Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2008, 11:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

Today morning i saw the HP station near by house also closed.. not sure if the chennai crisis has shifted to bangalore as well ?

already since last week we are getting only branded petrol i guess.. and now this problem!!
Old 1st July 2008, 11:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

It is also mentioned in todays newspapers : they are mentioning some "logistics issues".
Old 1st July 2008, 11:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday, I take my truck out and see the fuel warning light on. I go to the pump to find a 'NO DISEL' board. Return back, leave the truck and take the other petrol car which had about a quarter tank. Since there wasn't a long queue at 4PM, I thought I would fill it up at the outskirts after 6 ,only to realise It's HAPPENING in Chennai. Crowds of people and vehicles at every pump i pass through. Kilometre long queues before every fuel pump.
60 kilometres of rush hour traffic and I limp back home empty.
I have the choicest words for the govt. . Even worse ones for the 'WE WANT JUST PROFITS' oil companies.

Im joining the truck strike. No using fuel for the next 3 days. Im cycling or walking or working from home.
Old 1st July 2008, 11:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

The strike has been called off. So the situation should be manageable now.
Old 1st July 2008, 11:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

To add to this, all news channels in TVs are blowing their trumpets that threre is fuel shortage in Chennai and would likely to extend to other cities as well. This will only create more panic among public and panic button will be pressed. This will end up in even long queues. Don't know when our TV newschannels will learn for constructive news and not like these.
Old 1st July 2008, 12:21   #21
BHPian

Actually its good na that media is spreading this news.this may cause a country wide protest by consumers and may force govt to set the things right.
I guess someone should go and tell these Public Sector Oil companies the purpose of there existence.
Old 1st July 2008, 12:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

Yes there were some long Qs outside fuel pumps in Pune too, heard that lots of them had no Fuel sign posted all day.

Dont know whats the situation today.

Quote:
Actually its good na that media is spreading this news.this may cause a country wide protest by consumers and may force govt to set the things right.
Which Govt? The one who seems more focussed on getting the Nuclear deal signed than controlling the inflation?
Old 1st July 2008, 12:50   #23
BHPian

Lucky me. I filled up for 1000 bucks on sunday morning at the HP petrol pump near my house. Well i should not have any problems for the next three days and hopefully things come back to normal by then.
Old 1st July 2008, 13:11   #24
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

guys.. .there are 2 reasons

1. In chennai, because of logistics problem (whatever crap) diesel shortage.
2. From midnight today, all lorry (i guess allindia) are going in for strike. This could be the reason why there is shortage in other cities.

A link for the second one

Transporters? strike likely to paralyse economy- Shipping / Transport-Transportation-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Last edited by bharanidharang : 1st July 2008 at 13:13.
Old 1st July 2008, 13:11   #25
Team-BHP Support

I tried to fill up fuel from the HP bunk near Cosmos Mall (Bangalore) this morning and they had no normal petrol left. Decided i am not going to fall for the premium fuel ploy, and drove off. Hope the situation is better in the evening, else my car is going to get some rest, while the bike gets back into action.
Old 1st July 2008, 13:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

Nice thing this cycling, madan. Apart from saving fuel, it is great exercise too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80
i took my cycle and cycled to office today, 14kms - took me less time than i would take by car
Some queries :
1. How much time did it take you to reach office by cycle ?
2. How much does it take you by car ?
3. AFAIK, you stay at Chetpet and your office is on OMR. That is surely much more than 14kms. Or did your office move to some other place ?
4. What about cycling in the Chennai weather and reaching office all drenched in sweat ?
Old 1st July 2008, 14:46   #27
BHPian

Most of the bunks are still closed. I was lucky to find the bunk near my office in Venkatnarayana road dispensing petrol. The car que was moving normally unlike yesterdays 'Iraq-like' situation. Since i went by bike today to office, filled the tank in my bike and left the place. 2 more weeks of pure driving pleasure.

Did not face any rationing in the bunk, also cars were being tanked up, so anyone wants fuel and do not find it anyplace in the city, they can try the Ekayars BPCL bunk in Venkatnarayana road, T-nagar.

Last edited by anandtheleo : 1st July 2008 at 14:48. Reason: Address of the bunk.
Old 1st July 2008, 15:07   #28
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

first time in india i have seen price of diesel (black market) quoting at Rs. 65 a litre which is more than petrol (at Rs. 59 which is available at bunks).
Old 1st July 2008, 15:14   #29
BHPian

Whats happening

After yesterday's nightmare with trying to fill petrol, tried doing that today but still no luck in the morning. Madan, Good of you to cycle. I wish i could do the same, but thinking about fully sweating into office, turned me off.Because of this petrol shortage, saw a lots of people pushing their vehicles [probably ran out of petrol].
Old 1st July 2008, 15:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

@SB
Quote:
Some queries :
1. How much time did it take you to reach office by cycle ?
2. How much does it take you by car ?
3. AFAIK, you stay at Chetpet and your office is on OMR. That is surely much more than 14kms. Or did your office move to some other place ?
4. What about cycling in the Chennai weather and reaching office all drenched in sweat ?
it usually takes me bout an hour / hour and a half depending on traffic conditions. i did it in about 50 mins this morning.
as for the distance- have measured it- it is 14kms. office is now near lifeline -not after ASV suntech.
i came to office all drenched in sweat- had a wash and changed into office clothes after a liberal spray of deo. so i think its working.

it felt good- felt energetic and not tired as i expected.
I did this route / distance on sat- and was so exhausted- its not funny. now i just need to see if i cna sustain this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks