Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2018, 22:40   #10396
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
In the end a great innings by Kohli (149) and England have a 13 run lead.
True. I don't know when I last saw an innings like that!!

Incredible
Old 2nd August 2018, 23:24   #10397
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful innings by Kohli - 1st test, 1st innings hundred . He easily lost around 50 odd runs, by refusing singles while batting with tail-enders.
Old 3rd August 2018, 11:08   #10398
PPS
Senior - BHPian

We are once again becoming a 1 batsman team outside Asia just like the Tendulkar era back in the 90's. As someone rightly said, Indians were busy preparing for Broad & Anderson but Curran came out of the syllabus! The ball also started to do a lot after the first 10 overs.
Our batsman are making the same mistakes that they did in SA who had a much better bowling attack. There's a total lack of application from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Dhawan always starts in the playing XI and fails and then is dropped after 2 Tests. The cycle just keeps repeating itself.
Time has come for selectors to have separate squads for Asian & Foreign conditions. So that someone like Dhawan can also have adequate rest in between just like how Rohit Sharma is having right now.
Old 3rd August 2018, 11:16   #10399
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
He easily lost around 50 odd runs, by refusing singles while batting with tail-enders.
On the contrary, I think his approach was extremely calculated and masterful. He limited the exposure to Ishant and Umesh by giving them only 1 or 2 balls to face each over. They both faced 31/130-odd balls.

Had he gone for those singles, these two would have faced more deliveries and probably gotten out. And not like Kohli didn't take any runs: there was a boundary very, very frequently.

I like how someone put it on Cricinfo: The entire English team focussed on getting the tailenders out rather than Kohli while Kohli focussed on getting runs.

From 182/8 to having a trail of just 13 is simply terrific cricket.
Old 3rd August 2018, 11:42   #10400
Oxy
BHPian

I am amazed that we are still in the game.

Picture this - We are staring down the barrel at 100/5, then Malan and Cook drop a sitter each offered by Kohli and Pandya. Imagine if those two catches were taken and we were then like 110/7, we would have been shot out for 130 odd max.

Still we got ourselves in an embarrassing position at 182/8. How Kohli got us to 274 from there is just a sheer miracle.

We need to stop picking players on "current form" because in Rahul's case, that current form was his LOI form. Test cricket is an entirely different ball game. Had we not made this mistake in South Africa where we played rockstar Rohit over Rahane, we would have probably won that series. Cheerleader Shastri is too stubborn to learn from mistakes.

Also Rahul is chopping the ball to his stumps on a very regular basis, I clearly remember him getting out like this in Sri Lanka too on a couple of occasions. So this is a glaring technical deficiency that he needs to work on.

Pandya adds no value to the test team. Considering this pitch, Jadeja would have been a far better option.

Hope we get them out today and don't have too many to chase.
Old 3rd August 2018, 12:26   #10401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Wonderful innings by Kohli - 1st test, 1st innings hundred . He easily lost around 50 odd runs, by refusing singles while batting with tail-enders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
On the contrary, I think his approach was extremely calculated and masterful. He limited the exposure to Ishant and Umesh by giving them only 1 or 2 balls to face each over. They both faced 31/130-odd balls.
I think msdivy was also hinting at the same thing that you are saying i.e. he played for the team and not for individual runs and being not out at the end. Hope the rest of the batting steps up
Old 3rd August 2018, 12:33   #10402
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
I think msdivy was also hinting at the same thing that you are saying i.e. he played for the team and not for individual runs and being not out at the end.
Ah, I see it now

Day 3 should be interesting. Also, wonder if Kohli will play around with the team composition some more for the next Test. None of the top order played so Pujara could be given a chance. I'm sure this constant shuffling isn't helping anyone.
Old 3rd August 2018, 14:28   #10403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I like how someone put it on Cricinfo: The entire English team focussed on getting the tailenders out rather than Kohli while Kohli focussed on getting runs.
There are some really funny comments on Cricinfo.
For example, this one about Cook's dismissal in the second innings:

"With Shami spraying the ball all over the place Cook never got a feel of ball on bat! Great teamwork :P"
Old 3rd August 2018, 14:33   #10404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
There are some really funny comments on Cricinfo.
For example, this one about Cook's dismissal in the second innings:

"With Shami spraying the ball all over the place Cook never got a feel of ball on bat! Great teamwork :P"
Yeah, even i liked it when i read this yesterday. I love the cricinfo commentary for some of the witty comments from the users.
Old 3rd August 2018, 17:21   #10405
Team-BHP Support

All we need now are Bairstow, Stokes & Butler before they cross 125
Old 3rd August 2018, 17:39   #10406
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
All we need now are Bairstow, Stokes & Butler before they cross 125
86/6 now, Ashwin and Ishant sharing the honours with 3 wickets each. Just hope we wrap up the remaining 4 in quick time - Buttler and the 3 bowlers, 2 of who can bat well sometimes
Old 3rd August 2018, 17:43   #10407
Distinguished - BHPian

Not a Kohli fan at all, but great innings, great captaincy and (finally) great slip catching! Awesome to see us winning so many sessions during the first Test match itself on an overseas tour against a competitive team! Really, really hoping to see this happen in Australia too!
Old 3rd August 2018, 17:55   #10408
Team-BHP Support

All credit to India for bowling great and taking their catches, but England have done their bit to help, batting like amateurs. All due respect to amateurs.

India need to be chasing 150 or less, nobody except Kohli has batted much better than England have.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd August 2018 at 17:57.
Old 3rd August 2018, 19:08   #10409
Team-BHP Support

I absolutely hated Dhawans smirk after the catch drop. Absolutely hated it.

And DK has to go. He can't keep at all. He is HORRIBLE!!
Old 3rd August 2018, 19:51   #10410
Team-BHP Support

This is beginning to inch towards dangerous territory. 200-odd will be a tricky target to chase, decent to defend.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks