Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2012, 10:31   #1351
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Surprise Surprise Surprise!

The small patch on the Baner-Pashan link road (next to the 3M store) which was in the ugliest state for over 100 years , has been repaired and restored. It was an immense pleasure driving on that patch today morning. Thanks to whoever did it. The half on the Pashan side is done already and the other half on Baner side has gravel on it already and should be done in 1-2 days I guess.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 21st August 2012 at 10:32. Reason: Spell check
ajay_satpute is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 10:33   #1352
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Wow you made my day! I have complaining on this thread about that patch for ages now. Wonder what finally made them do it!
Old 21st August 2012, 10:41   #1353
Team-BHP Support

^^ I came by to this thread to post an update and it's already in the news. Talk about the speed of information these days.
Old 21st August 2012, 11:34   #1354
Senior - BHPian

Guys travelling on SB road please be alert for replica models of the Curiosity rover landing site on Mars.

The worst section is on the fast lane (right most, considering all lanes are used as fast lanes) between ICC Trade tower and Chatushringi temple heading towards University chowk. There was a metal barricade there till a few days ago warning people of the mound of mud but that has disappeared. Dont try to swerve to the left lane immediately as there is a sunken metal drain located there. And obviously there would be others trying to overtake you from the left.

This is quite the story of SB road, it seems it has been built on top of drainage/ sewer lines as one will notice umpteen manhole covers that have sunk below the road level.

Other than this, please be alert for people crossing at the Chatushringi temple crossing, some of the most aggressive pedestrians I have seen. With the festival season around the corner, their number is only expected to increase. A special mention has to be made here of the small parking lot on the opposite side of the road.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriollis View Post
It is near Hotel Abhishek ( oh yes, this hotel is also a nuisance) in Patwardhan Baug
you mean the veggie one, correct? I dont see how the non veggie one could be a nuisance.

Last edited by selfdrive : 21st August 2012 at 11:39.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 17:32   #1355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive
Guys travelling on SB road please be alert for replica models of the Curiosity rover landing site on Mars.
Edit:
you mean the veggie one, correct? I dont see how the non veggie one could be a nuisance.
That was hilarious!
The SB road is my daily route to my office in bhosari from kothrud. I would say that it is like choosing one of the lesser evils. I hate the traffic on law college road, but by taking this route I save from entering utter chaos at patil estate.
And yes, I mean the veggie one itself. The amount of waiting people outside and their amazing valet parking system gives me shivers. Abhishek to me is what is Vaishali to you.
Cheers :-)
Abhijeet
Old 21st August 2012, 18:23   #1356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriollis View Post
The SB road is my daily route to my office in bhosari from kothrud. I would say that it is like choosing one of the lesser evils. I hate the traffic on law college road, but by taking this route I save from entering utter chaos at patil estate.
I thought you lived in PCMC and commuted to Kothrud. True, SB road/ Law college road has become an arterial route though there is no Law and only 'apat' on those roads.

Did Abhishek break your heart as much as Vaishali did mine? just kidding, I use this post to clarify I dont/ didnt know anyone called Vaishali. You can find more on this topic on the tapri meet thread.

Yes, the valet service at Abhishek leaves a lot to be desired for. In any case, we stopped going there ever since someone we know found something in their food that none of us wanted to know more about.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 19:24   #1357
Senior - BHPian

Rant alert.

Ok, so I had to drive to town this weekend. And by town, I really mean town. Think Laxmi road, Mandai area. And I had to find a parking space. I have been told that PMC has built a number of parking lots in the area.
1. Hamalwada
2. Mandai (2 parking lots). one in the chowk where one takes a left to Dagdusheth halwai, another right opposite Mandai (after taking a right from aforementioned chowk)
3. Narayan peth

My rant is about the fact that most of the parking lots have been occupied by monthly pass holders and there is always a full board or a long queue for outsiders who drive in.

Why in the world are monthly passes issued to residents/ shopkeepers? I have no tweeting idea! As far as I remember the lots were built to ensure more people come to shopping area without a worry of where to find parking space. But these people are hitting their feet on the same axe they wanted the PMC to remove in the first place.

Result is that on main roads such as Laxmi road, barricades have been put up on one side restricting parking to only the other side of the road. Guess what happens?
1. 4 wheelers still stop next to the barricades, though it is a no stopping area. so the traffic flow is not even a trickle.
2. 2 wheeler parking is reduced to one side only. and guess who leaves their bikes parked there all day? yes yes, the same folks who do business there. some out of shops built in basements that are actually supposed to be used for parking vehicles.

Of course, this is my opinion as a visitor who does not want to vist the area any more. Anyone who has an opinion from the other side, please feel free to contribute.
In this age of malls and extended competition, these shopkeepers are really pushing their luck.

Anyway, I did stumble upon a neat way to sidestep the issue. But I will keep the workaround to myself for now. for the rare occasion that I am tricked to drive there again.
Old 28th August 2012, 19:56   #1358
BHPian

If I have to go to Laxmi Road, I park my car somewhere at the end of Karve road / Prabhat Road and take an Auto from there to Laxmi Road. Advantage is, I get dropped right at the doorstep of the shop I want to visit. No waiting in long parking queues and walking up and down in parking lots. Also, no carrying bags from the shop to car

Cost of convinience somewhere around Rs.30/-.
Old 28th August 2012, 20:27   #1359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi_k View Post
Cost of convinience somewhere around Rs.30/-.
Its a little bit more at times. I had done this once, and did not get a rickshaw to get me back to Deccan for about 20 minutes.

Used the time to walk a bit, but finally found a rick. it was a bit hectic as my son was quite tired and was sitting on my shoulders.

not really the most convenient but a good workaround anyway
Old 29th August 2012, 05:37   #1360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Rant alert.

Ok, so I had to drive to town this weekend. And by town, I really mean town. Think Laxmi road, Mandai area. And I had to find a parking space. I have been told that PMC has built a number of parking lots in the area.
1. Hamalwada
2. Mandai (2 parking lots). one in the chowk where one takes a left to Dagdusheth halwai, another right opposite Mandai (after taking a right from aforementioned chowk)
3. Narayan peth

I used to park regularly at Hamalwada and never faced this issue. Looks like a recent phenomenon to me. In comparison parking at the Mandai was a nightmare with the long queue to get inside. No such issues with Hamalwada.
Old 29th August 2012, 07:39   #1361
Senior - BHPian

I have been adventurous enough to take my car only a couple of times to Mandai on a Sunday and luckily i was able to park in the PMC parking lot.

Othertimes i also park the car at Deccan and take a rick.

Quote:
Anyway, I did stumble upon a neat way to sidestep the issue. But I will keep the workaround to myself for now. for the rare occasion that I am tricked to drive there again.
Please PM me this option. I promise would not share it with anyone else.
Old 29th August 2012, 10:19   #1362
Senior - BHPian

What is the situation of 4-wheeler parking at Market Yard? Do we have some good/ safe parking options there? Or is it just like Tulsi baug, Lakshmi Road?
Old 29th August 2012, 10:38   #1363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
What is the situation of 4-wheeler parking at Market Yard? Do we have some good/ safe parking options there? Or is it just like Tulsi baug, Lakshmi Road?
Have not been to Market Yard recently. But about a year back when i went there the Pay and Park opposite to the Market Yard gate (on the other side of the road) was decent enough. Got place to park in the mornings without any issues.
Old 29th August 2012, 12:47   #1364
BHPian

Quote:
Rant alert.
My rant is about the fact that most of the parking lots have been occupied by monthly pass holders and there is always a full board or a long queue for outsiders who drive in.

Why in the world are monthly passes issued to residents/ shopkeepers?
This problem is more at Mandai parking. There are so many building in surrounding area that were built 50 years back without any parking facility. So locals have no option but to park in these parking malls. One of my relative does the same thing. Imagine the situation if these people start parking on the road.

Some of the buildings are now getting redeveloped. Newer buildings are coming up with own parking. But it will take long time to solve this problem.

Quote:
4 wheelers still stop next to the barricades, though it is a no stopping area. so the traffic flow is not even a trickle.
Many do that. Drivers/Husbands (same thing no?) wait in the car till memsab does her shopping. But Police are now getting very strict about this. I have seen many times police jeep equipped with loudspeaker taking rounds announcing "Car chhattis sattawann ithe thambu naka, he parking nahi aahe" (Car 3657 do not stop here, this not a parking area)

Quote:
In this age of malls and extended competition, these shopkeepers are really pushing their luck.
Wrong. There is no alternative to Laxmi road and Tulsibag when it comes to many items. When my daughter's school asked to dress her in kid's saree, I have no doubt where to head for. There is no credible alternative for buying silk saree, is there? Similarly Tulsi baug has many things that are otherwise hard to get in other stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
I used to park regularly at Hamalwada and never faced this issue. Looks like a recent phenomenon to me. In comparison parking at the Mandai was a nightmare with the long queue to get inside. No such issues with Hamalwada.
+1. I find getting parking in Hamalwada much easier than getting parking at FC/JM road. Though Riksha is much better way. Due to lot of one ways, you need to know where to get Auto for your area. Better ask a riksha wala who will guide you. But normally it takes 10-15 minutes to find.
Old 2nd September 2012, 20:32   #1365
Distinguished - BHPian

Bad mess on the bypass this evening. A big truck-trailer crashed into the median (I think) and blocked the entire Balewadi-Wakad northbound lane. Idiot motorists started cutting over to the wrong side and caused even more chaos. I was stuck in my Swift with family for almost an hour. The Mumbai-bound traffic was still very slow moving since even after a crane had moved the truck, it was still occupying a full lane.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks