Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2008, 11:55   #2401
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Oops we did it again - allowed Symmo and Hogg (of all people) to run away to a 100 partnership (20 overs that too)
Symonds was clearly out caught behind when the score was ~170-6. It was a *big* outside edge taken by Dhoni off Ishant Sharma. The good old friend of the Australians, Steve Bucknor gave it not-out. Wasim Akram: That was obviously out, everybody knew it, I don't know what is wrong with Steve Bucknor.

To be fair, it appears Ponting was not out but given LBW by the other umpire. But I have a doubt that Steve Bucknor favours the Aussies at crucial moments. In the famous series when India held Australia 1-1, Bucknor gave a number of decisions favouring Australian batsmen and also some suspect decisions against ours (Sachin in particular). I believe India launched a complaint against the man at that time. Why does he follow the Aussies around all the time?

Now the writing is on the wall for India. This pitch has some grass on it apparently and is quick and bouncy. Harbhajan also got some turn and bounce on it. Our batsmen will be severely tested.
Old 2nd January 2008, 12:05   #2402
BHPian

I think we ought to give credit to Symmonds and Hogg for a superb fightback. Forget India, how many teams are capable of a similar fightback?

Umpires do make mistakes and more often than not, it evens out over a period of time.

FYI, it was the same Steven Bucknor, who turned down a plumb lbw appeal against the last man Sreesanth in the first test at Lords few months ago. Sree survived for few minutes more, for rain to save India from what could have been a certain, certain defeat.

Read Will history repeat?
Old 2nd January 2008, 12:05   #2403
Senior - BHPian

The writing is on the wall. We ought to lose this match also with the kind of display our players are givng and the umpire's support to Aussies.
Old 2nd January 2008, 13:20   #2404
BHPian

One can forget Bucknor's mistake butwhat about third umpire's NOT OUT to the stumping done by Dhoni!
It is unpardonable!
Old 2nd January 2008, 16:24   #2405
Senior - BHPian

Well seems like bucknor is at it again.
What i feel is this test is headed to the same result unless the batting lineup holds through. So the only thing which i feel which india can do is to start doing what aussies do the best. Negative bowling. Make the batsmen reach for the ball...ATleast it will waste time and also will reduce the amount of runs scored in a day. We can have 2 bowlers to get it done. One tries to take the wicket and the other bowls well away from it. I remember shane warne doing it against india and i feel we are experts in doing it when not required.
Old 2nd January 2008, 17:53   #2406
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
One can forget Bucknor's mistake butwhat about third umpire's NOT OUT to the stumping done by Dhoni!
It is unpardonable!
Here is the BBC report on the umpiring:

BBC SPORT | Cricket | Symonds leads Australia recovery

Quote:
But India will feel they had some harsh treatment from the umpires.
Symonds was on 30 when he got an outside edge off Ishant Sharma, the ball taking a visible and audible deflection on its way to wicket-keeper Mahendra Dhoni.

"I was very lucky... That's cricket though. I can sit here and tell you about my bad decisions as well, but I won't" (Andrew Symonds)

The Indians appealed confidently, but the veteran West Indian umpire Steve Bucknor inexplicably denied the appeal, although the bat was some distance away from Symonds' body.

The third umpire, Australian Bruce Oxenford, also left India cursing their luck when a stumping appeal was rejected off Anil Kumble with Symonds on 48. It was a marginal shout, but another umpire might have ruled against the batsman.

[...]

But Harbhajan Singh, whose record against Ponting is a good one, trapped the Australian skipper lbw.
He won a fortuitous decision off English umpire Mark Benson as the batsman had edged the ball before it hit his pads.

That said, Ponting had survived a confident appeal for caught behind off Sourav Ganguly on 17 then a missed stumping chance from Harbhajan on 31 before his luck deserted him.

606: DEBATE

When will the ICC finally allow technology to take more of a say in umpiring decisions
The above-mentioned debate on the use of technology is a very relevant one. Only ICC knows why it is dragging its feet when such outstanding technology is already available.
Old 3rd January 2008, 11:40   #2407
rks
BANNED

Fine batting by Laxman, who gets a century in very good time. Good partnership with Dravid. Now they need to step up the scoring rate a little and move India to a sizeable first innings lead to put pressure on the Aussies in the second innings. Hope Sachin, Yuvraj and Ganguly follow Laxman's lead and bat aggressively. Dravid will be Dravid, and it is OK for him to continue in the same manner at one end.

But the loss of Zaheer Khan, out for the series with injury, will hurt India severely. He is easily India's best bowler. If the pitch offers some help to the spinners on the 4th/5th days, India can hopefully snatch the initiative from the Aussies.

Last edited by rks : 3rd January 2008 at 11:46.
Old 3rd January 2008, 11:53   #2408
Senior - BHPian

As we say that, Dravid is gone. Excellent batting by Lakshman. It was great to watch him play his strokes.
Old 3rd January 2008, 11:57   #2409
Senior - BHPian

VVS gone too now. Chalo bhai - 50 and 100 hogaya. Time to rest.
Old 3rd January 2008, 13:59   #2410
Senior - BHPian

216/3 not bad total. Loved the way dravid played
Old 3rd January 2008, 14:01   #2411
Senior - BHPian

ya Dravid was at his usual best.

but i'm sure they wont throw him out untill kumple is captain.

and look at the way Dadda batted in last few overs
Old 3rd January 2008, 15:57   #2412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
and look at the way Dadda batted in last few overs
Sorry sunny - that cannot be true. He doesnt have the technique for it. Or the temperament, or the commitment or the drive.

Anything you saw was unreal and is an illusion or was facilitated by politicians or bookies.
Old 3rd January 2008, 16:19   #2413
Senior - BHPian

Dravid and VVS have stood out there and done their bit. One was hitting the b**l nicely the other was giving him support. Have to congratulate both of them for their display of batting..Let's see what Sachin and Dada will offer Indian team t'mrow.
Old 3rd January 2008, 16:27   #2414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Anything you saw was unreal and is an illusion or was facilitated by politicians or bookies.

this sydney pitch is not tough and any gud batsman should be able to make some runs unless they throw their wicket so thats why i was disappointed at how Dravid played(everybody knows he was struggling)

anyways lets wait for tomorrow morning
Old 3rd January 2008, 16:51   #2415
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Sorry sunny - that cannot be true. He doesnt have the technique for it. Or the temperament, or the commitment or the drive.

From BBC Sport:

BBC SPORT | Cricket | Laxman century gives India hope

Quote:
Ganguly was dropped on six as he edged Hogg's flipper towards slip, where Matthew Hayden did not stay down long enough to give himself an opportunity of accepting the chance.
He was also uncomfortable against Brett Lee, hooking one bouncer off the top edge in the air towards fine leg and ducking awkwardly to another. But to his credit, the man does have guts and temperament and is not afraid to play his shots, even if technically not as sound as Tendulkar, Laxman and Dravid. I believe even Laxman was a bit lucky to survive an LBW appeal against Lee early on (as per cricinfo), but India deserve this luck after yesterday.

India could take charge tomorrow or give it away. At least two of the remaining batsmen need to get big socres. Thirties and forties will not be good enough. This pitch at Sydney reportedly had more grass than the one at MCG (as per the commentators). but traditionally the MCG pitch is supposed to be the faster one and the Sydney pitch more in favour of spinners as the match progresses.

Last edited by rks : 3rd January 2008 at 16:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks