Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2014, 23:26   #781
BHPian

re: Car Vandalism!

Today morning while dropping my daughter to school a street urchin flung a huge stone at my moving car.

This was on a completely empty wide road in new town - yelahanka. I was driving at about 50kmph when i could see the boy from the edge of my line of vision pick up a stone from the roadside. He flung at my passing car with great force. The stone hit my left rear window - luckily the glass did not shatter on impact. I stopped the car ahead and reversed to find the boy still staring at me - he appeared to be of unsound mind. I scolded him and left it at that since i was getting delayed for the school.

Thinking about the incident later, i thanked my stars that the stone did not hit the windshield or the front window - if it had then me and my daughter would have been injured.

Bad way to start the day - posting this so that other BHPians be warned about this boy (aged about 15) who seems to be having a penchant for hurling stones at moving vehicles. My incident happend on New Town - Main Road No. 13 connecting Sheshadripuram college to Allasandra lake.

Posting a picture which shows the marks made on the window glass due to the impact.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Vandalism!-stone.jpg  

Rajeev1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 14:52   #782
BHPian

Happened last Sunday at around 14:25 near the Silk Board signal:

Car Vandalism!-13216867495_b7d0d7bed7_c.jpg

Car Vandalism!-13217186304_2bf56fb34f_c.jpg

I was by myself in the car driving on the ORR towards the Silk board signal. At the speedbreaker before the signal, there was probably a pothole on the left side where three two wheelers were riding and one of them swerved (none of them had rear-view mirrors, like most two-wheelers in the city) into the rear-left of my car (I was in the middle/right of the road) left a dent-less touch. I thought it was minor and was slowly going ahead to stop at the signal.

Soon I was surrounded by all of them (six in all, one of them was a woman). They started with the usual abuses but soon they wanted me to get out the car and participate. I refused and stayed in, pulled up the windows.

One of them started kicking my right front/rear door leaving those dents. At this point I picked up the phone to make a call.

That action made another one of them shatter the front windshield and they all left after that.

The lone traffic police person comes running towards me now to enquire, on recapitulating the flow of events to him, he asked me to lodge a complaint at the law-and-order police station at Madiwala. Headed there, finished up with the complaint, got then drove to Vecto (thanks to @nkrishap for making some quick calls) to drop the vehicle there in their premises.

So, yeah, be careful. Get a dashcam. And hope luck is on your side. I don't know what else to take away from this. And I really do hope that my insurance profile isn't tagged as "high risk". The total damage was nearly 20k.

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th July 2014 at 09:47. Reason: Avoid religious references. Thanks!
nareshov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 15:44   #783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
Happened last Sunday at around 14:25 near the Silk Board signal:

Soon I was surrounded by all of them. They started with the usual abuses but soon they wanted me to get out the car and participate. I refused and stayed in, pulled up the windows.

One of them started kicking my right front/rear door leaving those dents. At this point I picked up the phone to make a call..
This is crazy! I always stay away from these people.

Glad to know you are safe.

Yes, we need to start installing dashcam as early as possible.

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th July 2014 at 09:47. Reason: Quoted post edited.
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 17:54   #784
BHPian

Friends,

My wife is the latest to join this thread thanks to a few troubled souls. The i10 was subjected to torture twice in the past couple of months. In the first instance, the front tyre was slashed damaging the sidewalls.

This incident came as a blessing in disguise as now she knows to operate the jack. Jokes apart, it was a grin & bear situation and there was nothing she or I could have done.

In the second instance which happened last week, some one has left a long trail of scratches from the rear fender to the front passenger door, making sure he got it right and deep with successive attempts. Again a grin & bear situation.

Reading through this thread and a bevy of others on vandalism on cars, there are several which mention kids being the prime culprits. The reason for writing this is that a couple of days ago, I had been to my kids school (she is in LKG) for the start of term meetings.

Apart from the regular academic marvels which they promised us, One topic was deeply disturbing. The principal mentioned that there are a few kids who keep destroying or disturb the class in every manner. Emphatically she called then hyperactive. Some examples
  • Randomly attack the class furniture, decoration or run riot in the class by knocking down all objects within reach.
  • Constantly trouble other kids who are quietly going on about their business
  • Walking & Acting like a mentally challenged individual (unable to write the words the principal used) during the class hours or when called by the teacher.

I've had incidents in my own society where kids while playing had prised off the rear wiper from my neighbors car, in addition to several ingenious tricks like stuffing paper/stones in the exhaust, pouring water into the front grille etc.

The school counselor attributes this behavior to too much of cartoon/TV viewing. They are too young to distinguish make-believe vs reality, and if left unchecked this destructive trend grows with far reaching repercussions.

The need of the hour is to try & inculcate respect and channelize their abundant energy towards productive goals will help lessen this menace.

Till such time, the only recourse is to see it and weep

Cheers.
kutoos is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th July 2014, 18:05   #785
BHPian

Vandalism & Cars

Woke up in the morning after a good night's sleep, memories of the long drive the previous day still fresh on my mind. Had come to my grandma's place in Gulbarga, 240 kms from Hyderabad. Had parked my car in an empty land beside my grandma's house, as I did every time and it was always safe. But this morning was different. My aunt noticed it first and immediately called me, I went and was shocked to see someone had broken the front wind shield and had also managed to break away one of the wipers. There isn't anybody whom I can point my finger at since all the families staying in this lane are completely sane and it was for sure a work of some night-wanderers who decided to have some "fun" at my expense.
Immediately called up the sales person at VW Secunderabad who had helped me while purchasing my Polo.
He had been really helpful and so had his number saved incase of emergencies like these. Checked with him if an incident like this will be covered under insurance and if a police complaint or an FIR is mandatory. He said FIR is not required and just asked me to come back to Hyderabad and drop the car at the VW service center and the rest will be taken care of. We still had a day left before I could start back to Hyderabad, so covered the broken spot with some paper sheets and transparent plastic, thankfully the broken part is on the passenger side and the driver side visibility is still good, as well as the wiper. Took it out on a small test drive and it seemed manageable.
First thing I'll be doing once I reach Hyderabad is to book an appointment and get it fixed.
Though such a thing happened in a city like Gulbarga, it makes me wonder what if such a thing happened in some far off place where even getting your tire or coolant changed will be a challenge. Further to that, it still makes me wonder why only cars are the first choice for these vandals, what kind of ill-gotten pleasure they derive out of acts like these!
VWikram is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th July 2014, 22:59   #786
BHPian

Re: Vandalism & Cars

One Suggestion - Never drive with a broken windshield because when you are driving it might break and will cause an accident. As the strength & rigidity of the wind shield is compromised so be careful
Chalu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 15:26   #787
Senior - BHPian

My Grand i10 got its new scratches on the beautiful hood. Please pursue the images.
Its certainly deliberate attempt to hurt my car. Looks like I will have to just on with waggie.
My doubt is on a few individuals who work in different dept of the organization I work for. But cant take any legal steps without proof. A new camera for recording is need of the hour. Dash which can record after I have locked the car is on my list for this little car. Feeling bad and low, rather depressed after this incidence.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Vandalism!-img_20140929_150238.jpg  

Car Vandalism!-img_20140929_150249.jpg  

Old 29th September 2014, 16:03   #788
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
My Grand i10 got its new scratches on the beautiful hood. Please pursue the images.
Very sad to see stooping to such lows. Pains equally to see the scratches. Please try 2K rubbing compound. Use it with the directions on the container. Should help a lot in these types of scratches.

Good Luck!

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 22:03   #789
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its certainly deliberate attempt to hurt my car. Looks like I will have to just on with waggie.
My doubt is on a few individuals who work in different dept of the organization I work for. But cant take any legal steps without proof. A new camera for recording is need of the hour. Dash which can record after I have locked the car is on my list for this little car. Feeling bad and low, rather depressed after this incidence.
Scratchout also works great in these type of scratches. My 800 was also vandalised in a similar way. A 3m rubbing compound followed by Scratchout did the trick and the scratch is visible only if you closely hunt for it.
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2014, 06:52   #790
Senior - BHPian

God things people do to other people's property. I sincerely hope this thread does not grow much. I have been a victim too. My 5 month old 800 was scratched on the bonnet.This was way back in 1997.My civic was not spared either and has been a generous receiver of scratch marks courtesy nasty bicycle borne kids from the society who are completely oblivious to what it means to respecting other people's stuff.
Old 5th October 2014, 13:30   #791
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is the place you parked the day this happened covered by cctv? That would give you proper evidence.

Man, what kind of associates are in your organization. Damaging others cars like this. Amateurish behavior.

Also no dash cam can keep recording even when you are away from the car. Because the max battery life of dash cams Is 2 hours
Old 14th October 2014, 00:09   #792
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, apparently this happened.
Attached Images

mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 00:44   #793
BHPian

It is really sad to read these incidences of fellow BHP'ians. As others have said, I wonder what kind of fun do people get out of such acts.

Although it is not my car, it hurts me equally to see someone else's car being damaged without even a thought of what they are doing.

Let me narrate this incidence which I was a witness to a few years back. I and a couple of friends were eating at a road-side joint which is accompanied by several other such stalls. The stalls are frequented by affluent people as well and the cars are parked just beside these stalls. Two kids (must be in 4th-5th std.) from the nearby school casually walk past these cars with something sharp in their hand leaving long scratches on the entire length of the vehicles. One of the owners saw it in the nick of time and ran and caught hold of them.

These kids weren't even aware of what they had done to cars like Accord, City and 3 others. Obviously these kids weren't from well off families and the Accord guy was literally shouting at them at the top of his voice. I could clearly make out the expression on their faces which was like "What's the big deal? They are just long scratches." Now who will tell these kids how much it costs to fix even a 'scratch' on cars. Finally they had no other option but to let those kids go..

-Bhargav
Old 8th November 2014, 09:55   #794
Team-BHP Support

Last month we got scratches on the bonnet a week after the car got detailed. Suspect the kids in the apartment for that.

Yesterday, we got locked-in inside the house. Some kids just closed the apartment door from outside and ran away. Wonder what's happening to the young generation!
Old 9th November 2014, 02:49   #795
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
...Yesterday, we got locked-in inside the house. Some kids just closed the apartment door from outside and ran away. Wonder what's happening to the young generation!
Nothing has happened to the new generation. Most of this can be attributed as the mistakes of our generation (parents) who does NOT take enough responsibility for bringing up kids.

My sister doesn't like me scolding her kids even when they do a mistake. This further fuels them to continue doing mistakes. They always come up with the excuse "they are kids; they will learn when they grow up"!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th November 2014 at 02:51.
swiftnfurious is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks