Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2021, 06:04   #5941
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasraj_jog View Post
Hi,

Not travelled yet. So do not know how it goes. But based on earlier replies it should work. And a follow up query, do they still accept cash. I know we might have to pay double amount but it's ok
So far crossed 4 Toll Plazas between Bangalore and Sira on NH -48. No issues at all with Fastag on left (passenger side).
Also, in case anyone wants to know, Airtel Payment Bank Fastag works very smoothly.
Old 24th December 2021, 19:23   #5942
BHPian

Dear BHPians,

Some of us are apprehensive/uncomfortable about having stuck the fastag on left/right or some corner of the front windshield instead of sticking it right under the centre rear view mirror as mandated by some knowledgeable.
Let me tell you my experience, I received my fastag by post and simply took out the fastag from the envelope and placed it on the dashboard in front of the driver close to the windshield without even uncovering the sticker which is stuck over the fastag circuit AND what a surprise my fastag is working at every toll plaza. I'm being granted transit within seconds at any toll plaza and toll amount deducted from my fastag.
To add further I would also like to mention that I'm using my fastag 2 years after I had received it from paytm, in short I hadn't used my new fastag for 2 years since Dec-2019, I started using my fastag for the first time since Dec-21.
Secondly, for these 2 years my fastag was kept inside the compartment of armrest but the toll plaza sensors never detected it.

Last edited by Sushil Pingua : 24th December 2021 at 19:27. Reason: Proof reading
Sushil Pingua is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 13:23   #5943
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Just received a SMS today in the evening that 70 Rs has been dedcuted from myFast tag wallet at Anewadi Toll Plaza which is close to Satara in Maharasthtra while my car is parked at my home in Mumbai. I hope the issue gets solved.
Hope the debit was a mistake and these tags are not being duplicated!

If you don't get a resolution and there's another unauthorised debit, it would be better if you cancel the tag and get a new one either from your current provider or another tag issuer

PS - be prepared to wait as they take a long time to resolve disputes.

Last edited by R2D2 : 25th December 2021 at 13:25.
R2D2 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 14:39   #5944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Hope the debit was a mistake and these tags are not being duplicated!

If you don't get a resolution and there's another unauthorised debit, it would be better if you cancel the tag and get a new one either from your current provider or another tag issuer

PS - be prepared to wait as they take a long time to resolve disputes.
I got an update in mail that I will getting the deducted amount added into my fast tag wallet by 11th of next month. Will wait and see if that happens. I hope it does not happen again. In that case will surely get the tag cancelled.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 25th December 2021 at 14:53.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 14:52   #5945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Just received a SMS today in the evening that 70 Rs has been dedcuted from myFast tag wallet at Anewadi Toll Plaza which is close to Satara in Maharasthtra while my car is parked at my home in Mumbai.
Exactly same thing happened with my FastTag issued by ICICI. I immediately called them up and raised the dispute. They took the complaint and gave me a reference number. The money got refunded in about 10 days.
dmplog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 19:00   #5946

I just came back from trip to Chikmagalur. My fast tag is on the left side. It worked at almost all tolls except 1 while going and 2 while coming back. The toll gate operator used some hand held scanner to scan the tag
Old 26th December 2021, 11:09   #5947
Senior - BHPian

Had a weekend Mumbai trip, but at 4 AM on Friday the workhorse's TPMS showed a possible puncture. So had to take the less-used one to the airport.

Though I didn't expect it to and was prepared to pay double toll, I was glad that its Fastag worked without a fault at the Devanahalli toll - the last time this particular tag got charged was in Jan 2020.

So conclusion - Paytm doesn't deactivate unused tags, at least within 24 months. Could be tied to the fact that the same account has another tag that was in constant use during this period.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 12:22   #5948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushil Pingua View Post
I received my fastag by post and simply took out the fastag from the envelope and placed it on the dashboard in front of the driver close to the windshield without even uncovering the sticker which is stuck over the fastag circuit AND what a surprise my fastag is working at every toll plaza.
Given that fastag s based on RFID, this is expected.

But still, we have the toll plaza staff sometimes directing us to bring the car exactly to some point before the tag gets read.

Any good reasons for this? Is it not meant to get read as long as it is within a reasonable range of the reader?
Old 26th December 2021, 12:30   #5949
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Let me tell you my experience, I received my fastag by post and simply took out the fastag from the envelope and placed it on the dashboard in front of the driver close to the windshield without even uncovering the sticker which is stuck over the fastag circuit AND what a surprise my fastag is working at every toll plaza. I'm being granted transit within seconds at any toll plaza and toll amount deducted from my fastag.
It is better to get the tag stuck on the windshield simply because the tag could get damaged when placed on the dashboard or moving/handling it.
Old 26th December 2021, 13:39   #5950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
Given that fastag s based on RFID, this is expected.

But still, we have the toll plaza staff sometimes directing us to bring the car exactly to some point before the tag gets read.

Any good reasons for this? Is it not meant to get read as long as it is within a reasonable range of the reader?
I roll my vehicle at around 10-15kmph in the last 20-25 metres to the toll booth window where the operator sits. Some vehicles zoom into the toll booth and brake hard at the last moment in front of the booth's window. Rolling the vehicle slow in the last 25-30 mtrs lets the sensors catch the fastag. I believe my rolling style has never let the sensor take more than a few seconds to make my exit from the toll booth.

Last edited by Sushil Pingua : 26th December 2021 at 13:45. Reason: Proofreading
Sushil Pingua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 13:41   #5951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
It is better to get the tag stuck on the windshield simply because the tag could get damaged when placed on the dashboard or moving/handling it.
I don't pay at all toll booths. So i do not intend to stick the fastag onto the windshield.
And you are right in your apprehension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Had a weekend Mumbai trip, but at 4 AM on Friday the workhorse's TPMS showed a possible puncture. So had to take the less-used one to the airport.
So conclusion - Paytm doesn't deactivate unused tags, at least within 24 months. Could be tied to the fact that the same account has another tag that was in constant use during this period.
I do not have any expenditure history with paytm nor have any secondary account attached to my primary paytm account.
I used my fastag successfully in the 24th month after I purchased it, works good.

Last edited by Sheel : 26th December 2021 at 14:51. Reason: Please edit or multi quote (QUOTE +) your replies instead of back to back posts on the same thread. Thanks.
Old 27th December 2021, 12:55   #5952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't pay at all toll booths. So i do not intend to stick the fastag onto the windshield.
As far as I know Fastags are capable of charging you 0 toll where you are entitled to it (proximity rules etc.). So that needn't be the reason for not sticking it.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 14:14   #5953
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As far as I know Fastags are capable of charging you 0 toll where you are entitled to it (proximity rules etc.). So that needn't be the reason for not sticking it.
Correct. I have 2 tolls nearby where I have a 'local pass', and both are updated in my FASTag. I'm not charged at either.

In your case, to truly avoid a unwanted debit, you'll need to put the tag into a Faraday pouch every time. Don't know if this is feasible or not.

Last edited by itwasntme : 27th December 2021 at 14:16.
Old 27th December 2021, 14:35   #5954
BHPian

Quote:
This year in 2021 I've travelled over 8000kms across 4 states in my car and spent around Rs.600/- Only on toll tax.
This year it comes to average of Rs.75/- Only for every 1000 kms that i travel.
My expenditure on toll taxes certainly reflects my reasoning
Old 27th December 2021, 15:19   #5955
BHPian

People from Pune might know that MH12/MH14 regd cars are exempt toll at Khed-Shivapur toll plaza. Has anyone tried placing the RFID blocking wallet/purse at these tolls and gotten away with no deduction?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks