Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2018, 00:13   #10621
BHPian

#MYXI P Shaw, K L Rahul, C Pujara, V Kohli (c), A Rahane, GH Vihari, R Pant (wk), R Ashwin, I Sharma, M Shami & J Bhumrah.

Even though H Pandya performed well still we need proper 7 batsmen. But Kohli and Shastri will make H Pandya play even on one leg.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 29th August 2018 at 00:14.
Old 29th August 2018, 09:00   #10622
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

For the first time in Kohli's term as a test captain so far (38 Tests), we may see an unchanged team tomorrow...It's a baffling record that he has not played the same team for 2 consecutive matches! Dhawan,Rahul,Pujara,Rahane looked a lot better than the first 2 tests and Pandya with that 5-wicket haul and a 50 has pretty much sealed it. But if they come out with the "Horses for Courses" thing and play around with the bowling setup, the record will increase to 39.
Old 29th August 2018, 09:40   #10623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
And, I don't think that's the way it works in India or anywhere else where the system is mature. Can cite several examples the other way - MSD, Hussey, Ajmal, Hayden, Herath.
Everyone seems to keep looking for the next child prodigy who can live the Tendulkar life. Start at 16 and play for 20 years.

For every Tendulkar that we found, we ended up burning out dozens of promising cricketers who could have done better if picked a few years later. At least now we have the IPL to sustain them in money terms. before IPL, many such other rejects got into such a poor rut that they barely even played for their Ranji teams later.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th August 2018 at 09:54. Reason: Fixing typo
Old 29th August 2018, 10:37   #10624
Senior - BHPian

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...er-odi-cricket

Interesting read with a lot of details. It confirms what some of us suspected about Bevan and Dhoni in ODIs
Old 29th August 2018, 11:35   #10625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
For the first time in Kohli's term as a test captain so far (38 Tests), we may see an unchanged team tomorrow...It's a baffling record that he has not played the same team for 2 consecutive matches! Dhawan,Rahul,Pujara,Rahane looked a lot better than the first 2 tests and Pandya with that 5-wicket haul and a 50 has pretty much sealed it. But if they come out with the "Horses for Courses" thing and play around with the bowling setup, the record will increase to 39.
Don't be so sure. Ashwin may not be fit and Jadeja may get in. Kohli can still keep this ridiculous record growing. Don't see Umesh coming in for Shami. I want to see same playing 11. Never change a winning combination
Old 29th August 2018, 11:40   #10626
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Don't be so sure. Ashwin may not be fit and Jadeja may get in. Kohli can still keep this ridiculous record growing. Don't see Umesh coming in for Shami. I want to see same playing 11. Never change a winning combination
I know, I am not 100% sure at all I only wrote that the possibility is high.
I read about Ashwin before posting here. He is fit and has bowled in all practice sessions it seems. However Shami may be replaced with Shardul or Umesh it seems. And if the pitch supports spin then Jadeja may come in as an additional spinner too.
Old 29th August 2018, 12:19   #10627
BANNED

Quote:
It's a baffling record that he has not played the same team for 2 consecutive matches!
Actually, the record is more damning than that. He has never played the same 2 teams ever - i.e. not just in consecutive matches. Each of his matches has had a unique team as compared to any of the teams he has captained.
Old 29th August 2018, 17:48   #10628
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Bhuvi is fit again & has figures of 3-33 in the India 'A' game in the Quadrangular! Perhaps the selectors should send him off to England for the 5th test.
Old 29th August 2018, 19:05   #10629
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For the first time in Kohli's term as a test captain so far (38 Tests), we may see an unchanged team tomorrow...
Agree, I hope the team remains unchanged simply because everyone did their bit (or more) in the previous test. Dhawan and Rahul did well, so no need to replace one of them with Prithvi Shaw.

Pujara did well and unless Kohli is unable to play, no need for Hanuma as replacement.

And despite all the doubts on Pandya he did end up doing well, so why replace him with someone else ?

Why fix something that ain't broken ?

But then you never know Kohli ...

Last edited by NPV : 29th August 2018 at 19:08.
Old 30th August 2018, 14:51   #10630
BHPian

I don't have a stats to back me up, but I just get the feeling that luck does not favor Indian captains during toss. Even during this ENG tour, Kohli has won the toss in 1st one day and lost 5 consecutively since then. Who knows, if he had won the toss in 2nd test, the result could have been completely different?
Anyway, eagerly waiting for the toss which happens in less than 10mins!

Edit: one more added to his list :(

Last edited by kavensri : 30th August 2018 at 15:05.
Old 30th August 2018, 15:10   #10631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
I don't have a stats to back me up, but I just get the feeling that luck does not favor Indian captains during toss. Even during this ENG tour, Kohli has won the toss in 1st one day and lost 5 consecutively since then. Who knows, if he had won the toss in 2nd test, the result could have been completely different?
Anyway, eagerly waiting for the toss which happens in less than 10mins!
Well, we have lost the toss once again and Joe Root has elected to bat first, let's see how this one pans out as today we have the fire power to take advantage of a fresh pitch as well
Old 30th August 2018, 15:13   #10632
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Kohli: Would have batted first as well. Good grass covering, nice and even, probably the best pitch of the series. Good thing about it is that it's hard so you can get something out of it with the new ball. We have an unchanged XI. First time in a long time. Rightly so as well. Don't think we need to change looking at the conditions. We have all bases covered.
Finally!! the record of playing 38 unique teams has stopped.
Old 30th August 2018, 15:27   #10633
BHPian

38 unique teams and now an anomaly. But I still feel they should have gone with Shaw and Jadeja instead of Dhawan and Shami respectively. If not now then when do we give these young guns an opportunity?
I hope Dhawan proves me wrong. He has to hit a century in this match.
Old 30th August 2018, 15:41   #10634
Senior - BHPian

I like the idea of losing the toss and winning the match.
Jennings gone plumb lbw

Quote:
Finally!! the record of playing 38 unique teams has stopped.
46 according to Cricinfo
Old 30th August 2018, 15:59   #10635
Team-BHP Support

Considering how frequently Bumrah has been bowling a no-ball, shouldn't he be sent back to NCA to get this fixed.

It's almost like: Bumrah gets a wicket - let's check his foot - oh, it's a no-ball!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks