Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2008, 17:35   #2446
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
What if the players get injured during the warm up games? Then people will again blame it on the schedule. In times where almost all players are playing excessive cricket I don't think many players would welcome this.
In the olden days when England and Australia toured for the Ashes series they used to play *several* games before the first test. In think the tour would go on for months and by the time it is over, almost every state-level team would get to play with the visitors.

In modern times, the international schedule is too tight and the players do not want to go on long tours due to various commitments. The senior players would be reluctant to be away from their families for months and also as you say, the injury factor is ever-present. What I said was valid from purely cricketing considerations. I think the younger players would still welcome one or two extra matches to get used to the conditions, especially in Australia and South Africa, where the pitches are fast, hard and afford plenty of lateral movement and bounce.
Old 4th January 2008, 17:46   #2447
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
In the olden days when England and Australia toured for the Ashes series they used to play *several* games before the first test. In think the tour would go on for months and by the time it is over, almost every state-level team would get to play with the visitors.
All one has to do is keep a tab on the number of ODIs and tests they used to play in the OLDEN DAYS compared to today. Therein, is your answer why a team is not willing to play a lot of practice matches.
Old 4th January 2008, 18:04   #2448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Sachin should have taken it upon himself atleast after RP Singh departed. I am not able to pin point what was going on is his mind except that he wanted to come out, not out. Sucks!
It was a masterpiece. Simple.

The tail was playing medium pacers well. I dont think it is bad showing faith in the lower order bats. Waugh used to do it. He too was selfish bog was he?

The field was well spread out for Tendulkar and when the fielders were coming in for the tail they were able to make runs (some handy runs at that - I was pleasantly surprised by the Indian tail today).
Old 4th January 2008, 18:18   #2449
BANNED

Thanks guys, ithought no one will get the point.

Yes i have seen lot of people pass such remarks about some truly great sportsperson's around the world.

Its a passion man, you have to see it in his eyes when he talks cricket. No one at that level can equal his dedication to the game. When crams set in due to dehydration forget about running you wont even stand. What ever he has earned he has earned purely due to this passion. He has made enough for him to last 7 lifetime's but keeps coming back just because of his love and dedication to his country.

Hats Off Mr Tendulkar, you are one of a kind.

Please guys if possible refrain from commenting on his dedication to the sport or to his country. I know every one has an opinion and we are free to comment because we are the one's who made him what he is. But remember and i am telling you with all honesty when he walks out to bat he knows he is carrying the hopes of millions like us who love this game and tries his best to perform. No amount of money and fame can make you a Sachin Tendulkar, its all him and we should acknowledge him for that.
Old 4th January 2008, 18:32   #2450
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
All one has to do is keep a tab on the number of ODIs and tests they used to play in the OLDEN DAYS compared to today. Therein, is your answer why a team is not willing to play a lot of practice matches.
Of course. That is what I meant by "tight international schedule". And why is the international schedule so tight, meaning why are there so many Test and one-day internationals being played today (with many substandard teams being given international status)? Money, money and more money. The ICC wants to be rich, the various cricket boards want to be rich and of course the players themselves want to be rich.

In contrast, who will come to see a state-level game, even if an international touring team is playing? Not too many. So when I say that at least 3 state-level games should be played by a touring team before the first Test match, the 3 state cricket associations will not be too keen because nobody will come to see that match, it will not be televised, etc. So essentially these matches will be a loss for them and probably the national cricket board has to fork out the money.

But from a purely cricketing point of view these matches would serve two important purposes. The visiting team will get valuable match practice and get used to the local conditions. Secondly the local teams will get valuable match time against a national-level team. Just think how important this opportunity would be for a young and budding local player. Sad that all this is now a casualty of the need to mint money, money and more money.
Old 4th January 2008, 18:57   #2451
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post
Agreed.

Quote:
The tail was playing medium pacers well. I dont think it is bad showing faith in the lower order bats. Waugh used to do it. He too was selfish bog was he?
Steve waugh is just one example and our tailenders at most times just cave in or give it away, you just cant rely on them for anything compared to say a shane warne or a brett lee.

Quote:
The field was well spread out for Tendulkar and when the fielders were coming in for the tail they were able to make runs (some handy runs at that - I was pleasantly surprised by the Indian tail today).
Could you have guessed it, that our tailenders would play this well? So how did tendulkar came to his decision of giving strike to the tailenders. Heck I remember, he gave Ishaan Sharma a whole over to face from johnson, immediately after he came to the crease and was beaten fair and square by another australian bowler in the previous over. (I dont remember the name)
Old 4th January 2008, 19:33   #2452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Uhh showing more faith in a person who's previous highest score in first class cricket was all of 8 runs than in your abilities to smash the bowling is not a "masterpiece" - Ishant Sharma's innings was a freak event, and every day is not a sunday.
Old 4th January 2008, 19:46   #2453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
But remember and i am telling you with all honesty when he walks out to bat he knows he is carrying the hopes of millions like us who love this game and tries his best to perform. No amount of money and fame can make you a Sachin Tendulkar, its all him and we should acknowledge him for that.
Not everyone agrees with these cliched reports and opinions planted repeatedly in the press.
Old 4th January 2008, 20:02   #2454
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Not everyone agrees with these cliched reports and opinions planted repeatedly in the press.
Yes i agree and sadly thats the problem. Also Sonia Gandhi is being called one of the strongest woman in the world.Cliched?? You tell me?? Bad example but i hope you get it.

I got to play with this guy. He is genuine. To heck with the media and self proclaimed experts.
Old 5th January 2008, 12:31   #2455
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Thanks guys, ithought no one will get the point.

Yes i have seen lot of people pass such remarks about some truly great sportsperson's around the world.

Its a passion man, you have to see it in his eyes when he talks cricket. No one at that level can equal his dedication to the game.
I see that Tendulkar is almost God-like to you and I respect your feelings. But to others he may be just human. No one doubts that Tendulkar is one of the game's greats. But there are incidents in the past as well that will raise eyebrows regarding his attitude.

When he got 243 n.o. in Sydney he scored at just about 3 runs per over or less. India were needing quick runs towards the end of that innings, but Sachin just carried on playing the same way. When Ganguly (the skipper) came in to bat, he looked absolutely furious and got out throwing his bat at every ball. There were rumours that Sachin simply ignored the skipper's instructions to speed up the scoring rate so that India could declare.

And do you remember how Rahul Dravid (the skipper at that time) declared with Sachin nearing a double century (or was it just a century)? What was revealing was Sachin's comment -- that he was "hurt" because of the declaration and that everybody values a (double) hundred. Not a single word about the team's cause. And why did Dravid declare? Because again, Sachin wouldn't make effort to speed up the scoring when the team needed it.

In the present test match at Sydney, the excuse that fielders were set deep is a very lame one. A man who has nearly 150 runs on the board and who has the class of Tendulkar can put the ball into the gaps and run two comfortably, if not get boundaries. And Sachin played out a maiden over from Hogg before Sharma got out in the next over from Lee. With the field set deep and the man already 150+ and with only one wicket to go, what is the excuse for playing out a maiden? Do you think that can happen in a one-day game? If not then it shouldn't have happened at that stage of the Test match either.

Anyway, as I said, let us not be harsh on Sachin. After all, he was at his brilliant best and gave India a chance to win this match, when they could easily have lost it (they still can, if they collapse in the fourth innings). I think the reason he is now playing like the old times is that maybe he is now more physically fit. Earlier he was laid low by back and shoulder injuries and gave up bowling and fielding in the slips (where you have to bend). Now his slip fielding is also very good.

Last edited by rks : 5th January 2008 at 12:35.
Old 5th January 2008, 12:40   #2456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I see that Tendulkar is almost God-like to you and I respect your feelings. But to others he may be just human. No one doubts that Tendulkar is one of the game's greats. But there are incidents in the past as well that will raise eyebrows regarding his attitude.

When he got 243 n.o. in Sydney he scored at just about 3 runs per over or less. India were needing quick runs towards the end of that innings, but Sachin just carried on playing the same way. When Ganguly (the skipper) came in to bat, he looked absolutely furious and got out throwing his bat at every ball. There were rumours that Sachin simply ignored the skipper's instructions to speed up the scoring rate so that India could declare.

And do you remember how Rahul Dravid (the skipper at that time) declared with Sachin nearing a double century? What was revealing was Sachin's comment -- that he was "hurt" because of the declaration and that everybody values a double hundred. Not a single word about the team's cause. And why did Dravid declare? Because again, Sachin wouldn't make effort to speed up the scoring when the team needed it.
Just two instances.

Quote:
In the present test match at Sydney, the excuse that fielders were set deep is a very lame one. A man who has nearly 150 runs on the board and who has the class of Tendulkar can put the ball into the gaps and run two comfortably, if not get boundaries. And Sachin played out a maiden over from Hogg before Sharma got out in the next over from Lee. With the field set deep and the man already 150+ and with only one wicket to go, what is the excuse for playing out a maiden? Do you think that can happen in a one-day game? If not then it shouldn't have happened at that stage of the Test match either.
Can you believe it - the man came to the post-match press conference with his bat, obviously to emphasise the point that he was not out at the end of the day. And it wasnt like he just walked in from the batting crease - Australia had batted solidly for about 13 overs so he had no reason to carry his bat into the conf. That should tell you why he let Sharma do the batting.

Andrew Symonds was not out at the end of the first day - he didnt come to the press conf holding a bat like a little boy. Nor did VVS on Day 2 (okay he was out at the end of the day, but what an entertaining century that was).

Given Sachin's credentials it is doubtful that he would have scored so many runs if VVS and Rahul Dravid hadnt done the hard work ahead of him. Yes it is harsh, but the truth often is.

Last edited by Steeroid : 5th January 2008 at 12:41.
Old 5th January 2008, 13:30   #2457
BHPian

Look at the way Sachin trusted Harbhajan, during their record partnership. It was a lesson on how to bat with the tailenders. (Unfortunately there aren't many in this Indian team, save VVS Laxman, who are adept in that department). Even after Bhajji's dismissal, he carried in the same vein. We can debate on how different he could have been, but the fact of the matter is that it was mighty effective in the end.

Quote:
Can you believe it - the man came to the post-match press conference with his bat, obviously to emphasise the point that he was not out at the end of the day. And it wasnt like he just walked in from the batting crease - Australia had batted solidly for about 13 overs so he had no reason to carry his bat into the conf. That should tell you why he let Sharma do the batting.

Andrew Symonds was not out at the end of the first day - he didnt come to the press conf holding a bat like a little boy. Nor did VVS on Day 2 (okay he was out at the end of the day, but what an entertaining century that was).
IMO, that is reading too much between the lines. Correct me, but he could well be making a statement to the effect that SCG is his favoruite, when it comes to batting. His record proves that. It is totally irrelevant whether Roy comes to press conference after his equally good century, with his bat in tow or not.

Quote:
Given Sachin's credentials it is doubtful that he would have scored so many runs if VVS and Rahul Dravid hadnt done the hard work ahead of him. Yes it is harsh, but the truth often is.
Nobody is doubting that. So where is the question of truth, harsh or otherwise? While there are many fans who are eager to confer godly status to Sachin at the drop of hat, you appear to be on the other side of that spectrum. It seems like you are looking for every conceivable stick to beat him with!

I have been a vocal critic of Sachin's changed batting style, since his Sydney double ton, four years ago. But yesterday's innings was simply amazing. Atleast I had no complaints on the manner of his batting.

As for the match, I believe Ponting would be less adventorous in setting a target, esp after Sachin's and VVS' batting display in the first innings. My estimate would be 300+ runs in 60 odd overs.

What say?
Old 5th January 2008, 13:46   #2458
Senior - BHPian

Anyways, this match is headed for a draw however fiercly the two teams fight it out. Moreover, the rain god is also playing a spoil sport to this.
Old 5th January 2008, 14:11   #2459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaAT View Post
While there are many fans who are eager to confer godly status to Sachin at the drop of hat, you appear to be on the other side of that spectrum. It seems like you are looking for every conceivable stick to beat him with!
I wont deny that! Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. If the "action" is disproportionate, there is no reason for the reaction to be otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaAT View Post
As for the match, I believe Ponting would be less adventorous in setting a target, esp after Sachin's and VVS' batting display in the first innings. My estimate would be 300+ runs in 60 odd overs.

What say?
I agree - its going to be 300 in 60-80 overs. I hope our team surprises us by having a go at it. It is a much better option to go down after taking the fight to the enemy than to walk away from the fight.
Old 5th January 2008, 15:06   #2460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I agree - its going to be 300 in 60-80 overs. I hope our team surprises us by having a go at it. It is a much better option to go down after taking the fight to the enemy than to walk away from the fight.
Do you still hope that there will a result in this test match? Match is going to be a draw.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks