Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2012, 16:06   #1471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek
I was waiting at Nal Stop Signal when noticed a well dressed man distributing some kind of card to drivers. First I thought it is some kind of advertisement. Soon he came to my my car, wished a polite 'Happy Diwali' and handed over the card to me. When I read, I was feeling like every day I kill some people on road.

(Translation: Thanks to vehicle drivers for keeping us alive. Please continue to have this affection on us. Best wishes to you and your family!)
Yep,
Those are traffic awareness cards drafted by noted puneri cartoonist - Mangesh Tendulkar. They get distributed by an NGO every year during diwali.
Monaro CV8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 16:16   #1472
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Or is there some secret foot overbridge at the far end of the station ?
I answered in my existing post instead of quoting you again. Scroll up and find the overbridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
A friend who's looking to invest in the north corridor (Vishvrantwadi - Dhanori - Wagholi) is getting a lot of mixed opinions & views on the "potential" Ring Road and road infrastructure plans of the government.
Pointless. Anyone will come up with a reason to jack up the real estate prices. Ring road, airport, metro. We have been hearing the same things for last 10 years if not more.

Quote:
According to Marathi daily Sakal , Pune RTO has registered 16,000+ new two wheelers and 1000+ cars in the past 14 days. Similarly , 9,800 new bikes are registered in Pimpri RTO.
Not bad at all. What did you expect? People will wait for the next bus day or the metro to pop up overnight? If I had enough money I would buy another car too. Or maybe a bike. Or both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
I was waiting at Nal Stop Signal when noticed a well dressed man distributing some kind of card to drivers. First I thought it is some kind of advertisement. Soon he came to my my car, wished a polite 'Happy Diwali' and handed over the card to me. When I read, I was feeling like every day I kill some people on road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Yep,
Those are traffic awareness cards drafted by noted puneri cartoonist - Mangesh Tendulkar. They get distributed by an NGO every year during diwali.
yep, I got these cards during last Diwali. I think one of my colleagues got a few at some signal then. The message hasnt changed has it?
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 16:25   #1473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
The point with giving Rs 10 and walking out without a reciept is same as paying Rs 20 for a reciept worth Rs 10.

They want to earn Rs 10 from every vehicle which is unaccounted for to the Railways.
I doubt it works like this. Most of the pay and park facilities are auctioned by Railways/PMC. So Railway/PMC will get their money anyway. This loss will be for owner of the contract company manning Pay and Park.
Old 16th November 2012, 16:33   #1474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I doubt it works like this. Most of the pay and park facilities are auctioned by Railways/PMC. So Railway/PMC will get their money anyway. This loss will be for owner of the contract company manning Pay and Park.
Its the same story at RTO. you get a receipt grudgingly if at all, only after you ask for one.
and this is before I start off on all the underhand dealings. On second thoughts I wont.
Old 16th November 2012, 16:53   #1475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was waiting at Nal Stop Signal when noticed a well dressed man distributing some kind of card to drivers
Quote:
Dunno the exact intention/context of the person, but that is really thoughtful way of putting his point forward.
Was this the person who gave you the card?

http://www.mangeshtendulkar.com/

If not, it might have been someone who was distributing cards prepared by him.

EDIT: Just saw that Monaro beat me to the reply :-)

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 16th November 2012 at 16:55.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 17:19   #1476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Was this the person who gave you the card?

http://www.mangeshtendulkar.com/

If not, it might have been someone who was distributing cards prepared by him.
No, it was not him. It was younger person than him. I have seen Mr Tendulkar's photoes. But you are right, the cartoon is signed by Mangesh Tendulkar (It is not clear in image I have posted).
Old 17th November 2012, 11:37   #1477
BHPian

Quote:
No, it was not him. It was younger person than him. I have seen Mr Tendulkar's photoes. But you are right, the cartoon is signed by Mangesh Tendulkar (It is not clear in image I have posted).
Infact have received a diwali card from Mr. Mangesh Tendulkar at Nal Stop couple of years back.
Old 17th November 2012, 12:24   #1478
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Need bit of a help in figuring out the best way to reach the DYPDC campus this Sunday. The link below has the exact address:
http://www.dypdc.com/contact-us.php

I will be traveling from Mumbai and will prefer using the bus service. I had a query if the above location lies in the route or will I have to make further journey after the last stop?

Thanks in advance.
Old 18th November 2012, 14:45   #1479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
I will be traveling from Mumbai and will prefer using the bus service. I had a query if the above location lies in the route or will I have to make further journey after the last stop?
No, it is not on the route from Mumbai. It would be better that you take the bus from Bombay to Pune station and then head towards the airport as this institute seems to be behind the airport.
I am not sure of PMPML bus services to the institute, but there is one till the airport. For routes, please check here:
http://punebusguide.org/

If you take a rick, please ensure you agree on the price beforehand, if the driver refuses to ply by meter.
Old 20th November 2012, 19:53   #1480
Distinguished - BHPian

Pune Metro : Viable Option?

A friend shared this with me - thought this would find a better audience out here. The deck shared in the below link is quite lengthy (84 slides), but it raises a hell lot of important questions.

From the first look one could assume the OP might have a few bones to pick with the suggested Metro option, but as you go on with the slides, he raises several valid questions. Now I don't really advocate that Pune doesn't need a metro; heck, with the current condition of the city infrastructure, anything will do, but as the OP is suggesting we should look at all angles.

Please do have a look at the below link.

Pune Metro Presentation

Edit: @Swanand Inamadar, any relations with the OP (Prashant Inamadar)? (A lame Q, but had to ask )

Last edited by ninjatalli : 20th November 2012 at 19:58.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 09:59   #1481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now I don't really advocate that Pune doesn't need a metro; heck, with the current condition of the city infrastructure, anything will do, but as the OP is suggesting we should look at all angles.

Pune Metro Presentation
Thanks Ninjaji , will go through the slides when I am not in office.
As Pune bus day highlighted, a frequent public transport does not necessarily mean less vehicles on the road. For Pune, it just meant even more crowds thanks to more buses and the same number of regular road users.

Since we are on the topic of the metro , I would like to highlight again a few posts made on this subject a while ago by member CANPUSH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
Be prepared of the major calamity on the way..

If they approve elevated Metro Corridor, the traffic on the entire stretch between Vanaz on Paud road and Ramwadi on Nagar road will get paralyzed.

The Metro route is - Paud road - Paud phata - Nalstop -Karve road - Deccan - J M Road - turn at sancheti junction - Kamgar Putla - sangam bridge - Dr. Ambedkar road upto Maldhakka - Turn left towards station - Sanjay Gandhi road - cross station to Jahangir Hospital chowk - Bund garden road - cross river near Bund Garden - Nagar road till Ramwadi - turn left to new Airport road - Airport.

Once the construction begins central 9-10 meters width all along this stretch will be blocked for next 5-6 years. What a nightmare!

Had they accepted Underground, all this could have been avoided. The Sancheti underpass will soon be blocked again when they will need to erect pillars for Metro right in the center of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
Actually, there is a group of Architects, planners, educationists and related professionals, under banner of Pune Technical Coalition, which is coalition of 22 professional associations (architects, planners, urban designers, civil engineers, contractors, interior architects, railway engineers, etc.), all schools of Architecture and town planning and Janwani, NGO of MCCIA and groups of citizens under Pune Metro Jagruti Abhiyan, trying to convince govt and politicians that Metro should be under ground in central part of Pune. We had already made presentations to all politicians connected to Pune, across the party lines. Apparently, all accept that Metro should be underground, but in reality make resolutions other way.

You can read blogs on the issue at - Architecture+: Bury the METRO Architecture+: Munnabhai on Metro..by Shirish Kembhavi Architecture+: 19 May and Metro

I believe average citizen is neither aware nor bothered at this point of time. So is the media. They all will wake up only when the roads get cordoned and they began facing hardship. ......

For city like Pune where the roads in the central area are no more than 24 meters wide only sensible option is to build underground metro.

PS : Fellow Punekars, so it was Pune which finally got the honors of hanging Kasab. Umm..Yay?
Old 21st November 2012, 11:50   #1482
Senior - BHPian

Ninja, thanks for the slides. Shall go through it, when not in office!
The Metro is still debatable, whether needed or not.

From what I recently learnt, the Vanaz - Ramwadi route, shall pass right in front of my house. Those aware of the area, its the main road from Solaris to Ajanta Avenue (called Gujarat Colony rd). Heck no!! I dont want that! My balcony faces that main road! I dont want people looking into my house, passing in the metro .

Also, construction of underground metro routes has more or less been ruled out.
Why? Because our extremely competant Muncipal Corporation has no idea as to where the water/electricity/waste lines pass through, under the ground!

And no. AFAIK, have no relations with Mr. Prashant Inamdar.

. Ojas, read the comments below the news in TOI. I've always found the comments to be more entertaining, than the actual news itself. Regardless of what news it is!

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 21st November 2012 at 11:54. Reason: Added text
Old 21st November 2012, 13:06   #1483
BHPian

Quote:
A friend shared this with me - thought this would find a better audience out here. The deck shared in the below link is quite lengthy (84 slides), but it raises a hell lot of important questions.
Quote:
Since we are on the topic of the metro , I would like to highlight again a few posts made on this subject a while ago by member CANPUSH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Ninja, thanks for the slides. Shall go through it, when not in office!
The Metro is still debatable, whether needed or not.
Pune is having kind of complex river network through out the city. Mula, Mutha, Indrayani etc... Either they can be used to ferry people around the city or banks of river can be used for elevated metro. Here is interesting read on the same by Amit Paranjape. https://aparanjape.wordpress.com/201...metro-in-pune/

There is a civil society organization working on lobbying and advocacy for sustainable development in Pune called Parisar. They are having good amount of arguments for Metro as well. read here http://www.parisar.org/activities/pu...o-in-pune.html

P.S: I still believe Pune does not require Metro. If PMPML works like any other privately governed firm it has capacity to handle pune people traffic! (I'm day dreaming )
Old 21st November 2012, 14:41   #1484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
Pune is having kind of complex river network through out the city. Mula, Mutha, Indrayani etc... Either they can be used to ferry people around the city or banks of river can be used for elevated metro. Here is interesting read on the same by Amit Paranjape. https://aparanjape.wordpress.com/201...metro-in-pune/

P.S: I still believe Pune does not require Metro. If PMPML works like any other privately governed firm it has capacity to handle pune people traffic! (I'm day dreaming )
Amit Paranjape who has written the blog is a t-bhpian.
IMO, Pune metro is just a carrot being shown to us by political parties. None of them are interested in it. Every couple of months one sees articles regarding the same in the press. Not sure if anyone of you have followed the news, there is another plan of Light Rail System from Deccan till Hinjewadi via University (The news appeared in the press before Diwali)
Old 21st November 2012, 17:21   #1485
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know what are they constructing in the middle of the road on the section between RTO and Alandi road?

The section between Gunjan and Shastri nagar has lot of dug up areas at the side which are for piped gas connections. As a result the Shastri nagar signal is now a congested junction.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks