Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2020, 13:55   #976
BHPian

Re: Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road

It was 2002 and there were fewer women drivers on the road than today when they are ubiquitous.

My wife and I were doing a North-West India tour in our car, an Indica DLX and had come to the Agra Mathura Delhi stretch. Our night halt had been at Gwalior.

This stretch had multiple toll booths then (probably has still). During a drive my wife and I alternate driving with each doing around 100-150 kms or 2 hours whichever is reached first. In this stretch she was the driver.

We noticed a guy on a bike following us closely. He then came alongside and when he realized it was a woman driver, his behavior changed. He would go in front, weave in front of us as if daring us to race, race ahead but then fall back till he was again just 20-25 meters ahead of us and in the path of the car.

When we reached a toll booth, he would cross the toll booth (since bikes had no tolls) and wait for us at the other side and the whole rigmarole would start again.

This repeated a few times and by now we were getting irritated and fed up. We had started early in the day from Gwalior and were keen to reach Delhi soon as possible. We were also worried that there would be an accident with that moron riding in front of us just a few meters away.

He was on a commuter bike and while the Indica was by no means a fast vehicle, we knew that if we floored the pedal, we could easily overtake the guy. But he might chase us and get into a dangerous situation given we were on a busy highway.

So we did the commonsense action of stopping the car and I taking over the car again.

He lost interest soon after that.
bevivek is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 14:13   #977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
I was coming to Pune with my dad for CET exam.
Such kindness and that too when he himself was late due to the holiday traffic. He stil stopped, offered help.

Sir, if you ever read this, thank you!
I guess this is the thing about Pune: kindness is everywhere.
My story dates back to 1996 when my two year old baby daughter was admitted in MH CTC Pune. She needed a heart surgery. My wife was also admitted in the hospital to care for the baby. I and my Mother were staying in a friend's house in Ghorpari area. The entire process took 55 days.

Every day, I and my mother took autos to visit MH CTC during visiting hours. While coming back, it was difficult to get an auto to Ghorpari directly. For some reason, autowallas were reluctant to come to Ghorpari from MH CTC. They adviced us to go to MH road to get an auto to Ghorpari. Almost everyday, we found an autowalla who, along with the free advice, also offered to drop us off at MG road for free! Such kindness was out of this world.
I had just bought a flat in Hyderabad at that time. After the EMI was deducted, my salary as a Sergeant (Airframe fitter) in the IAF was barely enough to make ends meet. Every rupee saved due to the kindness of the autowallas counted!
Not only that. Everytime we went shopping in Pune, we obviously looked for cheap deals. This was so obvious in our approach, but no shopkeeper or onlooker in Pune ever spoke to us in a careless or derogatory manner. They were all kind and went out of their way to find us suitable deals.
I have great respect for Marathi people in general and Punekars in particular.

PS: That little girl is completely cured of her heart ailment and is now a fashion designer working for C&A, happily married and settled in Germany.
Enobarbus is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 11:40   #978
BHPian

Probably the most memorable trip of my life happened in April, 2019. Started for Cooch Behar on the 14th of April (Poila Boishakh), 2019 from Kolkata in our Creta around 1800 hours for my nephew's wedding ceremony.

We took the fastest route suggested by Google Maps at that time via Asansol towards Siliguri. Due to the ongoing elections, we encountered a lot of security checks along the way and had pictures taken of our car interiors. Crossing Farakka was surprisingly a breeze.

An interesting incident happened before reaching Dumka. Our car skidded out of control at a speed of around 60 kmph and started doing random 180 degree turns for no apparent reason. Somehow we were able to gain some control and brought the car to a standstill at the side of the road. Luckily we didn't hit anything, none of us were injured and the car was ok too except getting a smattering of apparent mud everywhere. Helpful locals gathered there and checked on us. We later found out that the car had rolled over a very shallow pothole filled with thin and small stone chips, some type of thick automobile oil, mud and water. We were informed by the locals that we were very lucky that some trucks had left that place seconds before our car lost control, else we might have hit them. Anyway after cleaning our car windscreen with soap and water sourced from a few helpful truckers, we regained our composure and moved on.

Fear of congestion forced us to take bypass routes where possible which too were surprisingly packed with heavy vehicles reducing traffic movement to a standstill in most cases or to a crawl at best Special mention should be made for the Krishnanagar Bypass road and the Dalkhola Bypass road which took us around 3 hours each to cover. Our average speeds in each of these stretches were 2-3 kmph only. Moving on, we completed our trip of 850 kms and reached our destination around 1800 hours on the 15th of April, 2019. It took us around 24 hours to complete the whole trip with continuous driving barring a few food and washroom breaks along the way. Cooking was, as usual, done inside the car (to save time) and washroom facilities were availed in large State-Owned Fuel stations.

RETURN TRIP was started around 0030 hours on the 18th of April, 2019 as we had to rush back to Kolkata to attend to some personal matters. This time we took the shortest route suggested by Google maps. We were feeling very sleepy along the way. So we parked inside a large State-owned fuel station and set up camp inside the car at around 0230 hours. We woke up around 0500 hours and continued towards Kolkata. This time too we encountered more heavy vehicles with speeds reduced to an average of 40 kmph as a result. Add to that election campaigning at Raiganj and the result was complete mayhem with large crowds spilling onto the national highway. To add to the woes, large sections of the national highway were cordoned to facilitate fast movement of VIP's vehicles. Moving on we encountered standstill heavy vehicle traffic from around 60 kms from Kolkata right upto Jessore Road. While fending off sleep, we reached home around 0130 hours on 19th of April, 2019 safely.

Another incident that comes to mind is about how we tackled road bullies with serious cooperation from Bihar Police at the border near Dumka in Nov, 2018 as can be seen from the dashcam footage here -

There was another time about 30-35 years ago when we were driving through Kaziranga forest during the day and found a fully grown adult one-horned rhino blocking the road at a distance of about 20 metres from our 1986 Ambassador. It stared at us intently for about 5-6 minutes and then suddenly decided to charge at us. By the time we had engaged reverse gear, it had already reached us and with one swing of its head took out the left headlight assembly, slightly bent the front bumper and skidded to a stop behind us. By the time it turned around, we had already changed to forward gears and floored the accelerator.

Finally, I remember the time when we survived a major accident in 1997 or 1998. I cannot remember exactly. We were travelling to Guwahati from lower Assam through Meghalaya again in our 1986 Ambassador and had to engage the services of a driver due to certain medical issues. However, much to our woe, we found that the driver had a mad penchant for speed. For example, he was taking hairpin turns at anywhere between 60 and 80 kmph. Despite our repeated warnings, he would invariably speed up after momentarily slowing down when rebuked and then the inevitable happened. He took a blind turn at about 90 kmph and our car got kissed by a Tata 1210 truck. The impact was such that the right headlight was stuck to the steering column. Miraculously all of us survived with zero injuries and our car, thankfully, didn't go off the road because there was an unbarricaded 70-80 foot drop there. Anyway, that same driver took us the rest of the way to Guwahati in our car while driving between 20-40 kmph

Last edited by Aditya : 13th January 2020 at 15:54. Reason: Paragraph spacing
Chhanda Das is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 16:28   #979

While I was travelling from Hyderabad to Vijayawada on the high-way (toll road), at one of the GMR toll plazas there was a huge queue (no fastag at that time) as it was Sankranthi festival week. My car was full with - me driving, wife, parents and 2 year old son. While we were waiting in the long queue, we were busy talking to each other.

Suddenly a guy appeared of nowhere and asked me to open the boot signaling as if he wants to check the boot. I initially thought he could be a police in civil dress doing those regular checks on highways. But was apprehensive, still slid down my window and asked why is the inspection happening near the toll lane but not at the check-post. I said, I will take the car aside once I cross the toll-plaza and get down if he wants to inspect. I was not afraid because there were too many vehicles around.

He suddenly said its not required and left from there quickly. I tried to see where he was heading but since the line was moving slowly, I couldn't pay attention. Somewhere in the back of my mind I think some face inspections happen in unusual places where cars slow down and if we open the boot they might take away things in the boot and run away. I feel good for not opening the boot then. Back then I shared this experience with my friends and wanted to share here with fellow BHP-ians.
achagamreddy is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 17:52   #980
BHPian

This happened last year when I was traveling to the airport from my home near Sarjapura. I had booked an Ola cab at around 11 in the night because my flight was at around 2 AM.
Usually cabs traveling to the airport from my place, take the Whitefield-Devanahalli road instead of going through the city. While this road is pretty good, it has lots of empty sections, with barely anyone visible for miles.

So on this night, we had crossed the Whitefield railway station area, and were approaching the Kolar highway. Near this point, Google always suggests a small detour through a small village, to save probably 0.5 kms in distance. I avoid taking this route, but the taxi drivers always take this route.

Just outside this village, near a completely empty stretch of road, one guy waved and asked us to stop our car. Remember that this was around slightly past mid night. The driver stopped and lowered the window and one guy sticks his head in and tells us that his bike broke down and he needs a lift till Devanahalli. He said that he was returning from work and his home is near Devanahalli, where someone will come and pick him up. He had his helmet with him, but I couldn't really see his bike.

The driver said that it was not up to him to give a lift and told him to ask me. Without thinking, I said that he could join us. Now, the guy gets in and starts talking to the driver in Kannada, of which I can only understand a few words. Now my brain goes into over drive and I started remembering all the Robert Ludlum novels that I had read when I was younger. All the newspaper articles where the Uber/ Ola driver looted/killed their passengers started flashing through my brain. What if the driver and this guy were in cahoots and had planned this before hand? What if they stopped the car at some remote location and loot me? I had my precious Xbox One X in my luggage in the boot afterall .

The driver and the guy kept talking through the whole journey, while I was getting tense whenever we were at an empty stretch of road. This went on for the whole 40-50 kms of the journey. Finally, when we were near the airport, the guy requested the driver to stop the car and got down. After that, he thanked me profusely for giving him a lift in the middle of the night and repeated "God bless you sir" so many times, that I ended up feeling very stupid for having doubts during the journey .
Newpunter is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 19:08   #981
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Near this point, Google always suggests a small detour through a small village, to save probably 0.5 kms in distance.
I've taken this route a couple of times and it indeed would be fairly deserted at night to prompt fears and worst-case scenarios.

While this episode had a pleasant ending, I think it is important to plan for contingencies in such cases. Call someone and let them know you're traveling, explicitly mentioning the reg. no. and the route taken, loud enough for the driver/hitchhiker to hear.
libranof1987 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 14:18   #982
BHPian

This happened way back in 2012 IIRC.

I was doing my Masters and Delhi and just after a day our 3rd trimester exams ended, me and a couple of my friends decided to go for rafting in Rishikesh, that too in December. It was a bike trip and we were 3 of us on 3 bikes - CBZ, Pulsar 150, and GS 150. We went for the trip, had a good time and were returning after 2 days.

We started from Rishikesh and after riding for close to 5 hours we stopped for a quick break near Modinagar. After we had some tea and other snacks, a guy came from behind and offered to pay our bill and we felt weird to hear that a guy whom we don't know wants to pay our bill.

So we said no, however, he was insisting. We asked for the reason and he said that he is from Rishikesh and was driving with his family to Delhi for the first time. He didn't know the routes and was not habitual of driving in the plains. So he was following us from Rishikesh in his car (since we had DL number plates so he thought that we must be going to in or around Delhi). We were astonished to hear this. And he said that it would just be a token of appreciation if we would let him pay the bill and we had no words to say to him.

He paid the bill and then we asked him to follow us and we also started driving bit more sedately so that he can follow us easily. At the Delhi border we stopped and asked him where he wanted to go and guided him while we went towards our college hostel

I would forever remember the sequence of event and we genuinely felt good after coming back.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 14th January 2020 at 23:27. Reason: Typo
Amit_breakfree is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 15:43   #983
BHPian

We were 10 people on the way to Sabarimala from Chittoor in a Matador van. It's around 2 PM and were heading to Bhavani temple after crossing Mettur dam. Roads were generally good and were able to maintain a good speed of about 65-70 KMPH and were at KuthiraikaalMedu village. Suddenly our Guru swamy (Head of the gang) jokingly said, " Inga parupa yaroda vandi tire O thanaa pogudhu - pavam" (See there, someone's vehicle tire is rolling down seperately) Before we could understand what he said, our driver cried "Namba vandi tire dhan swamy adhu" (Its our vehicles tire only). Our driver realized it was the front right wheel of the van and we have lost control.. Van steered into the right towards the valley not so deep and dense, but, enough to make the maximum damage. Our eyes froze and I held on to my dad and brother. Somehow our driver could steer the vehicle a bit left and we banged on to a tree and the van came stand still. That steel bumper saved us from the glass getting shattered. It took us a minute or two to understand we were safe. I still hear that "Swamiyae Saranam Chantings" in my subconscious mind.

Soon a family from the village, just opposite to the accident site, rushed to us and were quick in pulling the van back. They kept some huge stones underneath the tires, so that, it will not roll down. One of the family member who is well learnt on the valley went on to help the driver to fetch the lost wheel. We know that until we get the driver back, we will not be proceeding further. The family welcomed us with a warm heart into their home, gave tea and arranged a sumptuous dinner. Helped us to stay there for the entire night. We exchanged our telephone no's and bid bye to them the next day afternoon.

We still visit that family and the tree (lost it in some road widening a few years ago) as a ritual for the past 28 years and mark it as a place to stop in our Sabarimala trip.
saisree is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 12:04   #984
Senior - BHPian

We were driving to Chennai from Bangalore during the last week of December. It was a good 9 PM when we were in the worst stretch of the highway. There were 2 cabs and an Innova that kept bullying me, by cutting me off and honking, flashing headlights incessantly, even though there was no way they could get ahead in between slow moving container lorries and company buses. A TN-99 registered Crysta appeared behind me, and I'd noticed that the indicators were used properly for lane changes and the headlights were in low beam while behind another vehicle. Soon, the Crysta overtook me, and returned the favour to the bullying vehicles. I felt as if the Crysta driver was helping us (my car had a Baby on board tag, and I wasn't cutting off anyone or showing any haste). After we passed the hasty drivers, we were driving sedately albeit at decent clips. We exchanged positions at times, and it was a good drive till the Crysta turned off at Poonamallee
silversteed is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 21:37   #985
BHPian

Not funny, not heartwarming, but quite unusual. Dude walking around with a pistol in hand!

I was driving on the GKVK road going from Sahakar Nagar side to the Vidyaranyapura side. Saw two guys in hoodie sweatshirts walking with a strange demeanor. Even from a distance of 200-300 meters, I could spot some suspicious looking "thing" in the left hand of one of the guys.

As I came closer, I could see a pistol in his hand! This was in broad daylight. Maybe 3pm or so. I couldn't catch their faces well enough (hoodie), but hope nothing untoward transpired.
Old 27th January 2020, 22:45   #986
BHPian

Noticed a guy on a scooter bobbing along in traffic. Moved a bit closer and this is what it was.

Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road-bounce.jpg

The guy was riding away unfazed (probably a Bounce employee taking it to get it fixed, but still very wrong and dangerous).
They do stick to their name - "Bounce" Bike Rentals
arbaz906 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 08:00   #987
Distinguished - BHPian

(Not sure if this is the correct thread to post this.) Did something very stupid this week, am fortunate to have gotten away without consequences.

Was in a hurry to get to an appointment and parked the bike at a designated bike parking spot in a street adjoining a metro station. Got back after more than three hours and saw that I had left the bike keys on the bike the whole time!

Was between 7am and 10am in the morning, so I guess that was why the bike was still there. Plus I don't have a key chain, so I guess the slim black key is not obviously noticeable on the panel. It's a black Pulsar too, which I think I remember reading is according to the cops the most commonly lifted bike in cities!

Last edited by am1m : 29th January 2020 at 08:03.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 09:48   #988
Distinguished - BHPian

How in blazes did they get the car up?
Old 29th January 2020, 10:03   #989
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
My friend shared these on Whatsapp, looks like it’s from bangalore
Few more images received on WhatsApp!

Mostly this was done to promote a TV show/serial.

Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road-img20200124wa0047.jpg

Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road-img20200124wa0049.jpg

Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road-img20200124wa0050.jpg

The name says "One for Aarti and one for Keerti"

Last edited by paragsachania : 29th January 2020 at 10:04.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 10:43   #990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Few more images received on WhatsApp!
The name says "One for Aarti and one for Keerti"
I wonder how they got the approval for this promo?, would hate to be next to it near our world famous road humps

Most Viewed