Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2013, 12:00   #1561
BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

I passed that stretch thrice today

1) At 8 in the morning while going towards univ. they had blocked going around the circle and were asking to go wrong side of the circle. Since hardly any traffiic at that time, not a issue
2) When returned back in 15 min, people were allowed to go around the circle
3) At 9:15 , traffic was slow moving.

Surprising part is the stuff for paving has been lying there in last week of December and the authorities woke up now. What they intend to achieve by just tarring around the circle no one know. Seems to be waste of tax payers money
Old 18th January 2013, 13:03   #1562
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post

Hey, I too passed exactly at 9:15am! Maybe we passed each other. Did you see a black Roadking with a white racing stripe on the tank?
And yes, it was moving by then, but thats when the fun starts! Everyone standing still isn't a circus, is it?

It looks like they're paving the road. Some work is already done on the west side of the circle but its patchy and extremely shoddy. Well, surprise surprise!
Passed the junction at 9.30, people were taking the wrong side of the circle, going anti-clockwise.
Old 18th January 2013, 14:02   #1563
Senior - BHPian

^Maybe they are preparing fellow commuters to drive in Europe/USA then
No, seriously, whats with the haphazard work everywhere?
Are some kind of elections near?
Old 18th January 2013, 14:34   #1564
BHPian

I have to pass the stretch twice daily and it has started to become a pain; less due to the random work going on, more due to the morons who take U turns and block traffic.
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:13   #1565
Senior - BHPian

On Nagar road, the rightmost lane (heading towards Wagholi) is being earmarked for some development at/ near the Hyatt and Inorbit signals.

I was dreading another set of flyovers, but whatever structure has been put up seems to be smaller. Is this work related to the Metro project? Even so, the pillars seem to be quite thin!

So I might still see a metro line in Pune before I retire. When will this be done for the Hinjewadi stretch?
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:34   #1566
Senior - BHPian

Seems a major accident happened at Hotel Rajwada chowk. I saw people putting a body (Dont know if the poor soul is alive/dead) into the ambulance. That place is becoming a death trap day by day.
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:42   #1567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Seems a major accident happened at Hotel Rajwada chowk. I saw people putting a body (Dont know if the poor soul is alive/dead) into the ambulance. That place is becoming a death trap day by day.
Is this the accident on Baner Road just a little while ago? In that case, the poor soul was very dead, looked like a really nasty head injury. Maybe a hit&run case.
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:47   #1568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Is this the accident on Baner Road just a little while ago? In that case, the poor soul was very dead, looked like a really nasty head injury. Maybe a hit&run case.
Yeh, must have happened a while ago. May his/her soul rest in Peace. Felt so sad looking at people putting a body in the ambulance. Why on earth Accidents happen :(
Old 23rd January 2013, 12:23   #1569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Is this work related to the Metro project? Even so, the pillars seem to be quite thin!

So I might still see a metro line in Pune before I retire. When will this be done for the Hinjewadi stretch?
Pune Metro is still on the drawing boards. What you saw is a BRTS bus stop worth 30-lakh-rupee each! Soon you will see a new path demarcated by high-dividers in the middle of this road which will be used exclusively by the BRTS buses (and ofcourse by the Guntha-Mantris' MH-14 Scorpios and Fortuners) After the BRTS is operational you can expect the following:
  1. Loads of people randomly crossing the roads to reach to-and-from these bus stops located right in the middle of the main roads.
  2. Entire traffic, except for the rare BRTS buses, will be squeezed in the remainder of the road.
  3. Longer waiting time at the traffic signals.
  4. Since these new dividers will (obviously) not be marked by any reflectors or warning lights, expect lot of vehicles crashed in to these dividers.
After the spectacular failure of BRTS at Swargate which resulted only in chaos, they are re-doing it on this side of the city. Why? Well, there is a approved budget! The authorities have decided to screw up all wide roads in Pune by adding a lane for BRTS in the middle of these roads. Check out Alandi road, Bombay Sappers, Airport, etc.

IMO Flyover is a much better option.
Old 23rd January 2013, 13:37   #1570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtorque View Post
Pune Metro is still on the drawing boards. What you saw is a BRTS bus stop worth 30-lakh-rupee each!
Why is a BRTS route being built on a road for which the first metro route is being planned?

In any case I dont see too many buses on that route. So why block an entire lane for them?

And one bus stop is worth 30 lakhs?!
Old 23rd January 2013, 14:33   #1571
Senior - BHPian

Nagar road has become narrower in the last few months. First there was the gas pipeline work around Shastri Nagar chowk and now the BRTS stops. There will be some bottle necks for sure. Since this is my daily route, I am already seeing some slow downs near the construction sites.

I don't know what happens when (and if) metro work starts on the same road.
Old 24th January 2013, 17:32   #1572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Agree with you on the death trap part, last Saturday while coming driving towards Baner, a water tanker came speeding out of the Rajwada lane without bothering to stop or check traffic movement. The car in front of me was missed by a whisker. I don't understand why such maniac tanker drivers are given license to drive on the road.

Read in today's newspaper that the person who died in the accident yesterday, came under a water tanker.
Old 24th January 2013, 17:37   #1573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
Agree with you on the death trap part, last Saturday while coming driving towards Baner, a water tanker came speeding out of the Rajwada lane without bothering to stop or check traffic movement. The car in front of me was missed by a whisker. I don't understand why such maniac tanker drivers are given license to drive on the road.

Read in today's newspaper that the person who died in the accident yesterday, came under a water tanker.
Yeh a 22 years old MCA student going for an interview came under the tanker when that moron suddenly decided to take a left turn to go towards hotel Rajwada.
Old 24th January 2013, 17:53   #1574
Senior - BHPian

^Most of the tankers are owned by local corporaters. So, it is obvious that the drivers of such tankers give a rats bottom for traffic and discipline.
Do these drivers even have a license? When was the last time you saw a tanker being held by the cops for license checking/or any other offense?

Poor chap, passed on for no fault of his. May his sould RIP.
Old 24th January 2013, 17:59   #1575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Poor chap, passed on for no fault of his. May his sould RIP.
The last we'll hear of the driver is "Tanker driver fled the spot."
Nothing about the owner/operator of the thing. Case (is it even booked?) will just languish in some tattered police register. Tanker driver climbs into another killing machine to continue his stunts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks