Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2020, 22:16   #1021
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
**MODS please move to appropriate thread**

Found this video in Facebook. Premier Padmini Car was driving by itself without driver and an old man in Passenger seat. But how is it possible?

Attachment 2065945
May be it is a driving school car, where the accelerator, brake and clutch controls are with the instructor who is in passenger seat and the steering wheel is usually on right side, in front the learner (driver's side)

In the video you can see him changing the lanes with his right hand giving minimum inputs to steering wheel.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th October 2020 at 04:12. Reason: Video link removed from quote
Old 10th October 2020, 22:19   #1022
BHPian

Quote:

Found this video in Facebook. Premier Padmini Car was driving by itself without driver and an old man in Passenger seat. But how is it possible?
If I'm not wrong, that's a driving school car, with the A,B,C pedals on the passenger side too.

Regardless, it's not safe. He is going to strain his hand, and will have terrible visibility while overtaking. could be fatal
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 22:25   #1023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
May be it is a driving school car, In the video you can see him changing the lanes with his right hand giving minimum inputs to steering wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
If I'm not wrong, that's a driving school car, with the A,B,C pedals on the passenger side too.

Regardless, it's not safe. He is going to strain his hand, and will have terrible visibility while overtaking. could be fatal
Thanks. But why is he doing circus on highway. It could be fatal for him and also for others.
Sarvodaya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 22:31   #1024
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. But why is he doing circus on highway. It could be fatal for him and also for others.
Yes indeed, driving school instructors like him are the reason the roads of our country are infested with idiots with no skill.

I remember once while waiting at my bus stop,
a driving school car nearby dropped off the person in the driver's seat and took off with just the instructor in the passenger seat, almost immediately.

The restlessness of our population knows no bounds. They behave like taking a minute extra for something responsible will strip them of everything they have achieved.

"I'm an expert trainer, I can do this"
viXit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 11:41   #1025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Autonomous car . The way the old man looking around casually like he is a passenger. I have also seen many car instructors drive from the passenger seat.

Last edited by SKC-auto : 11th October 2020 at 12:02.
Old 15th October 2020, 20:19   #1026
BHPian

Re: Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road

Saw this on the side of the road the other day .
Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road-discover-contraption.jpg

It started it's life as a humble Bajaj Discover 110 ; now in it's afterlife it's a three wheeled contraption .

SB
SB08121980 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 13:28   #1027
Distinguished - BHPian

Heartwarming and humbling experience near Dumka Jharkhand

So this incident happened recently during my drive back from Darjeeling. After crossing Hansdiha, I was aware that there is a bridge collapse near Dumka and that I will have to take the Jama- Palajori- Jamtara- Chitranjan- Asansol to reach Calcutta. It was already late in the night around 12.30 am and I missed the road somehow connecting to Jamtara and ended up landing near the broken bridge.

With no one nearby to ask and with another tempo driver who was already stranded, it was a situation one least expected in the dead of night. We returned and after driving for around five minutes or so, we found two men on the highway sitting and loitering around. We stopped and asked for direction for Jamtara. The men started to laugh among themselves and sheepishly told me- we will tell you the exact way to connect to Jamtara and will provide a map too but you will have to pay ₹50 for that !!

Incidentally, the same night a long trailer also had a bad accident blocking the entire road which was the alternate route to reach Asansol after the bridge collapse near Dumka. With no one for long miles, we kind of were little apprehensive whether to take the route suggested by the men, which passed through dense jungles and had a horrendous village road with large craters.

One more friend was travelling on the same route and he also joined me right at that point. We both decided to take the route but seeing our predicament one among the men offered to help us guide through. We were still little apprehensive about taking the route but went ahead. They actually helped us through the entire route until we landed up on the highway. Talking through, we thanked them profusely and all they could utter- aap log itni raat ko bharosha kiye toh Itna karna toh banta tha which means we trusted them in the dead of night and hence they did what they did.

Another lesson- people are inherently good, it’s the situation and circumstances which make things worse. People are inherently good if you trust them. Often people are not what they seem, pre conceived notions are bad. We finally were on our way to Jamtara and reached Calcutta by morning.

Xerox copy of hand made map which the guys gave for 50 bucks
Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road-aae0202701584ce4be5eb8063ac92d45.jpeg

Discussion in the middle of the road in the dead of night regarding the map
Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road-4af65a8106d948b38e96284a6b5b495e.jpeg

The red backlight of the bike can be seen in the picture
Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road-208c1aaba0174dd1854d5ac4e7aeaa00.png

Interior village road which we took to reach the alternate route
Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road-a6a075ab78b7429faa0a48292cfe5706.png

P.S- Last two pictures are screenshots from a video, so please ignore the quality.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 17:06   #1028
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Xerox copy of hand made map which the guys gave for 50 bucks
What a beautifully drawn map!

Very nice story, and quite an adventure. Thank you for telling
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 21:03   #1029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
...we found two men on the highway sitting and loitering around. We stopped and asked for direction for Jamtara.
Perhaps for the first time in recent history someone has asked for something from someone (in, around or) from Jamtara. It is generally the other way round!
Quote:
we will tell you the exact way to connect to Jamtara and will provide a map too but you will have to pay ₹50 for that
Lucky you. You got off lightly and lost nothing.
Quote:
Another lesson- people are inherently good, it’s the situation and circumstances which make things worse. People are inherently good if you trust them. Often people are not what they seem, pre conceived notions are bad
This, I completely agree with. Yet, reputations don't get erased easily.

Reference: The Jamtara Scandal
dailydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 22:33   #1030
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What a beautifully drawn map!

Very nice story, and quite an adventure. Thank you for telling
The map was confusing though, and the guys told us the same too. We did lose our way once but quickly went back to the original route. The bike went with it’s own sweet time along the broken road but it was not the same for me

And yes, it was quite an adventure, more so when I recollect the incident now !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Perhaps for the first time in recent history someone has asked for something from someone (in, around or) from Jamtara. It is generally the other way round!
Actually the place was more near Dumka then Jamtara. But since the notoriety of the place was never lost on me, even after finally on the way to Jamtara on a hoot of a surface, I chased a police van and flagged the vehicle only to ask if the route at that odd hour is safe or not. The policemen gave a resounding yes in respect of the safety part .For one moment, those policemen were amused to see two vehicles using dipper and horns to flag them down at high speeds !!

Even after reaching Jamtara, I stopped for some time and was wondering what was the fuss all about
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 15:47   #1031
Distinguished - BHPian

My wife was supposed to drive herself and our kid to her mother's home for a short stayover. A lizard was perched on the rear door of my wife's A-Star. When I opened it to place a bag for her, the reptile jumped inside. It could be found peeking from underneath the driver's seat but not quite traceable.

Everyone in the family (including me) has an extreme revulsion towards lizards. I didn't want the wife and kid to suddenly spot the lizard climbing upon them or nearby them inside the car; the kid might shout and the wife might land the car anywhere on the road out of shock...

Thus - due to a 10 cm long truant lizard, I had to drive them over in my TUV 300 We're going to keep the A-Star locked down for 10 days. We'll pick up the lizard's carcass based on wherever it stinks inside the car...
locusjag is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 18:28   #1032
Distinguished - BHPian

That's not heart-warming. Why condemn the lizard? It will have helped you out by eating any insects inside the car.

I understand that it is hard to overcome the cultural prejudice, but these creatures do absolutely no harm at all.

Mind you, I wouldn't welcome one inside the car, as anything jumping on me is going to startle, and I can understand why you decided that your wife would not make that journey.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 19:15   #1033
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That's not heart-warming. Why condemn the lizard? It will have helped you out by eating any insects inside the car.

I understand that it is hard to overcome the cultural prejudice, but these creatures do absolutely no harm at all.

Mind you, I wouldn't welcome one inside the car, as anything jumping on me is going to startle, and I can understand why you decided that your wife would not make that journey.
It is actually grisly and not a heartwarming thing at all; perhaps it is a little bit funny to us. But the poor thing has leaped into the car and will die in there for sure. I know it does no harm, but we just don't like having them so near to us...and as you said, she'll get startled for sure when driving.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 09:43   #1034
BHPian

The following happened during our honeymoon trip in November 2008. It was barely 10 days since our wedding and we didn't know each other much at that time (arranged marriage).

Incident-1: Me and wife land up one early winter morning at New Delhi by train (NDLS) on our way to Ranikhet for our honeymoon. Soon we find ourselves on a bus starting from Anand Vihar Bus Terminus with the destination for the day being Haldwani. We were folks from Chennai and neither of us had been to Delhi or Uttarakhand before, though we both understand and speak Hindi reasonably well.
As soon as the bus started, I was feeling a bit motion-sick and I dozed off much to the chagrin of my newly wedded wife, who probably was expecting some sweet-nothings. It felt as though we had been traveling for hours when I woke up to find ourselves still in Ghaziabad. Bus was parked. My wife tells me that there had been a small incident of the bus brushing/hitting a car. And the car driver blocked the bus demanding that the bus driver either pay up or drive the vehicle to the nearest police station. We had been parked for nearly an hour or more and I had been asleep all this time. Half the passengers, bus crew, bystanders were outside arguing with the car driver with no resolution in sight. At this rate, we were likely to reach Haldwani only after dusk which wasn't something I preferred. I patiently waited for another half hour inside the bus after which my patience ran out.
I told my wife to stay put in her seat while I go check out the situation outside. I got down and barely reached the spot where the tamasha was happening, all the parties had gotten to some sort of agreement and were dispersing already. I quickly returned to my seat and my wife is like . What did you do? How did you resolve it so quickly when folks were arguing for hours! She was impressed and I did what any newly-wedded man would do in that situation - didn't say a word to her about the truth, just smiled at her and muttered something like - Dear! You ain't seen nothing from your man yet!

Incident-2: Now, we were back at New Delhi Railway station few days later, after our honeymoon at Ranikhet. Wife still in disbelief that I could persuade all that crowd to disperse at the Ghaziabad incident. Now, we are waiting for Tamil Nadu Express to chug in to platform. Scheduled departure in about 10.30pm. It is about 11pm and cold but train is nowhere in sight. My wife remarks playfully "Its getting late and cold. Why don't you persuade the train to come to the platform?".
I nod at her getting the hidden message. I walk off towards the far end of the platform to the Station Master's cabin to inquire about the delay. Inquiries not being very fruitful, I start to walk towards where my wife is sitting. Tamil Nadu Express slowly pulls up in to the platform chugging right behind me at a languid pace, the engine never going past me (I'm not a brisk walker at all!). From my wife's view, it appears that I'm goading the train to the platform and she is incredulous!! And I'm

And that's when I recollected Paulo Coelho: "When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it"

Mods: I couldn't keep the smileys down to 2. Delete the smiley you find unnecessary. Thanks

Last edited by srvm : 20th October 2020 at 09:44.
srvm is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 00:33   #1035
BHPian

This funny/embarrassing thing happened with me. Responsible person - I, me, myself

Circa June 2016. I am an IT guy and we(me/my wife) were deputed in Oslo, Norway. I was getting a hang of self drive rentals after our positive experiences in other EU countries. This was my first self drive in Norway though.

As per our planned long weekend trip to Geiranger fjord(a famous tourist destination), we were supposed to land at Kristiansund airport, pick our rental car and drive to Geiranger valley. We had a hotel booked there for couple of nights.

We got landed safely as per schedule. It was a very small airport and we were at the counter for Budget cars in a jiffy. Guy at the counter after doing basic formalities gave me the keys of a Toyota. On reaching parking, I found its an AT car(Yaris hatchback). Now I knew how to drive AT theoretically that time but thought of doing practical at some later time. With this thought, I went back to the counter and requested a manual. The person at the counter obliged without any fuss.

It was a VW Polo this time - manual. I was quite confident with this since my cousin owns a Polo and I have driven it quite a few times. Accordingly, we were all set to start. At that time, I just thought of checking the gear slotting/ clutch heaviness in stationery car before setting off just to get comfortable(I never do this).

I started with forward gears but I just forgot how to engage reverse . I was point blank for reverse gear for those few minutes. All sorts of strange thoughts came to my mind such as - I can be stuck here for hours or How can i ask for help since I am a (self proclaimed)car guy and all my friends come to me for car queries. Luckily, the way in which I lost it, I regained the same similarly. So, suddenly I pressed the gear lever down and slotted it in reverse. My subconscious mind surely acted weirdly that day.

Have done more road trips with various cars since then. Glad to report, this was just an isolated case.
abhi_tjet is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks