Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2011, 11:14   #511
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Last evening, while going home, I spent a good 2 hours on the bypass. Reason? Two accidents on the south bound road. One was near Mahindra First Choice, where a Tata Ace (or something like that) had rear ended an Innova. Major jam due to that.

The second one was just after the Chandani Chowk exit, where two dumpers broke down one behind the other.

There was another broken down dumper on the north bound road, near Lalani Quantum too. So, traffic was crawling all along the bypass.

Seemed like a day of breakdowns.
Old 22nd November 2011, 12:14   #512
Senior - BHPian

On Diwali day we had gone to Sarasbaug temple where someone was distributing small photo sized pamphlets. These had a caricature by Mangesh Tendulkar depicting 8 pedestrians on a zebra crossing with this comment:
'Aaj paryanta aamha sarvaana rastyaa var jivanta thevleyt ya baddal samasta vaahan chaalakaanna dhanyavaad! aamchyaavarcha lobh (not sure if this is laabh) asaach kaayam theva. tumhaala aani tumchyaa kutumbiyaana aamchyaa shubheccha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
They'll take a left and go via the new bridge. Kind of a detour. Similarly, traffic coming from Nagar will make a left at Yerwada, Right at Bund Garden and then again right onto the new bridge to head towards Bombay Sappers / Holkar bridge. This is what I think the setup would be like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Yes, a circular system at this triple bridge - multi junction area will be very useful. In that case, I wonder if traffic coming from KP will go straight to Yerwada or take a left and then right through the new bridge.
To arrive at my office from Wadia college, I now take a uturn near Sun n Sand. Will this still be allowed or will I have to take that turn over two bridges?
Again if this is implemented after Christmas I am not impacted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Not sure if this is still needed, but while coming from FC road, take the Agri college route > underpass at old Bom-Pune hwy and right onto old Shoppers Stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
I'm not sure how and where will it lead to the airport road while bypassing the sancheti chowk-coep-sangam bridge-bund garden road. Thanks in advance!
Monaro, not sure if that underpass is tall enough for the truck. It may very well be, just that I am not sure!
You could also take a left turn at Gunjan 'talkies' for the airport. But after my incident there, I recommend the route suggested by Vikram.

Last edited by selfdrive : 22nd November 2011 at 12:29.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2011, 12:51   #513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The second one was just after the Chandani Chowk exit, where two dumpers broke down one behind the other.

There was another broken down dumper on the north bound road, near Lalani Quantum too. So, traffic was crawling all along the bypass.

Seemed like a day of breakdowns.
Add one more to that on the same spot, just after crossing Chandni Chowk overbridge, going towards Warje, there was a pile up of 4 cars. This happened @ 10:45 yesterday morning. An Indica rear ended by a Tavera, Tavera rear ended by a Xylo & the Xylo by a Ritz (all white cars, Indica being a cab). One of the car's (Tavera or Xylo) radiator was ruptured & lot on coolant flowing on the road. Fortunately this happened on the rightmost lane near the divider & the traffic coming from back could easily pass through the left side. Good point was that none of the accident victims were seen quarreling or arguing, as it seemed to be everyone's fault. I believe all the rear vehicles were tailgating at high speed & they had to pay the price.

Sorry I couldn't get any pictures as I was at the wheel of my car.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 22nd November 2011 at 12:53.
Old 24th November 2011, 11:15   #514
Senior - BHPian

It happens again! Same stretch, same scenario.

Today morning, just after Chandani chowk overbridge, there was a series of rear endings that occured. A Beat braked hard and a company bus (Tata Marcopolo, or something like that), couldnt stop in time. Hit the Beat guy hard (to an extent, where the rear glass of the Beat got completely shattered). An Alto tailgating the bus rear ended it, and a biker tailgating the Alto, slammed into the rear bumper.

Good part, there was no physical injury to anyone involved. Another good part is, instead of arguing and creating a scene, all the occupants got down fom the respective vehicles and made sure that there is no traffic congestion (knowing its peak hour traffic). Kudos to their sane thinking.

EDIT: Damn, I feel like Ive become a reporter of sorts, this thread is full of me ranting about accidents on that stretch!

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 24th November 2011 at 11:18. Reason: Adding text.
Old 24th November 2011, 11:48   #515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
EDIT: Damn, I feel like Ive become a reporter of sorts, this thread is full of me ranting about accidents on that stretch!
yeah Swanand, you are our man on the beat!
speaking of which I observe there is a Beat involved in almost every pile up that I have heard of in the last 2 weeks. Does every second person buy one these days or do Beat owners find it difficult to estimate when to brake?
Old 24th November 2011, 13:57   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It happens again! Same stretch, same scenario.

Today morning, just after Chandani chowk overbridge, there was a series of rear endings that occured. A Beat braked hard and a company bus (Tata Marcopolo, or something like that), couldnt stop in time. Hit the Beat guy hard (to an extent, where the rear glass of the Beat got completely shattered). An Alto tailgating the bus rear ended it, and a biker tailgating the Alto, slammed into the rear bumper.
No doubt that stretch has become highly notorious for such type of accidents.

Quote:
Good part, there was no physical injury to anyone involved. Another good part is, instead of arguing and creating a scene, all the occupants got down fom the respective vehicles and made sure that there is no traffic congestion (knowing its peak hour traffic). Kudos to their sane thinking.!
Though I appreciate the sane thinking on part of those involved not to make any traffic congestion, it would have been saner not to get involved in such a pile-up in the first place. Don't know when people will follow some basic driving principles viz:
1. Never ever tailgate any vehicle (especially a bigger vehicle) which creates a massive blind spot behind it for smaller vehicles.
2. If it is unavoidable to follow a vehicle very closely, then do so only when the brake lamps of the vehicle in front of you are working, so that you are cautioned well in time.
3. If the brake lamps of the vehile in front are not working (usually in the case of trucks or city buses), increase (double) the distance between your car & the vehicle in front.
4. As you are prepared to tackle any situation arising due to some manouver by the vehicle in front of you, take due care of the vehicle following you. Don't let him/her tailgate you. Keep tapping the brakes (so that your brake lamps are lit) & the rear vehicle is cautioned.
5. Always keep a watch on the 3 RVMs & make sure no other vehicle is dangerously close to you. If yes then let him pass you.
6. Rear endings are often likely to happen at red lights/ crossings etc. Always slow down at such places. If you are going to stop at a red light, take your right hand outside the window, raise it high to warn the vehicles following you that you are going to stop & they need to slow down. This practice is effectively used by the Mumbai taxi drivers

Please add on if I may have missed out any other points.
Old 24th November 2011, 22:05   #517
BHPian

One Tight Slap!!

One tight slap, to those who created a ruckus on the streets today, which in-turn lead to huge traffic jams on Pune city streets, state highways, national highways, etc.; in-turn disrupting a daily routine. Such inconvenience for the pity souls who were just trying to reach home from a hard day's work..

One tight slap, to those who ransacked properties - public or private, for destroying something which was not (at all!) related to what they were on about!

One tight slap, to those who damaged private vehicles carrying innocent commuters; for damaging public transport vehicles, for making a joke out of the communal law!

Today, I was stuck at my office for 2 hours because all the roads leading out of the city were jammed - chockablock!

I failed to pick up my wife and kid (across the other end of the city), because the city had gone berserk - unsafe to travel !

And I thought this is the 21st century !!

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 24th November 2011 at 22:09.
Monaro CV8 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 10:56   #518
Senior - BHPian

^^Mate, very well said indeed. I still cant fathom the ruckus created by those involved. Their antics were not at all related to the incident that took place.
Why trouble innocent people and create more hatred towards those involved.

Today there's supposedly a 'Pune Bandh'. Why? Who the hell knows why? The incident took place in Delhi! Why should those in Pune suffer? Shops losing business, commuters facing hardships due to lack of public transport? Why?

All this for one man's ego?
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 11:00   #519
Senior - BHPian

^^ The mayor, of all people, has declared Pune bandh. The best way to protest against this bandh is carry on like its business as usual.
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 11:20   #520
BHPian

I can understand the opposition parties getting onto roads to protest something (Not that I support the ruckus on the roads.. but still), how the hell can the ruling party get onto the roads to protest something? The height is the mayor is calling a bandh in Pune city. He is supposed to ensure that the city is run properly and look at this guy!
Thank god no bad things have happened in Pune since morning but had the total city been closed down, I would have still loved to come to office to protest against the bandh!!
Old 25th November 2011, 12:23   #521
Senior - BHPian

yesterday, I picked up my friend and drove from phase 3 to e-square and had a nice dinner at stir fry only to celebrate!! Seriously!! What on earth is this?
Old 25th November 2011, 13:11   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Today, I was stuck at my office for 2 hours because all the roads leading out of the city were jammed - chockablock!

I failed to pick up my wife and kid (across the other end of the city), because the city had gone berserk - unsafe to travel !
Dude, NOM but this is when you should call any of us living around the area. If it was Kothrud/ Deccan/ Aundh, I could have easily traveled across

Quote:
Today there's supposedly a 'Pune Bandh'. Why? Who the hell knows why? The incident took place in Delhi! Why should those in Pune suffer? Shops losing business, commuters facing hardships due to lack of public transport? Why?
All this for one man's ego?
Around noon today, a couple of Swifts with a lots of taporis on bikes going around FC road area and closing the few open shops forcibly. Cannot discount the fact that the unfriendly local taporis may be rented/ outsourced for this event.
It is only a show of strength. But come on, nobody died!
What about the workers who live on daily wages? Are these guys going to compensate them for their losses? If industrial strikes are banned, why is this nonsense and goonda behaviour tolerated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
^^ The mayor, of all people, has declared Pune bandh. The best way to protest against this bandh is carry on like its business as usual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
yesterday, I picked up my friend and drove from phase 3 to e-square and had a nice dinner at stir fry only to celebrate!! Seriously!! What on earth is this?
I have been following my normal schedule and had no problems yet. Unfortunately, the banks and other businesses are closed which means that I am only driving around as a mark of protest.
Nice to drive in traffic of 15 years ago though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
The height is the mayor is calling a bandh in Pune city. He is supposed to ensure that the city is run properly and look at this guy!
Thank god no bad things have happened in Pune since morning but had the total city been closed down, I would have still loved to come to office to protest against the bandh!!
All of this also points to a big group of sycophants who are not interested in anything more than earning a brownie with their owner. Ego maniacs each and every one of them.

Last edited by selfdrive : 25th November 2011 at 13:13.
Old 25th November 2011, 13:32   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
I like this idea
Is the common man hurt after the slap? NO by any means.

I saw business as usual around Kalyaninagar area at least before noon, though traffic is not as much as it is on the other days.
Old 25th November 2011, 13:46   #524
Senior - BHPian

If anyone needs to work double, its the guy that was slapped and his chamchas! If they really wanted to prove a point, all the party workers would have been out on the streets and helped people carry on with business as normal. Afterall, the slap was for not doing any of the things they are supposed to do!

My point still remains, this is all an ego boost for one man!

In Hinjewadi, its business as usual though. Same's the case with surrounding areas. Thats surprising, as this area is known to be their home ground!
Old 25th November 2011, 13:54   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In Hinjewadi, its business as usual though. Same's the case with surrounding areas. Thats surprising, as this area is known to be their home ground!
Rightly said Swanand, these guys are not into anything creative. In fact I continue to be sceptical that they can do any good. Jisko kuch nahin aata woh politician ban jaata hai?

It looks like they are out of their home ground and working in town. I will keep an eye open for them when I return later today.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks