Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2013, 23:58   #736
Senior - BHPian

re: Car Vandalism!

That's really sad!

Option 1:

Why not invest in a good quality car cover and secure it with a strap/ stones. It will make anybody think twice before attempting to damage it.

Option 2:

Get a motion detection security alarm that goes off as soon as somebody even touches your car.

Option 3: Install a wired/ wireless CCTV cam, that just focuses your car and monitor/record the footage 24X7.

I would never even consider going to the cops, which could incidentally be your Option 4.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 16th October 2013 at 00:01.
Old 16th October 2013, 00:21   #737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
That's really sad!

Option 1:

Why not invest in a good quality car cover and secure it with a strap/ stones. It will make anybody think twice before attempting to damage it.

Option 2:

Get a motion detection security alarm that goes off as soon as somebody even touches your car.

Option 3: Install a wired/ wireless CCTV cam, that just focuses your car and monitor/record the footage 24X7.

I would never even consider going to the cops, which could incidentally be your Option 4.

These kids seem determined to screw up my life.
- If I install a car cover, they'll tear through it.
- Motion detection alarm: Firstly VW will void the damn warranty, secondly, I don't want the alarm going of at random places if someone/thing happens to touch the car.
- CCTV cameras are effective at night?

Last edited by mango_pal : 16th October 2013 at 00:23.
Old 16th October 2013, 00:25   #738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_pal View Post
These kids seem determined to screw up my life.
If I install a car cover, they'll tear through it.
In any case, using a cover should atleast bring down the risk a few notches.

Quote:
CCTV cameras are effective at night?
Of course they are. Invest on a high quality infra red (night vision) camera. It has good visibility under low light conditions. Good enough to atleast identify the culprits.
Old 16th October 2013, 00:44   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Of course they are. Invest on a high quality infra red (night vision) camera. It has good visibility under low light conditions. Good enough to atleast identify the culprits.
Fair enough. I should definitely do this for the Verna (parked inside).
Byt what about the Polo? I don't have a fixed parking spot in the lane, I park it wherever I get space, if I put up a cctv camera on the wall, it might not even be in range of the car sometimes.
Old 16th October 2013, 01:34   #740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fair enough. I should definitely do this for the Verna (parked inside).
Byt what about the Polo? I don't have a fixed parking spot in the lane, I park it wherever I get space, if I put up a cctv camera on the wall, it might not even be in range of the car sometimes.
Getting cams installed does not seem to be a viable option IMO. Why don't you raise the matter w.r.t. your Verna with your society members and command the security guards to specifically pay attention to your car.

The best option for the Polo which is parked in the lane would be a car cover as mentioned by warwithwheels. These miscreants would think twice before vandalising a covered car and maybe even discourage them from committing such an act in the first place.

Lastly, have you ever wondered the reason for your car/s to be targeted?? Is changing the location of your parking an option which would solve the matter??

Last edited by S2!!! : 16th October 2013 at 01:35.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 08:09   #741
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

So I have a bit of a problem.
Dear mango_pal,

I am going to tell you as a fellow bombay-ite. Your approach to teach the parent's of the miscreants and approach the police is not the best solution. I have been in your situation since a long time , as I park my car's on the road. Believe me, you will have to live with it. I have had dents, scratches, stolen mirrors and what not when I park in my street. All this done by the miscreants. I know the parents as well. Even after I got the entire car repainted, the kids scratched it the next day in front of my eyes!

Frankly, there will be no solution to this unless the parent's are responsible citizens. You going all out and finding a private investigator or even involving the cops will not go down with others. Chances are more that you will be inviting more trouble for yourself. So unless, you have political connections (which shouldn't be utilized for such things btw), your best way out is going to therapy sessions (read--> team-bhp meets ).

However, if you are willing to give this a try I can suggest one thing.

Clear bra.

It is very effective in protecting your paint. You needn't cover the entire car with it of course, just the metal areas (maybe excluding the roof) and high impact plastic areas. However, this is an expensive solution for sure, and you must find a good installer who will install good quality film. I have currently gotten it installed in areas which are scratch prone on 2 of my cars (I have paid ~1100 per car as per my specs; which incidentally barely cover maybe 2% area of the car), and must say these are very effective from scratches (be it from miscreants or fellow motorists). However, going for a big wrap will be expensive and you will have to redo it every 3-4 years depending on the abuse. Also, you still have to do some basic form maintainence with the bra. However for me it is worth it.
Simple_car is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 10:14   #742
Senior - BHPian

I agree with simple_car here.

Few pages back you can see pics of my Punto 90HP vandalised. I had CCTV footage as proof, I know who were involved but yet I had to bite my teeth and not take any legal action. Many reasons behind that decision, one being how the police in that region works, two, the kids were from a nearby slum, whose parents cannot be even approached for a talk, leave alone financial compensation and proper upbringing of their brats. I spent around 25k for the tyres only and still have to dent and paint 3 panels. So take it easy and make the smart decision, relocate yourself or secure your car totally. Nothing else would give peace of mind.
Old 16th October 2013, 10:35   #743
Senior - BHPian

An ICICI Bank and HDFC Bank branch each was opened right in front of our apartment complex sometime back and from then on, we are facing the problem of our way being blocked almost every day. People just leave their car / bike and go to the banks. When we have to take our vehicles out, we have to wait till they return. Some will grin sheepishly and move off, others will argue. I once had to take a taxi because of this.

I sometimes wonder if outsourced vandalism is the answer!
Old 16th October 2013, 10:48   #744
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
An ICICI Bank and HDFC Bank branch each was opened right in front of our apartment complex sometime back and from then on, we are facing the problem of our way being blocked almost every day. People just leave their car / bike and go to the banks. When we have to take our vehicles out, we have to wait till they return. Some will grin sheepishly and move off, others will argue. I once had to take a taxi because of this.

I sometimes wonder if outsourced vandalism is the answer!
One of my friends had this problem, and he tried a lot things, ranging from notes to fevicol, but the most effective one he found was Colgate on the wipers(no actual harm done, basically).
Unfortunately, this usually took some time to make itself known to the offender, but to those that it did, they never parked in front of the gates again.
Old 16th October 2013, 14:13   #745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
One of my friends had this problem, and he tried a lot things, ranging from notes to fevicol, but the most effective one he found was Colgate on the wipers(no actual harm done, basically).
Unfortunately, this usually took some time to make itself known to the offender, but to those that it did, they never parked in front of the gates again.
that is quite a risk to general public. What if your friend was crossing the road during rain in front of a car that he applied Colgate on?

Just an example to indicate it is an unnecessary risk to other people uninvolved in the parking issue.
PS - I am not assuming you support this.
Old 16th October 2013, 14:17   #746
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

that is quite a risk to general public. What if your friend was crossing the road during rain in front of a car that he applied Colgate on?

Just an example to indicate it is an unnecessary risk to other people uninvolved in the parking issue.
True that.
I've never been the house owner, nor the guy parking, so I don't really have an opinion. But yes, his gate is parking free now.
Old 16th October 2013, 14:50   #747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

The kids don't belong to my building, but of other building within the society.

I need to tackle this menace efficiently and quickly.

Cheers!
Sorry to hear this pal. It looks like putting on a car cover is the only visual deterrent which may help you.

With a dynamic parking spot, its difficult for cameras or any such things to be installed. Have you tried maybe getting the watchman to wash your car or paying him a bit extra to keep a glance on your car?
Old 31st October 2013, 00:03   #748
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Just returned from a day trip to Madras via Shatabdi. First time I am sitting in a train here in India in ten years. All clean, all well, everything fine.

Felt very sad that as we were passing KR Puram on our return journey, some nasty lumpen roadside scum saw fit to throw a rock at the train and crazed the outer glass layer of the window of the First Class Coach. The gentleman sitting there was in a bit of a shock on account of the loud bang which we all heard when the rock struck the window.

Pictures of the damage are attached though luckily no one was hurt or anything.

It is indeed a sad state of affairs when our people wantonly destroy public property on account of just a mere whim or sheer wickedness.
Sincerely wish that the perpetrator of this vandalism suffers in some way in his life.

This kind of behaviour can only change when people are instilled with a sense of national pride from an early stage. Our population simply has to be reduced, if nit naturally, then through some calamity, because this sheer frightening number of people being present in the country will definitely lead to more such discontent and wickedness.

Another idea, if there is a compulsory Army Service imposed on all Indian youths, especially these unemployed jobless fellows between 16-20 for at least 2 years of their lives, it will help instill a sense of pride as well as discipline in their wicked selves.

Car Vandalism!-image3697207804.jpg

Car Vandalism!-image502796661.jpg
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 05:26   #749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

You have put a very low probability hyperbolic question to a good idea. Maybe the OP should instead just stick notes with cheap glue - which doesn't totally come off. So it hinders visibility enough to be a nuisance but not enough to be a danger to general folks' safety as much as say colgate. Our RWA once did it - i've spent 20 mins cleaning my car windshield so i know it works

I sincerely hate the explosion of cars today in NCR. My elderly 68 yo mother is at the recieving end of such bullies ever single day because she happens to stay in a 220 square yard. It is a daily project to park our two cars outside the house (the house has a front space fit for six). People will randomly (from as far as 200m away) come and park their cars and will not think twice before threatening violence or scratching our cars.

I truly wish ill for such pestilence in our society.

In Chennai, where they forgot to make wide roads in most parts of the city - I am fully cognizant of my parking behavior, going to the extent of sometimes parking 100-200m away if parking is impossible and either walking or occasionally paying 20-40 bucks to an auto guy.

If people cannot be thoughtful and respectful of others' space and property and the general public's convenience, then they/their vehicles should bear the consequence of their actions.

Its unreasonable for uncivilized folks to expect others to be civilized in our mad tense 21st century India, esp NCR. Does. Not. Compute.

PS: I am even more convinced about this after driving in california for two weeks. If there is no parking - you cannot just leave your car where you want. It will be towed at the cost of a couple of hundred $, your license gets docked one point (four points leads to one year suspension) and if you are aggressive to the residents, you can be hauled away to jail.

In India, since we don't have any rules that work, people doing what they think necessary is not such a bad idea. Not my preference normally but folks today are simply too entitlement oriented and disrespectful of others' space/ convenience.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 10:19   #750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
In Chennai, where they forgot to make wide roads in most parts of the city - I am fully cognizant of my parking behavior, going to the extent of sometimes parking 100-200m away if parking is impossible and either walking or occasionally paying 20-40 bucks to an auto guy.

If people cannot be thoughtful and respectful of others' space and property and the general public's convenience, then they/their vehicles should bear the consequence of their actions.
+1

I generally avoid taking the car to T'Nagar for shopping, and will use the train or a taxi instead. When I do take my family there by car, I always go a bit out of the way and park in one of the quieter streets and by lanes, and we take an auto for ~ Rs 40.00 from there. Return trip to the car costs the same, but if there was a paid parking lot, we will pay Rs 100.00 any way so it does not matter.

I always park it as unobtrusively as possible, and leave a sheet of paper with my mobile number under the wiper blade, just in case.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks