Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2011, 16:17   #2131
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by praz View Post
I found myself stuck in the middle of a deadlock. I think the picture below will give you an idea.

Attachment 503650

For some reason, the Logan guy lowered his mirror and started accusing me of causing the jam.
If I get it right parz, you were trying to take a right at this junction? In your attempt, you ask the logan guy who was coming down the road to hold, and then you blocked the free flow of the traffic and waited for the traffic in the lane you wanted to join to clear?

I may be going against the general sentiment here praz, but personally I would have also not enjoyed being in place of the logan guy. Did you not realize that if, that logan guy had not stopped for you, he would have been able to continue with his journey..hence his display of anger?

Instead of taking a right turn there, dont you think it would have made sense to proceed towards left, drive a little further and take a U turn and come back?

Regards,

Last edited by amohit : 18th February 2011 at 16:19.
Old 18th February 2011, 20:07   #2132
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
If I get it right parz, you were trying to take a right at this junction? In your attempt, you ask the logan guy who was coming down the road to hold, and then you blocked the free flow of the traffic and waited for the traffic in the lane you wanted to join to clear?

I may be going against the general sentiment here praz, but personally I would have also not enjoyed being in place of the logan guy. Did you not realize that if, that logan guy had not stopped for you, he would have been able to continue with his journey..hence his display of anger?

Instead of taking a right turn there, dont you think it would have made sense to proceed towards left, drive a little further and take a U turn and come back?

Regards,
No problem in expressing your thoughts here. It's an open forum.

Firstly, there was nobody willing to let me take a right turn inspite of me using the indicators and waiting patiently for almost 5 mins. Secondly, I had no idea that a deadlock was going to happen and I would be in the middle of it. You are right, the logan could have been angry that he was not able to continue his journey. But that does not give him the right to accuse me of causing the jam. If it were me in his car, I would have first allowed the other guy to take a turn without being forced to do so. That's common courtesy I say. Anyway, the actual issue is that this stretch is poorly planned and nobody can help it.

That's a good suggestion you have given there. I could have taken a left and then taken a U-turn somewhere down the road. Trust me, I would have done that if I had known that such a situation was going to happen. But, when do you know that the lane you want to take is going to get stuck? There was no way for me to go back as well, as others were there right behind me. Anyhow, I am avoiding this stretch itself and taking a slightly roundabout route eventhough the road is bad there.
Old 18th February 2011, 22:54   #2133
BHPian

Quote:

Regards,
I did not get your logic. There is no way you can say that praz essentially hampered the free flow of traffic. If you are suggesting that praz needs to go through the trouble of turning left and then taking a U-turn, you must understand that the the stretch is apparently poorly planned as praz claims,so trying to take a U-turn in the middle. of a narrow street will cause a bigger jam. So, what option is praz left with? Wait for 1/2 an hour until there are no more vehicles plying in that direction? You must understand that we can't have a "stand in a queue" rule when you have merging traffic, unless there is someone guiding the traffic.
Old 18th February 2011, 23:47   #2134
BHPian

^ Arkin, I stay in basvanagar and use this stretch of road pretty frequently. There is a small stretch of about 500mts which is very narrow and has got many perpendicular lanes. On either side of this stretch the road is 4 lane.
And please dont get me wrong. I never said what Prez did was outright wrong. I just implied that the reaction that he got from the logon guy was not wrong.
and whether you like it or not, he and the other guy at the next perpendicular road were the focal points of this deadlock.

and by the way, I strongly believe, when driving on bangalore roads, you just cannot afford to lose patience...be it 5 mins, be it 30 mins.

Quote:
You must understand that we can't have a "stand in a queue" rule when you have merging traffic, unless there is someone guiding the traffic.
If only we can show some respect for other road users and some patience, threads like this will get lost in time...

Regards,

Last edited by amohit : 18th February 2011 at 23:49.
Old 19th February 2011, 09:33   #2135
Team-BHP Support

I was entering B'lore today morning and there was a traffic jam just before Rajajinagar at 6am!! 6am?!

The metro work has really messed things up.

There were a few cops but they were busy collecting fines from the tempos.
Old 19th February 2011, 11:14   #2136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
I did not get your logic. There is no way you can say that praz essentially hampered the free flow of traffic. If you are suggesting that praz needs to go through the trouble of turning left and then taking a U-turn, you must understand that the the stretch is apparently poorly planned as praz claims,so trying to take a U-turn in the middle. of a narrow street will cause a bigger jam. So, what option is praz left with? Wait for 1/2 an hour until there are no more vehicles plying in that direction? You must understand that we can't have a "stand in a queue" rule when you have merging traffic, unless there is someone guiding the traffic.
Quote:
^ Arkin, I stay in basvanagar and use this stretch of road pretty frequently. There is a small stretch of about 500mts which is very narrow and has got many perpendicular lanes. On either side of this stretch the road is 4 lane.
And please dont get me wrong. I never said what Prez did was outright wrong. I just implied that the reaction that he got from the logon guy was not wrong.
and whether you like it or not, he and the other guy at the next perpendicular road were the focal points of this deadlock.

and by the way, I strongly believe, when driving on bangalore roads, you just cannot afford to lose patience...be it 5 mins, be it 30 mins.

If only we can show some respect for other road users and some patience, threads like this will get lost in time...

Regards,
It is agreed that you should have patience while driving in a city like Bangalore. But waiting 30 mins to take a legal right turn is insane. But even if you do that, it will not solve the problem for this particular stretch.

Anyhow, I was able to figure out what should be done to fix this situation. I have put a small picture to give you an idea. But, just me following this rule is not going to stop the chaos here. The traffic police have to enforce this rule and only then can we see free flowing traffic in this stretch.
And, let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks to amohit for giving me this idea.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-gmpalya_trafficflow.jpg
Old 19th February 2011, 11:28   #2137
Team-BHP Support

@praz. You can now gladly say that while 2 rights don't make a wrong. 3 rights make a left.
Old 19th February 2011, 13:02   #2138
BHPian

Quote:

Exactly. you got the point right. And you are absolutely right. One person following this rule is not going to make any difference. It has to be a combined effort of everyone.

By the way, if you are coming down from the temple side and going towards marthalli side, there is a small galli right next to the vegetable shop which joins the main road near US Pizza shop. And there is one more galli originating from little further down which opens right next to the maruti service station (this is if you are going towards beml gate). I am not sure if first galli is wide enough for a car, but the second one is certainly not.
When I used to stay in GM palya, I always used to take these two gallis and completely avoid that temple junction (and that was 5 yrs ago).

BBMP need to identify an alternate route to connect to bagmane tech park. that is the only way to reduce pressure on this road (ie without destroying the livelihood of hundreds of people by widening this stretch).

Regards,
Old 19th February 2011, 22:59   #2139
Team-BHP Support

I had a little incident a few days back on the Old Airport Road.

For all those who frequent Old Airport Road, you'll will know that there is a dedicated lane for those who wish to take a right/U-turn right in front of The Leela/Manipal Hospital. I've had a few close calls here, but this one really ticked me off.

While taking the U-Turn, one fellow on a yellow Apache decided that he'd overtake my car from the left. So he sneaked his way in front of me while I was taking the U-turn and instead of giving me space by turning wide and letting me take my turn at full-lock, he cut me off! I was pretty close to knocking him off the bike! I was in the middle of taking the turn when the nitwit did this.

I had to bring my car to a complete halt, otherwise I would have hit him.

I mean, the least he could have done was turn wide so I could take the turn properly, but the twit didn't seem to care.

I honked till I got his attention and gestured that he stop by the side of the road. I pulled up next to him, lowered my window and asked him if he had realized what he had done wrong. To that, he abused me and sped away.

If there is one thing I've noticed in Bangalore, people have no respect for other road users. They don't care about pedestrians or cyclists. Especially two-wheelers. They cut you off constantly and when they get hit by a larger vehicle, they make themselves look like victims and get sympathy from other fellow two-wheelers and auto-drivers.

I'm going off the record here. I hate two wheelers. They are a nuisance to other road users. They come so close to your car, try and sneak in between gaps and then cut you off all the time. I've probably seen just three two-wheelers riding responsibly without cutting you off and maintaining lane discipline.

Getting a license must be made very hard. That's the only way one can stop this menace. The same thing applies to rogue four-wheelers as well.
Old 20th February 2011, 15:36   #2140
BHPian

Quote:
It is agreed that you should have patience while driving in a city like Bangalore. But waiting 30 mins to take a legal right turn is insane. But even if you do that, it will not solve the problem for this particular stretch.
You just hit the bulls eye Praz. That little stretch is a real nightmare. I stay in Kaggadaspura and I totally avoid taking this road. Instead I go towards the Shell Petrol bunk on to the old airport road and towards Domlur. I got struck in a bad traffic right from the BEML gate all the way till US Pizza atleast 4-5 times, after which I stopped taking this road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

For all those who frequent Old Airport Road, you'll will know that there is a dedicated lane for those who wish to take a right/U-turn right in front of The Leela/Manipal Hospital...... That's the only way one can stop this menace. The same thing applies to rogue four-wheelers as well.
+1 to that. I face this situation quite a few times. Bikers trying to cut you over from the left/right while negotiating a turn. The gap is so small and you really have to be lucky not to scrape or hit them. And they drive away without realizing any of this. And try explaining them, its you who'll be abused.
Old 20th February 2011, 23:53   #2141
BHPian

Quote:

For all those who frequent Old Airport Road, you'll will know that there is a dedicated lane for those who wish to take a right/U-turn right in front of The Leela/Manipal Hospital. I've had a few close calls here, but this one really ticked me off.

While taking the U-Turn, one fellow on a yellow Apache decided that he'd overtake my car from the left. So he sneaked his way in front of me while I was taking the U-turn and instead of giving me space by turning wide and letting me take my turn at full-lock, he cut me off! I was pretty close to knocking him off the bike! I was in the middle of taking the turn when the nitwit did this.

I had to bring my car to a complete halt, otherwise I would have hit him.

I mean, the least he could have done was turn wide so I could take the turn properly, but the twit didn't seem to care.

I honked till I got his attention and gestured that he stop by the side of the road. I pulled up next to him, lowered my window and asked him if he had realized what he had done wrong. To that, he abused me and sped away.

If there is one thing I've noticed in Bangalore, people have no respect for other road users. They don't care about pedestrians or cyclists. Especially two-wheelers. They cut you off constantly and when they get hit by a larger vehicle, they make themselves look like victims and get sympathy from other fellow two-wheelers and auto-drivers.

I'm going off the record here. I hate two wheelers. They are a nuisance to other road users. They come so close to your car, try and sneak in between gaps and then cut you off all the time. I've probably seen just three two-wheelers riding responsibly without cutting you off and maintaining lane discipline.

Getting a license must be made very hard. That's the only way one can stop this menace. The same thing applies to rogue four-wheelers as well.
i am a 2 wheeler that cares . To my knowledge ive never cut anyone off, even unintentionally. Yeah those guys piss me off even too. Sometimes though, people will force you off the road or onto the wrong side, so you just gotta go with the traffic flow.
Old 21st February 2011, 00:00   #2142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hate two wheelers
he hates me! *sob* sniff*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
i am a 2 wheeler that cares. To my knowledge ive never cut anyone off, even unintentionally. Yeah those guys piss me off even too. Sometimes though, people will force you off the road or onto the wrong side, so you just gotta go with the traffic flow.
+1 to that! i always ride with my visor down, so by the time i raise it to give them a piece of my mind, they ride off! chicken
Old 21st February 2011, 00:49   #2143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post

+1 to that. I face this situation quite a few times. Bikers trying to cut you over from the left/right while negotiating a turn. The gap is so small and you really have to be lucky not to scrape or hit them. And they drive away without realizing any of this. And try explaining them, its you who'll be abused.
Exactly! +1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
i am a 2 wheeler that cares . To my knowledge ive never cut anyone off, even unintentionally. Yeah those guys piss me off even too. Sometimes though, people will force you off the road or onto the wrong side, so you just gotta go with the traffic flow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
he hates me! *sob* sniff*
Sorry for generalizing, fellas!

This is what happens, the general two-wheeler riding public spoil the image of those who aren't like them at all. It's sad.

Iron Hawk, I've been a follower of your posts, and I know, from what I've read, that you're one of the few well mannered road users. I just hope others take a leaf from your book. It would be awesome to see a 1000 IronHawks on their bikes following lane discipline and respecting fellow commuters.
Old 21st February 2011, 02:28   #2144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Iron Hawk, I've been a follower of your posts, and I know, from what I've read, that you're one of the few well mannered road users. I just hope others take a leaf from your book. It would be awesome to see a 1000 IronHawks on their bikes following lane discipline and respecting fellow commuters.
aww now look what you done! my cheeks are all pink and shy is coming!!

at least 100 sane riders would be a start!
Old 21st February 2011, 09:02   #2145
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post

Totally true. And sometimes they would park their bikes in front of your car and leave. You could get out of the parking spot only if your car could travel sideways.

To their credit though, I have spoken to few two wheeler riders in our office about these. Most of them do not drive cars and they do not understand the space required for a car to take turns etc. For that matter, even the parking attendants in most places would not know the space required for a car to take turns.

The solution may not be easy if they are not doing it intentionally. A car driver is not necessarily expected to know about the turning radius of a truck, or no driving school anywhere would probably tell you that you should not brake hard if a heavy vehicle is behind you at a high speed as the heavy vehicle would take more time to stop. So I doubt a strict license exam would help. It is plain common sense and respect to others, and, as a car driver we could at least expect it from these two wheeler drivers. However, if and when confronted on road, they would always try to defend themselves.

I do not ride a two wheeler. The above statements are based on my observations. And, I hate majority of the two wheeler riders too. I did have a couple of close calls when they tried to cut me off. Obviously, the comments do not apply to 40% of the drivers who like to race in public roads.

I have also observed that 20%-30% two wheeler riders do try to follow traffic rules, but more often than not, they get cut off by other riders or car drivers.

Last edited by sumannandy : 21st February 2011 at 09:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks