Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2013, 13:35   #166
BHPian

Re: Nationwide UID - will it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Also, initially I thought that I had an old acrobat reader and installed the version 9.
Tried today with my PC in home and I am able to validate. I saved and copied this validated PDF to office laptop. When opened from laptop, it again shows not valid.

I even tried to validate the newly downloaded PDF from office laptop, but it still does not go through.

The office laptop has Adobe 9.
Old 10th July 2013, 13:38   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
The office laptop has Adobe 9.
Me on Adobe 8 able to validate the signature. Probably the procedure adopted for validation might have to be revisited.
Old 10th July 2013, 13:50   #168
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

All perfectly reasonable. However, the bottom-line for me is that they got it right and it was a painless experience overall. Hence I want to appreciate them and I shall do so regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Some times, accidents happen.

Nobody deserves appreciation unless they get it right consistently. If we get things right once in a while, do our customers give us a big pat in the back? No, they will kick us out of the door if we get it wrong more than once.

A well designed and implemented software should work all the time, except for rare glitches that are bound to happen in any system. In my experience, all Indian government web applications are badly designed, incompetently implemented and hardly maintained. Since government entities are never accountable, nobody pays for such incompetence other than citizens.
Old 10th July 2013, 15:09   #169
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I had registered with NPR on 17.12.2012. Even today, UIDAI website shows that my Aadhar number has not been generated. My wife and child who registered with NPR on the same day as me got their Aadhar cards back in March.
NPR and UIDAI are separate entities so you will have to check with the NPR. UIDAI will not have your data.
Old 10th July 2013, 22:32   #170
J.Ravi

Just a few minutes back, I successfully downloaded e-aadhaar cards/letters of me and my wife's in pdf and saved them. I am yet to get those cards in hard copies. I could download the pdf only in Mozilla Firefox. Earlier, I tried in vain with Google Chrome and IE.

Our enrolment was done in Bangalore on 30 May 2013 in BBMP ward office near our home. I went there in the morning, collected 2 sets of forms, visited in the afternoon with wife with our original passports only, got the forms verified and initialled by BBMP official [5 minutes] and got photographed in the webcam, biometrics registered and checked the details entered by the operator and watched on the screen displaying 'uploaded successfully', all completed in 15 minutes. After 3 weeks, I checked Aadhaar status online and came to know our Aadhaar numbers.

Well-done, Government of India.

Old 10th July 2013, 23:10   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
8 of my extended family enrolled in June-July 2011. Nobody has recieved the Aadhar either in its e or paper form.
I have tried all forms of enquiry- phone, email, PG portal, mails to Mr.Nilekani and other officials whose email ids I could get and Mr Montek Ahluwalia too!.
Absolutely no response!
Well, I seem to be a lucky guy. As mentioned in my earlier post, I lodged a complaint yesterday morning around 9:30am at the UIDAI website. Before 3pm, I got an SMS saying that my Aadhar has been generated . That was a much quicker response than I had anticipated.

Today I could download the eAadhar document as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
NPR and UIDAI are separate entities so you will have to check with the NPR. UIDAI will not have your data.
The people who collected the details mentioned to us that it was part of NPR process. And although the receipt I got says "NPR process", the website details given in it are UIDAI sites. Today I downloaded my eAadhar from UIDAI website. So I guess these are connected at some level.

Last edited by StarrySky : 10th July 2013 at 23:11.
Old 10th July 2013, 23:21   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Well, I seem to be a lucky guy. As mentioned in my earlier post, I lodged a complaint yesterday morning around 9:30am at the UIDAI website. Before 3pm, I got an SMS saying that my Aadhar has been generated . That was a much quicker response than I had anticipated.

Today I could download the eAadhar document as well.
Congratulations ! You are indeed a lucky man.I am still waiting for my
"number"
Old 11th July 2013, 08:40   #173
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Quote:
The people who collected the details mentioned to us that it was part of NPR process. And although the receipt I got says "NPR process", the website details given in it are UIDAI sites. Today I downloaded my eAadhar from UIDAI website. So I guess these are connected at some level.
Field #2 of the UIDAI AAdhaar enrollment form asks for NPR Receipt #/TIN so I think they can/are linked.
Also came across this regarding applying for Aadhaar under NPR.
Old 16th July 2013, 19:47   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Field #2 of the UIDAI AAdhaar enrollment form asks for NPR Receipt #/TIN so I think they can/are linked.
Also came across this regarding applying for Aadhaar under NPR.
Yes I can confirm that. I was fully against aadhar data being collected with no data protection laws with the help of 2 american companies for database management. I was always paranoid about privacy. I always suspected something like PRISM working in the background. I still believe facebook to be a piece meal from an intelligence network. I never had a face book account. They saved billions of dollars if not trillions, in data mining efforts just by that site. Ok, then in India, came NPR, all the privacy wishes granted by NPR and I enrolled. The promises included data to be held in govt servers, access limitations and what not. Just a few moments ago I downloaded my "aadhar letter", which I never applied for, from uidai website. The digitial signature the said govt identification document was created by a person using his GMAIL account !!!!!. Could we not even use a nic id for the damn thing? I feel cheated now

Last edited by 999 : 16th July 2013 at 19:51.
Old 28th July 2013, 09:10   #175
BHPian

Not sure if this pre-enroll link was already shared here, just came across this:

Pretty easy form to fill and an email is sent for verification as well.

http://wenrol.uidai.gov.in/index.php

now need to visit the center for biometrics...
Old 28th July 2013, 09:22   #176
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
Yes I can confirm that. I was fully against aadhar data being collected with no data protection laws with the help of 2 american companies for database management. I was always paranoid about privacy. I always suspected something like PRISM working in the background. I still believe facebook to be a piece meal from an intelligence network. I never had a face book account. They saved billions of dollars if not trillions, in data mining efforts just by that site. Ok, then in India, came NPR, all the privacy wishes granted by NPR and I enrolled. The promises included data to be held in govt servers, access limitations and what not. Just a few moments ago I downloaded my "aadhar letter", which I never applied for, from uidai website. The digitial signature the said govt identification document was created by a person using his GMAIL account !!!!!. Could we not even use a nic id for the damn thing? I feel cheated now
I am confused here. You say you are paranoid about privacy - then you seem to indicate that you are OK with your data to be with the Govt. I am paranoid about privacy - I haven't applied for an Aaadhar card and I won't until it becomes absolutely necessary. I don't have a Facebook account either.

However, my primary concern is privacy from the Govt. My secondary concern is privacy from FB, Google etc. I don't understand what kind of privacy you are looking for.

And in PRISM, the issue is that the Govt gets the data from FB, Google etc. But if you are OK with data collection by the Govt (through Aadhar data held in Govt servers), I don't what your concern with PRISM is?
Old 30th July 2013, 00:13   #177
Senior - BHPian

It has been over a month since I and my wife stood in a long queue for over 4 hours to get ourselves enrolled for an aadhar card and everytime I check the website for the status, it says, "your EID is not not yet available with us, please checkback after few days". Comeon, give a date by when these would be available and that would ease some tension. More than anything, I dread the thought of having to go through the whole process all over again. Ridiculous to say anything. Most if not all the citizens have PAN card, why couldn't they just make that mandatory like Aadhar?
Old 30th July 2013, 10:10   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I am confused here. You say you are paranoid about privacy - then you seem to indicate that you are OK with your data to be with the Govt. I am paranoid about privacy - I haven't applied for an Aaadhar card and I won't until it becomes absolutely necessary. I don't have a Facebook account either.

However, my primary concern is privacy from the Govt. My secondary concern is privacy from FB, Google etc. I don't understand what kind of privacy you are looking for.

And in PRISM, the issue is that the Govt gets the data from FB, Google etc. But if you are OK with data collection by the Govt (through Aadhar data held in Govt servers), I don't what your concern with PRISM is?
Hi Carboy,
I am happy that I am not alone at least.
In most simple terms, choosing a better devil (rather, incapable devil). PRISM is blanket access to all data.
Govt can track me even if I don't wish with the enormous infrastructure and administrative power in place. They can even track my phone records/bank accounts etc. There is no way you can hide from them, but I can minimize the exposure by trying not to raise flags (as you may already know, flags are the markers that lead to more detailed scrutiny). In this way it can be similar to PRISM. The only positive thing about our government is that it does not still have the proficiency/ability to coordinate different departments and execute it on a massive scale unless I am flagged critical/dangerous/suspicious/target for some other reason.
In case of aadhar, the servers are not even stopping at the political boundaries of India, but access may extend further overseas need the case be, thanks to the database managers (long term access). I think it is much easier to connect into a server with unofficial background access, unrestricted over a longer period than hack into one long term. It is not that easy, especially if it is within the government security backbone.
Though we have no data privacy laws in place, Govt is restrictive when somebody wants to access my data within the frame work if it is with the government. There are no such rules when a 3rd party is involved.
My NID have no information regarding my email/bank accounts/mobile numbers etc. They were optional so I chose not to give it to them.
PRISM was totally on a different level. Our government does not have the capability to even decrypt a 256 byte encryption code (BB issues). It will be a long fought affair to get access to servers located overseas for Indian intelligence use. We had a hard time to get google mask important land marks in google maps, like military bases and nuclear power plants.
PRISM was mush more advanced and they can easily decrypt encryption. They have blanket access to all. If I was an american citizen, then I would have had no privacy at all.May be NSA could sent me a anniversary reminder or child panning advice !!! All the servers managers are forced to grant NSA access even if the owner of the information is not in US. This was primarily due to the reason that they are operating out of US. Compare this to a server in India, it is more difficult to get that sort of unrestricted, legitimate by law access. Needless to say, they are much more intrusive and efficient.
Hope I am explaining
I had to apply for NPR because, the gas connection needs one if I am to get subsidy now on, else I will have to pay the full price.

Last edited by 999 : 30th July 2013 at 10:12.
Old 30th July 2013, 10:42   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Our government does not have the capability to even decrypt a 256 byte encryption code (BB issues).

PRISM was mush more advanced and they can easily decrypt encryption. They have blanket access to all.
It is 256-bit. For symmetric encryption, 256-bit is a real tough nut to crack. Quoting directly from Wikipedia:

"50 supercomputers that could check a billion billion (10^18) AES keys per second (if such a device could ever be made) would, in theory, require about 3×10^51 years to exhaust the 256-bit key space."

There are a number of conspiracy theories that claim the NSA has backdoor access to AES that allows them to break it. No evidence of this has ever been presented though (AES is an open algorithm and has Belgian roots).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance...ption_Standard

PRISM is not about decrypting encrypted traffic. The encryption - the common variety that you or me encounter daily by means of "lock icon" and the like - encrypts data in transport, not in storage. This storage could be at either end - your computer, or at the service provider's. PRISM was about illegal access to the stored version at the service provider's end.

To encrypt data in storage, you need specialized tools - I personally prefer TrueCrypt (www.truecrypt.org).

(Note that PRISM has other aspects as well - for example, if you store data encrypted then you get flagged as a kind of suspicious character and so on).

The Blackberry issue is that the device encrypts BBM messages in transport between handsets. So the unencrypted version is available only at the source and destination handsets - even RIM cannot see it decrypted. This is still not resolved, if I remember correctly (the GoI and RIM have reached an agreement about emails sent via BB, not about BBM).

Quote:
I had to apply for NPR because, the gas connection needs one if I am to get subsidy now on, else I will have to pay the full price.
I have currently decided to forgo the LPG subsidy (when they make it direct cash transfer for Bangalore folks). It works out to about Rs. 500 a month, which I can easily afford.
Old 30th July 2013, 10:47   #180
mxx
BHPian

Why this privacy concern? Unless you are living under a rock, government already has your data from various sources- PAN, passport, ration card, driving license, census data. So, why scared about privacy when talking about aadhar or NPR?

Can anyone provide info on how to change address for adhaar? I know that it is possible via the portal, but the mobile number provided at registration has changed, so it is not possible to login to the portal

Last edited by mxx : 30th July 2013 at 10:50.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks