Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2023, 18:06   #7036
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

I have been surviving without a credit card till date but some apps such as Booking.com have a credit card transactions only mode of payment so had to avail a credit card, finally. I have had a SBI Gold&More credit card back in 2013 for a few months that I had closed since I had to visit ATM every month for clearing dues (I did not have net banking etc.)

I am a late joiner at most things related to transactions:
PayTM in 2017
Mobile banking in 2021
Net banking: Not yet
UPI in late 2022
Cred: Not yet
Once the incentives and cashbacks are over, the app finds me there.
My colleague says that I am missing important reward points by doing debit card transactions rather than credit card ones.

Applied for the ICICI-Amazon Pay credit card today and KYC was digital through video conferencing. Now lets see the outcome (5-7 days time). They took Aadhaar, PAN etc. for documentation. These details have been shared with both amazon as well as ICICI. I did not need to Amazon Pay ICICI card exactly and could have gone for the regular ICICI credit card as well but I thought maybe my application would have higher chances of being successful in case my account activity (purchase history, spends etc) on amazon are reviewed to analyze the genuineness of the application. The local banks here do not have the training to handle educated customers (not talking about ICICI but just a general statement based on experience in different bank branches around my work place).

Originally, I wanted SBI credit card from the branch where my salary is credited but the staff told me that Aadhaar is mandatory for credit card. Due to reporte of AePS frauds in accounts linked to Aadhaar, I do not wish to link my main bank account with aadhaar. So did not risk handing out my Aadhaar to the SBI staff.
Old 10th September 2023, 22:58   #7037
BHPian

I have the Amex Platinum Charge Card. I have found it to be extremely useful. Few cases highlighted below:
1) Got business class tickets to the US for INR 75 K less than any other site
2) Got eligible for some spent based offer and won 20K additional Taj Vouchers
3) Last 3 holidays to Taj hotels, have just paid through vouchers generated from reward points and other offers
4) Booked a few other properties through their concierge that did the negotiation on my behalf and got some nice deals
5) Converted MR points into Bonvoy for free bookings in Mariott
6) Got an upgrade on room category at Hilton Midtown NYC
7) Multiple other benefits like Eazydiner membership, priority pass, access to all domestic lounges including exclusive AMEX lounges, golf benefits, Taj Epicure membership
P.S. Acceptability in India is still a challenge and this cannot be your only card.
Ashish0485 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 23:29   #7038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post
Exactly. do let me know if you find it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwerkyC0ffee View Post
This is the exact situation I found myself in about a week ago. The recommendations showing up in their website are based on your credit score and whether or not you have any existing relationship with the bank, although I agree that the algorithm is flawed.
Apparently I had a dedicated relationship manager,whom I had disconnected and blocked a lot of times in past few years. I called up the number and behold, she recognised me instantly. I asked for Millennia but she was trying to upsell Regalia Gold. The call was transferred to credit card dept and they told me Regalia Gold is LTF, higher limit vs Millenia which has a limit of 1L only. Also Regalia Gold has international lounge access. I have quite a few travels coming up which made me opt for Regalia Gold.

Also, no kyc was needed since I have a long relationship with hdfc bank. Only a sign on application form was all that was required. The person came to my home and got the signatures done.

So,check if you guys have a RM or if you guys are based in Bangalore,I can share the Cc person number. He might be able to help
akhil_007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 00:58   #7039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Applied for the ICICI-Amazon Pay credit card today and KYC was digital through video conferencing. Now lets see the outcome (5-7 days time).
How much credit limit did you get as a first time user ?
Old 11th September 2023, 06:45   #7040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
How much credit limit did you get as a first time user ?
To be honest, I did not get this information. Or maybe I missed it. My application will be processed in a day or a few and I will let you know. I am also processing if getting the “amazin pay”-ICICI card was really needed and it was better to simply get a card directly from ICICI.

This free card (no joining fee and no annual fee) serves two purposes:
1. To allow me to use credit card only services such as booking hotel through booking.com
2. To allow me to build a CIBIL score.

Shall be using the card as little as possible.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 08:15   #7041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
How do you redeem the Taj vouchers? When I tried at Vivanta, they asked for a pin, which I didn't have. Amex customer care says the last 4 digits of the voucher code are the pin.
You will get a mail from Amex announcing that you have received the 10k voucher and that has the pin. You will get an sms too but that does not contain the pin I think. Once you have the pin, pretty seamless experience. Do remember that the voucher expires in one year.
neerajku is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 09:30   #7042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post
Exactly. do let me know if you find it out.

I too need the Millenia, but it is showing me a higher one. I dont need that since Millenia card is the perfect one for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
Looking for suggestions:

How exactly do I apply for a credit card of my choice with HDFC Bank? I have shortlisted Millenia Credit Card
I was in same situation, wanted HDFC Millenia card, I just emailed from registered email ID to customerservices.cards@hdfc.com with my requests and basic details like last 4 digits of existing card, mobile number. They approved my request and sent Millenia card, based on my usage, gave me lifetime free.
DetectiveMiles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 10:00   #7043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
How do you redeem the Taj vouchers? When I tried at Vivanta, they asked for a pin, which I didn't have. Amex customer care says the last 4 digits of the voucher code are the pin.
That is incorrect.
See the image below.

The Credit Card Thread-screenshot-20230911-095738.jpg

Check your mail for the full details.
turbospooler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 13:16   #7044
BHPian

Quote:
I am also processing if getting the “amazin pay”-ICICI card was really needed and it was better to simply get a card directly from ICICI.
You could have applied this directly from ICICI bank as well or looked for any other card that fit your requirement.

Experience have taught me that its better to Apply a card through bank and best to apply it through some referral portal.

To give you an example, I recently applied HDFC Swiggy card from Swiggy app. I did not get any special welcome benefits. However, had I applied the same through HDFC website, they give 1500rs voucher as welcome benefits to most of their cards.

Now there are some referral websites like CashKaro, and if you apply through them, you will get 1500rs voucher from them + 1500 from HDFC However you need to be a first time customer to avail this benefit.
Samfromindia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 19:06   #7045
BHPian

Quote:
the staff told me that Aadhaar is mandatory for credit card. Due to reporte of AePS frauds in accounts linked to Aadhaar, I do not wish to link my main bank account with aadhaar. So did not risk handing out my Aadhaar to the SBI staff.
You can choose to use the Adhaar Virtual ID instead of the adhaar number. That way you don't expose the adhaar number and you can regenerate the Virtual ID any time.
While I do take these precautions, for all we know, all these details may already be out in the open.
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 21:03   #7046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
HDFC Diners Club Black
HDFC Infinia
Amex Platinum Travel
Axis Atlas
Amex Membership Rewards Credit Card

Use combination of these cards to achieve the spends and get rewards redeemable for Travel.
Hey Tejas
You being a master of this craft, please put down an optimal combination of cards to replace the Magnus. I tried going through all of thee cards on the website but can't figure out the best combination. I could look at giving up the Vistara Infinite also in case theres another card that gives me the Gold status an better rewards.
Karan_n8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 21:30   #7047
BHPian

Has anyone noticed a sudden drop in the reward value of credit cards, 3 of my credit cards were de-valued within a month or so. These were RBL Play, Axis My Zone, and Axis Ace.
Either the reward points have decreased or they have removed many spends that counted towards rewards.
Old 11th September 2023, 22:43   #7048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranabegins View Post
Has anyone noticed a sudden drop in the reward value of credit cards, 3 of my credit cards were de-valued within a month or so. These were RBL Play, Axis My Zone, and Axis Ace.
Either the reward points have decreased or they have removed many spends that counted towards rewards.
Old 12th September 2023, 17:15   #7049
bht
BHPian

Hi, does any one has experience on how the security hold by overseas merchants work on Indian credit cards?

I am planning an short trip to Norway next month, while I'll have car rental booked and paid beforehand using my debit card issued in EU, I do not have any credit cards for the security amount they put on hold and they need credit card for it, I'm planning on using my HFDFC regalia card for the same. would it involve any current conversion/mark up charges etc since this is just a hold which will be released upon return of the car?
Old 12th September 2023, 20:56   #7050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bht View Post
Hi, does any one has experience on how the security hold by overseas merchants work on Indian credit cards?

I am planning an short trip to Norway next month, while I'll have car rental booked and paid beforehand using my debit card issued in EU, I do not have any credit cards for the security amount they put on hold and they need credit card for it, I'm planning on using my HFDFC regalia card for the same. would it involve any current conversion/mark up charges etc since this is just a hold which will be released upon return of the car?
From my past experience a hold on the card doesnt get into currency conversion. That happens once it is reconciled if and when the charge actually happens. (this is my observation from past experience)
alexgv is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks