Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2018, 14:29   #991
BHPian

Re: Car Vandalism!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
So, the worst scums of the universe are spread out all around the world.
My heart burns to see this. What a lovely car and what a mess created. If the owner finds the miscreant, I'm sure he will not mind leaving some scratches on the vandal for life. A BHPian had posted on this thread about a jaguar which was scratched on the bonnet by some vandal in a mall in Chennai.

When will they learn that it takes a lot of money and hard work to afford and upkeep such beautiful machines. Damaging someone else's vehicle is not going to automatically move them up the wealth chain.
Strangers disrespecting your car/supercar seems to be a "first-world-problem"-esque.
Old 18th January 2018, 15:42   #992
BHPian

Slightly OT....somebody decided to show their artistic skills on my poor Innova and made a 2.5 feet long scratch on the driver side rear quarter panel just below the Toyota stickering that comes standard in the ZX models.

I asked the dealer in Coimbatore for a quote to repair it and they are quoting about 20k for this. They say insurance will cover it but is this reasonable for repainting one quarter panel and redoing that part of the stickering?
Old 18th January 2018, 16:08   #993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_ninja View Post
Slightly OT....somebody decided to show their artistic skills on my poor Innova and made a 2.5 feet long scratch on the driver side rear quarter panel just below the Toyota stickering that comes standard in the ZX models.

I asked the dealer in Coimbatore for a quote to repair it and they are quoting about 20k for this. They say insurance will cover it but is this reasonable for repainting one quarter panel and redoing that part of the stickering?
Sorry to hear this bro. Maybe a pic will help to understand better.
There should be good paint workshops in Coimbatore which can do it for fraction of the cost. You should enquire around. 20k for a panel is on the higher side.

Last edited by hrman : 18th January 2018 at 16:25.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 19:52   #994
BHPian

https://allaboutbelgaum.com/news/ano...fire-belagavi/

The culprit has been caught and undergoing interrogation currently for the crime, mindlessly burnt 10+ cars in the city. Heartbreaking to see your car getting burnt outside your home.
Dramitn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 21:26   #995
BHPian

Quote:
There should be good paint workshops in Coimbatore which can do it for fraction of the cost. You should enquire around. 20k for a panel is on the higher side.
Thank you. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures but the scratch is pretty deep and runs along the entire length of the panel. It will definitely need to be painted. I will ask around a few more places.
Old 20th January 2018, 11:02   #996
BHPian

A few weeks after my car was delivered, I'd parked it next to a relative's apartment; some retrogade creature smashed the bottom corner of the front windshield on the driver side .

It looks like a drive-by, because of where the windshield was smashed, and also because a nearby not-new Honda City wasn't messed with. Mine is a humble petrol Platinum Etios!
Attached Thumbnails
Car Vandalism!-platinum_etios_windshield_arson.jpg  

Old 25th January 2018, 14:36   #997
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Protesters in Bhopal accidentally torched the car of their fellow activist.

Car Vandalism!-indiatoday.jpeg

As reported by India Today,
Quote:
“activists” set fire to a Maruti Swift car parked at Jyoti Talkies Square and later found out that it belonged to Surendra Singh Chauhan, who lives in EWS colony and is also an activist.

Last edited by GTO : 5th February 2018 at 17:34. Reason: Removing name of political party, in line with our rules
manaljain is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 16:05   #998
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaljain View Post
Protesters in Bhopal accidentally torched the car of their fellow activist.

Attachment 1720682

As reported by India Today,
Jaisi 'karni' waisi bharni
humyum is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 10:58   #999
BHPian

Quote:
I decided to get the work done at Toyota itself and made an insurance claim. The bill was only 12,900/- . I paid 2000 as addon and the rest was covered by insurance. That is a huge difference between the estimate and the actual bill. I wonder if they charge different rates if one were to pay out of pocket.

In the meantime, our other car was vandalized too. This one is an Alto and both the front and rear passenger side doors have one neat long scratch. I complained to the apartment association but there is little they could do without CCTV cameras. I just have to eat it and get this repaired my MASS and claim insurance.
green_ninja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 11:08   #1000
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I decided to get the work done at Toyota itself and made an insurance claim. The bill was only 12,900/- . I paid 2000 as addon and the rest was covered by insurance. That is a huge difference between the estimate and the actual bill. I wonder if they charge different rates if one were to pay out of pocket.
Workshops tend to include a lot of items to increase the bill amount and Insurance surveyors tend to cut out every unnecessary item that can be retained/repaired instead of being replaced to decrease the bill amount.

Quote:
In the meantime, our other car was vandalized too. This one is an Alto and both the front and rear passenger side doors have one neat long scratch. I complained to the apartment association but there is little they could do without CCTV cameras. I just have to eat it and get this repaired my MASS and claim insurance.
Is is just your cars that are getting vandalized? Any specific person that might have a reason to do this? Perhaps you can consider fitting a cctv at your cost?
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 11:39   #1001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Oops. Sorry to hear about your other car. My suggestion:
1. Install CC TV cameras at your own cost.
2. Do nothing. Let the scratch remain. If they realize you are not doing anything about it (it doesn't affect you), the vandal may move to other cars. What is stopping them from re-attacking your newly painted toyota? Will you keep going to insurance?

I learnt it the hard way. It's ok for some scratches to remain. We get used to it after some time. If people want to judge, let them.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 12:24   #1002
BHPian

It is just our cars getting vandalized. I think I have figured out the root cause as well. We just moved into a new apartment within the same community and our new parking spot is close to a general use pathway that the maintenance employees use. I believe this spot was empty for a while and they were using our parking spot as a shortcut even though the regular pathway is only 5feet away. When we moved in and parked our cars this shortcut was suddenly blocked and one of the disgruntled employees vandalized our cars. It is close to impossible to find out who as there are around 50-60 staff.

I have moved my Innova to my parents house where it is much more safer. The Alto is parked in a way such that there is enough space for these monkeys to take the shortcut.

As for the Alto, I already have a claim this year. So NCB is out of question. I'll just get the scratch fixed now and have a clean slate for next year.

I'll just to have live with this for another year or so until we move into our own independent house with a compound and not have to worry about such vile creatures who would damage someone's car because they cannot walk another 5 feet.
Old 12th February 2018, 09:26   #1003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Attachment 1712625
Got this present today. Are these scratches removable ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Got the boot lid painted plus a nasty dent removed which was there prior due to Innova getting too comfy with my Civics rear . Total damage 2.5k and a couple of society members bruised egos.

Finally got the CCTV camera installed. Details are here. Total cost 15.8k. The car can be viewed from two angles.

I have also now started keeping an "do not touch" notice board inside the car between the rear windshield and the brake light. This is for the nice kids who come to play in the evening. The lady whose kid we questioned about the car vandalism incident was of the opinion that their kids are well educated. Well I hope they can read .

Car Vandalism!-notice.jpg

After the installation we overheard one wonderful lady telling her kid whom we had questioned earlier “I hope no one installed a camera on you head” (in Marathi). Such are the kind of people whom we have to live around . (Isn't this emoticon very popular in this thread?)

Had to get permission from society to get the camera installed.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 12th February 2018 at 11:04. Reason: Edited as requested for formatting.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2018, 15:23   #1004
BHPian

I do not what do you call it when the service center mechanics scratch your 10k driven mostly slick brake disks with sandpaper
Guessing it is fit for this thread.

They were replaced in the last service done at 50k km.

When i asked why the hell he did it, he was like for "pakad" (grip); like the car wasn't stopping for the past ten thousand kilometers that i drove it.

Attached Thumbnails
Car Vandalism!-img_6179.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th February 2018 at 15:33. Reason: extra smiley removed
Old 24th February 2018, 16:34   #1005
Team-BHP Support

^If the dealer isn’t agreeing to replace it FoC, please make the manufacturer aware of this deed. Hopefully a solution should work out.

Most Viewed