Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2011, 13:58   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Overdrive Magazine plagiarizes my Travelogue (now resolved!)

Overdrive magazine deleting posts of TBHP members on its Facebook page is very disturbing. It implies that they know what is going on and are covering it up. I haven't read much of it since joining TBHP but somehow the printed magazine format has a charm of its own. No longer will I look at OD the same way after this!
Old 5th April 2011, 14:07   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post
Those lamers have even removed me from the Overdrive community on Facebook because I kept posting about this issue there. Now I can't join back and even when I try to "Like" their page, I can't see comment on their wall or discussions page. What a bunch of jerks. I so want to kick them in their nuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Overdrive magazine deleting posts of TBHP members on its Facebook page is very disturbing. It implies that they know what is going on and are covering it up. I haven't read much of it since joining TBHP but somehow the printed magazine format has a charm of its own. No longer will I look at OD the same way after this!
Same here. They've blocked me too, I am not able to post anything on their community page . I am not even expecting reply from the editor. They are a bunch of shameless creatures.
Old 5th April 2011, 14:14   #138
Senior - BHPian

@Tanveer: Like i said on the other forum. Why not try and get the rival mags involved in this to take your support? They'll be more than happy to go against their competitor.
Old 5th April 2011, 14:17   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What a shocker. Didn't know that respectable (ahem!) magazines did this.
Trust me ,this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Hope the people responsible for this learn their lesson soon.
Old 5th April 2011, 22:30   #140
BHPian

count me in too. In my previous post I already updated that why cant we have something like flickr.

one, I would request all members to have their photos with visible watermark.
second, Team-BHP should do something similar to flickr where noone can download the pics

with watermarks across the pics, it will be of no use to publish and with disclaimers from T-BHP, it would be easy to file a complaint.

Last edited by GTO : 6th April 2011 at 10:14. Reason: Quoted post is on its way to deletion
Old 5th April 2011, 22:32   #141
Team-BHP Support

@ Godfather : I don't understand. From a forum standpoint, the thread itself is started by a moderator and enough other mods have participated in it.

Why must one particular Mod necessarily have to mark his presence on it to reinforce the forum's commitment to posted content?

Last edited by GTO : 6th April 2011 at 12:39. Reason: Removing quoted post which has been deleted
Old 5th April 2011, 23:20   #142
Senior - BHPian

I hope that this saga ends on a good note. Praying OD and Goodyear end up paying fat damages to Tanveer. And that it becomes a lesson to all the would be copycats.

An example has to be made out of this. If there is any help you need just let me know. Will do all I can.

I am thinking of starting a "Overdrive Plagiarizes" community on orkut. All can join. They can delete comments on FB, but they cannot bribe google to "not list" this when someone searches for the Overdrive community on orkut.
Old 6th April 2011, 00:52   #143
BHPian

I have sent a short mail to 861 of my email contacts depicting this incident.

I urge all members to do the same so that the bunch of liars will not repeat it.

Unfortunately i used to buy OD during train journeys when TBHP is not accessible.

I really used to think that some of the articles by Mr. B D'S made no sense, now i realize why. No writing talent + Bad in copy/paste!
Old 6th April 2011, 01:08   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am shocked. They have even mentioned that I use GoodYear Tires. I guess that is backdoor marketing, and that makes them a party to the dispute.
Thanks for your suggestions.

1. I am going to mail to them and ask for compensation
2. If they behave like many such large groups behave, then I will be sending them a legal notice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Thanks everyone!
There are two issues here
1. Lifting of traveogue and pictures and using it commercially.
2. Using me as a brand ambassador for Goodyear tires without my consent
I will not give up even if they try to browbeat me.
Hi tsk, hope you do get justice. Do hang in there no matter how long it takes. And we the fellow members of team-bhp should do our bit to spread the word by using our personal FB, twitter, Orkut pages.

I normally am an Autocar reader, i get one copy every month. But for some reason this month Autocar hit the stands of siliguri late so when i went to the mag store i only saw overdrive so picked it with the hope of picking autocar in a few days.

After going through the mag i came to the "GoodYear advertisement" and since i had just read tsk's travelogue a few days earlier i instantly recognized the pics and the first few opening lines. So wrote to congratulate him on his achievement not knowing the true story behind it.

This is a clear case of OD mag trying to save costs and increase profits. Instead of paying for stories or having the staff actually go on such trips, they stole from unsuspecting people. On top of that they had the nerve to proclaim that these individuals use certain products (in this case GoodYear).

To be fair i feel GoodYear may not be aware of this and if they were made aware i am sure they would end all association with OD.

So lets all do our bid to publicize this serious issue and try and make mags think twice before they attempt such a cheap act.
Old 6th April 2011, 08:10   #145
Senior - BHPian

How about a short Youtube video about the incident - with a narration and some magazine scans etc which can then go viral!
Old 6th April 2011, 09:36   #146
Senior - BHPian

Please realize that other mags will not easily agree to shaming OD because they have the same talent pool - surely each of them would've had such instances. Heck, I know of a mainstream newspaper filching a guy's pics courtesy a journo friend of his!

The only pressure will be mounted by us online and a promise to avoid OD for a while. Even if their numbers drop by a few hundred, they will see.
Old 6th April 2011, 09:56   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

@tsk1979 : Its been few days since you posted this thread but after that there is complete silence from your side. What gives?
Old 6th April 2011, 10:15   #148
Senior - BHPian

After Adil and Yogendra ,OD is one pathetic magazine to read.I dont even bother to look at it .

And looking at OD's content these days.its not surprising that they had to include Tanveer's travelogue to have something interesting in the magazine.
Old 6th April 2011, 10:26   #149
Team-BHP Support

Well, things are going on behind the scenes.
AS I mentioned earlier, this is not only a case of overdrive lifting my text and content, but also a case of using my name for Goodyear endorsement. As all of you know, I am in no way associated with Goodyear, and do not use their tires on the safari.

But unfortunately, I have drawn a blank wall with "contact us" etc., for both Network 18(Overdrive's parent) and Goodyear.

If I can have email ids of some senior marketing and media personnel for both these, it would be great.
Old 6th April 2011, 10:30   #150
BHPian

Tanveer, you can tweet Rajdeep Sardesia (@sardesairajdeep) this link and set up a communication channel with him.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks