Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2011, 16:28   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Overdrive Magazine plagiarizes my Travelogue (now resolved!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
SS, this article has been doctored nicely by OD team. Goodyear have no idea about this. They're not going to check if Tanvir was actually using Goodyear or not.
True that Goodyear have no idea about this. Still, it can't hurt to let them know that their name is being put in places where it does not belong by OD, and is going to be dragged into a legal matter, thanks to OD. If nothing else, it will put extra pressure on OD (assuming they will not want to lose the ad revenue from Goodyear).
Old 1st April 2011, 16:35   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Goodyear have no idea about this.
Possibly true, Rudra-da, but since the article appears to be one sponsored by Goodyear (and which is why OD doctored the wording to include the bit about GY tyres - most likely on GY instructions), I would be inclined to say that Goodyear is responsible too. Let GY's legal dept. work overtime to prove that they are not a party to this plagiarization.
Old 1st April 2011, 16:41   #33
Team-BHP Support

SS, I agree with you on the steps you suggested. If GY know about this and a party to this plagiarization.. Yes, they've lot answer and probably in many ways..
Old 1st April 2011, 16:42   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am shocked. They have even mentioned that I use GoodYear Tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
... Tanveer's never been on Goodyear tyres, nor mentioned anything of the sort...
HOLY SMOKES

Please mention this in the first post!!

cya
R
Old 1st April 2011, 16:43   #35
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Possibly true, Rudra-da, but since the article appears to be one sponsored by Goodyear (and which is why OD doctored the wording to include the bit about GY tyres - most likely on GY instructions), I would be inclined to say that Goodyear is responsible too. Let GY's legal dept. work overtime to prove that they are not a party to this plagiarization.
I think the sponsors PR deptt approves the content before it is being published. They are also a party to this plagiarization.
certainly this is a clear case of IPR Violation.
Tanveer dont leave OD walk Scott free with an appology which these guys do usually. Ask for compensation and and ask them to publish a correction in next publication.

Also post on there FB link. We all will support. Let the world know about it.

Last edited by v&v : 1st April 2011 at 16:55.
Old 1st April 2011, 16:52   #36
BHPian

Also mention this on twitter. The Overdrive account on twitter seems to be @ODMag. Hope everyone who reads this thread, posts on Overdrive's Twitter and Facebook pages and let them know that this article has been unfairly plagiarized.
Old 1st April 2011, 16:55   #37
Senior - BHPian

This is such a shame.

What they should do:
  • An apology to TSK and Team-Bhp published in their magazine.
  • A huge compensation to TSK for using his pictures and words.
  • Sack their employee who is responsible for this.
Before discovering Team-Bhp, I used to regularly buy auto magazines. But have not even looked at one for a few years now.
Old 1st April 2011, 17:01   #38
Senior - BHPian

Look at the section under which it has been published. I doubt if OD will take responsibility.

From a public forum, anyone could have taken the content and images and send them to OD saying it is their own travel story. OD will only take responsibility for improper authentication process, for which also there will be a "we did our standard check and it checked out" liner.

The only way forward, IMO, will be to go against the person, that "Tanveer Singh", who send in the article claiming it was his. This information needs to be forced out of OD, if it serves any purpose.

EDIT:

TSK - here is proof that your write up are 'professional(!) magazine' materials! You need to be flattered by this!

Last edited by HappyWheels : 1st April 2011 at 17:06.
Old 1st April 2011, 17:03   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

This sucks. Overdrive is an auto magazine of some repute- why stoop to such levels? Don't they have enough syndicated content that they need to lift stuff off a website now?

Tanveer- don't email them. Call up their managing editor and fix an appointment then explain it to yourself. Possible that even they don't know what the hell is going on. Like someone said, it may be that a hack with a deadline chose the easy way out.

May I also remind you of the things you are likely to hear?
  • "Sir, we gave you credit and got your article published in a national magazine with XXXX readers. Why are you complaining?"
  • "It's obvious you yourself are a reader, otherwise you would not even have found out about it. Come on!"
  • "Be a sport! These things happen"
  • "The Goodyear reference was a copy error. We will print a retraction in an issue 2 months from now in a small corner on the letters page where noboy will see it. Happy?"
  • "We can pay you what we pay our regular contributor (enter piddly amount of choice here). Compensation for what? You're famous! Enjoy it."
  • "We *did* send you notice of impending publication with the clause that you are deemed to agree if you don't respond within XX days. You should have replied."
  • "You should be happy that a writer of your inferior skills even got published in Overdrive. Do you know how much editing we had to do to get it in shape for publication? Go ahead, sue us and see..."
Seriously, sue them dude. This is a low blow. Proof if more were needed that in India there is absolutely no respect for intellectual property rights.
Old 1st April 2011, 17:15   #40
Senior - BHPian

This is disgusting. The way these magazines stoop to get some good matter.

I have shared the link of this thread in my twitter and facebook profiles - let the world know that OD thrives on plagiarism.

Edit: Is it a good idea to post the link of this thread at OverDriver's facebook page and notify overdrive (@odmag ) at twitter?

Last edited by theexperthand : 1st April 2011 at 17:25.
Old 1st April 2011, 17:19   #41
BHPian

I think it is time TBHP puts up some security features on the TBHP forum/site. Things like - blocking right click, copyright message popup on using CTRL+C, stop allowing saving of the images on to local PC etc.

These might cause minor inconvenience to the genuine members but can be efficient deterrents to such copyright violations.

Mods - this is definitely doable. What's your take?
Old 1st April 2011, 17:22   #42
Senior - BHPian

Sue Them! Both Goodyear & Overdrive need to take responsibility.

I am going share the link to this thread on my FB account and make sure the full credit of the travelogue comes to you.

Good Luck mate!
Old 1st April 2011, 17:28   #43
BHPian

May be slightly but Is boycotting OD by Team-BHP members an option. I don't think subscribe to one but sure a lot many do and they will be the best judge and offcourse it doesn't guarantee that everyone will finally do it. I just feel TBHP community will be a big readership base and the fact that the boycott might get public attention is sure to teach something to OD.
Old 1st April 2011, 17:32   #44
BHPian

I have never liked OD and what they have done is disgusting.

I think you should walk into their premises and demand to see people who are responsible.

Sue them and demand compensation. Set an example and make them shell some “big mullah”

Upfront, commit a percentage for “Tanveer Singh paid Team BHP meet at Noida"
Old 1st April 2011, 17:40   #45
BHPian

Disgusting ethics shown by OD.

In addition to FB, Twitter as suggested by fellow BHPians, I think you should also talk to CBNC and CNN IBN about such unprofessional-ism shown by OD as both these channels are associate with OD for their weekly program.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks