Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2022, 03:02   #6091
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Hello all. I’d need assistance from someone who’s faced a situation like below.

I will be using my relative’s car for the next few days who have an SBI Fastag. However, I don’t like to use their Fastag account due to several personal reasons and planning on covering this tag for that while and get a new Fastag of my own for the same vehicle. I’ve a workaround to prevent the RFID of the existing one being scanned but would like to know if I can use the new Fastag procured by me. In this case, I have ordered the Paytm Fastag and awaiting delivery.

My concerns are that the existing Fastag should not be closed or impacted or blacklisted and the new one should work without any fuss.

Request someone with firsthand experience on similar experience to shed some light.

Last edited by raiuday : 7th June 2022 at 03:04.
Old 7th June 2022, 10:20   #6092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiuday View Post
... and get a new Fastag of my own for the same vehicle..... In this case, I have ordered the Paytm Fastag and awaiting delivery.
A second Fastag will usually not be issued for the same vehicle when the existing one is active.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 10:23   #6093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Request someone with firsthand experience on similar experience to shed some light.
1. Ask them the opening Fastag balance and closing Fastag balance, and reimburse them the difference.

2. Reload their Fastag yourself to the extend of your usage via UPI (netc.vehicleno@bank).

Nothing else is foolproof.
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 10:39   #6094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
1. Ask them the opening Fastag balance and closing Fastag balance, and reimburse them the difference.

2. Reload their Fastag yourself to the extend of your usage via UPI (netc.vehicleno@bank).

Nothing else is foolproof.
Agree, these are the best bet. Unless the OP doesnt want the car owner to know the location /route. Even then, getting a second tag while first one is active might be troublesome and may not be a feasible option. Please decide carefully so that original tag does not get blacklisted/inactive.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 11:05   #6095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Agree, these are the best bet. Unless the OP doesnt want the car owner to know the location /route.
Thanks for the inputs. The problem is that I’m taking a senior couple’s car whose Fastag is linked to their son’s mobile number and I don’t have such good a contact with him. Though they’ve had a word with him, I for one since I don’t have a direct connect with him felt it’s good to have my own Fastag rather than bombarding his phone with Fastag messages and also a hint of my personal privacy is also there. Just that I use their car doesn’t mean I’ll have to give them personalised alerts every 60 kms on the highway though they know the route I’m taking.
raiuday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 11:33   #6096
BHPian

A second Fastag can be issued for the same vehicle. However, it has to be from a different entity. Eg. If the first tag is from ICICI then the other cannot be from ICICI but can be issued from kotak or paytm or airtel. Also the first tag should not be blacklisted due to low balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
A second Fastag will usually not be issued for the same vehicle when the existing one is active.
Old 7th June 2022, 11:56   #6097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
A second Fastag can be issued for the same vehicle. However, it has to be from a different entity. Eg. If the first tag is from ICICI then the other cannot be from ICICI but can be issued from kotak or paytm or airtel. Also the first tag should not be blacklisted due to low balance.
The main criteria here is that first fastag should not be impacted. That is - it should remain on the windshield and be active when the car is returned to the owner. How can this be achieved, if OP wants to order and use another fastag, is a big question mark. I don't think there is any option to deactivate original tag for time being and use second tag and then revert to original tag when car is back with the owner.
Old 7th June 2022, 12:42   #6098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...rather than bombarding his phone with Fastag messages and also a hint of my personal privacy is also there.
If you are sure about your means to cover the existing Fastag such that it won't be read, then you could do so and pay by cash when you travel. Provided that you don't mind paying any extra charges for paying by cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
A second Fastag can be issued for the same vehicle. However, it has to be from a different entity.
This report in the Economic Times provides some interesting information regarding the present implementation of Fastag and proposed changes.

The below extract seems to suggest that currently there is no direct way to get a second Fastag for a vehicle with an active Fastag, but only through workarounds, since the association between a Fastag and a vehicle number is permanent until it is closed.

Quote:
Extract:
In earlier cases of users wanting to switch FASTags, the vehicle number was tweaked by including the chassis number with it when registering a new FASTag on a vehicle with an existing one. This practise helped circumvent the permanence of FASTag linkage with a vehicle number.
PS: Found this on the IHMCL FASTag FAQ page.

Quote:
Pasting more than one FASTag on the same vehicle is a violation and will attract penalty.

Last edited by adisan : 7th June 2022 at 13:03.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 13:58   #6099
BHPian

Quote:

PS: Found this on the IHMCL FASTag FAQ page.
Thanks adisan.

This really helps. I certainly don’t want to end up on the wrong side of legal system and would go ahead with the existing Fastag itself.

Thanks everyone for your respective inputs. Much appreciated
raiuday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 15:30   #6100
BHPian

I myself have done it and that is why I am sure that second Fastag can be made from another entity - on the SAME vehicle number. Just go to any kiosk near the highway plaza and they will do it.
Quote:
The below extract seems to suggest that currently there is no direct way to get a second Fastag for a vehicle with an active Fastag, but only through workarounds, since the association between a Fastag and a vehicle number is permanent until it is closed.
autobahnjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 11:29   #6101
Senior - BHPian

Warning regarding fake Fastags
Source: https://ihmcl.co.in/

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-fakefastag.png
adisan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 19:46   #6102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Escalated on Twitter, got a legible response which required me to post a selfie with the KYC document that I had used to register with Paytm many years back for "authentication". Regardless, followed the drill only to get a "Your selfie is not clear" message. Realized that they are stalling and what followed was a very stern message from me. Within 24 hours, got an account closure confirmation email that I immediately confirmed. This included my Paytm Fastag closure for all of my cars - a poison I was willing to gulp simply because I had begun to abhor Paytm and its policies by this point. A story for another day.

All closed. Fastag refund with security credited to my bank account within 48 hours.

Post that, I immediately raised a request on Amazon Pay - ICICI for new Fastags for my wheels. Received all new Fastags with documentation within 4 days. As smooth as whipped cream.
You must thank your stars that Paytm closed your account and deactivated your fastag in 48hours.

I am stuck with Airtel wallet fastag, the wallet went dormant, so they dont allow me to recharge the fastag and they also refuse to activate the wallet, since the KYC is failing due to my name in my documents is different from the name on the wallet, my middle name is missing. What morons these airtel people are. While giving me the sim and activating my wallet, they didnt capture my name as per my document. Now for KYC, they need it to match.

So the only solution is to close my wallet. They asked me a list of documents, including aadhaar, picture of my damaged fastag(athough it was not damaged, they made me cut it)

Worst part is they will take 7 working days. I have a trip to Goa this saturday and the wallet is still active

I am now ready to pay the double toll by cash, since I live in Singapore and use this car during my vacation in Bangalore only for long trips.

I will still try to get one at the toll booth.

Can someone please tell me if a second fastag can be issued for my car while the 1st is active? I am planning to go with ICICI, I have an account with them too, but is an account with the bank necessary for a fastag to be issued, or can I just go to any bank?

Last edited by Aditya : 10th June 2022 at 19:35. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Old 9th June 2022, 20:22   #6103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post

Can someone please tell me if a second fastag can be issued for my car while the 1st is active? I am planning to go with ICICI, I have an account with them too, but is an account with the bank necessary for a fastag to be issued, or can I just go to any bank?
While I am not sure about legalities of second tag while first tag is active, I'd recommend to go with ICICI tag in case it works out for you. Getting it delivered to your place is even more seamless if you place order via your netbanking. I got mine in 3-4 working days after placing order. It fetches the KYC of your bank account so lesser headache and less paperwork. Also, there is feature in the bank app for auto top up when tag balance goes below some limit which you can set.

By the way, it is not necessary to have bank account to get the tag from any bank but ICICI fastag customer service is one of the best I have experienced so I am recommending it.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 9th June 2022 at 20:28.
Old 9th June 2022, 23:06   #6104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
but is an account with the bank necessary for a fastag to be issued, or can I just go to any bank?
Not at all. I got my Amazon - ICICI Fastag without being a customer of ICICI Bank. I am an Amazon Prime member, though, and I registered for Fastag via the Amazon app itself which redirected me to their dedicated Fastag website. ICICI even allotted me credentials to manage my Fastags online on their website.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 09:01   #6105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My concerns are that the existing Fastag should not be closed or impacted or blacklisted and the new one should work without any fuss.
Other than good suggestions by @binand, you could just cover the existing fastag with RFID shield (you said you have) and use cash at tolls. All plazas have a cash lane (usually extreme left). Some inconvenience, but, there are no free meals .

Hth,

-BJ

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks