Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2021, 23:30   #12871
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
One would think that the Aussie captain would back his world class pacers to wrap up this test in less than a day, considering there are 11 first choice Indian players unavailable.
With the draw, though Border-Gavaskar is shared, Australia would be better placed in World Test Championship (2019-2021). Hence their focus on not losing this test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
I wish Rohit had shown some restraint.
Tomorrow is the day, to put all past behind, to stand up & deliver for Rohit. He has an incredible record in ODIs/T20s. Now the time has come to prove his caliber in tests. It is these situations that separate the greats from the good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
But this team, it's a different level, so much respect for these boys.
What do you make of it? Has Kohli built a team that performs well in his absence, or Rahane has handled the situation well with limited available resources?

Indian bowlers have stood out in this series. They looked capable of bowling out Australian batting within 300 in all the matches. In this test, though the combined test wicket tally of the Indian bowling attack is 11 wickets, they have taken 20 Australian wickets. I feel it is the IPL that has given them the discipline & the confidence to play top cricket.
Old 18th January 2021, 23:36   #12872
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
With the draw, though Border-Gavaskar is shared, Australia would be better placed in World Test Championship (2019-2021). Hence their focus on not losing this test.
Tomorrow is the day, to put all past behind, to stand up & deliver for Rohit. He has an incredible record in ODIs/T20s. Now the time has come to prove his caliber in tests. It is these situations that separate the greats from the good.
What do you make of it? Has Kohli built a team that performs well in his absence, or Rahane has handled the situation well with limited available resources?

Indian bowlers have stood out in this series. They looked capable of bowling out Australian batting within 300 in all the matches. In this test, though the combined test wicket tally of the Indian bowling attack is 11 wickets, they have taken 20 Australian wickets. I feel it is the IPL that has given them the discipline & the confidence to play top cricket.
I think time of building teams is not relevant anymore, extending your point about IPL, players now come from corporate backgrounds, they know what is expected of them. Playing for india is now even harder and a matter of even more pride, so these boys are already trained for that.

Kohli has never come across to me as a great leader, if anything I personally believe he has a negative impact, but with the records in his favor it is difficult to prove that. The hunger to play for India drives the boys now, we all know how RCB fares under his captaincy and how same set of players go on and shine in other teams. Rahane or rohit seem to be calmer and someone I will also personally go and talk first then approaching kohli, so rahane might have got that little edge, but not something path breaking,while playing for India.

Last edited by AtheK : 18th January 2021 at 23:39.
AtheK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 03:02   #12873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My statement comes from the fact that the way Australia had predicted that they will white wash this team, how we will roll over and lose in Gabba, our team has been trading blows with Aussies. Even if they win tomorrow it will be only on last day of the series and probably the last session too.

Clearly they could not walk the talk, and hence I said not many will give credit to Australia even if they somehow win the series, but high praises for Indian team will be from all the circles.
Please point me where they said they would "whitewash". A win is a win does not really matter on what day of the test. Are you going to account for time wasted due to rain as well which until now has wasted almost 2 sessions of play? Australia hasnt lost a test in Gaba since 1988 and it is a fact. That is where their confidences comes from.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 19th January 2021 at 03:03.
Old 19th January 2021, 07:11   #12874
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Please point me where they said they would "whitewash".
A video where Mark Waugh said "No hope, 4-0" is here

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...64200c5a3c0ee8

Then there are others like Ponting, Clarke, Warne and others...

https://firstsportz.com/india-vs-aus...cond-test/?amp

I peraonally feel this to be off-field tactics to put the visitors under pressure like how Australians are always are known to do. But this Indian team hasn't let that happen and have shown that these tactics just won't work.
hemanth.anand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 08:38   #12875
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sometimes statistics may not tell the real story with just the numbers, but most times inferences can be made since these are based on facts. Rohit Sharma has a "split" personality when it comes to Test cricket - great success when playing at home/Asian conditions and quite bad when playing elsewhere and that just continues with his batting in this test as well.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 08:49   #12876
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
A video where Mark Waugh said "No hope, 4-0" is here...I peraonally feel this to be off-field tactics to put the visitors under pressure like how Australians are always are known to do.
The previous Australian side had the talent to walk the talk. This Australian side isn't a shadow of the sides with Hayden, Waugh, Ponting, Gilchrist, Clarke, Symonds, Lee, Gillespie, Warne, etc.

The 36 all out was a once in a decade event where everything things went in favor of the bowlers. Australia was bowled out for 47 (by RSA) in 2011 and for 60 (by Eng) in 2015.

This Indian team seems to have put that long behind themselves and have definitely played out of their skins. They have shown some great resilience.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 10:18   #12877
Senior - BHPian

14 of 15 sessions (rounds?) completed. The match still open to all 4 results.
Old 19th January 2021, 10:20   #12878
Distinguished - BHPian

Should go for a win from here, even if we lose, so be it.
AtheK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 10:21   #12879
Senior - BHPian

Pujara/Pant, Pujara/Gill combo is reminiscent of the Dravid/Sehwag combo of the past. It's like driving a car fast but with seat belts and airbags in place. Such a lovely safety net to have ! Hope India write a big piece of test cricketing history at Gabba today.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 19th January 2021 at 10:23.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 10:29   #12880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I think Australia are in a bit of bother. They want to win this match to claim the Border - Gavaskar Trophy, but they cant do so without risking a loss themselves.

The last session would be interesting. India's batting effort in the last test and the first innings here despite being 6 down will weigh down heavily on them. I would back the team to survive 3 sessions and chase down 320 runs if they have more than 3 sessions.
Quoting myself from yesterday. So pumped up by the way we have batted so far. Last session today, all four results possible. Australia wont really be relaxed at this juncture. A 10 over spell with Pant in his elements is enough to turn this our way conclusively.

That said, it is still possible that we lose 7 wickets in one session, but if I am to bet, I would bet on the batsmen surviving .
Old 19th January 2021, 10:29   #12881
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
14 of 15 sessions (rounds?) completed. The match still open to all 4 results.
What an awesome match and series this is turning out to be. This aussie team doesnt seem to have the steel that is needed to close out a match, which i would attribute to their leader.

Coming back to the topic of our own captain Kohli, IMO, he is a very uninspiring leader but a great batsman. The grit and focus he is able to show in his batting, he has been unable to extend the same to his team. Best example is RCB #ESCN. I think that the credit for the last few games needs to definetly go to Rahane/Rohit/Ashwin and whoever else has managed to step in and get these players to build that resistance that is needed to go out there and grind it out, session after session.
procrj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 10:57   #12882
BHPian

In my opinion Virat Kohli's captaincy isn't too bad. Some quick stats from cricinfo about the tests in which he has been the captain.
He has been part of the leadership team and has influenced the team evolution, selection etc. He needs given credit either way depending on how we see, along with the rest of the team management.

Player Span Mat Won Lost Tied Draw W/L %W %L
V Kohli (INDIA) 2014-2020 56 33 13 0 10 2.53 58.92 23.21
MS Dhoni (INDIA)2008-2014 60 27 18 0 15 1.50 45 30
RT Ponting (AUS) 2004-2010 77 48 16 0 13 3.00 62.33 20.77
SR Waugh (AUS) 1999-2004 57 41 9 0 7 4.55 71.92 15.78
Old 19th January 2021, 10:58   #12883
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

A win for India looks remote, though it would a great result if we can survive and save the test.

Right now it's a good contest and I feel the Aussies are a bit jittery with some fear in their minds, the field placement is quite defensive at the moment.

Pant seems to be ready to take chances, hope it doesn't end in disaster.

Even if we lose this game, we can be proud that a seemingly second string team has played so well. I think it's the underdog situation at it's best. The players on the fringe, sidelined by the stars and superstars (who can usually take their place in the team for granted) have grabbed the chance they got and played amazingly well wanting to prove themselves

Last edited by NPV : 19th January 2021 at 10:59.
Old 19th January 2021, 11:08   #12884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Coming back to the topic of our own captain Kohli, IMO, he is a very uninspiring leader but a great batsman.
Finally, I have someone who shares my opinion about Capt. Kohli.
I always thought so, since day one. The stats may show him to be a successful India captain, but I feel it's more about the stronger team contributing to his success, rather than the other way round.
Old 19th January 2021, 11:16   #12885
Senior - BHPian

India just may be waiting to capitalize on the hard new ball. Nathan Lyon will potentially be out of the attack for a few overs once when the pacers attack.

Quote:
Should go for a win from here, even if we lose, so be it.
Yeah, no point playing it out from now. Nobody can point fingers at the team even if they get bowled out for 280 odd. I hope they can chase down the target. It'll be a historical series if India can win.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks