Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2021, 12:21   #4186
BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Did anyone see the recent T&C change for Amex rewards card? From next month we have to make 4 txns of Rs.1500 each to be eligible for bonus 1000 points, however they are also letting us sign up for another benefit, to get another 1000 points as bonus each month we meet a spend target of Rs.20000. This doesn't bother me too much though, in fact, I could take advantage of the new offer too as I am considering to use Amex for making donation payments when accepted (I did that recently to meet spend target of 15k). I make at least 10k donations each month and get an average of about 10k statement balance even otherwise.
haridsv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 13:28   #4187
BHPian

Amex card acceptance seems to be a problem then. Most cards I have are Visa, one card is MasterCard. I though I would add variety by having one Amex. Now I will explore one direct Amex card.
Old 28th February 2021, 14:59   #4188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Amex card acceptance seems to be a problem then. Most cards I have are Visa, one card is MasterCard. I though I would add variety by having one Amex. Now I will explore one direct Amex card.
Yes. Amex acceptance is definitely an issue. Diners was a level above when it came to acceptance issues but with RuPay penetration, Diners got better instantly as Diners are accepted wherever RuPay is accepted.

Now this does not mean you should give up on Amex. If you can live with workarounds, Amex can be a great set of cards. I personally have 5 Visa / Mastercard cards and 3 Amex (Direct) cards.
tejas08 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 15:08   #4189
BHPian

Need advice, have a Standard Chartered Platinum rewards card, Axis Bank MY Zone Card and an American Membership Rewards credit card (Gold color). The Amex is due for renewal 10th of this month and when checked with the customer care yesterday I am falling short by 40 K in order to be eligible for the year charges waive off (Rs.2500/-) Now from the time i got this card been trying to use it wherever possible but given the low acceptance I end up not meeting the annual charges waive off criteria.

Standard chartered is only a back up card used and all the fuel expenses and other expenses are paid via Axis credit card.

I have close to 13 K rewards points in Amex but I am seriously thinking if i should continue with the card. My card usage is quite low and paying 2.5 k for renewal is actually a lot for me (my monthly provisions cost). My and wife kept thinking if we have any expense in the near future for 40 K but other than the car insurance which is due in May we can't use it.

Standard chartered sends me a message today to upgrade to a Manhattan card, don't know what will be that difference between the existing one.

Please advise if I should continue with Amex or terminate it (statement date is on 10 March)

Last edited by Abhi_abarth : 2nd March 2021 at 15:08. Reason: Edits
Old 2nd March 2021, 15:11   #4190
BHPian

ICICI Bank had a Ferrari cobranded card which had offers such as discounted rates at Ferrari museum and such. However, this card has been replaced, free of cost, with a new card, curated specifically for 'auto enthusiasts'. Details below:

Name: Accelero ICICI Bank Credit Card

Benefits (summary):

1. Specially curated Exclusive experiences’
2. Exclusive access to Auto Expos & Test Drive Experiences
3. Complimentary 24x7 Roadside Assistance with complimentary key car parts
4. Additional 2.5%* cashback on fuel purchase
5. Complimentary Car Wash
6. Exclusive Redemption Catalogue with Auto Merchandise.
7. Earn 2 payback points on spend of INR 100/-
8. 1 complimentary airport lounge access per quarter by spending INR 5,000 in a calendar quarter

Mentioning below the automobile associated benefits (few are repeated):

1. 24X7 Toll Free Helpline – Partner shall provide Roadside Assistance services round the clock including public holidays and even guide you over phone with vehicle problem that our expert deems fit to be supported on phone.
2. On site Roadside repair – If your vehicle gets immobilized due to a Flat Tyre, Dead battery, minor fuse problem etc., arrangements shall be made by Allianz Partners to mobilize & assist the vehicle, if the problem still persists or requires major repairs the vehicle will be safely towed to the nearest authorized OEM workshop.
3. Towing of vehicle – If your vehicle gets immobilized due to Electrical Issues, Wrong Fueling, Mechanical failure, Accident, etc. Partner shall arrange to have the vehicle safely towed to the nearest Authorized OEM Workshop.
4. Taxi Services – In case of a breakdown / accident, arrangements will be made for free travel of the vehicle occupants from the spot of immobilization by a taxi up to a maximum of 50 kms.
5. Customer conference calling – For seamless & speedy services, a conference call between the customer, the assistance provider and Partners will be arranged. The customer will be kept updated on a regular basis about the status of services.
6. Custody Services: In case the customer is in a hurry and the towing vehicle will take time to arrive, then the customer shall be extended custody services for the vehicle, by Partners, through its service provider which shall relieve him so that the customer can carry on with his journey.
7. Fuel Delivery: In the event of immobilization due to an empty fuel tank, arrangements will be made for delivery of fuel up to a maximum of 5 liters on actuals.
8. Locked/Lost Key Benefit: In case of locked key /lost key arrangement will be made for retrieval of the spare key from the residence of the customer
9. Accommodation / Emergency Assistance – In the event that a customer’s vehicle is immobilized or meets with an accident while travelling out, Allianz Partners will help in organizing Hotel accommodation or emergency medical services near the location of the breakdown event.
10. Vehicle Repatriation – In case the car repair is going to take more than 2 days after it has been towed to an Authorized workshop then the customer may get his car repatriated back to his hometown for a distance of up to 100Kms and for places beyond 100kms, at a chargeable basis.
11. Replacement / Courtesy Car: In case a vehicle is immobilized and the customer needs a replacement car for local mobility then a replacement vehicle of a higher category or the best available vehicle will be arranged at prevailing market rates.

Although it comes with many terms and conditions, seems like a good choice for many who don't spend so much still would like to have access to such offers.
brownkaiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 15:12   #4191
Senior - BHPian

I use Amex at Amazon and it works. And my outside dining/lodging/ticketing are with Amex. Shell fuel stations accept them too.

These are the only places that I could find the m card accepted. Just with these, I somehow manage to get my annual fee waived.
Old 2nd March 2021, 17:35   #4192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
I use Amex at Amazon and it works. And my outside dining/lodging/ticketing are with Amex. Shell fuel stations accept them too.

These are the only places that I could find the m card accepted. Just with these, I somehow manage to get my annual fee waived.
Do they deduct points for fee waiver? I use Amex wherever possible too and have spends in the range of 6-7L/yr. Can I get a waiver without deducting points?
Old 2nd March 2021, 17:36   #4193
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Please advise if I should continue with Amex or terminate it (statement date is on 10 March)
If I was in your place I'd use up all points and terminate the card. I have a membership rewards card myself and for the past 2 years have hit the spend target but ever since I got the ICICI Amazon Pay card, that's become my go to and Amex is just used for the monthly 4 x 1000 transactions.

Unless Amex has some special offers on flight / hotel booking I don't see myself using it. Would definitely shut it down if I have to pay.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 18:08   #4194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownkaiser View Post
ICICI Bank had a Ferrari cobranded card which had offers such as discounted rates at Ferrari museum and such...
Was on the same boat. Cancelled it. Got the Amazon card instead. Payback points were a slow accrual and the benefits of the accelero card was not something i would be using all that much.
Old 2nd March 2021, 18:15   #4195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Do they deduct points for fee waiver? I use Amex wherever possible too and have spends in the range of 6-7L/yr. Can I get a waiver without deducting points?
For me, they haven't deducted the points when it comes to renewal. My annual spend on my Amex doesn't exceed 2.3-2.5 L / annum.

And for 6-7 L for you, I am sure they will be happy to waive off your fees too. Their customer service is perhaps one of the bests around. Its so easy to speak to a human or to chat with a human on their chat bot.
Old 2nd March 2021, 18:27   #4196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Just speak to the customer care and they will waive of the charge for you. My charge of 5000 Rs. was waived off when I explained that my yearly spend with them was high. Their customer care is good.
Old 2nd March 2021, 20:56   #4197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Just speak to the customer care and they will waive of the charge for you. My charge of 5000 Rs. was waived off when I explained that my yearly spend with them was high. Their customer care is good.
Same here regarding the annual fees.
Amex customer care is so good that I almost look forward to calling them
deep_bang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 19:24   #4198
BHPian

I am suddenly seeing a Manhattan PLC account in SCB when i login. Any idea if it is something to do with an EMI purchase on a credit card? I have not applied for any new cards with SCB but have purchased a laptop from Amazon recently on EMI.
Old 3rd March 2021, 20:08   #4199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I am suddenly seeing a Manhattan PLC account in SCB when i login. Any idea if it is something to do with an EMI purchase on a credit card? I have not applied for any new cards with SCB but have purchased a laptop from Amazon recently on EMI.
Yes, Manhattan creates a new card account for EMIs. I used to pay EMIs to this virtual card instead of my regular Manhattan card. I used this facility almost 15 years ago, and that Virtual account still shows in my account.

Last edited by Holyghost : 3rd March 2021 at 20:09.
Old 3rd March 2021, 21:51   #4200
BHPian

We are a family of three. I hold multiple cards which have airport lounge access benefits. All cards are in my name as primary card holder, no add on card. Can I use three cards simultaneously for lounge access for all three of us when we travel?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks