Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2023, 16:08   #7006
BANNED

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Please advise your expert opinions if I am missing something or should be looking at other than or in addition to AMEX
I have three cards i.e., AMEX Centurian, HDFC Infinia, and Citi Bank Prestige, and I have never felt the need for any additional card. In fact, all my expenses are sorted with just AMEX and HDFC cards. I think your card portfolio looks good, and it will serve all your financial requirements.
aseem23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 16:54   #7007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Wanted to clarify one thing -
I am not advising or suggesting people to not go for 5-6 or more credit cards.
My point was that if you have a super premium card like Infinia with class-leading reward rates and easy redemption options, getting many more cards might not be useful.
Agree with you on most counts.

In real world, IT systems do go down, on the odd occasion bank policies defy common sense. Hackers could strike etc.
One wouldn't want to be stuck with a card that doesn't work especially while traveling.

And lastly, the T&C of Infinia can also change - either the rewards get diluted or the annual charges can be made exorbitant.
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 20:28   #7008
BHPian

I have reduced my portfolio to just two cards. HDFC Infinia & Amex Platinum. I put whatever I can on these two credit cards including school fees. I try to use accelerated rewards (Smartbuy & Rewards Multiplier) wherever I can. I am yet to use Platinum’s benefits like discounts on travel, which I am eagerly looking forward to.

Previously I tried to maintain 5/6 cards where I tried to use specific card for specific purpose like amazon pay card, SBI cashback, amex MRCC etc etc. I felt it was too much hassle for too little gains! I have stopped thinking too deep into extracting every last penny from credit cards. I am ok if my effective cashback rate is little lower than the best possible scenario. I would rather have some great intangible benefits like top class concierge, dedicated & best customer service, early access to events, unlimited lounge access in almost all airports etc!
Comrade is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 20:54   #7009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
Is it beneficial to take a DCB Life Time free card to switch from SBI Elite? I am observing that DCB seems to have much better rewards. Is Diners Club acceptance at merchant outlets as good as Visa or Mastercard?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
I've recently taken the Diners Club Black credit card and I've found acceptance at even relatively smaller offline vendors to be very good. I've been holding the card for around 3 months, so still early days, but the transaction has never been declined anywhere, at least in Pune. And this is at places where Amex will never be accepted.

I guess the fact that a behemoth like HDFC Bank distributes this card has helped in that regard.
Diners now works on the Rupay network offline, so it has good acceptance almost everywhere. I was also pleasantly surprised and have faced acceptance issue only online on some sites.

The rewards are really good, especially via gyftr (averaging 6-7% reward rate on monthly spends).
Am super happy with this card, especially the unlimited lounge access.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 5th September 2023 at 20:58.
fiat_tarun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 23:21   #7010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Very much works with an iPhone. I have a couple of HDFCB RuPay cards, one physical and the other virtual, and both work seamlessly through GPay.
Thanks @itwasntme! I have applied for a RuPay card now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
Try getting HDFC Tata Neu Infinity Rupay variant. 1.5% on all spends above INR 34/- (the 1.5% comes in the form of Neu coins whose value is 1:1).
Ideally, it should be LTF if you have a relationship with HDFC.
Do check Tata Neu App. Do check if some of your friends or family members can share their referral for this card. If no one is available, I can share mine.
Thanks @turbospooler - Just applied for this exact card the night before this message. I got a LTF offer and got the virtual card today!
Adi_k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 09:30   #7011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I would rather have some great intangible benefits like top class concierge, dedicated & best customer service, early access to events, unlimited lounge access in almost all airports etc!
Have you used any of these benefits till now?

You will be hugely disappointed once you really try using all of those benefits on the Amex Platinum Charge Card unless you are somebody who have zero idea on how to Google things or somebody who doesnt have time to research something and wants a Personal Assistant kind of a person (Concierge) to google something and tell you what's possible.

Amex Platinum Concierge's tagline is 'Do Anything Concierge'

I call them 'Do Nothing Concierge'. 9 out of 10 times they would fail you for things you cant do thru 15-20 mins of Google Search. The concierge is only good for the uber-rich who want to book exclusive restaurants, business class and first class flight tickets etc.

Try putting the Amex Customer support in unusual positions and you would know that they falter like any other Customer support. They just know their English better than the other Bank Customer Support executives.

As for Unlimited Lounge Access - Infinia is good enough for this. No need to pay hefty fee for the Platinum Charge Card.

A Side Note for all taking the Plunge into the Amex Platinum Charge Card

Just because it has the highest fee amongst the Retail Credit Cards, it doesn't mean it is the best. Please do evaluate the features in detail. Some major negatives:

- Key Point to Note - No Renewal Benefits against the Annual Fee of Rs. 70,800
- Marriott Bonvoy Gold Status can be achieved in 8 Nights but more importantly, the real status benefits are seen at Platinum Status & above.
- Despite Rs. 70,800 fee, it provides Priority pass to only One Supplementary Card Holder as against Infinia / DCB which provide Priority Pass / International Lounge access to upto 4 Add-On Cardholders. Pretty bad policy for a card of that high fee
- Base Reward Rate is 1.25%. Many cards offer much higher reward rate than that.

I could go on and on on this having used the cards for two full years before closing it down last September.

Last edited by tejas08 : 7th September 2023 at 09:43. Reason: Additional Information added
tejas08 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 15:02   #7012
BHPian

Looking for suggestions:

How exactly do I apply for a credit card of my choice with HDFC Bank? I have shortlisted Millenia Credit Card but whenever I click on apply online/fill my details, the website throws up 3 credit cards that it thinks is the best for me. I dont like those recommendations but there is no way I can override it to choose the card of my liking.

Thanks in advance
akhil_007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 16:30   #7013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
Looking for suggestions:

whenever I click on apply online/fill my details, the website throws up 3 credit cards that it thinks is the best for me. I dont like those recommendations but there is no way I can override it to choose the card of my liking.

Approach the nearest branch of the Bank and ask for it. Online processes do have their own limitations of choices basis the logic fed in.
Fx14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 20:16   #7014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
Have you used any of these benefits till now?

You will be hugely disappointed once you really try using all of those benefits on the Amex Platinum Charge Card unless you are somebody who have zero idea on how to Google things or somebody who doesnt have time to research something and wants a Personal Assistant kind of a person (Concierge) to google something and tell you what's possible.

As for Unlimited Lounge Access - Infinia is good enough for this. No need to pay hefty fee for the Platinum Charge Card.

A Side Note for all taking the Plunge into the Amex Platinum Charge Card

Just because it has the highest fee amongst the Retail Credit Cards, it doesn't mean it is the best.
I got a call from AMEX for the Platinum Charge Card. The sales guy was very persistent, so I listened to him for quite some time. But, even after hearing to him for a while and then going though the features/benefits in their websites, I could not figure out any reason to pay 70K joining + renewal fees.

I am thinking to have another Credit card other than Infinia, which will help me with lounge options and may be some bank-specific offers. Looking at cards which I can get LTF or easy renewal waiver.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 21:20   #7015
BHPian

This thread is an eye opener. Thanks for all the valuable inputs shared here. I had 10-11 credit cards in my portfolio and now I have decided to shift to only 3. I am closing my credit cards one by one. I have already applied for Axis Vistara Infinite. Found it very rewarding. The Magnus has been downgraded in a big way.

I will apply for Infinia in the next couple of months. I found the SBI Cashback Card very interesting, but they gave me a very low credit limit of 30k. I read a couple of reviews where they have mentioned that SBI is knowingly giving a low credit limit on that card.

Does any other card make sense? I have the Amex Gold charge card too. Should I keep one of the cards of Amex and the rest Infinia and Vistara Infinite or can anyone suggest a combo of 3 cards to get best of non spend based benefits as well as spend based benefits?
Old 7th September 2023, 21:52   #7016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
lounge eligibility has been significantly trimmed over the past few months.
I am total noob with respect to lounge benefits on CC as I travel mostly by car or trains. So when a CC offers free lounge access, is it completely free or some minimal charge is applied? Or the entry to lounge is not charged but facilities inside are chargeable, like food, beverages, wifi etc.?
Old 7th September 2023, 22:17   #7017
Senior - BHPian

Need some help.

I received a call from ICICI bank about an outstanding payment to a credit card that I don’t even own. I was told that it’s in default bucket and it’ll impact my credit score. I told the caller that I’ll report him to the cyber cell as a scammer at which point he gave the phone to his supervisor and I could authenticate that it’s a genuine call from the bank.

Clearly I don’t hold that particular card and I n was told that the joining fees is what’s showing as outstanding and there is interest that keeps getting added. There are no transactions done on that card as confirmed by the caller.

How could a bank charge me for something that i don’t even have? What could I do to remedy this? Amount isn’t big, but I don’t want to pay since I don’t even know what card they are talking about.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 22:30   #7018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
How could a bank charge me for something that i don’t even have? What could I do to remedy this? Amount isn’t big, but I don’t want to pay since I don’t even know what card they are talking about.
If you get your credit score, it should also list your credit cards. First check that it is showing up in that list and ensure that this is not a scam.

Once you know it's genuine, see if you can go to their branch and resolve this. That would be my thought. They should be able to provide assistance by checking the application form etc. Icici bank is usually pretty good with their in-person banking.

Last edited by deep_bang : 7th September 2023 at 22:32.
deep_bang is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 22:34   #7019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Clearly I don’t hold that particular card and I n was told that the joining fees is what’s showing as outstanding and there is interest that keeps getting added. There are no transactions done on that card as confirmed by the caller.

First check your credit report, both experian and CIBIL because if there was a card issued to you it would be shown in your credit report. You can use OneScore app to check the same, it's FOC and updates your information monthly.

Secondly by any chance did you get any information about the card like the last 4 digits or Credit card variant, you can call ICICI credit card helpline to confirm if there is any credit card open against your registered phone number.

Thirdly if all fails you can visit the nearest ICICI branch with your aadhar and PAN to verify if their is any such credit card issued to you and why was this issued when you did not even apply for.

First go through these steps to confirm if such credit card exists or it was a scam call.

Also as per RBI the card issuer cannot create a credit card account, on the issuance of a credit card, unless a card is activatedand if the credit card is not activated within a prescribed period of time, the credit card will be cancelled.

P.S. My mother who is an practicing advocate had started receiving calls from various legal departments such as Tis Hazari Legal Department and Patiala House Legal department claiming that they were an advocate calling her to settle the dues of some loan without knowing she's an advocate herself and even went on to threaten a Police case would be registered against her. As i handle all the finances at home, she asked me about the call and while she was aware no such department exists in these courts and told them to scam someone else, she still got worried.

Last edited by revvharder : 7th September 2023 at 22:46.
revvharder is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 22:39   #7020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I am total noob with respect to lounge benefits on CC as I travel mostly by car or trains. So when a CC offers free lounge access, is it completely free or some minimal charge is applied? Or the entry to lounge is not charged but facilities inside are chargeable, like food, beverages, wifi etc.?
Lounge access when offered by any credit card, will usually involve you swiping your card for either Rs.2 or Rs.25 and it will be instantly credited back to you. Once you are in the lounge, all food, water, coffee tea is complementary (free of cost) and many lounges even offer canned/packaged juices. Liquor if any, will be chargeable (most international terminal lounges will offer free liquor too).

So basically lounge access is free and so is the food and most facilities inside.
ashwinsid is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks