Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2022, 22:49   #6016
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzikio_rage View Post
Interesting use, but why SC ultimate for Fuel, almost all cards have the wavier. Have been thinking of getting a dedicated fuel card like Axis or City for the petrol purchases.
Fuel charge waiver is limiting for most cards especially when you are filling a lot of premium petrol. SC Ultimate is one the few cards that give regular reward points even on fuel. 5RP for every ₹150 with 1RP=1₹ across a lot of vouchers.
Old 3rd December 2022, 11:46   #6017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
There goes my regalia

i wonder which card i should shift to

)
You can consider the Axis Magnus or Vistara singature/infinite.
Vistara has a good amount of partner airlines for international travel. Magnus cause if your spending is significant (1 lakh/month or at least 4-5 months/year), its reward rate is very attractive.
Venkygupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 15:59   #6018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti21 View Post
Nope, not at all. It is there. The conversion ration of Traveledge to Vistara points for Magnus/Reserver/Burgundy is 5:4 which means 31000 traveledge points get you 24800 CV points. To get the same points on Vistara Infinite you will have to spend 8.27 lakhs. So on same spend, the points on Magnus are 8.2x of that on Vistara. Granted you miss out on CV Gold and Business Class tickets. But still way more valuable than Vistara Infinite.
Bro how does this conversion happen from the Traveledge points to Vistara points ? Having spend over 9 Lakhs on thr Infinity in the last 6 months, I feel stupid now :/
Old 3rd December 2022, 17:01   #6019
BHPian

I am finally planning to get my first credit card. Was using my debit card so long for last 13+ yrs without any issues. Main agenda for getting a CC is for the cashback + promotion benefits which most CC offers over debit options. My monthly expenses are low, with occasional big purchases from Amazon/Flipkart. So far I narrowed down the 2 cards below keeping in account the cashback and other benefits. Any recommendations which one to choose over the other & why and if there are any better options ?

The Credit Card Thread-hdfc.jpg

The Credit Card Thread-sbi.jpg
Old 3rd December 2022, 17:11   #6020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan_n8 View Post
Bro how does this conversion happen from the Traveledge points to Vistara points ? Having spend over 9 Lakhs on thr Infinity in the last 6 months, I feel stupid now :/
Go to Traveledge portal and when you login, you will see a Point Conversion tab. It is pretty easy and straightforward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzikio_rage View Post
Interesting use, but why SC ultimate for Fuel, almost all cards have the wavier. Have been thinking of getting a dedicated fuel card like Axis or City for the petrol purchases.
You can look at SBI BPCL Octane. It provides 6.25% back on fuel spend of upto 10,000 per month on BPCL outlets. This is excluding the 1% waiver (which is not cashback). Costs is 1800 incl. taxes which gets you 6000 points worth 1500 INR at BPCL. Points can be directly redeemed at BPCL outlets. Just note that 1% waiver is only for transactions within 4000.

So if you spend upto 10,000 per month on fuels, this is a pretty good card.
anti21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 17:26   #6021
BHPian

Does Axis Magnus give rewards for rent payment? If it does, which platform do you guys use? On redgirafe, there are complaints and when I asked their customer support, they said Axis CC does not work and recommended that I use other bank cards.

Thanks!
Old 4th December 2022, 22:51   #6022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
I have been playing the credit card points/ airline miles and hotel loyalty game for over a decade now. I do have quite a few credit cards (most are lifetime free which I rarely use unless there is a specific offer). Among the cards I regularly use are:

HDFC Infinia : For almost everything, especially the points for airline tickets.
Axis Magnus : For multiplier offers and the bonus on 1lac spend.
SC Ultimate : For fuel and wallet loading
Amex plat charge : Mostly international use and targeted offers for Taj Vouchers (I got 40K worth Taj Vouchers with this card this year)
IDFC Wealth : LTF card with a nice app interface. Some targeted offers as well.

All the cards other than the Amex are on the Visa Infinite platform and generous limits. Would love to answer and questions regarding these cards.

Thanks

Attachment 2385653
Make the following changes and see the reward rate shoot up:

- Close Amex Platinum Charge Card & Take Platinum Travel - Rs. 34,000 worth Taj Vouchers @ Rs. 4 Lac Spends annually

- Get Axis Reserve and use it for Forex Transactions - 12 Miles per Rs. 100 Vs 3.75 Miles per Rs. 100 on Platinum Charge Card; 1.5% Forex Mark-up Vs 3.5% on Platinum Charge Card

- Close SCB Ultimate and move Fuel Spends to HP Pay App. Use ICICI Fastag, link Fastag with HP Pay App. ICICI Fastag can be loaded using Amazon Pay Balance. You can buy Amazon Pay vouchers on reward multiplier using Infinia, Magnus & Reserve, thus giving you much more benefit than SCB Ultimate on Fuel.

Last edited by tejas08 : 4th December 2022 at 22:55.
tejas08 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 23:36   #6023
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
Make the following changes and see the reward rate shoot up:

- Close Amex Platinum Charge Card & Take Platinum Travel - Rs. 34,000 worth Taj Vouchers @ Rs. 4 Lac Spends annually

- Get Axis Reserve and use it for Forex Transactions - 12 Miles per Rs. 100 Vs 3.75 Miles per Rs. 100 on Platinum Charge Card; 1.5% Forex Mark-up Vs 3.5% on Platinum Charge Card

- Close SCB Ultimate and move Fuel Spends to HP Pay App. Use ICICI Fastag, link Fastag with HP Pay App. ICICI Fastag can be loaded using Amazon Pay Balance. You can buy Amazon Pay vouchers on reward multiplier using Infinia, Magnus & Reserve, thus giving you much more benefit than SCB Ultimate on Fuel.
Thanks Tejas for the suggestions. I will definitely look into it.

-Amex Plat Charge I am keeping mostly for included hotel status (Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold) and Hertz Gold. I travel a lot and these come in handy often. Apart from the access to Centurion lounges internationally. Even the concierge has helped me with some good deals on stays over the years (FHR/Oberoi).

-Not really sure if I would put in 50k+GST on an Axis Card which can e devalued any time. Even though I use Magnus and Ace from Axis, their customer care and mobile app etc. are not that great.

-I use Indian Oil XP95 a lot and the high octane petrol from HP (Power99) is not available easily.Not sure if HP Pay will work for me. Also I have IOCL bunks, right next to my home and work place so it is convenient. Since SC Ultimate is one of the few cards that give RP's on fuel and I have an LTF card, I prefer not closing that.
robimahanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2022, 00:22   #6024
Senior - BHPian

Seeing the reviews on this thread, decided to join the Axis Magnus bandwagon. Applied online on 1st Dec and the card is in my hand on the 4th. That is some quick service.
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2022, 08:52   #6025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Seeing the reviews on this thread, decided to join the Axis Magnus bandwagon. Applied online on 1st Dec and the card is in my hand on the 4th. That is some quick service.
Is this your first Axis card ? i have one Axis Ace, when i applied for flipkart Axis, i was taken through the process, KYC, physical verification to be dropped at the last stage saying i already had an Axis card.
Old 5th December 2022, 11:20   #6026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgv View Post
Is this your first Axis card ? i have one Axis Ace, when i applied for flipkart Axis, i was taken through the process, KYC, physical verification to be dropped at the last stage saying i already had an Axis card.
Yes, my first Axis card. In fact, my first ever relationship with Axis. The KYC process was over a video call and hardly took 5 min. I still kept on getting messages to complete the KYC even after that was complete and the card landed at home.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 16:07   #6027
BHPian

So I am a bit confused about optimizing my fuel card. I fill Rs. 20,000 worth of petrol each month at HPCL (have a COCO nearby which offers free car-wash on spending Rs.9000), preferably with the HP Pay app. I have an ICICI HPCL Super Saver which maxes out the 5% rewards at Rs. 5000/month. What's the best way to cover the balance Rs. 15000?

I also have the Amex Plat Travel & Reserve and Axis Magnus & Vistara Infinite cards.
Old 6th December 2022, 16:27   #6028
Senior - BHPian

My primary card is HDFC Infinia. However, I am also tempted by the Axis Magnus card like everyone else. Any idea on how long the party will continue on Magnus, before devaluation happens? I don't want to apply for a card which is likely to be get devalued in the immediate future (next few months)
Old 6th December 2022, 19:10   #6029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
So I am a bit confused about optimizing my fuel card. I fill Rs. 20,000 worth of petrol each month at HPCL (have a COCO nearby which offers free car-wash on spending Rs.9000), preferably with the HP Pay app. I have an ICICI HPCL Super Saver which maxes out the 5% rewards at Rs. 5000/month. What's the best way to cover the balance Rs. 15000?

I also have the Amex Plat Travel & Reserve and Axis Magnus & Vistara Infinite cards.
Please check if the Amex Plat Travel/Reserve also give 1000 bonus points each on achieving:
  • 4 transactions of 1500 or more in a calendar month (1000 points)
  • Total spend of more than 20k in a calendar month (1000 points)

If yes, you can use the AmEX cards at HPCL (the only bunk where they reverse surchage) for your ~20k fuel spends. You'll get 2000 points atleast which is a cool 10% return.

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
jsrakkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 19:54   #6030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post

If there is a BPCL outlet nearby (that is reliable), get a BPCL octane card. It provides points upto 10k fuel purchase. There was also a fuel card from HPCL on Amazon (physical card) but I don't know how that works.
NG_EV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed