Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2022, 13:27   #5896
BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
To all SBI Cashback card holders, are you able to understand the cashback accumulated / given? Unlike HDFC, where the points earned are mentioned next to each transaction, the SBI statement does not show whether a transaction qualified for 5% or 1%. The first statement just carried a consolidated number as cashback.
One more point to consider, 5% cash back calculation is not straight forward. The spent amount is calculated for 4% cashback first and then 1% cashback. Finally both are added.
Let me take one example to explain this:
Spent amount = 670
5% cashback on 670 = 33
4% cashback on 670 = 26
1% cashback on 670 = 6
So, instead of 33, we will get 32 (26+6).
I know this is not a significant difference, but I still thought to sharing this info here.
kavensri is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 14:00   #5897
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Unlike HDFC, where the points earned are mentioned next to each transaction,
I dont think HDFC card statements has this kind of break-up. At least not on the co-branded credit cards.
Old 21st October 2022, 14:28   #5898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I dont think HDFC card statements has this kind of break-up. At least not on the co-branded credit cards.
HDFC gives this type of break up for regular reward points from Regalia onwards against each transaction.
Old 21st October 2022, 14:36   #5899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
...If I am unable to hit Rs 20000 limit even with Rs 4000 Paytm load, then I purchase a Amazon GC for remaining amount using Amex MRCC. This amazon GC balance gets used up for Subscribe & Save.
Another alternative that Tejas had recommended - if you are a NPS subscriber is to contribute to NPS (now only tier 1 is allowed), this again comes with 1.5% charges.
If you take this approach, you could buy a gift voucher for amazon using your infinia card. Overall you'll probably gain more points.
whitewing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 15:19   #5900
Senior - BHPian

I recently used the dispute feature on my HDFC Regalia credit card and had a very good experience.

I made a purchase on this site www.insaraf.com (STAY AWAY!) for a furniture item and paid via credit card. Long story short, the vendor didn't ship the item, wasn't responding to emails regarding cancellation and hence I raised a dispute with HDFC.

I had to fill up a form and submit evidence regarding my claim which was accepted and a provisional credit has already been made to my account (in ~ 2 weeks!) I think the vendor got the info from their bank on the dispute and this rogue website finally sent me a mail confirming cancellation too.
fiat_tarun is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 15:35   #5901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I am using DB CC and I do see breakup of reward points against each transaction in the monthly statement.
Old 21st October 2022, 22:16   #5902
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
While on the topic fuel spends and surcharges, can anyone confirm if the fuel spends are counted under annual spends? I know they don't accrue reward points but if they are counted under annual spends then it might help to reach the threshold faster to get the annual fee waiver.
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Till now, I was using Amex MRCC to purchase fuel at a nearby IOCL COCO pump. This way I was making 4 transactions of minimum Rs 1500 each (1000 points) and also reaching monthly spend of Rs 20000 (additional 1000 points). I am getting 24000 MR points every year (gold collection GV worth Rs 9000-14000). There is 1.18% additional surcharge including GST.
If there are any Bharat Petroleum pumps near you, you can buy vouchers from the Amex Gyftr portal and redeem them. You get 2x reward points as opposed to 0 for fuel transactions. Just check if your pump accepts these. Below link has a store locator button which shows where these can be used.
https://www.gyftr.com/amexrewardmult...-gift-vouchers
AZT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 00:19   #5903
BHPian

A newbie Credit Card user's question. I have just started using a HDFC Millenia Credit Card and there is a fuel surcharge waiver of 250₹/month or thereabout. How does this work?
Old 22nd October 2022, 01:28   #5904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
A newbie Credit Card user's question. I have just started using a HDFC Millenia Credit Card and there is a fuel surcharge waiver of 250₹/month or thereabout. How does this work?
Everytime you use your credit card for fuel transactions you will be charged a surcharge fee (~2.5%) + service-tax on the surcharge fee (~15%). So basically if you bought fuel for 1000 and used your CC to make the payment then you will see the final amount as 1029 (approx) on the bill. Banks provide waiver of the base surcharge (2.5% part) up-to the specified limit which is 250 in your case. Do note that the waiver is usually not applied on the service-tax that was charged on the surcharge amount. So you end up-paying around 1004 in best case. Different CC provide different amount of waiver like 1% waiver and so on, you have to check the TnC of the card to get the exact waiver amount/percentage.
Funny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 09:41   #5905
BHPian

Is there any credit card that does not apply this surcharge?

At least the co branded ones with companies like HP, BOCL, IOCL? Do those apply the surcharge too?

Edit: I should have made a more well articulated post. What I meant was, we use credit cards for the points or the cashback. But I am not really sure if the benefits cover the surcharge amount.

I have been using SBI cashback card for the last month or so for fuel ups. Since I am noob with credit cards I haven't even bothered to check if there is any actual benefit to using it for refueling.

Last edited by JithinR : 22nd October 2022 at 09:46.
Old 22nd October 2022, 09:48   #5906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Is there any credit card that does not apply this surcharge?

At least the co branded ones with companies like HP, BOCL, IOCL? Do those apply the surcharge too?

Edit: I should have made a more well articulated post. What I meant was, we use credit cards for the points or the cashback. But I am not really sure if the benefits cover the surcharge amount.

I have been using SBI cashback card for the last month or so for fuel ups. Since I am noob with credit cards I haven't even bothered to check if there is any actual benefit to using it for refueling.
Branded ones don't have surcharge - provided the pos machine is of the bank issuing the card. Service charge will be added as usual.
Old 22nd October 2022, 11:12   #5907
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like the only way to save on that 2.5% extra on fuel purchases is to stop using credit cards for this, unless we study which bunk has a PoS machine of the card issuing bank one uses.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 13:26   #5908
BHPian

All I can gather from the information above is that paying for fuel through credit cards doesn't have any advantage apart from the time delay in actually paying the credit card bill. Unless you have a co-branded credit card.
Old 22nd October 2022, 13:54   #5909
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
All I can gather from the information above is that paying for fuel through credit cards doesn't have any advantage apart from the time delay in actually paying the credit card bill. Unless you have a co-branded credit card.
Mostly yes. Cobranded cards with any of the oil companies give significant amount of cash back. Otherwise it is only delayed payment benefit if one finds any
rajeevsulu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 14:02   #5910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quite the opposite really. One needs to first understand the card they hold if that’s suitable for fuel spends or not. All cards are not the same. One can easily get 2% of value back at minimum and 4-5% or more with optimized spending using right card(s).

Also I see 2.5% surcharge being mentioned quite a few times here. It used to be the case few years back, but these days what I see is 1% surcharge being the norm. May be pumps in highways and tier 2/3 cities charge 2.5% but where I fill regularly I only see 1% surcharge if at all.
SilentEngine is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks