Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2018, 22:11   #2281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Attibele toll now has a board saying "Fastag activated in all lanes"
So, is there any possibility that the sensors/readers of adjoining lanes will catch the signal from your vehicle and you can get billed thrice simultaneously, your lane, lane on your left, lane on your right?
Old 4th February 2018, 22:26   #2282
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
So, is there any possibility that the sensors/readers of adjoining lanes will catch the signal from your vehicle and you can get billed thrice simultaneously, your lane, lane on your left, lane on your right?
It got deducted correctly for me, today. Good thing about this is, we can avoid last minute lane changes.
Old 4th February 2018, 23:00   #2283
BHPian

My experience with FastTag from ICICI Bank, including a recent replacement and another tag from Paytm.

Getting FasTag - ICICI

I got mine about 2 years back from NHAI office in Delhi. They have a person from ICICI operating from there. I had to get my vehicle, original and copy of Driving License, Registration Certificate and PAN. The process was smooth but I needed to go on a weekday as the NHAI office is closed on weekends and the ICICI person said he didn’t work on Saturdays!

Anyways, long story short, I managed to get away from my office on a weekday slightly early and got the elusive tag on the car.

The ICICI person insisted on pasting the tag himself and I suspected by the time he was done he would have broken part of the dashboard or some other part of the car. Thankfully, sense prevailed on my friend and he allowed me to paste the tag. A joint effort ensued with my new friend guiding on alignment and me pasting the tag.

Usage

I have primarily used it between Delhi - Rajasthan – Madhya Pradesh – Gujarat - Haryana - Punjab - Uttar Pradesh - Uttarakhand.

The experience has been good. The tag lanes are better managed when doing Delhi – Chandigarh route.

Delhi – Rajasthan is chaotic. You may get lucky once in a while but most likely you will be spending some time on the tag lane.

Delhi – Uttar Pradesh/Uttarakhand hasn’t seen the tag lanes working in essence i.e., doesn’t really matter if you have a tag or not. Tag readers invariably don’t work and they would try and dissuade you to even go on tag lanes. Recent visits though indicate a change in attitude for better. But still a long way to go.

Payment from Tag

Mixed experience here. At times no deduction to double deduction. Though I have heard from friends that if they paid cash not being on the tag lane but the RFID reader (from adjacent tag lane) seems to have deducted money as well. I don’t know how this was eventually resolved, if at all. So, if anyone has similar experience – I would be keen to know.

The charges are also erratic how they are posted / updated on sms. Mostly, sms is real time and then there are times when the sms never comes. For those who don't log into online account to check the usage and toll charges there is no way to know how these have been charged on the tag. Paytm, I am told is better in this aspect as you can see the usage and charges on the app itself.

Replacement

Last year August (2017) on my return from Jodhpur the windshield cracked near Manesar. While I went about replacing the windshield, I had to peel off the tag. It was another 4 months by when I could initiate the process of getting the replacement tag.

Having got the tag from the NHAI office, I walked in with optimism that I should be able to get the replacement tag in 2 visits. Once I went in I realized it wasn’t as simple as I thought it to be.

The ICICI person wasn’t going to be there for next 15 days – marriage in the family. The NHAI folks were cooperative and it was a genuine surprise. They made few calls and I was connected to another person who was supposed to be the guy looking after during these 15 days. I was asked to email a copy of the RC and picture of the damaged tag. I kept on emailing and the ICICI person said he wasn’t getting my emails! I tried both from Gmail and office email. Somewhere it occurred to me there could be attachment size restriction and I was correct. Apparently, 2 mb file size limit at ICICI for my contact. As I had clicked HD picture it was more than the allowed file size. Anyways, I was happy this was resolved and I will get the tag in few days.

A week went by. Nothing. No response to emails and nothing to text msgs. But I preserved and kept chasing.

In comes the Paytm Tag for another car

In parallel having undergone this experience with ICICI bank, I decided to get a Paytm tag for my wife’s car. This was influenced by few of the Bhpians from Delhi NCR opting for Paytm (Ashir and Nohonking). Process was smooth. All online. Tag came by courier in a week.

Having got another tag from Paytm and having got a good experience I was reconciling to giving up the ICICI bank tag, seek a refund of the unused money to my ICICI bank account and getting the Paytm for my car too.

As last attempt – I wrote an email to my good friend at ICICI. Mentioning, (i) awesome experience with Paytm, (ii) passage of nearly a month or more without any progress for replacement tag and (iii) I was traveling out of Delhi soon and needed a solution.

My friend responded. But said I needed to visit Videocon Tower in Central Delhi to collect the replacement tag and that I will be charged Rs. 200 for it.
Some traction at last – a response. But this meant I had to waste nearly 1 day / 4-5 hours if not more. Few emails and Paytm example later my friend agreed to courier the replacement tag. Courier was received earlier this week. Rs. 200 was charged to my account and money deducted from my tag account. The tag was pre-activated and nothing needed to be done from my side. I got sms about deactivation of the previous tag and linking the new one to my vehicle.

When compared to the earlier tag, I noticed the replacement tag was bit long and the RFID patch was as well. More or less same dimension as the Paytm tag.

I put on the replacement tag and tried it out yesterday on our breakfast drive to Karnal. Smooth sailing. Read about our meet here:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...-2018-a-2.html

Paytm Tag

Yet to use it on highway. I will update if there is anything worthwhile to share. I am curious how the payment will work for Paytm tag. It has Rs. 115 in balance and doesn’t give an option to add more. Bhpian Ashir says wallet money will move to toll wallet. He has a Paytm tag.

FasTag lanes at Panipat toll – 2 February 2018:

It was interesting to see yesterday the toll operator having 2 lanes now for FasTag, (i) cars and (ii) trucks. This is a good development. With fleet operators moving to FasTag this was becoming a necessity.

To conclude, I feel the Fastag or the tag usage, how these are managed and everything else that comes with this will evolve significantly over the next 2 years albeit it also depends on who remains in charge of the highways in 2019 and after.

Last edited by Traveller Nayak : 4th February 2018 at 23:07.
Traveller Nayak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 08:51   #2284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have crossed the Attibele toll gate quite a few times after they installed FASTag scanners on all booths - no duplicate/triplicate deductions so far. This is probably the only place where it's been an uneventful affair since the time I got FASTag - deduction happens only once and I get the SMS alert also in a few minutes of passing it.
Old 5th February 2018, 11:47   #2285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Note that what Arun has posted is from Attibele toll and its is the very output of the implementation of Hybrid scanners across all NHAI toll booths to expand the FASTag usage and support the increasing users.

This is already in place at many booths on the Bangalore-Mumbai highway since almost 3 months. At few places (Chalageri and Hebbalu booths), they had closed down the FASTag lane fully and when I asked the guard to move the barricade, he responded that 'All lanes are FASTag'.

The only thing we expect now is a replacement text that says 'All lanes equipped with FASTag Scanners' so that motorists don't have to trouble themselves getting into the FASTag lane on a typical rush day or even look like a fool waiting at the FASTag lane when other lanes have no vehicles!

Regarding your question on double deduction from scanners on adjacent booths, I don't think that it will be a case going further.

What I have noticed at booths with these Hybrid scanners is that the attendant has to be told that you have a FASTag and he does something inside and the barricade instantly opens (less than 5 seconds stationary time). Couple of places, the display sign lights up with 'VALID TAG' and the vehicle number displayed below and the barricade opens.

These scanners are designed to pick up reading only from that particular booth and not like before where there was just one scanner in a FASTag lane and we experienced double deductions because we also paid cash on the adjacent lane (My very first transaction with FASTag was this ).
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 12:58   #2286
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, is there any possibility that the sensors/readers of adjoining lanes will catch the signal from your vehicle and you can get billed thrice simultaneously
I don't think it will happen. There was a mail from ICICI few months back, remember someone sharing it here too. It mentions that duplicate deductions from the same toll will be removed from the back-end itself.

Dont remember the time duration they mentioned. I guess it was ~ 15 mins in which time frame duplicate deductions will be removed.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 13:20   #2287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
This is exactly what happened to me as well. A week after my supposed dispatch date, I get an SMS that my order has been canceled since I did not upload my documents. What a load of BS! I am not going ahead with them any more.
Even I am trying to move away from them. But Rs 150 has been allocated to my fastag and my tag was active, still my order was cancelled .
When I called them for clarification they have asked me to raise one more order so that they will ship my tag in 48 hours. This happened one week ago, but no update till now. I have uploaded RC in .JPG format.
Attached Thumbnails
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-fastag.jpg  

Last edited by Hickstead : 5th February 2018 at 13:43.
Old 5th February 2018, 13:29   #2288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Note that what Arun has posted is from Attibele toll and its is the very output of the implementation of Hybrid scanners across all NHAI toll booths to expand the FASTag usage and support the increasing users.

This is already in place at many booths on the Bangalore-Mumbai highway since almost 3 months. At few places (Chalageri and Hebbalu booths), they had closed down the FASTag lane fully and when I asked the guard to move the barricade, he responded that 'All lanes are FASTag'.

(Snip)
But this would essentially mean that the FASTag is only going to help from a cashless payment perspective and not a reduction in toll lines, at least until ~80% of the users adopt it.
Old 5th February 2018, 13:30   #2289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dont remember the time duration they mentioned. I guess it was ~ 15 mins in which time frame duplicate deductions will be removed.
There are 2 things here:
  • You take your vehicle through a cash lane at a booth that doesn't have Hybrid scanners (At all lanes)
  • You take your vehicle through a FASTag/Hybrid lane where all lanes have the Scanner

In case of the former, things were certainly not in place till recent past also when few had to call the customer care or log a ticket and get it resolved. This mostly used to happen when one ends up taking cash lane and the scanner deducts. So ideally, this cannot be a duplicate transaction but merely a scanned transaction while you paid in cash. And yes, in case of Arun, there were 2 transactions which happened to him while he had just parked his car at a food court atop the toll booth near Ongole. These were the days when there were no Hybrid scanner lanes and the usual dedicated scanner picked up signals from his car parked near the booth and deducted money, twice for which he had to raise a ticket with ICICI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Interestingly, Fastag deducted the toll charge twice. Once while parking and then while crossing the toll. I have raised a ticket for the same.
In case of the latter, its the question of how efficient and effective these scanners are in picking up and responding to tags from vehicles only from that particular lane and I guess so far (last 2 trips to Mumbai) and having passed many booths through a Hybrid lane, there have been zero instances of duplicate deductions for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
But this would essentially mean that the FASTag is only going to help from a cashless payment perspective and not a reduction in toll lines, at least until ~80% of the users adopt it.
Yes!! I think this reality has been accepted by most of us. I never call FASTag a time saver but refer to it as a Cashless experience :-)

Last edited by paragsachania : 5th February 2018 at 13:31.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 16:14   #2290
BHPian

A strange thing happened with my new Jazz's Paytm FasTag and toll both at Vashi. Last Friday was the first occasion, I got to cross a toll booth. Upon seeing the tag, the attendant let me pass( going as well as coming) . I was expecting the account to be deducted with the appropriate toll amount, but even after 5 days, no such luck. I now believe that the toll attendant thought that I have subscribed to their monthly pass scheme ( I am considering that it still exists) instead of FasTag.
Anyone with the same luck?

Updating from my phone: I guess above was beginners luck. FASTag isn't for Mumbai entry points toll booths. I had to pay today and was told that FASTag is only for highways. So much for the huge sticker on my windshield ( which was mandatory due to post-december 2017 purchase date)

Last edited by riteshritesh : 5th February 2018 at 16:40.
Old 5th February 2018, 18:21   #2291
Distinguished - BHPian

There is a Fastag counter at thoppur toll (Bangalore <->Salem stretch) with a board "Fastag available here". I think you can get the tag instantly here.

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-capture.jpg
arun_josie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 18:57   #2292
BHPian

A question for Paytm Fastag users:

Received the tag today after uploading the RC last week. The package had an 'Application form' along with the tag. Is one supposed to fill it and submit (again)?

Also, Paytm app already displays a Fastag wallet account with 150 Rs. balance on it. Does this mean the 'application form' is just redundant and I can go ahead and use the tag?
Old 5th February 2018, 20:45   #2293
BHPian

There was a lot of traffic on toll today and while waiting in fastag lane, the reader detected my tag while I was still 3 cars away.

And when I reached the point the gates did not open. So moved to cash lane and paid the cash, and on reaching home got the sms that the fastag toll has been deducted. So effectively one car went the tag lane for free while I paid twice.
Old 5th February 2018, 22:56   #2294
BHPian

ICICI credited 370/- to one of my tag. I have no clue why they did that but I am not complaining. The messages says it's for a trip I did in December, for that trip the amount charged was correct. It is not the cash back amount because I got the cash back last week.
Old 5th February 2018, 23:14   #2295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
A question for Paytm Fastag users:

Received the tag today after uploading the RC last week. The package had an 'Application form' along with the tag. Is one supposed to fill it and submit (again)?

Also, Paytm app already displays a Fastag wallet account with 150 Rs. balance on it. Does this mean the 'application form' is just redundant and I can go ahead and use the tag?
You do not need to fill and send it again. In the App, the tag should show as 'Active'. If it is in 'Inactive' state then you cannot start using it. Normally it should change to 'Active' within a couple of days of receipt of tag. But this depends on luck. For me it took multiple follow ups and re-upload of the RC to get it active.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed