Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2011, 12:07   #2326
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20052011.jpg

For the uninitiated this is the start of the BETL flyover. The regular stunt it to go till the point where the flyover starts and then take a left turn to use the road under it. The road is wide enough actually that you can be on left side and straight away go to the hosur road avoiding BETL starting point. But people are short of time. All buses, trucks, cars , Autos do it. All the buses you see in picture will take a sharp left turn as they move closer to the start point of BETL. They recently put series of barricades but people are taking autos and even small cars through the gap.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-19052011001.jpg
However this Maxicab driver was in extra hurry. This is where the BETL road ends on electronic city side. No matter how much people honked and shouted at attendants this fellow barged in. The only option is to step put of car and give some tight slaps to both attendants and the driver. But I guess that will not be something educated people will do. And hence suffer.Notice the biker behind him. Make hay while the sun shines. Eh?

Last edited by download2live : 24th May 2011 at 12:11.
Old 24th May 2011, 12:25   #2327
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Today early morning a blind fellow driving a Red Maruti van, I am in the extreme right lane overtaking him.

There was a truck right in front of him, his pea sized brain realized a bit too late that his speed is faster than that of the truck and he needs to overtake it. While I was running parallel to him. Its his dad's road so he doesn't bother and just swerves into my lane running into my. Luckily for me I saw him pull his circus trick in time and slowed down in order to let the 'Maharaja' proceed.

Thankfully only my rear view mirror folded in and there were no dent's or scratches!

Whilst I overtake him in a bid to actually give him a piece of my mind I see that he's busy on the phone. Brilliant I say, just forget about it and move ahead not wanting to spoil my morning any further!
Old 24th May 2011, 12:33   #2328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Convenient parking spot above the Jayanagar Underpass (next to Hotel Nandhini)

Attachment 546304

This "educated" person parked his car right on the road while he was busy getting vada pav packed at Goli, BTM 2nd Stage. When I told him that his vehicle was in the middle of the road and obstructing an entire lane, he said "hasn't caused a problem as yet, so it should be fine". I just gave him an extremely disapproving look and went on with my business. One of those times when I feel common sense and road sense should be as important as money while buying a vehicle.

Attachment 546305

Attachment 546306
Hey libranof1987,

This is response to your picture posted, the Maruti Swift and 2 motor cycles parked near the underpass. I live in JP Nagar 7th phase and whenever i hunt for a spot to park my car near that traffic signal, most of the traffic cops ask me to park there. We need to obey the law, right?
Old 24th May 2011, 15:15   #2329
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalson View Post
Hey libranof1987,

This is response to your picture posted, the Maruti Swift and 2 motor cycles parked near the underpass. I live in JP Nagar 7th phase and whenever i hunt for a spot to park my car near that traffic signal, most of the traffic cops ask me to park there. We need to obey the law, right?
Well, more often than not, it is those advocating the law themselves who break the law; so you can't really trust them.

I'd rather be a more sensible motorist. There have been times when I've had cops/shopkeepers tell me, "idhar laga do, chalta hai"; never paid heed though.

More effort in finding a parking slot is better than the guilt of being an inconvenience on the road.

And everything said and done, you'll regularly find the cops' bikes standing there! :P

You never know when the same set of cops book you for a parking violation.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 24th May 2011 at 15:17.
Old 25th May 2011, 11:08   #2330
BHPian

Quote:
Well, more often than not, it is those advocating the law themselves who break the law; so you can't really trust them.

I'd rather be a more sensible motorist. There have been times when I've had cops/shopkeepers tell me, "idhar laga do, chalta hai"; never paid heed though.

More effort in finding a parking slot is better than the guilt of being an inconvenience on the road.

And everything said and done, you'll regularly find the cops' bikes standing there! :P

You never know when the same set of cops book you for a parking violation.
Hey libranof1987,

It:s true. There is absolutely no excuse to breaking the law. I stand corrected. Thank you.
Old 25th May 2011, 13:30   #2331
Senior - BHPian

Huge Traffic Jam on ORR at Bellandur Junction today. Traffic was halted from both side. Was stuck there for more than 30 minutes. Avoid ORR now incase you are in emergency.
Old 25th May 2011, 20:52   #2332
Senior - BHPian

Back after a trip to BLR, I can confidently say that nothing has changed in the city, with respect to the wonderful driving habits of individuals. Had a zillion close calls, and yet I managed to get back here in one piece, with no damage to my dad's car.
Old 27th May 2011, 11:53   #2333
Senior - BHPian

Today the Bangalore Traffic Police came up with an ingenious idea to pull over trucks for checking their papers, and stop helmetless 2 wheeler riders. There is a level crossing at Kodathi village where the 4 lane road converges to about 1.5 lanes, with two huge speedbreakers on both sides of the rails.

So the trucks have to not only slow down, but completely stop if another vehicle is on the opposite side. Even two-wheelers would have to slow down a lot. The constables would utilise this opportunity to block the way of the trucks/bikes and ask them to pullover immediately after the crossing.

I don't have to describe the result, do I?
Old 27th May 2011, 16:57   #2334
Team-BHP Support

Had the occasion to use the BETL in the morning today. Every office bus (BMTC buses leased to Infosys) hogs the right lane and cruises at a speed of 40 km/hr.

There just isn't any option but to overtake via the the left lane!
Old 27th May 2011, 17:43   #2335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had the occasion to use the BETL

There just isn't any option but to overtake via the the left lane!
That is applicable almost all over Bangalore. I find it better to indicate (as often as possible) and overtake from left quietly than to honk the living daylights out of the lane hogger to make him/her move to the left lane.

Am sure some day some TBHPian will catch me overtaking from left without indicator and put me up in Bad Drivers thread.
Old 27th May 2011, 17:51   #2336
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
That is applicable almost all over Bangalore. I find it better to indicate (as often as possible) and overtake from left quietly than to honk the living daylights out of the lane hogger to make him/her move to the left lane.

Am sure some day some TBHPian will catch me overtaking from left without indicator and put me up in Bad Drivers thread.
That's what I had to do today. And I was thinking of calling Anil and checking his schedule so I'd avoid him taking my picture!

Unfortunately though, there's only a certain extent to which you can blame the bus drivers. If they drive in the left lane, they'd have to switch to the right each time they overtake even a 2-wheeler, which would happen very frequently. Their frequent lane changes would lead to as much chaos.
Old 27th May 2011, 17:57   #2337
Senior - BHPian

Haha! Well, Anil will be gone spreading terror in Pune for some time i think. So its the Puneites who need to be on their best behavior.

Quote:
Their frequent lane changes would lead to as much chaos.
If only they had stuck to their original plan of not allowing two wheelers on BETL.
By the way, arent the roads below BETL wider?
Old 27th May 2011, 18:14   #2338
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
By the way, arent the roads below BETL wider?
Oh, completely forgot about that.

So it is 1pm, not peak traffic hour and yet the roads are packed with all trucks and lorries.

The roads are wide alright but there are 3 intersections between Silk Board and EC. So, at each junction, there is the same circus :

1) the guys on the right lane want to go straight and those in the middle realize they have to turn right. So, 1 mess there.

2) then at junctions, where is no right-turn and a few want to take a U-turn, they get stranded mid-way because the vehicles coming from the opposite lane don't bother to stop!

3) Vehicles, especially 2-wheelers from the opposite side wait almost mid-way into the junction, while the lane has the green. So, there's manuevering required from the vehicles in the right lane.

4 and very very critical) there are 2 occasions where there's the nakabandi set-up where you go zig-zag 2 times. Even at 1pm!! You have no clue how dangerous it can be when everyone's cruising at 60km/hr at suddenly vehicles start braking and swerving.

The service lanes are a machhi-bazaar anyway.

It is unparalled bliss to drive on the BETL!
Old 27th May 2011, 19:42   #2339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
That's what I had to do today. And I was thinking of calling Anil and checking his schedule so I'd avoid him taking my picture!
Wednesday's and Friday's - you're free to do as you like. however, in case you're caught on candid camera, you'll get one opportunity to make it right.. you know what i mean

Quote:
Haha! Well, Anil will be gone spreading terror in Pune for some time i think. So its the Puneites who need to be on their best behavior.
hehe.. its Chennai first (tomorrow), then Pune!
Old 28th May 2011, 09:49   #2340
Team-BHP Support

8pm on a weekday on BTM 100ft rd; and this idiot decides to save a few moments in the traffic, risking his entire life.

Crossing over thru' the divider!

On the T-BHP meet drive yesterday/today, I lost count of how many times there were vehicles without reflectors at the rear moving at ~30km/hr in the right lane. Lost count!
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-moto_0020.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks