Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2012, 11:02   #1096
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Another accident on the bypass!

A truck went into the ditch in the median, opposite Mahindra First Choice, Bavdhan.
Half of the truck is in the ditch, while the left side is still hanging on the road.
That, has left ony one lane open on the bypass.
Old 22nd March 2012, 15:01   #1097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Another accident on the bypass!

A truck went into the ditch in the median, opposite Mahindra First Choice, Bavdhan.
Half of the truck is in the ditch, while the left side is still hanging on the road.
That, has left ony one lane open on the bypass.
I saw this truck yesterday evening. I was hoping that they would clear it by morning. But that did not happen. How much time does it take to remove a truck from a ditch? I don't think should be a major task.
Old 24th March 2012, 22:17   #1098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Hey, this is my daily route -route from EON to Yerwada . I travel around 6 PM, but yet to spot any wild life.
@S_U_N : you are lucky man ! Couple of weeks back I spotted the pair of Camel just in front of Honda Showroom near Viman Nagar at ~9:30pm on a weekday. And buffaloes are quite regular including Kharadi @near EON. May be I always keep an eye for them BTW didn't spot the elephant in the last few weeks, probably because of the rising temp, may be.

Nagar road towards Kalyani Nagar - This concrete slab approx. 03 ft in length is removed for two wheelers to take a short cut. People familiar with this road knows that there are NO street lights and especially at night this is an accident prone zone. Someone familiar will take precaution in maintaining a safe distance from the road dividers while driving others might be in for a big surprise !

Today I tried to move this piece of concrete slab to where it should be ... parked my car in the morning at 11:30am, waited for a good 05 minutes in the heat to cross the road thinking of moving this slab in its place. When reached the spot realized the slab is too heavy to be moved, tried with my foot - couldn't even move an inch, before I could bend down and try putting this concrete slab in place with my hand, an elderly gentleman came with his bike to take the short cut. Got into an argument and this gentleman was aged and my father's age. Failed to make him understand that this is dangerous and can cause serious accident. He was not in a mood to listen and in my part I misjudged the weight of the slab as its not possible for me to move it to the correct place .i.e. the road divider.

In short - better to maintain a safe distance ~05ft from road dividers in this part of the city.

The location @Nagar Road, and this is what people do -
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-image0620.jpg

This pic doesn't give the actual length of the slab as its taken from the wrong angle, the slab is big -
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-image0621.jpg

Last edited by AvonA7 : 24th March 2012 at 22:24. Reason: edit ...
Old 25th March 2012, 21:30   #1099
dot
Senior - BHPian

Saw a very neat incident yesterday evening.

Was coming from Camp towards Yerawada and was the first person on the Koregaon Park signal. We were waiting for the signal to turn green. Then we saw one police guy holding hands of a blind person and helped him cross the road, from the twin petrol bunk side to the Bund garden side. After crossing, he smiled and patted the blind person and let him go.

It does not end here.

As you know, all Pune drivers have no time to spare, so they will inch, inch by inch, as soon as they know that signal would turn green anytime. Same was happening when our police friend was helping the blind person to cross the road. So after he let the blind guy go, he turned around and started laughing at a Maruti 800 which was inching, fairly rapidly. He pointed at the red signal and made a sign which basically said, "why are you in so much hurry ?"

All inchers stopped on their tracks.

It was nice to see a little change.
dot is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 11:27   #1100
BHPian

Trafffic police were manning the signal at Bhardarkar road - law college road junction and the circle before this signal. This resulted in long queues on S.B.Road and Law college road. The S.B.Road queue stretched till Symbiosis.

Any idea as to why this was implemented?
Old 26th March 2012, 11:34   #1101
Senior - BHPian

Such incidents are indeed a rare occurance, Dotty. Glad that you could see something like this.

In my case, unfortunately, I spot only accidents. Yes! Even today, while driving to office, I happened to see an accident.

An i10 was heading towards Hinjewadi (presumably), when, right opposite the Balewadi main entrance, a not so smart alec decided to cross the road. Walking. No, make that merrily walking. Now, this i10 guy was trying to overtake a Trax (or the likes) and sudddenly that jaywalker comes right in front of him.

With no time to spare, the car guy braked, and braked hard. No point, as the car skidded and hit the jaywalker. This guy fell on the hood and smashed the windscreen! Now, as is the norm, every single "velha" on the road gathered around and started blaming the car guy.

Most of us stopped to help the i10 guy, as it clearly wasnt his fault! He even offered to take that injured moron to the hospital, on his personal expenses. This, when his bonnet had a huge dent, and windscreen was smashed.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 13:00   #1102
BHPian

Date: 23rd March 2012

Location: Prince of Wales Drive (stretch between Bhairobanalla and Officers Mess)

Time: between 11 am ~ 12pm

Protagonists: Mr A, Mr B and yours truly.

I was driving from the officers mess towards bhairobanala at a modest 60-70 kmph since the stretch of road was clear (and I hardly get to give 'Laura' some gas in city traffic), except for a lone biker, "Mr. A" (more about him later) ahead about 500 mtrs and another 2 bikers about 500 mtrs behind. Out of these two, there is "Mr. B" on a 80's Hero Honda CD100.

Now about Mr. A - He's a Dhobhi on his M80? with the whole bulk of his weekly 'to be done' laundry tied behind extending 3 ft on either side of his bike. The icing to this - he has his HELMET also tied up? on to this!

Suddenly out of the blue, in the midst of my pleasant cruising i see Mr.A's helmet flying off his bike in front and landing about 150 mtrs in front of me and rolling straight into my path!!!!

I swerved towards the right (luckily no traffic on the other side of the road) and braked to avoid the helmet but it really did want to come bang in the middle of my way and so with no other option braked hard!! 'Laura' being a stopper, stopped within feet of the headless helmet! A second later i hear sounds of a screech, a skid and in the fraction of a second when i can check my rear view I see Mr. B managing to stop just at Laura's right rear fender, nudging and rubbing her!

Now before i can ask him anything he rolls upto my door and starts yelling at me for the swerving and braking!!!! Wifey and kiddo being with me i try to explain the helmet incident (without blowing my fuse) and why his brakes weren't good enough, or why he just couldn't have just turned towards the left since he saw me a good distance away??? (now fuse blown!) since he hasn't stopped yelling at me!!!!!

This has to be the cracker -- Mr. A coolly stops his bike on the left hand side, walks up to his helmet, dusts it off, places it on his head and returns to his bike, starts it and is off (to his laundering?)!!!

Finally I just checked Laura and threatened Mr. B saying i would report him to the police, took his registration no. down, before he started his bike and fled too..

Old 26th March 2012, 13:09   #1103
Senior - BHPian

Poor i10 guy, had to bear the brunt for no fault of his. Good that you have him a helping hand.

Saw an accident today while coming to office on the Hadapsar flyover on the side going to Solapur. Sorry could not take any pictures as I was driving. One huge Trailer (16 wheels), had smashed the divider separating the service road, with 8 wheels hanging in the air. The driver cabin turned into a mangled lump of metal. Not sure @ the casualties, but might have happened early in the wee hours or late in the night yesterday. I guess the truck driver might have lost control on the descend of the flyover & rammed the middle divider first & then the service divider on the left. Anyone who get more info on this please post it over here.

Just now it struck me how the accident might have happened. This empty trailer might be at a speed of 80-90kmph. On the descend the second bridge joint has a slight undulation in the centre. If you go over this section at a speed greater than 40kmph you get air borne momentarily due to this undulation. The trucker if going @ 80kmph or more might have been air borne for quite some time. Obviously he would have lost his steering control & rammed the central divider first, the cabin took a nasty hit & then turned towards left overshooting the left divider. Thanks god the central divider is almost 5 feet high & more than 10 feet wide, else the trailer would have easily gone the other side of road resulting in head-on collision with oncoming vehicles. (This just reminded me the accident on Nigdi flyover, couple of months back where the tanker overshot the central divider & hit the oncoming Mercedes of the now deceased builder)

Last edited by AutoIndian : 26th March 2012 at 13:33. Reason: Probable cause of accident added
Old 26th March 2012, 13:45   #1104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
In my case, unfortunately, I spot only accidents. Yes! Even today, while driving to office, I happened to see an accident.
Swanand, let us know your office timings please, atleast we bhpians will stay away from those time slots in morning and evening, lest

Jokes apart, kudos to you and other for helping out the i10 guy - a gesture. Hope all of us follow that protocol rather than ignore.
rahul_sinha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 16:07   #1105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi_k View Post
Trafffic police were manning the signal at Bhardarkar road - law college road junction and the circle before this signal. This resulted in long queues on S.B.Road and Law college road. The S.B.Road queue stretched till Symbiosis.

Any idea as to why this was implemented?
I heard on Radio Mirchi that on Law College road a bus rammed onto a divider and that caused traffic on Law College road go havoc.
Figopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 18:12   #1106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
Date: 23rd March 2012

Now before i can ask him anything he rolls upto my door and starts yelling at me for the swerving and braking!!!! Wifey and kiddo being with me i try to explain the helmet incident (without blowing my fuse) and why his brakes weren't good enough, or why he just couldn't have just turned towards the left since he saw me a good distance away??? (now fuse blown!) since he hasn't stopped yelling at me!!!!!
I am sorry for perhaps not understanding your scenario, but it looks to me that you had more concern to the useless helmet than the person coming behind you at speed. If he is braking and coming to a halt a second later, he must have been speeding and you can't expect skoda brakes in bikes.

Please keep your eyes on the rear view mirror too if you are so keen on saving other's fallen goods on road. If a baby would have fallen off, your actions would have been very justified and perhaps reward worthy. But sudden braking for a damn helmet (what's the worst that could have happened if you should hit it? Surely your car wouldn't be damaged!) and with zero regards to who is coming from behind, plus adding that he should swerve to his left (thus effectively maybe ramming into the guy A while you were busy saving his helmet), this scenario puts the blame on everyone except the second person.

As a biker, I would urge every car driver that no matter how good your brakes are, please don't assume the following road vehicle's brakes will be similar. In case of a biker, it can cause a life :(
Old 26th March 2012, 19:25   #1107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I am sorry for perhaps not understanding your scenario,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
In case of a biker, it can cause a life :(

I'm sure you didn't understand the scenario.

Anyway what I was intending to do is to point out the morons that we have on the roads today. who have:-
1. helmets not on the head but tied on the bike. Mr. A
2. ancient bike with as ancient brakes. ( what i am saying here is that the brakes must be sharp enough, and since only i was in this scenario, i was keeping an eye on my rear view mirror and Mr. B was quite a distance away -a good 500 mtrs - from me when i started braking.) Mr. B

And being a very avid biker myself please do not assume 1. that car owners do not know what riding a bike is, 2. what a stupid action by another moron on the road can be in terms of life and death.
Old 26th March 2012, 20:52   #1108
BHPian

^^
@ani_meher:
Now that, IMO is very judgmental.
The first instinct of anyone behind a wheel or behind the handle-bar of a two wheeler is to avoid (or swerve) obstacles suddenly appearing/ falling, right in front of the vehicle. be it a baby, a helmet or a dinosaur.

It is very easy to infer from a situation when reading, but one is not sure of the exact incident that happened.
Monaro CV8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 23:59   #1109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
[left]

I'm sure you didn't understand the scenario.
Thanks for clearing Though the appeal is out to all drivers. This comes after avoiding quite a few collisions on sudden brake appliers.
Old 27th March 2012, 07:45   #1110
Distinguished - BHPian

Ani- ANY rear ending is always the fault of the guy following. Kevin has the law on his side, though we all know that means little in this country

Yesterday Baner Road had some inordinately heavy traffic in the evening and I saw an Omni skid weirdly as he tried to stop and nearly bang into a new XUV5OO ahead of him. He ended up skidding laterally and nearly banged into me instead. Thankfully speeds were low and no damage resulted.

@dot- Heartwarming story. Yesterday morning near balewadi stadium, a white Swift was trying to merge into the highway and as usual nobody would allow him in. So I waited patiently till he merged and then the guy gave me a courtesy wave! I was really surprised and instantly acknowledged it. That small yet oh-so-rare gesture made my day. Later that evening, a Range Rover Sport was taking a U turn in front of Soundarya in HJW and I let him through, but no acknowledgement, nothing. Ah well I guess 1 out of 2 ain't bad!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks