Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2012, 13:46   #811
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
My dear friend the whole incident sounded good but I must say you escaped a potential dent or scratch from that biker which is good. But if it would have been than unfortunate scene you would have cursed yourself to no end for knowingly getting into it.
Yes sir, agreed. But as I mentioned, he had already 'touched' my car twice before I cornered him. So, on the contrary I did not do anything. This was one of those rare incidences where you lose your cool. I lost mine, but without opening my mouth.

EDIT: If my car had been dented or scratched, I would have reported this in some other thread. :-)

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 13th January 2012 at 13:47.
Old 13th January 2012, 14:09   #812
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ But why did the moron "touch" your car in the first place? Be a little careful- have heard of instances where bikers provoke you to make you stop and get into an argument and when you try to rob or carjack you. Doesn't seem likely in the area you have described which is fully residential but be careful anyway!
Old 13th January 2012, 14:20   #813
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Speaking of speed breakers, they have added a couple on the ends of the newly opened flyover near Yerwada. Just to slow you down at the end of the bridge. Expect that speed breaker to turn into gravel soon.
Now that the circle system has been around for about a month since inception, we can safely say that it has been a success. Traffic flow is good at all times of the day. The criss-crossing takes a little expertise, but we Puneris are god-gifted in this aspect anyways.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 14:22   #814
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Agreed Anoop. As I said, this was a one off scenario where I got carried away. When I meant he touched my Vista twice, it was like he was 1/100 of a MM from my car, which could have been a touch easily. Did not see any marks, so it was fine. This moron did not look like the ones who are out to provoke you or cause damage. But, yes, I should avoid such things.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 13th January 2012 at 14:24.
Old 13th January 2012, 15:11   #815
Senior - BHPian

On my usual 930 am ride, I am usually accompanied by Santros, Wagon Rs, i10/20s, Citys and the odd Laura/ Civic. Well you get the drift.
This morning, I came in to work later than usual. Around 11am.
And all I could see were Beemers, Audis and even a Jaguar. What is it with the time? Is it commute time for builders/ top honchos?
Do you notice different cars when you drive at different times? Though I dont expect anything drastically different in HJW. Says a lot about our majdoori/ majboori?!

Oh, I did drool the most over the HR registered convertible (BMW 645 ci) that appeared out of Swanand's lane.

Last edited by selfdrive : 13th January 2012 at 15:12.
Old 13th January 2012, 19:34   #816
BHPian

I was waiting for signal to turn green at Vetal baba chowk (S.B.Road). The signal on the opposite side turned green and a lady driving a Santro started as if she was in a drag race. To top this up, she was combing her hair by one hand and (thankfully!) holding the steering with other.

There was a time when these lows in civic/driving sense used to amaze me, not any more!
Old 13th January 2012, 21:42   #817
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
And all I could see were Beemers, Audis and even a Jaguar.
Beemers, Audis and Mercs have become so common in Pune that no one even gives them a second look these days. I tend to spot a different Jag or a Bentley every now and then. Initially these spottings were exciting, not any more. What to do?
Old 14th January 2012, 07:18   #818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Beemers, Audis and Mercs have become so common in Pune that no one even gives them a second look these days. I tend to spot a different Jag or a Bentley every now and then. Initially these spottings were exciting, not any more. What to do?
lol. dotty, I guess even I dont pay too much attention otherwise. Just noted there was a marked difference in the type of cars being driven around at 930 and 1100. Never see these emers etc at 930 am.
nevertheless, that isnt really a report or a route query so we might as well return to ranting about others
Old 14th January 2012, 13:57   #819
dot
Senior - BHPian

^ To add, spotted a Jaguar while parking during the weekend grocery trip, couple of hours ago.

Didnt even look at it second time.
Old 14th January 2012, 17:54   #820
Senior - BHPian

Learning to drive/ride at Chandigarh had always been considered to be a boon by me. The well organised and law abiding traffic made me feel comfortable when driving/riding at different parts of the country. The disclipline that the city taught me prevented me from following the herd and acting like them, even at places with pretty bad traffic. Suddenly, I feel there is a bad side of being too disciplined. Has been more than 3 months since I have been riding in Pune and till date I must hot have had come across more than a dozen drivers/riders who DO NOT use high been unnecessarily. It baffles me to see almost everyone not aware of this very basic traffic etiquete. I wonder if the high bean is being used on a regular basis, is the normal beam being put to use as pilot lights? I so wish I had grown learning to drive/ride here in Pune instead. That way, maybe I would have been used to this strange phenomenon and these stupid road users would not had blinded me with their high beams.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2012, 20:02   #821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^ To add, spotted a Jaguar while parking during the weekend grocery trip, couple of hours ago.

I think more people would glance at a Nano than a Jag. Now I feel better that I didnt buy that Jag
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2012, 21:08   #822
BHPian

Pre Election times are good for the citizen – the entire stretch of ~05 kms from Mundhwa till Nagar road is suddenly a 3+3=6 lane road and the travel time is now half of what was even 2 months back (this road construction was going on for the last ~3yrs but they made more progress in the last 04 months compared to the previous few years). The 04 lane road construction (behind Magarpatta City campus and parallel to the Hadapsar Industrial Area, once complete the roads will probably connect to NH9 somewhere near Croma) which was W.I.P. status for the past few years suddenly picked up pace and construction work is going on till 09pm on week days. Going by this logic, the next infrastructure upgrade will take place in another few years time before the next election :(

Quote:
Not sure where you spotted this Jaguar, just to share - I have seen a Jaguar with rgn. no. as one @Inorbit 3-4 days, probably some celebrity, don't know, but this car will park in a way at the drop-off point that there is no space left for other car to pass, the personal security will come out and open the rear door and car`s occupants will come out of the car taking their own time and then this big Jaguar will slowly proceed to the underground parking complex. The poor Mall security guards are probably afraid to ask the Jaguar to not stop the car blocking the entire way... seeing the big car/personal security guards etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I think more people would glance at a Nano than a Jag. Now I feel better that I didnt buy that Jag
@Selfdrive - Try doing the same as did the Jaguar with your cute little Nano and see how the Mall security guards blows whistle and rush towards you requesting you to proceed forward without blocking the way , kidding mate !

Last edited by AvonA7 : 14th January 2012 at 21:30. Reason: edit ...
Old 14th January 2012, 21:54   #823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre
Took his Red beacon Gypsy and went back with the docs. The look on the face of the cops, priceless! Needless to say, without flexing too many muscles, he got back his license but he did show all papers required. When I asked him why he took the Gypsy, he said, "my bike was almost out of fuel".
Hey kiran,

That is exactly what I felt like when my younger brother (he's ex IAF now) used to tell me whenever the 'pandus' in Pune used to pull him over for something or the other!

This experience of yours should go in the Lifes like that - anecdotes thread. Please do post it there also.

Cheers
Old 15th January 2012, 11:10   #824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Has been more than 3 months since I have been riding in Pune and till date I must hot have had come across more than a dozen drivers/riders who DO NOT use high been unnecessarily. It baffles me to see almost everyone not aware of this very basic traffic etiquete.
+1 to that. Just last week when my friend wanted to park his Swift near the office building as it was growing dark & I had accompanied him, the first thing I noted when he started his car & switched on the head lights was that they were on upper beam. This meant that the night before he was driving to glory with his high beam. The first thing I told him to do is to switch over to the dipper & he immediately obliged. Not that he is fond of blinding the oncoming traffic but out of sheer ignorance he never bothers to check if he is running on his high or low beam. Now if this is the level of a well educated, traffic rule abiding person, I cannot even imagine the level of all those morons who don't care a damn for other road users.
Old 16th January 2012, 10:06   #825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
I have seen a Jaguar with rgn. no. as one @Inorbit 3-4 days, probably some celebrity, don't know, but this car will park in a way at the drop-off point that there is no space left for other car to pass,

@Selfdrive - Try doing the same as did the Jaguar with your cute little Nano and see how the Mall security guards blows whistle and rush towards you requesting you to proceed forward without blocking the way , kidding mate !
Hit them where it hurts! I should take my Nano and scrape the Jag across its length while it waits there. Aah, but we cannot bear to see any car in that state, can we? And least of all my Nano,

Unfortunately these days a lot of people have inflated egos and opinions of themselves. I dont understand why this should happen just because someone is better at making money than others. And just because they can make money or are scheming enough to marry someone with a lot of money, doesnt mean they have the right to take others for granted. And bro, this is not limited to people in Jags, I have seen people throwing attitude regardless of the vehicle they travel in; just more likely coming from those with bigger egos. I hope there were more people around to cut them to size.
Humility and modesty seem to be a rare commodity in these times

Last edited by selfdrive : 16th January 2012 at 10:11.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks