Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2023, 15:57   #6106
BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I had the AmEx Platinum Reserve that I cancelled last year since it was hardly used (my primary card has been the Infinia). AmEx was keen to waive the annual fee during the Covid years, considering the lack of spending / RBI ban. But now, not so much. If you are keen to retain the card, and not lose points, one way is to ask them to take off the benefits: esp. the lounge access and golf benefits.
It's such a forgettable card.
I primarily used it for spends up-to INR 25000 where one would get a INR 500 GV (Flipkart or BMS) which translated to a measly 2% extra, but it seemed so good when I had Regalia.
The only highlight was the lounge access to Mumbai T2's "Centurion" lounge.

These days, I have kept Amex involvement only to MRCC and SmartEarn. I don't require anything else from Amex (certainly not the hamster wheel of Amex Platinum Travel with Magnus in kitty and certainly not Amex Platinum Charge).
Old 3rd January 2023, 16:02   #6107
BHPian

I have an AMEX Platinum Travel Credit Card and acceptance is at about 97%. However, I use it for my online purchases and always complete the threshold of 4 lacs spend. This gives me 10k worth of Taj Vouchers. Also, 1.9 lacs spend gives 5k worth of Flipkart vouchers. Other benefits are: Superior customer care service, 8 annual lounge visits & exclusive AMEX lounge access.

It costs me 5k per annum and I have no qualms in continuing it.
Old 3rd January 2023, 16:05   #6108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan_n8 View Post
Guys need advice on what is the best card for fueling ? I have a commercial vehicle, spend is about 20k per month on diesel refilling. What's the best way to get max cashback or points. Please note, this is going to be handed over to the driver in a different city so i won't be able to keep possession of the card.
The best bet is something like SBI BPCL Octane which gives approx 7.25% return (check the monthly capping). The challenge is you get points and surcharge waiver only on BPCL outlets.

Second option is to get IOC XtraRewards membership and give IOCL cards from either HDFC or Axis (not very good capping).

Third option is to get Standard Chartered Ultimate credit card which gives 3.3% return on all spends. However, you will have to bear the 1.18% surcharge. So net reward is 2.12% and your driver can fill fuel anywhere.

Bear in mind, you will have to be cautious with any credit card given to drivers. Get a supplementary card and give it to them and lock limits.
turbospooler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 16:46   #6109
Senior - BHPian

Had applied for the HDFC Millenia Card and they are giving me a HDFC Regalia Card as a Lifetime Free Card. Was a little confused and then asked them to proceed with it. I was looking at the Millenia mainly to use for Amazon/Flipkart and other online purchases.

Is Regalia equally effective or better? Looking for some tips on best way to use the card from the Gurus here.
Old 4th January 2023, 11:10   #6110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
I have an AMEX Platinum Travel Credit Card and acceptance is at about 97%. However, I use it for my online purchases and always complete the threshold of 4 lacs spend. This gives me 10k worth of Taj Vouchers. Also, 1.9 lacs spend gives 5k worth of Flipkart vouchers. Other benefits are: Superior customer care service, 8 annual lounge visits & exclusive AMEX lounge access.

It costs me 5k per annum and I have no qualms in continuing it.
Any specific reason to pick-up Flipkart Vouchers instead of Hotel Redemptions?

Those 4 Lacs spends get you 40,000 Bonus Points (Additional 8000 Regular Points if eligible Transactions done) in total which are equal to Rs. 20-24K worth Taj Vouchers or 40-48K Marriott Bonvoy Points which can get you 2-3 nights stay in Marriott Bonvoy Properties in addition to the 10K Taj Vouchers.
tejas08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 12:39   #6111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
Any specific reason to pick-up Flipkart Vouchers instead of Hotel Redemptions?

Those 4 Lacs spends get you 40,000 Bonus Points (Additional 8000 Regular Points if eligible Transactions done) in total which are equal to Rs. 20-24K worth Taj Vouchers or 40-48K Marriott Bonvoy Points which can get you 2-3 nights stay in Marriott Bonvoy Properties in addition to the 10K Taj Vouchers.
Hi Tejas,

Two reasons for picking Flipkart vouchers - one, we prefer staying in AirBnB's and the likes for most vacations. And two, my wife loves searching for exclusive deals on branded stuff on Flipkart. These vouchers help her.

As for the Bonvoy redemption, I had seen it but again, mostly my reward points end up as Amazon or Flipkart vouchers.

Taj vouchers from AMEX have to be used because I cannot convert them into anything else.
Old 4th January 2023, 12:51   #6112
BHPian

I have a relatively big spend coming my way, approximately 3 lacs in 3 months(Hospital Expenses). I have the below mentioned credit cards, I am not sure which one would be the most appropriate to be used in this case. Please pitch in with your thoughts.

1. ICICI Coral
2. ICICI Amazon Pay
3. HDFC Cash Back
4. HSBC Platinum

Thanks,
A
Old 4th January 2023, 13:17   #6113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Had applied for the HDFC Millenia Card and they are giving me a HDFC Regalia Card as a Lifetime Free Card. Was a little confused and then asked them to proceed with it. I was looking at the Millenia mainly to use for Amazon/Flipkart and other online purchases.

Is Regalia equally effective or better? Looking for some tips on best way to use the card from the Gurus here.
Not a guru but trying to help. Regalia is better. However, it also has a higher annual fees and a higher spend amount for waiver.

I maybe wrong but I feel Millenia is almost an equivalent of Regalia First card, also from HDFC. Below table summarizes key aspects (from the bank website)

The Credit Card Thread-compare.jpg
drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 13:40   #6114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys need advice on what is the best card for fueling ? I have a commercial vehicle, spend is about 20k per month on diesel refilling. What's the best way to get max cashback or points. Please note, this is going to be handed over to the driver in a different city so i won't be able to keep possession of the card.
SBI offers a BPCL card (13 reward points/Rs.100, 3.25% value back) and an Octane card (25 reward points/Rs.100, 6.25% back). The returns are good but capped at 1300 points and 2600 points respectively - translating to Rs.325 and Rs.650/month.

The Indian Oil card from Citi (4 reward points/Rs.150, ~2.6% value back) but does not appear to have any such cap. (Please correct me if I am wrong)

For Rs.20,000, the reward points will look like:

SBI BPCL - 1300 points (cap hit) - Rs.325
SBI Octane - 2600 points (cap hit) - Rs.650
Citi Indian Oil - 532 points - Rs.532
ashwin.terminat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 22:58   #6115
BHPian

Anyone who has recently gotten their regalia upgraded to LTF DCB? How did you achieve that?

I am an Imperia customer with a very good spending record on regalia which currently has 6.9L limit, but the upgrade was still rejected saying that I don't meet the salary criteria.
Old 4th January 2023, 23:47   #6116
BHPian

Quote:
Adding a few points to what others have already mentioned about the SBI octane. The fuel surcharge waiver is applicable only for transactions till 4000. I learned it the hard way. I once filled a tankful and the bill came about 4000.52, they didn’t waive the surcharge. Also, the fuel surcharge waiver is capped at INR 100 per month, so essentially if you purchase fuel for more than 10k a month, you will be paying surcharge plus GST also.
Old 6th January 2023, 17:27   #6117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Raven View Post
Adding a few points to what others have already mentioned about the SBI octane. The fuel surcharge waiver is applicable only for transactions till 4000. I learned it the hard way. I once filled a tankful and the bill came about 4000.52, they didn’t waive the surcharge. Also, the fuel surcharge waiver is capped at INR 100 per month, so essentially if you purchase fuel for more than 10k a month, you will be paying surcharge plus GST also.
So then it doesn't make sense. Should I not just use my Vistara Inifinity for these spends then ? And keep the Magnus for personal bigger spends ?
Old 6th January 2023, 20:55   #6118
BHPian

Today I paid my Axis Bank credit card bill through the bank website. I accessed it using my Android phone. It asked for my mobile phone number. I entered it, got OTP on my mobile number, I entered that as well.

The site then fetched the amount to be paid. I confirmed payment channel as online banking using my ICICI Bank account. This is where a very strange thing happened (strange to me). The webpage opened the ICICI bank app installed on my phone. No fingerprint authentication, no user id or password prompt. I confirmed the amount and it asked only for my pin number. Transaction went through in a jiffy.

While it is very fast and convenient, I feel uncomfortable that the website could open my savings bank account application. Can I block such behaviour?
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 22:09   #6119
BHPian

Quote:
I maybe wrong but I feel Millenia is almost an equivalent of Regalia First card, also from HDFC. Below table summarizes key aspects (from the bank website)

Attachment 2399812
Regalia first is above Millennia. Joining fee is higher, accordingly benefits are also better. I could not get airport lounge access at Delhi T1 on the Millennia card, whereas other bank's Visa Signature cards could get me in.
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 14:43   #6120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not a guru but trying to help. Regalia is better. However, it also has a higher annual fees and a higher spend amount for waiver.

Attachment 2399812
Thanks - they are giving the Regalia as a Lifetime Free Card - so annual fee waiver is not of concern.

I did some basic math on what you shared:
For a Rs.1000 Spend:

Millenia Cashback = 1000 x 0.05 = ₹50
Regalia = 1000/150 = 6.66 and 6.66 x 4 RP = 16 RPs.
Cashback at a value of 1 RP = Rs 0.20
So 16 x 0.2 = ₹3.2

In terms of a Direct Cashback it appears a bad deal. But looks like I need to explore more on SmartBuy for other deals. But a little disappointed that they gave me a supposedly higher card as compared to a lower one which looks like would have served me better.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks