Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2011, 15:17   #2251
BANNED

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
And yes, Hats off the that i20 lady for the courage she exhibited and confronted the monsters.
Yeah, hopefully she reports the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
And how come you didn't join her?
I could have got involved if it got ugly. I also didn't have a good place to park my bike anywhere there.

On second thoughts I should have...
Old 30th March 2011, 19:01   #2252
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Spitfire - No regrets! thats not the last incident of Bangalore. Am sure there'd be more n more such incidents.
Old 5th April 2011, 19:05   #2253
BHPian

Seems Bangalore hasn't recovered from the World cup celebrations.
Today I covered 30kms in 50 minutes - in peak hour, through some of the busiest roads like ORR, KRPuram junction. Usually it takes more than 1.5 hours!!

How I wish Bangalore traffic is like this every day ........
Old 6th April 2011, 13:11   #2254
BHPian

I have got two tickets for crossing "Red Lights" in Bangalore in the past 5 days.
I have been driving a DL registered car in Bangalore for the past 9 months.

The first at Dairy Circle Fly over (Banerghatta Road). The Light was green when I was about 5m away from it, I crossed it and at that time it just turned orange.

I was promptly stopped by a policeman and fined Rs.100 even though I protested that it was orange when I crossed.

Today I was at the crossing before Total Mall, on old Airport road. A stream of cars were crossing the light, I just went with everyone else and crossed the signal. All the cars were allowed to go but my car was the last and a policeman stopped and fined me again Rs.100. This is the 2nd time I got a ticket at this light and the last time also all cars were allowed but pass but I was stopped and given a ticket.

Is it that I am just unlucky or does it have something to do with my car being DL registered?
Old 6th April 2011, 13:16   #2255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Is it that I am just unlucky or does it have something to do with my car being DL registered?
LOL. No mate. Nothing to do with DL. I drove a PB 11 car in Bangalore for 3 years without getting a single challan for jumping red light. You just need to stop jumping red lights
Old 6th April 2011, 13:48   #2256
Senior - BHPian

I find lot of people raising their BP by commenting on things which are beyond their control.

I follow all the rules myself and indulge in defensive driving of highest kind.
I assume myself as the dumpest person on the road and all others intelligent than me.
I allow any one who is in a hurry to take the lead irrespective of why he is in a hurry.
I allow any one who want to cut in to my lane to do so.
I allow all pedestrians to cross even if it is green for me.
I always keep safe distance from dangers like Volvos,autos and two wheelers, knowing very well what their next move is going to be .
I keep sufficient space for two wheelers to sneak through when I stop on red.
I never make eye contact with other drivers or make unnecessary gestures.
Still If I get involved in an accident,I am not going to waste my time and others time by arguing on the road but will allow insurance to take care of the damages.

My Polo has covered 11500KM and till now even a single scratch has not been inflicted on the car by the maddening Bangalore traffic.
Old 6th April 2011, 14:59   #2257
BHPian

Quote:
I have got two tickets for crossing "Red Lights" in Bangalore in the past 5 days.
I can't really blame you for the 1st incident but the 2nd is apparently your fault. That is why I recommend that you slow down a bit when approaching signals, just to be on the safe side.

I've been using my TN registered Maruti 800, and AP registered i10 for the past 6 years in Mysore/Bangalore, and I haven't had any probs, nor any challans, except for 2 gentle warnings, one on each car. In fact, we've been greeted by trafficpolicemen in Bangalore "Welcome to Karnataka Saar!!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I find lot of people raising their BP by commenting on things which are beyond their control.

I follow all the rules myself and indulge in defensive driving of highest kind.

And let cause the people behind you to brake sharply / necessarily slow down??
I always keep safe distance from dangers like Volvos,autos and two wheelers, knowing very well what their next move is going to be .
Absolutely necessary.
You are neither right nor wrong in doing this.
I should learn from you.
Still If I get involved in an accident,I am not going to waste my time and others time by arguing on the road but will allow insurance to take care of the damages.
And pay the 50% depriciation & higher premium from your pocket?
My Polo has covered 11500KM and till now even a single scratch has not been inflicted on the car by the maddening Bangalore traffic.
Nice. I must appreciate your love for your car and your defensive driving skills though, to the underlined stuff, attention you must pay.
Old 6th April 2011, 15:57   #2258
BHPian

Quote:
I can't really blame you for the 1st incident but the 2nd is apparently your fault. That is why I recommend that you slow down a bit when approaching signals, just to be on the safe side.

I've been using my TN registered Maruti 800, and AP registered i10 for the past 6 years in Mysore/Bangalore, and I haven't had any probs, nor any challans, except for 2 gentle warnings, one on each car. In fact, we've been greeted by trafficpolicemen in Bangalore "Welcome to Karnataka Saar!!!"
But what I don't understand is why the cars in front of me are allowed to pass while my car is stopped for crossing the "Red" light. There was a KA registered i10 barely 1-2m in front of me. The car was not stopped but mine was. How do the traffic policemen know the exact instant when the light turns red?

I don't mind paying a fine at all but the rules should be uniform for everyone.

Also the main problem on this signal is that 50% of the time its working(although its very dimly lit), 25% its off and the remaining 25% its flashing yellow, all at the same times of the day

Last edited by Foxbat : 6th April 2011 at 16:00.
Old 6th April 2011, 16:17   #2259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But what I don't understand is why the cars in front of me are allowed to pass while my car is stopped for crossing the "Red" light. There was a KA registered i10 barely 1-2m in front of me. The car was not stopped but mine was. How do the traffic policemen know the exact instant when the light turns red?
But yours was the last car, right? If they stopped the car in front of you, they won't be able to stop you, and then the one they stopped will argue that if they didn't catch you, they shouldn't catch him!

Oh and traffic cops just KNOW.
Old 6th April 2011, 16:29   #2260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
But yours was the last car, right? If they stopped the car in front of you, they won't be able to stop you, and then the one they stopped will argue that if they didn't catch you, they shouldn't catch him!

Oh and traffic cops just KNOW.

Well I don't know about that, I have seen the traffice police stop 3-4 vehicles at once since there are 3-4 policemen at the crossing. In fact when I was paying my fine there were atleast 4-5 other vehicles also stopped to pay the fine.

Anyways no use arguing, tomorrow is the last day I will drive in Bangalore for the foreseeable future
Old 6th April 2011, 17:38   #2261
BHPian

Quote:
Well I don't know about that, I have seen the traffice police stop 3-4 vehicles at once since there are 3-4 policemen at the crossing. In fact when I was paying my fine there were atleast 4-5 other vehicles also stopped to pay the fine.

Anyways no use arguing, tomorrow is the last day I will drive in Bangalore for the foreseeable future
Hmm, I read all the posts again. So the place where this happened is the Notorious Pizza Hut signal as I call it. When I'm in Bangalore I take a U-turn everyday at that signal (house is 250m away), and I must admit, it is the most pathetically managed junction I've ever seen. I'd mentioned earlier in this thread that one constable forced an indicabbie to bunk the signal even though the good cabbie tried to resist him. So it is NOT Foxbat's fault. Your being challaned was wrong, unethical, and illegal. What does the challan say? What is the officer's name? I think we could've got him booked under vigilance had you had a cockpit recorder.

OT: Are you leaving Bangalore???
Old 6th April 2011, 19:05   #2262
BHPian

Quote:
Hmm, I read all the posts again. So the place where this happened is the Notorious Pizza Hut signal as I call it. When I'm in Bangalore I take a U-turn everyday at that signal (house is 250m away), and I must admit, it is the most pathetically managed junction I've ever seen. I'd mentioned earlier in this thread that one constable forced an indicabbie to bunk the signal even though the good cabbie tried to resist him. So it is NOT Foxbat's fault. Your being challaned was wrong, unethical, and illegal. What does the challan say? What is the officer's name? I think we could've got him booked under vigilance had you had a cockpit recorder.

OT: Are you leaving Bangalore???
Yes it's the notorious Pizza Hut Signal.

What makes it worse is when I tried to reason with the officer he threatened to take me to court etc. in the rudest manner. Since I don't know the local language he must have said some other stuff which I didn't understand.

The officer's name is not on the ticket, it just has some CRR No. and rest is info on my car, name, date, place etc. It has a place for driver's signature and Officer's signature but no one has signed it. The offense is listed as Jumping Tr. Signal.

Now that you have brought it up, I also have seen traffic police men directing traffic to cross on a Red Light many times at this signal.

Anyways my stay in Bangalore has been mostly a pleasant experience. Tomorrow is my last day at work, I am leaving to pursue an MBA

Last edited by Foxbat : 6th April 2011 at 19:12.
Old 6th April 2011, 19:20   #2263
BHPian

Quote:
Dude, its nothing to do with your DL registered vehicle. I was driving my friend's civic(KA registered) the other day and I wanted to take a right at a certain signal in Sheshadripuram. A BMTC bus in front of me also wanted to go right from the leftmost lane. I paused for a moment to let the bus pass, and then continued but was stopped by the cops for signal jumping even though I was pretty sure the light was green when I passed.
No point in arguing with them because they keep giving some silly reasons really. Just paid the fine and moved on.
Old 9th April 2011, 09:58   #2264
BHPian

C'mon Arkin. I am sure we both have been driving around for some time now. Letting the car cut into my lane doesnt mean that I am braking sharply. It means that I have left enough gap in front of me and I have kept any eye out for the person trying to ride my bumper.No sudden movements to spring a surprise for anyone.

Same story as above.

Absolutely necessary.
You are neither right nor wrong in doing this.
Honestly, I think he's right. How many times do we have our rvms banged by the bikers. If we leave enough gap, we can avoid these minor scratches on the rvms as well And,we still dont have to behave like nitwits and drive with our mirrors folded to prevent it from getting scratched.

I should learn from you.
And pay the 50% depriciation & higher premium from your pocket?
And pray how much is the difference in monetory terms? Unless I am driving a Beemer, its generally around 1.5-2k INR. Thats the price most of us are willing to pay rather than getting late to work/annoyed/bad day/just being a rude person(it is stressful to be rude).
Old 9th April 2011, 13:01   #2265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
C'mon Arkin. I am sure we both have been driving around for some time now. Letting the car cut into my lane doesnt mean that I am braking sharply. It means that I have left enough gap in front of me and I have kept any eye out for the person trying to ride my bumper.No sudden movements to spring a surprise for anyone.
In case there is no sudden braking, allowing people to cut my lane from the right is totally acceptable. In fact I encourage it.

However, if someone is stuck in the right lane, and suddenly wants to get straight, and starts poking his cars nose into the "straight" lane, I don't encourage stopping for him/her.

Cars move when it is green from them, and peds when it is green for them. Period. If I happen to be in the car behind X and X suddenly happen's to stop in the middle for pedestrians to cross when it is red for them, I will probably give X a mouthful at the next signal, more so, if your car has a TeamBHP sticker, as I don't expect such an act by a Teambhpian.

Honestly, I think he's right. How many times do we have our rvms banged by the bikers. If we leave enough gap, we can avoid these minor scratches on the rvms as well And,we still dont have to behave like nitwits and drive with our mirrors folded to prevent it from getting scratched

And pray how much is the difference in monetory terms? Unless I am driving a Beemer, its generally around 1.5-2k INR. Thats the price most of us are willing to pay rather than getting late to work/annoyed/bad day/just being a rude person(it is stressful to be rude).
FYI, when my grandfather swiped our i10 against the wall while parking it for the 1st time in our narrow parking slot, the side paint protectors were replaced, and we were asked for Rs 2k (50%) from our pocket. Plus, we lost another 1.5-2k of our NCB; . Supposed a new gen i10 is side swiped by a bus, the owner stands to lose 3k for the LRVM, 2.5k for the protectors, another 2k for the door handles and 2k from the NCB. That comes to 7.5k, which is not a small amount.

What is 3rd party insurance for?
Being a rude person?? Isn't it rude for a rickshaw driver to side swipe my car at a signal, and then ask for compensation?

About me having driven for a long time, click on my profile picture and you'll find a little surprise for you.

Going by your post, you seem to be a defensive and responsible driver. Keep it up. I see that my dad/driver/grandfather are the most responsible drivers on the road, while I'm sort of an offensive co driver, towards law breakers who jump signals, come the wrong way, stop at green signals and more.

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 9th April 2011 at 13:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks