Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2022, 17:16   #5866
BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
How beneficial is paying society maintenance using card? I see the society intermediary apps like mygate / apnacomplex charging extra 1.8% for payment using CC. Do the points earned are higher in value than this additional percentage?
Infinia has 3.33% reward rate. So even with 1.85%+ gst, its still free to pay with the card, and these spends will help me reach the annual spend limit (10L).
Comrade is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 00:09   #5867
BHPian

Quote:
I see the society intermediary apps like mygate / apnacomplex charging extra 1.8% for payment using CC
I now use Flipkart Axis bank card which gives a 1-1.5% cashback on outside spends. Found it useful recently to pay engineering fees which carried a 1.2% CC fee. So it kinds of evens out.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 10:50   #5868
BHPian

Axis Bank My Zone is being given out life time free. Not sure till when.
vinu_h is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 12:07   #5869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moloised View Post
I have 4 Credit Cards and would like to get rid of one or two.
1. AMEX MRCC
2. ICICI Coral - Oldest, can't cancel for credit age
3. ICICI Amazon Pay
4. Citibank Rewards

Which among these provides the least value? Any good replacements that I should look into?

I know I am not eligible for the Infinia type cards, but anything below should be within my reach. Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

PS: I am not an avid traveller but I pay for almost everything with my credit cards.
I too have AMEX charge and ICICI - Platinum as well as Amazon. On and off I get another card due to canvassing by my banks, but ultimately I let go of them as they all have annula charges, while my three main cards are LTF.

So my suggestion is get rid of the Citibank card. Between them AMEX and ICICI have all the bases covered, and if you do not want to raise the credit limit, there is no need for another card.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 09:16   #5870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I keep on getting WA messages from Citibank asking mandate to transfer to Axis which I don't want to.

How do I close the account with Citi? Anyone who has done it successfully?
I also do not want to transfer to Axis. So I raised a query with Citi support and this is the reply:

----
In the event if you still conclude to close the card account, respecting your decision we request you write an email to us at head.customercare@citi.com from your registered email id providing us an explicit consent for card closure or by calling us at National Call-in number: 1860 210 2484 and overseas Call-in number: (91) 22 4955 2484.
----

Hope this helps. I will be closing my card this month.
murugaveln is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 09:28   #5871
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by murugaveln View Post
I will be closing my card this month.
So the WhatsApp link that Citi worked for me finally. I could not do it via App as my KYC is not updated.

I have almost used all the points for fuel Now there's some credit balance that I will spend.

The next day, I got a call from Axis telling me I was pre-approved, can be usual, or maybe Citi just passed them my details.
Old 11th October 2022, 20:33   #5872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
As final try, I sent an upgrade form via registered post to Chennai office. And within a week got my Infinia card at home.
Thanks to your tip, I couriered a letter to the Chennai address mentioning I want to use DCB but acceptance is a challenge so kindly upgrade to Infinia. 2 days later I received Infinia!
ashwinsid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 21:17   #5873
Senior - BHPian

I received my Hdfc card today.
However, they have misspelled my name on the card. Should I get it corrected or leave it for the time being?
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 14:12   #5874
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, was thinking of upgrading my 4 year old DBC to Infinia but wanted to check something first:

Have a lot of international travel coming up in North America and Europe with longish layovers, and a high end airport lounge would be great. Strictly from this perspective only, which is better?

DBC itself gets you entry into a huge number of lounges, but Infinia has a tie-up with Priority Pass only. Are the PP lounges greater in number and what is the general acceptance?
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 14:16   #5875
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Guys, can you pls check how much surcharge is there for fuel purchases ?

I know card companies give a credit on the surcharge, but despite the credit, I found I am still paying an additional 2.5%. This is when I compare:

Bill vs charge on CC - credit of the surcharge.

Quote:
My HDFC card charges 1%+tax. The 1% is reversed the next day but not the tax part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Amex charges 1% + GST at most petrol pumps, but no charge in Indian Oil COCO pumps - they have a list of pumps where there is no charge.
Difficult to keep track of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Other banks like HDFC reverse only surcharge, but not GST.

But all banks have a range like 500-4000 or 3000 with in that range surcharge is reversed. Above that surcharge is levied.
Guys, thanks for the responses to my earlier query. After tracking a bit, understtod that the reason is as stated by Ravindran. I am pretty much losing on at least one litre of fuel per filling due to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
But if you swipe your CC in other bank POS machine, the acquiring bank can levy surcharge and it may be 2.5%. This will not reflect separately as line item in your statement but included in the main amount and hence there will be difference between charge slip and billed value in statement. This is the reason most banks ask you to use their own POS machine.
Old 19th October 2022, 14:54   #5876
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After tracking a bit, understtod that the reason is as stated by Ravindran. I am pretty much losing on at least one litre of fuel per filling due to this:
That's a lot to lose on each filling. Depends on which card you use and where you fill.

This is the general rule that i follow:
1. Any HPCL pump which accepts Amex - Use Amex GC. No surcharge.
2. Any IOC pump listed in Citibank website (mostly COCO) - Use Citibank card. Either no surcharge is collected or it's refunded if you stick to pumps mentioned in the list. Haven't encountered the scenario mentioned by thanixravindran yet.
3. Any other PSU pump - Use HDFC Infinia (previously was using Regalia). Surcharge expect for tax is refunded.
4. I don't fill in private bunks (Shell, Reliance etc).
5. Once i have identified pumps where rule 1&2 work, i try to stick to those always.

Most cards have limits on how much surcharge is reversed in a given month or each transaction. Example - I think Amex charges surcharge on fillings above 5,000 even on HPCL. Doesn't matter to me as i don't exceed 5,000 in a single filling.

Last edited by SilentEngine : 19th October 2022 at 14:56.
Old 19th October 2022, 15:01   #5877
BHPian

For fuel payments, none of the cards will give you points unless you have a fuel card. Its only the surcharge which is reversed if any but not the tax part. My current fuel consumption per month is close to Rs. 10000 split between 2 vehicles.

I am close to applying for a fuel credit card which which will give me points and at the end of the year free fuel with the points !
bharanidharang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 16:34   #5878
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
That's a lot to lose on each filling. Depends on which card you use and where you fill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
I am close to applying for a fuel credit card which which will give me points and at the end of the year free fuel with the points !
True. I stick to IOCL most of the time, unless there is a Reliance bunk. I dont want to add to the number of cards I have. Not many options in this situation for me.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 17:21   #5879
BHPian

Quote:
True. I stick to IOCL most of the time, unless there is a Reliance bunk. I dont want to add to the number of cards I have. Not many options in this situation for me.
Why dont you check for an IOCL credit card. While I agree on keeping limited cards, it could be useful for you to choose a fuel credit card and use it only for that and it will pay for itself over a 12 month period.
Old 20th October 2022, 10:22   #5880
SGK
BHPian

All,

Quick query on Amex rewards points, I used to recharge my Amazon pay wallet for (4*1500 Rs) every month to get the required 1000 points and now I don't see that option in Amazon pay to recharge the wallet via any CC? What are the options available to get this 1000 points?

I am not keen on using Amex card for my regular spends as I have ICICI Amazon pay which gives better VFM.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks