Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2021, 17:59   #4591
BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Absolutely proud of the new teeth that RBI grew to bite into HDFC, Dinersclub, Amex and Mastercard. I wonder if Visa is compliant, if no that will be a big boost to Rupay.

SOURCE
This is the right thing to do. They gave them enough time to comply but seems like MasterCard was taking us for granted here.

Note: Our financial services sector is actually quite mature and managed very well compared to many others. Not the best in the world, but quite well despite too much negativity about everything Indian that we read in media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Can someone briefly describe what is the reason behind all these bans? I am not able to open the link due to the adblocker I use.

Boost to Rupay at the cost of convenience? Not sure what is the acceptance of Rupay currently. And what about people who want to travel abroad or do online transactions on foreign sites?
Rupay was intended to server low income groups/users who are unlikely to face such challenges. The cost structure of these international card issues was too high for the banks (especially PSBs) to promote cards for all customers in India. Over period, when Rupay grows more - it won't be difficult to develop it more for international use. Rest assured, this step is not taken to boost Rupay.

For Abroad travel or txns, other options are available easily to the needy and the savvy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Late but right decision
Old 15th July 2021, 18:28   #4592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
However i dont think we get points on the amazon pay icici credit card, not sure.
You go get points in Amazon Pay ICICI CC. The points are converted to Amazon Pay Credit. 1Pt = ₹1. I am finding this card really useful since I purchase lot of stuffs from Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
This is the right thing to do. They gave them enough time to comply but seems like MasterCard was taking us for granted here.
True that. Added as mentioned, our financial sector is matured. When there was that global meltdown post Lehmann Brothers, the impact was less felt in our country.

Quote:
Rupay was intended to server low income groups/users who are unlikely to face such challenges.
RuPay has a very bright future - just the fact that we are very populous country itself is a boon. I feel that the govt should give more impetus to RuPay in the wake of MASTERCARD not complying with our Data Policy.
livelyyoungman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 18:38   #4593
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Can someone briefly describe what is the reason behind all these bans?
It's basically data hosting in India. These companies don't want to be in a position where every country starts saying keep different data centers here. It's an added infra cost and there is a data security and confidentiality problem.

If you follow the news, iMessage was also said something similar but then the notification to them was rescinded. Apple is strict about data and wont share it with any country. There is also the problem of local laws being misused, anyone can file an FIR and the company will be compelled to release customer data which ideally should be confidential.

There's a lot to unpack here but this is the gist.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 18:47   #4594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Hello! Can anyone tell me how do I check my Amazon Pay ICICI credit card points on ICICI "iMobile Pay" app if I do not have an ICICI bank account?
After logging in, go to My Cards & select your Credit Card. This should open the Manage Card view. There is a Recent Transactions section when you scroll down to the bottom - Opening this would show you upto last 30 days transactions. If you further press on each transaction, you would be able to see the reward points awarded.

On another note, I think it's a good practice to watch out on the reward points being earned. Few months back, I noticed that I've been getting only 1% reward point for transactions done through Amazon Pay Wallet on third party websites whereas during the time I booked the card, they promised 2%. I disregarded it and didn't bother to raise this thinking the rules may have changed. Recently, I loaded Amazon Pay balance using the same card where I received 0 reward points when I was supposed to get 2%. This time I raised the concern over email and the customer support reached out saying it was a technical error and has been sorted. God knows how many of their customers are actually paying attention. Quite unethical I'd say!

Last edited by logicalidiot : 15th July 2021 at 18:57. Reason: Spelling
logicalidiot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 21:57   #4595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post
After logging in, go to My Cards & select your Credit Card. ... Opening this would show you upto last 30 days transactions.
When I open that app it asks me for 4 Digit login pin. When I enter that it says "your mobile number is updated against pocket wallet user....." With two options of Activate as pocket wallet user and Link my existing bank account and nothing else.

Clicking on submit ngives me a pop-up saying "your request could not be processed".

Nothing happens.
Old 16th July 2021, 00:17   #4596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Issued in April 2018, it gave all payment providers six months time to ensure that data relating to Indians' payment activities are stored within India. It appears that MasterCard didn't comply even after 3 years.
Thanks

Quote:
Note: Our financial services sector is actually quite mature and managed very well compared to many others. Not the best in the world, but quite well despite too much negativity about everything Indian that we read in media.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
It's basically data hosting in India. These companies don't want to be in a position where every country starts saying keep different data centers here. It's an added infra cost and there is a data security and confidentiality problem.
Our financial sector might be maturing but our volume is still very less compared to the big players like the US, EU, and China. I feel the lack of data protection laws and the ever-changing regulations are the major concerns for hosting data locally. Also, read that the law mandates that the copies of data should not be hosted outside India. Again, this is a big DR/BCP risk.

Quote:
For Abroad travel or txns, other options are available easily to the needy and the savvy.
Till the time Rupay becomes global, what are the other options?
Old 16th July 2021, 07:44   #4597

Quote:
God knows how many of their customers are actually paying attention. Quite unethical I'd say!
After going through your post, I checked my statement and found out even I am not getting any points for transactions done on amazon (though for 3 party websites, I got points).

Raised issue with Amazon customer. As per them since the reward points are being awarded by ICICI bank itself, they will revert after consulting ICICI bank.
Old 16th July 2021, 07:52   #4598
BHPian

Quote:
With two options of Activate as pocket wallet user and Link my existing bank account and nothing else.
Perhaps your credit card is not linked to the account. Can you check if you're registered with the same mobile number/email ID on which you receive the monthly statements?

Below is the exact name of the application on Google Playstore. Do ensure if you have the right app installed as well. There are several other old/previous gen apps for ICICI on the Playstore.
Attached Thumbnails
The Credit Card Thread-screenshot_20210716074831118_com.android.vending.jpg  

Last edited by logicalidiot : 16th July 2021 at 07:53. Reason: Added a line
logicalidiot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 08:12   #4599
BHPian

Quote:
Below is the exact name of the application on Google Playstore. Do ensure if you have the right app installed as well. There are several other old/previous gen apps for ICICI on the Playstore.
I installed the same app. But facing similar issue of seeing only offers and offers for linking bank account.
Mobile number and emails are exactly same as what I use for ICICI transactions.

Is it possible that it is happening because I'm using a mobile with no Google services?
Old 16th July 2021, 09:43   #4600
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks

Our financial sector might be maturing but our volume is still very less compared to the big players like the US, EU, and China. I feel the lack of data protection laws and the ever-changing regulations are the major concerns for hosting data locally. Also, read that the law mandates that the copies of data should not be hosted outside India. Again, this is a big DR/BCP risk.

BCP/DR location need not be always outside your country. Though I agree that it is a cost that they have to incur. But more than the cost, it is the compliance with both - target country specific laws (India) and home country (USA) specific laws, that they don't want to do at same time. Trying to resolve a conflict in such a case is a very tricky situation to be in.

Current MasterCard holders are not impacted. For new issues, you still have VISA when needed. Most banks I know have tie-ups with both. I hold two CCs from same bank with one from each Card Processor (VISA and MasterCard). You also still have TCs around. Though I agree that carrying TCs is not the most convenient way, it is better than carrying Cash.

And large corporates are still able to issue International Cards from say SG or HK directly.

So the inconvenience is only if you are limited to a bank that has a tie-up with MasterCard only and you want a new Card.
sunilch is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 10:26   #4601
Senior - BHPian

For Amazon Pay ICICI card, you get cash back in Rupees. To check,
. Amazon.in
. Amazon Pay
. Transactions
. Cashbacks

The Credit Card Thread-clipboard01.jpg

This what you get.
Old 16th July 2021, 13:07   #4602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Current MasterCard holders are not impacted. For new issues, you still have VISA when needed. Most banks I know have tie-ups with both. I hold two CCs from same bank with one from each Card Processor (VISA and MasterCard). You also still have TCs around. Though I agree that carrying TCs is not the most convenient way, it is better than carrying Cash.

So the inconvenience is only if you are limited to a bank that has a tie-up with MasterCard only and you want a new Card.
I know there is Visa, but last year both Citibank and HDFC switched my Visa cards to Master during renewal (no other change in terms of benefits) and I was left without a visa card. I have since got myself a Visa card though.

Are TCs even accepted anymore? I have not had to use one ever and the last I remember seeing one was nearly a quarter-century ago.
Old 16th July 2021, 18:20   #4603
BHPian

Quote:
Perhaps your credit card is not linked to the account....There are several other old/previous gen apps for ICICI on the Playstore.
Thank you! I installed the same app but nope! Still stuck on that stupid Pocket Wallet and Bank account option. The customer care number is lame. The toll free one says "balance insufficient" even when I tried other company toll free number as well as personal numbers. Then the long loop of "press number 9 to connect with person" but the number 9 doesn't register! All the other times the number 9 works. Checked from other phone if one phone's keypad was culprit but no. Such a crappy experience man!
Old 16th July 2021, 19:48   #4604
BHPian

Quote:
Based on information from RuPay's website, they have a tie-up with Discover (since 2012) and JCB (since 2019) to provide international coverage. At least in the US, Discover (or specifically their Diners brand) used to be accepted almost everywhere in the late 90s & early 20s.

Have been a big fan of RuPay since it was introduced. During debit card renewals, have to specifically request for a RuPay card since the banks default to Visa or Mastercard.
Old 17th July 2021, 00:56   #4605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Is it possible that it is happening because I'm using a mobile with no Google services?
Seems unlikely. This should be an issue from ICICIs end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
To check,
. Amazon.in
. Amazon Pay
. Transactions
. Cashbacks
This doesn't show you the reward points (cashback) earned on each transaction. When the monthly statement is generated, the consolidated cashback is what gets added here; correct me if I'm wrong!

Quote:
Thank you! I installed the same app but nope! Still stuck on that stupid Pocket Wallet and Bank account option.
Oh, I believe it is an issue from ICICIs end. Did you take the Amazon ICICI card recently? If yes, try waiting for a month or till the first statement is generated.

Quote:
Such a crappy experience man!
I was all happy and had zero complaints with ICICI until last week I sent an email to their customer support department requesting a credit card limit enhancement. Ever since then, I've been getting calls atleast 3 times a day from their call center offering me paperless personal loan on the basis of credit card records. Even HDFC calls me for the same type of loan but it never got as annoying as ICICI who would shamelessly call you even after asking them not to.

Worst part is that they don't take 'No' for an answer and will start contemplating on how emergency might arrive at unexpected times. What caught me off-guard was a guy asking me to take personal loan (with interest rate of 15%) to make portfolio investments.
logicalidiot is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks