Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2021, 10:11   #4606

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Hello Everyone,

I need some inputs on which CC might suit my needs based on your experience.

I would be renting a house for the first time and wood be needing to furnish the entire house with the usual electronic items for household needs as well as the furniture etc.

My plan is to buy as much as possible on credit card using no cost EMI but would pay the entire amount and not just the minimum balance due at the end of each cycle with my savings.

This was I can earn a big chuck of cashback and points to redeem later and improve my credit score rather than buying everything by paying the full amount upfront.

I have been waiting for the RBI to remove the ban on new CC issue on HDFC for quite sometime since I have a salary account there. At this stage I'm running out of time since I need to start by August.

Looking forward for your valuable inputs. TIA
Old 18th July 2021, 03:32   #4607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_VR View Post
Hello Everyone,

I would be renting a house for the first time and wood be needing to furnish the entire house with the usual electronic items for household needs as well as the furniture etc.

My plan is to buy as much as possible on credit card using no cost EMI but would pay the entire amount and not just the minimum balance due at the end of each cycle with my savings.

This was I can earn a big chuck of cashback and points to redeem later and improve my credit score rather than buying everything by paying the full amount upfront.

I have been waiting for the RBI to remove the ban on new CC issue on HDFC for quite sometime since I have a salary account there. At this stage I'm running out of time since I need to start by August.

If you plan to buy most of the things from Amazon, then close your eyes and get Amazon ICICI Bank Credit Card. You would get 5% flat cash back on all Amazon purchases. Other than that you would get 1% cash back on every other purchase other than fuel. Of you pay bills through Amazon App you would get 2% cash back plus the usual offers they keep on running.
fazayal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 09:51   #4608
BHPian

Quote:

I may be wrong about this but the no cost EMIs still cost you 18% GST because it’s a service you are provided by the card company. Probably something you should keep in mind (and do some research on, because like I said, I may be wrong here).
pandey.jai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 10:23   #4609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
I may be wrong about this but the no cost EMIs still cost you 18% GST because it’s a service you are provided by the card company.
18% GST is only on the interest and not on EMI.

Interest amount is already reimbursed at the time purchase.
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 11:37   #4610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
I may be wrong about this but the no cost EMIs still cost you 18% GST because it’s a service you are provided by the card company. Probably something you should keep in mind (and do some research on, because like I said, I may be wrong here).
I have gone for two major purchase at no-cost EMI. The deal, at least for ICICI is as follows
. Instant discount of upto 3,000.
. Interest returned after 3-4 months.
. GST on interest has to be borne by you.

Al that you loose is the interest (on the EMI interest) for 3-4 months.
Old 18th July 2021, 15:46   #4611
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

HDFC is hands-down the best of the lot; but since they aren't issuing new cards at the moment, that's a bummer. You can opt for ICICI or SBI Credit Card, both have good offers round the year, and have tie-ups with multiple online portals.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 18:16   #4612
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Don't know about other banks but from what I see on my statements, you don't get points on no-cost EMI transactions on HDFC. (HDFC has no-cost EMI on six months' tenure). I could and intended to buy both the products that I did on the no-cost EMI option at full price but was persuaded by the sales guy to go for it since I had nothing to lose. I thought opportunity cost yadi yada and took it up. Must've lost on a LOT of points.

The Amazon ICICI card is a good option; you can time your purchases with the various sales on Amazon and maximize cashback.

Another option is the StanC Ultimate.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 01:19   #4613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Don't know about other banks but from what I see on my statements, you don't get points on no-cost EMI transactions on HDFC. (HDFC has no-cost EMI on six months' tenure). I could and intended to buy both the products that I did on the no-cost EMI option at full price but was persuaded by the sales guy to go for it since I had nothing to lose. I thought opportunity cost yadi yada and took it up. Must've lost on a LOT of points.
This happened with me recently while buying an AC from Reliance Digital. By force of habit, didn't even look at the financing option, but went for the No-Cost EMI since the Sales Guy was too persuasive. Need to check the statement regarding the points now. Losing points is surely a bummer
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 08:25   #4614
Senior - BHPian

Yea, you don’t get points/cash back on zero interest EMIs.
Pancham is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 08:43   #4615
BHPian

I am an avid user of CC. Owning quite an handful of them. If one uses CC judiciously, then they are definitely a boon and not a bane. I own and use the following among my cards frequently HDFC, ICICI and SBI. All these have their pros and cons. For e.g. SBI has the BT on EMI feature which is very useful in case of emergencies. Suggest everyone to choose a card that is beneficial for the individual.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 19th July 2021 at 10:35. Reason: typo
Old 19th July 2021, 10:08   #4616
BHPian

Source

Quote:
One of the major difference between a RuPay card, An American Express Credit card, a MasterCard and a Visa debit card is the operating cost of these cards. Since RuPay supports transactions, only within India, the merchants and the banks pay less service charge to the payment gateway as compared to other cards, which are all international payment systems.
If so, then, why are vendors not preferring Rupay ? I can understand large players having tie ups with Visa/Mastercard/Amex but what's stopping local shops from preferring Rupay or UPI ? Lifecare medicals close to where I live, offers 20% discount when paid by cash / UPI. 15% when done by Rupay and 10% when done by other credit cards.
Old 19th July 2021, 15:12   #4617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
You are correct. I didn't realize that till i saw your message here.

Even I think so. So, i am waiting for my billing cycle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Even I saw it in my ICICI app that no points shown for Amazon purchases.

Statement received. Must be an app issue. Points are as advertised.
vinu_h is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 15:20   #4618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Statement received. Must be an app issue. Points are as advertised.
Yes.

I also got my statement and in fact, reward points have also been added to my Amazon Pay balance this morning.
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 20:48   #4619
BHPian

Is there any extra benefit paying EB via credit card? I dont see the option on smartbuy. I usually pay direct via bank account but thought would check if any way to rack up points or cash back of some sort exists these days.
Old 20th July 2021, 07:45   #4620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Is there any extra benefit paying EB via credit card? I dont see the option on smartbuy. I usually pay direct via bank account but thought would check if any way to rack up points or cash back of some sort exists these days.
I assume your CC is from HDFC? If so, you can pay via the payzap app (CC linked to the payzapp account). They have been giving 5% cashback for some months now. There was a max ceiling for the cashback (rs200/250).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks