Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2013, 11:59   #1276
BHPian

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM007 View Post
I have a 3+ yrs kid. I wish to apply for his passport. As there is no urgency, will apply for normal passport instead of express. I want to know if the rules are changed from 1st July' 13.

I heard that there is no need to book slot if application is for kids. Is it true? Has anyone applied for kids in past 2 months?

Also, what is average time for getting passport of kids?
In Bangalore PSK's, for kids under 5, you can do a walk-in between 930 AM and 1130 AM. I applied in the month of July and got it within a week.
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:14   #1277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I heard that there is no need to book slot if application is for kids. Is it true? Has anyone applied for kids in past 2 months?

Also, what is average time for getting passport of kids?
You do not have to book a slot for kids.Take the ARN and you are good to go.You need to visit the PSK between 9:30 to 10:30 IIRC.

The documents required are.

1, Birth Certificate
2, Passport copies of both parents (Address proof)
3, Declaration by parents &
4, Pics.

In Bangalore,you get kids PP in 2 weeks.

Regards,

Waseem.
Old 3rd September 2013, 16:55   #1278
NAK

Yes if you are applying for kids below 5, you dont need to book an appointment and you can walk in between 9.30 to 11.30. I applied for a fresh passport for my 2 yr old daughter and re-issue for my 6 year old daughter; both through the normal application. I went 2 weeks ago on a Monday and got the passport delivered last Monday for both of them. The whole process inside the PSK took about 1.5 hours for both. For the 2 yr kid it was extremely quick while for 6 yr one it took slightly longer.

Regards
Nitin
Old 3rd September 2013, 17:45   #1279
BHPian

Thanks all for the answers, which are indeed helpful.

Now couple of new questions emerged in my mind . . .

Is it ok if I go alone for applying passport for my kid ? I hope my wife and kid is not required there?

Addresses on parents passports is different from current address :(
What documents will be required? I have Electricity bill + Bank passbook + E-Aadhar + Property tax etc on my name. Will it do?
Old 3rd September 2013, 18:23   #1280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it ok if I go alone for applying passport for my kid ? I hope my wife and kid is not required there?

Addresses on parents passports is different from current address :(
What documents will be required? I have Electricity bill + Bank passbook + E-Aadhar + Property tax etc on my name. Will it do?

You need to take your kid to the PSK.

For address proof, take your Property tax document+statement of accounts for last one year (Endorsed by the bank)+passbook and its photocopy.

Waseem.
Old 24th September 2013, 16:30   #1281
BHPian

Got my passport today. The various timelines for various status messages were :

13th August 2013 : The documents were submitted to PSK Andheri, Mumbai
13th Augusr 2013 : I get sms that the file has been created and fwded to local police station for physical verification.
19th August 2013 : File reaches my local police station.
4th Sept 2013 : I personally goto my local police station and request them to speed up my police verification as I have to travel in Oct.
4th Sept 2013 : Police verification done at local police station. Cost Rs 10.
12th Sept 2013 : My file is sent to SP office for next level of police verification.
16th Sept 2013 : Online status updated as "Waiting for police verification from SP office received"
18th Sept 2013 : Online status updated as "police verification from SP office received, passport printing in progress"
19th Sept 2013 : Online status updated as "Passport has been printed, am sms/mail will be sent when it is dispatched"
24th Sept 2013 : Online Status updated as "Passport no XXXXX has been dispatched via speed post with tracking no XXXXX"
24th Sept 2013 : Passport received.
Old 24th September 2013, 16:47   #1282
Distinguished - BHPian

General question: is it worth the time and trouble updating one's passport address or is it OK if the address isn't current? I have never really faced any problem with this despite at one time each member of my family (travelling together) having a different passport address. But heard recently that it is illegal to have multiple addresses listed on official documents, so just wanted to know the legal position on this.
Old 24th September 2013, 22:30   #1283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
General question: is it worth the time and trouble updating one's passport address or is it OK if the address isn't current? I have never really faced any problem with this despite at one time each member of my family (travelling together) having a different passport address. But heard recently that it is illegal to have multiple addresses listed on official documents, so just wanted to know the legal position on this.
Well, it is your call and It is not illegal to have multiple addresses listed on official documents.

Waseem.
Old 24th September 2013, 23:09   #1284
BHPian

Recently got my Passport renewed. The initial one was issued in my native place so needed to change the address too. This is the total timeline.

1st Aug : Created user id @ http://passportindia.gov.in/, paid the fee and got an appointment on 28th August 2.15PM. As per the website I just needed two copies of my BSNL Landphone bill.
28th Aug : Was at the ORR, Bangalore PSK at 2PM. Ample parking space and conveniently located. I was in the queue for Document verification by 2.15. Turns out since I had filled up my wife's name in the form and they need marriage certificate copy. The counter guy told me that its mandatory to have wife's name in husband's passport and vice versa to have kid's passport. He also informed me that I will create a file and just walk in between 9-11AM next day. I was out by 2.40PM.
29th Aug : Was there at 9AM sharp. Documents verified and entered into the main counter. Basically its 3 step process.
1. All document verified, scanned and uploaded. Takes photo and bio metric reading too.
2. Verification of details uploaded in Counter 1. I had to go back to Counter 1 since there were some confusions regarding my place of Birth. Corrections done and Counter 2 cleared.
3. Cross check for everything.
Overall it took 2.5 hours. Counter 1 is maintained by TCS. Counter 2 is junior level MEA employee and Counter 3 is senior level MEA employee. Very smooth process with plenty of place to rest and LCD monitors displaying your queue status. Counter 2 takes the longest time.
29th Aug 8PM : Got a call from Koramangala PS to come with photos and telephone bills for verification. Process completed in 30 minutes. If you are not local don't play smart. Go there with all documents. Appear professional and speak in pure english with formal tone. The constable was very coy asking about where do I work, how many times I go overseas etc. Guys in Bangalore would know the sir... sir... tone. After submission and signing forms I was out in 30 minutes.
10th Sept : Interesting enough the status said "Waiting for physical verification at PS" even if it was complete on that day itself. Finally 10th Sept it said "Physical Verification complete and report sent to Commissioner office.
16th Sept: Police verification complete and printing in progress.
20th Sept : Passport dispatched.
21st Sept : 9 AM I get an SMS with speed post tracking number and got the delivery at 1PM when cleaning my car. Again the post man started talking passport sir... good sir.. I was in a good mood to give him 30 bucks.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised with the professionalism and transparency of the passport issue process. Kudos to MEA and TCS. I remember 2003 when I applied first. Things have definitely changed and its for good.
Old 4th October 2013, 11:32   #1285
Senior - BHPian

Applied passport for on 1st Oct for both my kids.The turnaround time was just 40 mins for both the kids, we reached the PSK at 10:30 and the process got over by 11:10.

Yesterday's status was ''Passport has been granted''.
Today's status is that ''Passport has been printed and you will receive an sms/email when it is dispatched''.

Kudos to MEA and TCS for this.

Waseem.
Old 24th October 2013, 13:14   #1286
BHPian

This has to be the fastest Passport delivery(?) by the PSK in history

On 21/10/13 me and my mother go to PSK Malad to submit our application (Fresh Passport). Since she is a central government employee there would be no police verification for her so I expected her to get it within a month or so. Both of our applications are accepted and we come back home. Later on during the day, I just checked the tracking status for the heck of it.

Mine showed 'Pending for physical police verification at your respective Thana under SP Office, District Mumbai.'

While my mother's status came up as 'Passport has been granted'

On 22/10/13 my status is still the same, while my mother's status read 'Passport has been printed. An email/sms will be sent when your passport is dispatched'

On 24/10/13, my status remains the same and I'm holding my mother's passport in my hand!

So, to round up, application was submitted on Monday and she got the passport by Thursday! I don't think even the Tatkal applicants can get a passport this quickly!
Old 24th October 2013, 15:42   #1287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvord12 View Post
This has to be the fastest Passport delivery(?) by the PSK in history
For non tatkaal certainly seems the case!

Quote:
Since she is a central government employee...
Ah...there's your explanation right there!!
Old 24th October 2013, 15:48   #1288
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I am not sure about the legal position per se, but if you are making a change of address entry on a passport that carries a valid visa. You'll end up with two passport booklets that you'll have to carry everytime you travel.

I am in a similar dilemma as my passport carries a valid visa and my old address. Doesn't matter actually. As long as that address was a valid and permanent one. Wait until your passport expires and do it all in one go.
Old 24th October 2013, 20:25   #1289
BHPian

I am applying passport for my 5 month old kid. I have already filled application online and paid the amount through net-banking. They have allotted appointment next month 5th.

Query is..

My passport already has spouse name printed on it however in my wife's passport it's not added and also the address is different to the current one. Will this be a problem in granting the passport to my kid ?

For Infant passport should both parents passport mandatory have spouse name added to it?
Old 25th October 2013, 09:38   #1290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohh!Oxygen View Post
Recently got my Passport renewed. The initial one was issued in my native place so needed to change the address too. This is the total timeline.

[b]
29th Aug 8PM : Got a call from Koramangala PS to come with photos and telephone bills for verification. Process completed in 30 minutes. If you are not local don't play smart. Go there with all documents. Appear professional and speak in pure english with formal tone. The constable was very coy asking about where do I work, how many times I go overseas etc. Guys in Bangalore would know the sir... sir... tone. After submission and signing forms I was out in 30 minutes.
Did you had to shell out anything in Koramangala PS? I have heard from my friends that Electronic City PS charges Rs.500/- :(

Most Viewed