Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2017, 17:15   #13831
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
...IT is not going to be the "mass employer" industry like it was in early 2000s......

....I don't see any other "mass employment" industry getting readied at Bengaluru as well. So all in all, there would be lesser number of people coming into the city - I feel we are slowly reaching a saturation point here....
Interesting viewpoint, and to which I subscribe as well to an extent.

IT is changing, but is here to stay for the near future (I'm talking next decade or maybe two) before the 'workforce' changes significantly enough to not be considered a mass employer.

BMRCL will probably complete the ORR Metro just when nobody either needs it anymore, or it's no longer fit for intended purpose. But that's how most municipal projects happen here so no big deal for them.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 15:48   #13832
Senior - BHPian

I stay at Doddanakundi junction and I got on this thread today to vent out but I see most of you already have . As expected the over bridge opening has only made things worse. My office is at Prestige tech park Kadubeesanahalli, so these days I get bumper to bumper traffic almost from home till office. I actually reach office in 50% less time if I go behind ISRO and take inside marathahalli small roads.

Only saving grace is on the way back in evening, i dont need to take U turn at EMC2, and just take right under the flyover next to Kabab magic.

This flyover is perfect example of how poor planning is done. Choke points on either side are not removed and flyover is a gross waste of tax payers money.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 10:36   #13833
Senior - BHPian

I have a team outing at Clarks Exotica, Swiss Town, Hollywood Junction, Sadahalli Post, Devanahalli Road , Bangalore tomorrow.

Google maps is showing the following route from Whitefield

https://goo.gl/maps/9nDAGykHiL52

I have taken this route to Airport but am not aware of the route via Begur.
Any idea about the condition?
Old 6th April 2017, 11:22   #13834
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure why, but since Monday Bellandur - Marathahalli section is seeing very bad traffic. On Monday it was on Kadubeesinahalli - Bellandur direction in evening. Tuesday and Wednesday on opposite direction, at 09:30 PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Choke points on either side are not removed and flyover is a gross waste of tax payers money.
Flyovers and underpass between Marathahalli & Silkboard junction was made with idea to have dedicated bus lane on the right most lane with bus stops below the flyover. This idea was dropped later, causing wastage of space in service road and chocking at start and end of each flyover due to un designated bus stops. Eco space bus stop is a perfect example of this.

One would have thought BBMP would have corrected the mistake and not wasted space while constructing new flyover. But that sadly doesn't seems to be the case. Only saving grace is an article that metro alignment will be done through the median in ORR between Silkboard and KR puram. Hope the newly constructed flyovers will be spared in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Any idea about the condition?
I had taken this route some 1 year back. Road conditions were good apart from some few patches, nothing to be concerned about. Also, was part of this road used during traffic deviations for Aero India?
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 11:28   #13835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

I had taken this route some 1 year back. Road conditions were good apart from some few patches, nothing to be concerned about. Also, was part of this road used during traffic deviations for Aero India?
I also think so but not sure. Here is the related news article.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/57090318.cms
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 11:49   #13836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Not sure why, but since Monday Bellandur - Marathahalli section is seeing very bad traffic. On Monday it was on Kadubeesinahalli - Bellandur direction in evening. Tuesday and Wednesday on opposite direction, at 09:30 PM.
Its equally bad on the other side too. The pile up starts at the ISRO U Turn when you come from KR Puram side (sometimes from the Doddanakundi underpass) after 930 AM and the mad traffic extends all the way till the Sakra Hospital flyover. The ORR was not meant to handle the sort of traffic it does, but I believe the issue is aggravated mainly due to the following

1. Horrible locations of bus stops and the driving habits of the BMTC drivers. In most instances, 2 out of 3 lanes are taken up by buses either stopping, or attempting a slow-bus race, especially at peak bottleneck areas (ISRO U Turn bus stop, starting of Marathahalli underpass, VIMS Hospital opposite Innovative multiplex, starting of Kadubeesanahalli underpass). Cops are mere spectators to these idiots.

2. Poor quality of service roads (in most places, service road is in tatters and filled with loose gravel, potholes etc) and lack of proper entry / exits to the main roads. Very few entry / exit points, usually below the flyovers, which are anyways award-winning recipes for chaos and made even worse by the yellow-board drivers results in huge choking at these points.

3. Unauthorized parking by buses, cabs, TTs (on the left most lane of the main road and most parts of the service lane) renders almost 50% of the so-called road useless / unusable. Again cops are not bothered to fix this due to their annuity revenues from the yellow-boards

Let us not even get to the designing of the service roads and flyovers - that is a different topic which can be discussed for ages ! Someone should invite National Geographic to do a documentary on "how not to construct infrastructure in an arterial road"
aroonanand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 12:15   #13837
BHPian

There has been ongoing work on the BTM road reducing the divider space- not sure if it is prep for metro phase 2 or any other major work?
Old 6th April 2017, 13:31   #13838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishhm74 View Post
There has been ongoing work on the BTM road reducing the divider space- not sure if it is prep for metro phase 2 or any other major work?
They are just increasing the median height! Maybe to prevent people from crossing over the median. it could also mean resurfacing the road is to be done. But this work is after BTM currently and traffic there is not that dense. I have seen such works being done on Mysore road where they work on the roads followed by digging for Metro phase 1

Its been a pain this week. Its taking 1.5 hrs from Cessna to crossing silk board. I am 100% sure that metro cannot solve the traffic problem here if they do it similar to the current ones (unless they keep running trains very frequently or one behind the other :( )

Last edited by srishiva : 6th April 2017 at 13:33.
Old 6th April 2017, 17:06   #13839
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I also think so but not sure. Here is the related news article.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/57090318.cms
More on this has been written on Karnataka Government's Facebook page too
https://www.facebook.com/KarnatakaGo...MELINE&fref=nf

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-airport.png
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 23:49   #13840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
I believe the issue is aggravated mainly due to the following
I would add one more point here. Last few weeks I have observed some cool drinks/juice vendors started doing business by keeping their cart right on the road. Though they are on the left lane/side, people stop haphazardly around them (both two and four wheeler) further shrinking the usable road
Old 7th April 2017, 11:22   #13841
Senior - BHPian

Some thing seems to be afoot on the Varthur main road near the lake. I am seeing huge iron pillars being put up near the bridges - on the side facing the lake. Looks like they plan to put a huge bill board kind of thing which would block the froth from entering the roads. And perhaps this may also keep this filthy area away from public eyes.
Old 7th April 2017, 11:55   #13842
BHPian

Quote:
Some thing seems to be afoot on the Varthur main road near the lake. I am seeing huge iron pillars being put up near the bridges - on the side facing the lake. Looks like they plan to put a huge bill board kind of thing which would block the froth from entering the roads. And perhaps this may also keep this filthy area away from public eyes.
I too saw that. I believe if they raise a hoarding there, it would fall in the next rain blocking the entire bridge.

Today got stuck in a humongous block at Borewell road in front of Brigade IRV center. It took almost 50 minutes to clear that last 1 km to office.
It was raining bad drivers left, right and center. Not just the cabbies, well educated IT employees were driving cars on the wrong sides just contributing to the jam.
john.gt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 16:39   #13843
Senior - BHPian

For the past couple of days, BTP has been posting cops during rush hour at the two junctions along the Yemalur-Bellandur route - at Yemalur bridge and at Bellandur bridge. This has eased the gridlocks at these bridges somewhat (though progress is still slow; it still takes 20-25 minutes cover this 4 km stretch).

The road from Bellandur bridge to Sakra hospital has been reopened too.
Old 7th April 2017, 16:56   #13844
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They have done this in Bellandur lake in a few locations. However, it is not a bill board which is solid, but a grill sorts of thing or maybe even a nylon net. This will hold the froth if it gets airborne but let the air flow through. If it is a solid billboard then god save it during heavy winds. I am not sure what keeps the authorities away from just choking the various illegal drainages into the lake and making the reponsible people pay up.

There was once upon a time when they desilted a few lakes and separated the drains away, like the Ulsoor lake, KR Pura lake and so on. They have been so beautiful even now. Its all the political influence and greed that surrounds the IT infested areas that has really spoilt the place.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 10:21   #13845
Senior - BHPian

Is there a public holiday today? Left EC area at 0900Hrs and reached ITPL side by 1010Hrs. Even the infamous Varthur village/town had a very deserted look today. Don't know if the people out there are resting (and gearing up) for some major show in the evening hours.

And there is a Kempegowda Jyothi processing which is coming from the areas which had the towers built by him. So mainly it is from Lalbagh, Ulsoor areas. They all are coming towards BBMP office in the city centre. There could be some traffic jams in the CBD and the route taken by these processions.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks