Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2013, 23:27   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Cops have really stepped up their game fining people for sun films over the last few days, especially in the Juhu-Santacruz area
Old 27th February 2013, 23:39   #302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Cops have really stepped up their game fining people for sun films over the last few days, especially in the Juhu-Santacruz area
I was pulled over a few days ago just before Phoenix Mills, as I entered Tulsi pipe road. The fine is Rs 100 and the receipt gives you immunity for the day. Even if the film is mostly transparent, they still don't care. Of course, it cost me almost Rs 1500 to get the film taken off my Outlander - maybe I should have taken my chances of getting caught and paying 100 bucks once in a while!
Old 28th February 2013, 00:40   #303
Senior - BHPian

Goregaon Flyover on WE highway closed at night towards borivili side consecutively since last 3 days. I reach that spot around 12am and been noticing a long traffic line. Don't know the reason as I go to Goregaon west and take an interior road to avoid the jam.
Old 28th February 2013, 10:44   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Goregaon Flyover on WE highway closed at night towards borivili side consecutively since last 3 days.
Hello Desmosedici,

I believe they are relaying the upper layer of the road, once again. Let us hope for a smoother ride in this fly-over soon.

Hello All,

Since last three days, I am noticing multiple Best buses mal functioning & causing huge traffic pile up. A day before yesterday, I saw three out of order Best Buses on a 400 meter stretch at S.V.Road, Malad leading to massive traffic jam on already narrow road.

Same is the scene at Wetern Express Highway, everyday couple of Best Buses stop working & cause inconvenicence to passengers & other vehicles.

I believe it is time for Best to do some serious thinking & upgrade thier fleet or atleast maintain the buses properly.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2013, 11:56   #305
BHPian

Since the past week, DNA newspaper has been running ideas on how to ease traffic in mumbai. Link here.
Many Mumbaikars shared their views like congestion tax, allowing cars to run on days according to even/odd numbers, improving the public transport etc.
Bringing back the trams was also one unique idea suggested by a reader.

I feel, nothing is going to work till the people lack the civic sense. For and example, sky-walks were created for the use of people walking around the stations, but how many of us use it. The main reason being that public transport is not available on the sky-walk. If you need to get a rick, you would try getting hold of one on the road rather than getting on the sky-walks.
Increasing public transport and encouraging people to use them would be an option. During peak hours, all the public transport systems leading to office routes are choc-a-block, where is the space to accommodate more people.
Even most of the buses going south are packed to the brim, and increasing the number of buses will only cause more traffic woes. This in-turn encourages people to use private transport as it saves time as well as effort. Then, how is the situation going to ease off?

Would love to see some innovative ideas by the BHP-ians!
Old 28th February 2013, 14:00   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Since the past week, DNA newspaper has been running ideas on how to ease traffic in mumbai. Link here.
Many Mumbaikars shared their views like congestion tax, allowing cars to run on days according to even/odd numbers, improving the public transport etc.
Bringing back the trams was also one unique idea suggested by a reader.

I feel, nothing is going to work till the people lack the civic sense. For and example, sky-walks were created for the use of people walking around the stations, but how many of us use it. The main reason being that public transport is not available on the sky-walk. If you need to get a rick, you would try getting hold of one on the road rather than getting on the sky-walks.
Increasing public transport and encouraging people to use them would be an option. During peak hours, all the public transport systems leading to office routes are choc-a-block, where is the space to accommodate more people.
Even most of the buses going south are packed to the brim, and increasing the number of buses will only cause more traffic woes. This in-turn encourages people to use private transport as it saves time as well as effort. Then, how is the situation going to ease off?

Would love to see some innovative ideas by the BHP-ians!
The Skywalks are a flawed concept for the aam aadmi, to get people on it you need to have escalators, and that the government will not do, as they require maintenance, which a black hole as far as funds are concerned.

Now coming to solutions,
Firstly you need to fix all traffic junctions, the roads are in a bad shape.
Intelligenly done zebra crossings, not some stupid lines where people have to jump dividers to get across the road.
Cops on these junctions to ensure cars do not cross these lines, (askone driving to Nariman Point how they ensure lane disciple near the erstwhile jazz by the bay junction)

By doing the above you will ensure that signals are not starting point of a drag race or the culmination of a logjam.

All roads to be maintained, a smoother drive lends to a driver being less stressed out.

Change peak times

Right now majority traffic is North-South.
Have office timings staggered so as to ensure less pressure on roads, some office to start @ 7 am and shut in 9 hour shifts, start early, end early and have that number of people on the road/rail that will allow smooth functioning of traffic

Government or BMC provides tax breaks to those offices that provide company transport to its personal that would otherwise use cars.

School and College timings to be pre-or post peak office time.
Shut schools and colleges from July to August instead of April to June.

These are some that I can think of right now. But resigned to the fact that the people in positions to implement / influence will not take this forward.
neofromcapone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2013, 14:19   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
Now coming to solutions,
Firstly you need to fix all traffic junctions, the roads are in a bad shape.
Intelligenly done zebra crossings, not some stupid lines where people have to jump dividers to get across the road.
Cops on these junctions to ensure cars do not cross these lines, (askone driving to Nariman Point how they ensure lane disciple near the erstwhile jazz by the bay junction)
Yes, those areas are well maintained in terms of roads as well as the lane discipline. The problem is with the suburbs! I have seen people crossing roads meters away from the Zebra crossings even when a vehicle is speeding at them honking and flashing.

Quote:
Change peak times

Right now majority traffic is North-South.
Have office timings staggered so as to ensure less pressure on roads, some office to start @ 7 am and shut in 9 hour shifts, start early, end early and have that number of people on the road/rail that will allow smooth functioning of traffic.

Government or BMC provides tax breaks to those offices that provide company transport to its personal that would otherwise use cars.
That's a good suggestion!
Different timings is sure to ease the traffic situation. Also, work from home should be promoted wherever possible.

Quote:
School and College timings to be pre-or post peak office time.
Shut schools and colleges from July to August instead of April to June.
Most schools are chosen near to residence, so schools should not be a problem. Colleges should have flexible timings. That eases the student's traveling stress.

However, I fail to understand how changing the timings of the school vacations may affect traffic situations! Could you please throw some more light on this?
Old 28th February 2013, 17:07   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Most schools are chosen near to residence, so schools should not be a problem. Colleges should have flexible timings. That eases the student's traveling stress.

However, I fail to understand how changing the timings of the school vacations may affect traffic situations! Could you please throw some more light on this?
The school schedules are based on what was best during the British Raj, they could not handle the Indian Summer.

Now times have changed, and Bombay has only three seasons,

1. Hot
2. Very Hot.
3. Unbearably Hot.

We can manage somehow in the summers, but when monsoons hit us during the peak of July, August and some of September, I would rather the children be safe at home than stranded on the streets.
neofromcapone is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2013, 18:09   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Skywalks are a flawed concept for the aam aadmi,
Quote:
The school schedules are based on what was best during the British Raj, they could not handle the Indian Summer.
Hello Neofromcapone,

I feel skywalks are totally cheating of aam admi. How can you allow footpath's to be blocked by illegal vendors & expect comman man to climb 30 stairs to walk on skywalk.
Also most of the market places of Mumbai are located near Railway station area. Further most of the people taking Mumbai local trains make their daily purchases at these staton roads. Thus these people will never walk on skywalks.

Regarding school, schedules I totally accept that it is high time to change the Britishraj implementations.

Hello All,

I read in newspapers yearterday that government is finalizing a Bill that will protect Hawkers in Mumbai . Does this mean that now legally a hawker / vendor block a footpath / road & start his business. What kind of city planners do we have? They are further strenghtening what is basically illegal.

Thanks,

Last edited by Jignesh : 28th February 2013 at 18:12.
Old 1st March 2013, 16:27   #310
BHPian

How bad traffic snarl can an innocuous looking Honda City cause? From my experience for almost 3 - 4 km. Yesterday morning, traffic on the WE Highway from Andheri was moving at a snail pace. I too was an unfortunate part of it. However what surprised me was that the White Honda City was stuck in the right most lane just as you start climbing the flyover. To make things worst the car was stuck between 2 lanes and hence was causing the snarl.

Once I crossed the car the road simply opened up. What I fail to understand is that why didn't the owner just not try & roll the car down the flyover and push it on the side? Whats the point in leaving it in the middle and cause such a huge hassle to so many others?

I found the same situation today just before the Airport flyover where a taxi guy decided to change his tyre right in the middle of the road. If he would have driven a little and come on the side, no harm would have happened. Luckily the incident had just happened and hence traffic was not affected that much.

I wonder if this is pure lack of civic sense!
Maverick1977 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 16:51   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
How bad traffic snarl can an innocuous looking Honda City cause? From my experience for almost 3 - 4 km. Yesterday morning, traffic on the WE Highway from Andheri was moving at a snail pace. I too was an unfortunate part of it. However what surprised me was that the White Honda City was stuck in the right most lane just as you start climbing the flyover. To make things worst the car was stuck between 2 lanes and hence was causing the snarl.

Absolutely agreed! Just a little bit of patience and civic sense will make everyone's life easier.

Many a time, I have seen huge jam at the Khernagar signal on WE highway despite green light. It's because of the impatient people who are waiting to cross over the WE highway from Khernagar to Kalanagar. They keep on nudging despite red light. And in the process, occupy 1/4th to 1/3rd of the highway causing a big snarl.
Gotham_City is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 17:52   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Goregaon Flyover on WE highway closed at night towards borivili side consecutively since last 3 days.
Hello Desmosedici,

The North direction (Borivali side) of Goregoan fly-over is done & now we can expect a very smooth drive on this fly-over atleast till monsoon onslaught begins.

Recently I read somewhere that authorities have spared additional Rs. 200+ crores for Mumbai roads. I wonder where the money goes. The improvement on major roads (espacially in surburbs) is not visible. Though couple of roads are currently Concretizedm but the paver blocks besides Concrete roads & at junctions are really in bad shape.

Last month I was at Chennai for two days & travelled almost 25 kms with city. But nowhere in Chennai I experienced roads as bad a Mumbai. I believe the monsoons are equally harsh there too, but roads are surprisingly better.

Thanks,
Old 1st March 2013, 17:57   #313
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
I found the same situation today just before the Airport flyover where a taxi guy decided to change his tyre right in the middle of the road. If he would have driven a little and come on the side, no harm would have happened. Luckily the incident had just happened and hence traffic was not affected that much.

I've noticed this with all cab drivers. Wherever they figure out they have a puncture, they stop right there whether it is in the middle of a main road or in the side of a galli. I mean its not like the puncture happened there and then and they realized it the second it happened. They should drive to the side of the road.
Old 1st March 2013, 18:50   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Desmosedici,

The North direction (Borivali side) of Goregoan fly-over is done & now we can expect a very smooth drive on this fly-over atleast till monsoon onslaught begins.

Recently I read somewhere that authorities have spared additional Rs. 200+ crores for Mumbai roads. I wonder where the money goes. The improvement on major roads (espacially in surburbs) is not visible. Though couple of roads are currently Concretizedm but the paver blocks besides Concrete roads & at junctions are really in bad shape.

Last month I was at Chennai for two days & travelled almost 25 kms with city. But nowhere in Chennai I experienced roads as bad a Mumbai. I believe the monsoons are equally harsh there too, but roads are surprisingly better.

Thanks,
Thanks for the update as even yesterday night it was closed. I am just fortunate enough that i knew the inner roads else i wouldve been stuck in that long jam while going home every night.

I hope someone realises that the entire mumbai needs a resurfacing. There isnt a single road that doesnt have potholes or craters.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 22:23   #315
BHPian

Hi everybody
Today's Mumbai Mirror had an article that the fatal accidents in Bombay involve 57% of pedestrians.
Unfortunately the footpaths have been taken over by hawkers(as Jignesh mentioned above) and perforce the pedestrians are forced to walk on the road.
At the same time quite a few of them jump over barriers and meet with accidents and the blame is always placed on the motorists.
Here is a link to the article.
http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...&ViewMode=HTML
Regards
faustus77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks