Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2017, 17:24   #631
BHPian

Re: Spooky Experiences : Share them here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokrajagopal View Post
That the world is "probabilistic" is totally different from the world being part of a "multiverse". Yes there are thousands of choices that can change your life. And you may have been a different person if you had made a different choice in hindsight. But that has no connection to the statement that each time you take a choice, the universe splits.
I said the hypothesis is based on the premise that the world is probabilistic (which itself is a hypothesis only). There are choices that are available in our life, but what choice we take can be pre-decided as well (deterministic hypothesis). No one knows.

And since no one knows, hypothesis remains. Till someone can undeniably prove that there is no connection between world being probabilistic and it leading to multiple universes across multiple dimensions.
Old 23rd May 2017, 21:16   #632
Distinguished - BHPian

By jove. T-BHP seems to have a thread for every subject on earth. Allow me to share one interesting and unusual spooky anecdote that got recorded by a ship more than a few times. The warship in question was INS Delhi independent India's first major warship. In World War II she was the light cruiser HMS Achilles that played a major part in the famous Battle of the River Plate in 1939. In that battle she was hit . A few of her crew were killed. One of them was a 20 something English sailor with red head who served in the engine room. Over the coming 39 years of this ships life this red head sailor appeared in the engine room more than once with a sad quiet look on his face. He didn't harm any one but I guess his appearance gave a jolly fright to many a sailor from the physical world. His sightings were duly recorded by both the British crew till 1948 and by the Indians from 1948 to 1978. The presence of this extra crew member was accepted as a good luck charm and the ship sailed on. I wont go into long arguments of whether ghosts exist or not. Just that this apparition was sighted by different crew members over several years and the sightings recorded! I was told this by my father who served on board her. For the record he never saw the red haired sailor.
Attached Thumbnails
Spooky Experiences : Share them here-1569595.jpg  

V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 12:03   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Apart from criticising, there is something very interesting for Non-Believers. How come the unexplained energy presents itself at night almost always, and only to helpless loners, never to a large group ? Universe certainly plans very well not to show such mysterious energy at specific times to specific persons etc, and such discrimination is very interesting to non believers.
Maybe they are loners themselves but there are instances of more people having experienced/felt/seen similar things at the same time/over a period of time. Timings I don't agree, none of my experiences happened at any such peculiar hour, once it was at 5pm and my entire family plus a visiting friend experienced it. It is ok to not believe in something and still exist as the possibilities are endless (read Schroedingers Cat).
But if one believes in God, then you automatically believe in spirits as well, but then this is getting WAY too off-topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
When you are alone, more so when one or more of the senses are suppressed (like sight during nights), the mind is more alert to inputs from other senses
Bingo, a highly realistic example (devoid of spooks) would be a jungle safari. Enter the jungle in a gypsy along with people and then try the same thing walking alone at the same place without anyone around. You will be surprised how much fright can a rustle of a leaf give, and the fact that your ears could actually pick that sound up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Allow me to share one interesting and unusual spooky anecdote that got recorded by a ship more than a few times. The warship in question was INS Delhi independent India's first major warship.
Thank you for sharing Sir, the armed forces sure have their good luck charms around, reminds me of the Baba at Arunachal? Not sure though if his sightings and assistance are documented.

Cheers All, happy sightings

Trojan
Old 24th May 2017, 12:34   #634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Maybe they are loners themselves but there are instances of more people having experienced/felt/seen similar things at the same time/over a period of time. Timings I don't agree, none of my experiences happened at any such peculiar hour, once it was at 5pm and my entire family plus a visiting friend experienced it. It is ok to not believe in something and still exist as the possibilities are endless (read Schroedingers Cat).
But if one believes in God, then you automatically believe in spirits as well, but then this is getting WAY too off-topic.
Belief is also a function of brain. Think about this - what we are, how we act/react, how and what we do, basically all our personality is just a function of our brain, rest of our body is just either an input device or an output device, or bio-mechanical parts needed to keep the brain functioning.

And our brain can act weird. It can sense things on its own, without any inputs from our sensory organs (we experience, see, touch, taste, even smell in our dreams. Even motor nerves act accordingly, like, feeling of falling in our dreams). Same for spooky experiences - We see things while they actually are not there, we can "feel" something spooky around us.

And collectively, such feelings can multiply. Case in point - mob mentality. UFO sightings are a very good example of collective spooky experiences. IF one person says he can see some UFO up in the sky, others usually get "infected" too and you get collective stories of UFO sightings. That's how rumors spread, like rumors of haunted places. When you visit any haunted place, the mind is already geared up to the "fact" that this place is haunted, and start building up sensory perceptions (even ESP) of non-existent things.

Last edited by Nav-i-gator : 24th May 2017 at 12:35.
Old 24th May 2017, 12:54   #635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He got terribly spooked. Bhole nath, not getting any answer, yelled again in frustration "ramlal, mujhe yahan upar latka ke kahan chala gaya? maar daalunga tujhe" (ramlal, where have you gone, leaving me stranded up here, I will kill you). ramlal (the one passing by) died on the spot with a heart attack.

to be continued...
Did you continue this story sir?
Old 24th May 2017, 13:12   #636
BHPian

Great to see this thread rolling back in action. I am desperately waiting for tsk's explanation on all of these

By the way does anyone have a personal account of experiencing ghost/apparition sighting on Mumbai's Aarey colony road ??
Old 24th May 2017, 13:14   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post

BTW, I have heard a lot about Bhangarh fort and that the ASI has it off limits after sunset because of paranormal activities. Does any one have any idea if this is true?
I have been to Bhangarh many times, there is nothing haunted about that place IMHO. I have spoken to the residents of nearby villages, and almost all the elders had the same story to tell. Firstly the hills and the ruins of abandoned Bhangarh were home to a lot of panthers and other wild animals. Secondly, it also became a favorable place of refuge for dacoits due to the stories of hauntings. Unsuspecting people who went there become prey of the wild animals or were killed by the dacoits, and these killings were given the name of hauntings.
Also the idols and many artifacts were stolen from the bhangarh permises even after it was taken over by ASI.
I am a believer, but honestly I would say Bhangarh isnt haunted. Rather I have found Nahargarh and surrounding hilly areas to be more haunted and spooky although these hills also have a lot of pathers and hyenas.
Old 24th May 2017, 13:26   #638
BHPian

Thanks for penning down. Very interesting read, bring it on!
Quote:
Continued:

So 5 of us somehow managed to squeeze into the rickshaw and started moving......

Last edited by .anshuman : 24th May 2017 at 16:06. Reason: Removing large quote. Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 13:53   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Great to see this thread rolling back in action. I am desperately waiting for tsk's explanation on all of these

By the way does anyone have a personal account of experiencing ghost/apparition sighting on Mumbai's Aarey colony road ??
I used to travel through that road every day at odd times; including late at night solo drives. I never saw anything which was spooky. The only vaguely spooky thing I can recall was seeing the eyes of a panther through the shrubbery once. I had given a lift to a toll road employee and he shouted "Sahab, gaadi bhagao!"
IMO, even though the road appears regularly in the list of haunted places in Mumbai - it's bogus.
There is also supposed to be an old abandoned church inside SEEPZ which is haunted. I visited it along with friends late one night and the only danger were snakes which used to be common around the place.
DJ
Old 24th May 2017, 15:01   #640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
Rather I have found Nahargarh and surrounding hilly areas to be more haunted and spooky although these hills also have a lot of pathers and hyenas.
Any stories would be a value addition here
Old 24th May 2017, 17:43   #641
BANNED

I’m not sure if this thread is confined to personal experiences only, or if one is permitted to post contemporary reports from the media – press, blogs etc. Mods if that is so, I would be grateful if you deleted the following.
I have found the following two videos for those of us who, like me, find the whole paradox of UFOs/Alien intelligence & abduction, quite fascinating. The enigma continues, with the final solution just around the corner - just as it has always been till now! The phenomena, as many pundits now seem to acknowledge, has the characteristics of the infinite onion skins problem - keep on peeling them, one after another, ad infinitum...

- father & son capture video of alien craft
– ufos, a game of perception – the movie

An interesting discourse in 'Paranormalia' - this time on the subject of Animal Psi (Paranormalia: Animal Psi). I am sure most members on this forum who are also pet lovers, will have had occasion to wonder at their pet's ability (dogs are particularly well known for this) to anticipate the arrival of some favourite family member. We are always amazed when our boxer Kluso (you may have met him on the Pets' thread, where he has appeared a couple of times!) seems to know when my wife or I am returning - long before the car is anywhere in the neighborhood, by showing restlessness and starting to whine, and finally racing up to the terrace to bark his head off in anticipation! Whether it is their extraordinary hearing ability (I find this explanation more that of a skeptic's!) or some genuine telepathic ability is open to question. The above article certainly tilts the debate towards the latter!

Spooky tales with some factual background always seems to grab the eyeballs better than the usual anecdotal kind! Here's one which has acquired a sort of cult following over the years. And if you have read it before, just let our other fellow members have the benefit too!
(Skeptophilia: Lord Dufferin and the man in the garden)

A subject of sustained interest in the paranormal field is that of crop circles (movie buffs will remember M.Night Shyamalan's "Signs" which had a crop circle apparently in the farmlands around Bangalore, tho' I was unable to find it in the literature on the subject!) and Lucy Pringle is among the leading investigators of the phenomena. Her website - Lucy Pringle\'s Crop Circle News - is quite fascinating for those interested in the phenomena.
The following - blog.lucypringle.co.uk/news/the-ansty-crop-circle-mystery-interview/ - was a recent blog which I found absorbing.
Another interesting personality in this field is Linda Moulton Howe. Her reporting of various phenomena resulted in several gripping best sellers books (“Glimpses of other Realities ”, “High Strangeness” “An alien harvest” among others). The following is a recent interview of Ms Howes : . Her website Earthfiles.com gives an insight into her work.
Old 24th May 2017, 18:32   #642
BHPian

Quote:
And since no one knows, hypothesis remains. Till someone can undeniably prove that there is no connection between world being probabilistic and it leading to multiple universes across multiple dimensions.
I dont think that is how theories work. The person who puts forward the unnatural theory, or hypothesis is supposed to prove it. Not everybody else trying to disprove it.
Old 24th May 2017, 18:36   #643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_the_Sun
This is a crowd paranoia example, very well recorded in history. Case in point, a few thousands of people saw the sun dancing.
Did the sun dance ? No, everybody in the world would have seen it.

People experiencing spooky stuff going thru the same place as loners is just proof that their mind is playing the stories they already heard.
Its the fear; we are all programmed to be afraid right in our DNA. Its an evolutionary thing.

It certainly is okay to believe in something without any proof as long as it does not affect anybody else.
Old 24th May 2017, 18:38   #644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
By jove. T-BHP seems to have a thread for every subject on earth. Allow me to share one interesting and unusual spooky anecdote that got recorded by a ship more than a few times. The warship in question was INS Delhi independent India's first major warship. In World War II she was the light cruiser HMS Achilles that played a major part in the famous Battle of the River Plate in 1939. In that battle she was hit . A few of her crew were killed. One of them was a 20 something English sailor with red head who served in the engine room. Over the coming 39 years of this ships life this red head sailor appeared in the engine room more than once with a sad quiet look on his face. He didn't harm any one but I guess his appearance gave a jolly fright to many a sailor from the physical world. His sightings were duly recorded by both the British crew till 1948 and by the Indians from 1948 to 1978. The presence of this extra crew member was accepted as a good luck charm and the ship sailed on. I wont go into long arguments of whether ghosts exist or not. Just that this apparition was sighted by different crew members over several years and the sightings recorded! I was told this by my father who served on board her. For the record he never saw the red haired sailor.
It may be a coincidence that the appearances stopped around the time cameras started being bought and used by people rather than only by professionals.
Old 25th May 2017, 09:35   #645
BHPian

Quote:
I dont think that is how theories work. The person who puts forward the unnatural theory, or hypothesis is supposed to prove it. Not everybody else trying to disprove it.
Apparently, it works this way in realms of theoretical physics. None of the proponents of big bang theory, for example, have been able so far to prove why it occurred, and any cause put forward is still a hypothesis.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks