anybody’s comprehension. ‘In 15 days, bad spirits will vanish forever from this place,’ the tantrik proclaimed.

However, his efforts came a cropper; even after more than one month, the movement of the flame after dark persisted. Again, there were several rounds of meetings. It was not long before a consensus emerged: a group of 10 volunteers would face the churails on Tuesday night. It was decided that the group members would keep reciting verses from Hanuman Chalisa during the daring operation in an attempt to fearlessly stay focused on the job.

On the appointed night, the intrepid volunteers started their journey into the ‘haunted’ forest. Pitch darkness and the dreadful sound of wind in the pines could not deter the mini army from its mission. Suddenly, a volunteer shouted, ‘The flame is coming closer!’ Every group member started shivering. When the flame was only a few feet away, there was a shout, ‘Any problem, gentlemen?’ It was a well-attired couple with a lantern.

Without waiting for questions from the stunned group, the man said, ‘We are Mrs and Mr John William; we reside just at the end of this forest and love strolling in the dark.’ The entire group was left speechless by this British couple that had preferred to stay back after 1947 rather than return to the UK.
Source: https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/mu...f-solan-490969
rrsteer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 13:21   #809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
This reminds me of something I read about and I was interested in knowing, very similar phenomena in Rann of Kutch. In fact, when I drove there (Banni Grasslands) last time, tried to be driving around in the night for a few hours but couldn't witness it.
It is called 'Chir Batti' in the local language.
Science has a reason to justify stating certain oxidation of gases happening due to the biomass around, certain plants/trees do release such gases.

Only experience I have is seeing something very similar during my night trek to Makkali Durg (small hillock close to Bangalore). However, the light was steadily moving, made me believe it was definitely someone moving with that light in the bushes. We could never figure out what it was.

Last edited by Ketan : 3rd April 2023 at 13:23.
Old 4th April 2023, 09:54   #810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post

I had experienced sleep paralysis some 6 years back, my kid was just born, I was really short on sleep, While I slept, I felt someone was sitting on my chest and trying to strangle me, I was till in sleep, but with all my might I shouted Om Namah Shivay and pushed whatever it was , away. One hell of a scary episode, later read that it was sleep paralysis. Dint see anyone, only some thing in black.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks